PDA

View Full Version : Reviving the Nightmare Before Christmas sync idea...

hushypushy
06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
so yesterday i decided to actually try out the Nightmare before Christmas/Ænima sync-up, and you know what, it's pretty neat, i wish i did this years ago. it's not like the Wizard of Oz/DSOTM sync where it's exact, but like someone else has said, it's like an extended music video for the entire album.

Stinkfist syncs up very well--probably because the songs (stinkfist and the intro tune) are same/similar beat. there are lots of coincidences, it makes you wonder whether they intended it or not (but i'm sure they didn't). the rest of the album has some coincidental syncs.

to anyone who is interested, this is a list of things that i can remember from when i watched it yesterday:

Stinkfist:
-the opening music seems to fit very well into the "falling" intro, and the music times with the opening of the pumpkin door
-the ghosts on the graves seem to be singing with maynard
-"to breathe, to feel, to know i'm alive" syncs perfectly with the 4 pumpkins falling on the stakes (if you are attempting this sync, you know you have it perfect when to breathe to feel to know i'm alive syncs perfectly with the falling of the pumpkins)
-when you see the cat (or whatever it is under the stairs), the eyes split apart in perfect timing with "turn around and take my hand"
-when the gates open and the mayor comes through, the music changes
-when Jack rises out of the water, the music changes tones and fits the mood of the crowd
-it looks like the mayor is saying "how can this mean anything to me"
-when they confront Jack, the music goes to the bassline
-the song ends with perfect timing as Jack stalks around the corner..and this begins Eulogy...and thus less syncs/more things i forgot because i've seen Stinkfist like 5 times and the rest of the film only once

-Stinkfist/Eulogy is perfectly transitioned as Jack stops, then the scene changes to the graveyard
-Eulogy/H transitions perfectly as Jack arrives at Christmastown
-Useful Idiot and Ions are the only times that you see the Mayor in his cart with the big megaphone blasting his message...interesting, these are the white noise tracks
-the Hooker with a Penis part is kind of funny, you have to watch it
-Pushit is interesting, more because the tones flow, rather than any syncs...
-Cesaro Summability, where you hear the baby crying, you see a kid crying
-Ænema, at the very end of the song with that drumroll and the quick ending, is when Santa and the ladder get sucked off
-Third Eye, i have no idea, my sister's DVD player froze for like 5 seconds during the end of Ions so i didnt get to finish watching...

there are A LOT more syncs than that. those are the ones that i remember from my casual watching last night (maybe i should take notes?). there are various lyrical syncs but i dont count those because some are rather stupid and they are all pointless.

anyway, i highly doubt that Tool actually considered this movie when they made the album. HOWEVER it's a neat watch, it's definitely not a waste of time at all, especially if you love Ænima. you get a nice visualization and get to listen to Tool.

for those interested, you start Stinkfist at about 9.5 seconds into the DVD, or if your DVD player doesnt have a timer, right at the moment when the Touchstone logo fades out. like i said, you know it's perfect if "to breathe to feel to know im alive" fits with the pumpkins falling.

if i figure out how, i'll make a music video for Stinkfist out of the beginning of this movie...i have an idea with Premiere Pro, but i was hoping for something more simple...

hushypushy
06-16-2006, 12:47 AM
to provoke more interest, here is the video of Stinkfist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKj2yOzj1I

youtube fucked up the sync a little---its still watchable and enjoyable, but it bugs me because the audio is a fraction of a second (maybe 1/4 second) ahead of where it should be. i had a better version on google video but they deleted me for being against the rules. bitches.

blood_wh0re
06-16-2006, 03:15 PM
That's NEAT-O.

Kochipahk
06-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I've gotta try this out sometime. Thanks for that.

fivenichols
07-01-2006, 07:56 AM
It would be much easier if someone could get a hold of a rip movie and edit the two together on the computer, with Windows Movie Maker or Pinnacle or Premiere. That way everytime you watch it, it's perfectly synched.

hushypushy
07-01-2006, 11:15 AM
did you watch the clip i made at all....? i ripped Stinkfist to my computer and i ripped NBC to my computer, and i combined them in VirtualDub (premiere pro 1.5 pukes when i feed it MPEG2..).

i'm looking out for a way to remaster the DVD with the entire Ænima audio. i have a Wizard of Oz/Dark Side of the Moon DVD with the audio added (in 5.1!), so i know it's possible. i just have to devote time to researching it and whatnot.

and then maybe i'll make some undercover thing distributing it until Volcano sends me a cease and desist letter, who knows...

chonus
07-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Sweet, i talked about this in another thread.

i'll post a review soon, too.

mike09
08-21-2006, 12:16 PM
holy crap thats awesome

lizbiz
09-01-2006, 08:46 AM
It looks so cool because it almost looks like a Tool video.

Chris_Brightwell
09-01-2006, 08:57 AM
It would be much easier if someone could get a hold of a rip movie and edit the two together on the computer, with Windows Movie Maker or Pinnacle or Premiere. That way everytime you watch it, it's perfectly synched.
I have a VCD of it.

mr. nikki jensen
09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
kinda cool kinda funny anyway!

hushypushy
09-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a VCD of it.

is it the same "version" i made? when i posted this video on youtube i was the only Tool/NBC sync, now there are several. and not to toot my own horn, but i still think mine is the best. i'm pretty sure i followed the directions i found in threads you (and others) posted in 3+ years ago.

i really want to make this into a DVD (for home watching), but i can't figure out how to make another audio channel out of the WAV of the album. i wonder if DVD shrink can do it...if i ever make any progress with that i'll see if i can distro it, under the radar i mean, heh...i dont think Volcano would be too happy with that.

Chris_Brightwell
09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
No, that's not the only one.

The version I have is better, IMO. I've seen several versions, and I think this is the best overall sync, from opening scene to the closing credits.

Alex in Chains
09-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for this thread, hushypushy. I tried this a few years ago, but no one was able to give me very good advice on when to start it. I watched this last night -- with a slightly open third eye -- and I loved it. I used to like the Lateralus sync -- which also works pretty well -- but this was really great. "Pushit" was my favorite part by far.

And what exactly were you referring to regarding "Hooker with a Penis"?

Alex in Chains
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
-Ænema, at the very end of the song with that drumroll and the quick ending, is when Santa and the ladder get sucked off

Hehehe . . .

Metalgod666
09-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I tried once but halfway through Eulogy I decided I wasn't in the mood to hear Tool over the movie and turned it off

hushypushy
09-10-2006, 02:35 PM
And what exactly were you referring to regarding "Hooker with a Penis"?

i dunno, the lyrics (about selling out and dumbass fans) made me laugh at the time, i wish i would've written down my thoughts more so i could explain better. i just remember getting a chuckle out of it.

and i wasn't stoned. i think that's the most important thing for me, i can't believe i actually watched and enjoyed this while sober.

and does anyone know where to start the sync for Lateralus? i may make a thread in Lateralus discussion but you know what, every time i make a sync thread i get shit for it (the one i had in 10kd section was closed because of dumb fuckers going offtopic, and i had a badass sync too).