PDA

View Full Version : too deep

Ving Vangston
04-18-2003, 08:23 AM
I find all of the interpretations of Tool lyrics to be most interesting but also far too involved. You have to take the song(s) for what it is worth which is a created piece of art. Now what can you do with that piece of art? A painting is a piece of art, you purchase it becuase you either like the way it looks or compliments the room in which you display it, but you dont spend all this time trying to figure out the mood of the creator while he/she painted it. And you dont hang it on your wall because you are trying to impress people(i dont at least) because who really cares what some loser thinks of your taste, you like it because it gives you a certain feel when you look at it. Back to the music... with that sound that you found a love for you get the most out of it possible whether it be emotional or physical strength or whatever. . When you listen to music, whether it be with the volume blasting or just so you can hear it is personal preferance. How you feel that music is what can make the diference. Prior to my first Tool concert i did exactly the same as the posters on this site with the lyrics which was try and figure out what all the songs meant and why. Durring the concert i attended the sound quality on the vocals was extremely poor and you could barley hear what Manard James Keenan was saying. I spent the first two songs trying to strain myself into hearing exactly what was being said. Once that became too much of a pain in the ass i gave up and thought of Manards vocals as more of another instrument playing along furiously with the other three members of the band. Looking into the lyrics and spending all this time trying to figure out the literal meaing behind the song to me was a waste of time. Hearing the music and loving that created sound is what can allow you to lose yourself and travel into a certain realm of your mind or part of your body that you would otherwise never come in contact with. As if in a state of meditation allowing the beholder to relax, get fired up, think of a loved one who may have fallen to an untimely death, contact thoughts hidden within the mind and release them, or gain strenth that would otherwise never be found. Whichever member of the song put the lyrics together of course has their own meaning and reason behind the words written, so why would i want to spend all of my time trying to figure out what that person is tyring to say when all that matters really is how i feel and what i believe in becuase i am mine and i love how that sound allows me to do so much traveling with out moving a finger.. My mind belongs to me and i can use it how ever i fancy. As a release, a resting place, a canvas, or whatever i feel at any moment. My mind is a time machine, my mind is a a think tank, my mind is all that is human and what makes up my being on this planet. I think all the interpretors need to sit back, turn on their favorite Tool album and just listen. You'll be suprised at where the music takes you. My feelings and my emotions are what makes ME and who I am. I dont care what YOU think of ME. Peace be with and thanks for reading my thoughts. I'm gonna go make a sandwich.

Flojob
04-18-2003, 07:40 PM
i agree with what you say, although i find it hard to believe that you dont care at all about what people think of you. I try not to but i still do a little. I dont think it is bad to try and figure out what the lyrics mean. I think that is actually a good thing, because not only does the sound of the a vocalists voice make the song that much better, but it is what the lyrics mean to yourself. I think analysing is a good thing as long as you try and figure at what it means to you. That is a problem i have with this board is that i tend to be more influenced by what other people think and dont listen to myself enough. So all in all analysing the lyrics is good as long as you arent influenced too much by what other people think, and go mostly by what you truely think. The lyrics are there for self interpretation. That is why the band never really tells you what the songs mean, and if they do they are reluctant.

Ving Vangston
04-24-2003, 11:56 AM
I agree mostly with what you are saying in reply to my original thought. But believe it...i dont care what others think of me, thats why i am me and you are you. Spending too much time thinking of what others think of you doesnt leave enough time for yourself and god knows what else. I could get hit by a car and ended this afternoon on my way to the gym so why should i spend any of my preciouse time caring what others think of me. There is too much beauty in and on this earth that deserve so much more of my interest before i pass. And with the lyrics, i agree with what you are saying also. If you can find yourself in any of the song lyrics then more power to you. But if you spend all this time trying to figure out the point or message the creator is trying to make then you are waisting your time. Thinking for yourself is a very powerfull thing to do and most people dont take enough advantage of it. Ones own mind is such an intricate object. Most people dont do enough exploring of their own to realize how amazing it is and always will be. I like Tool because of how the music makes me feel when i listen to them and how they can create such an energy provoking sound.

paraflux
04-28-2003, 10:51 AM
All of your feelings are relative to yourself. Others can empathize with you if they like, but it doesnt change the fact that your likes and dislikes are your own. I personally love looking for the secret areas that Tool's music provides. I like all the cryptic-ness. I enjoy understanding what others do not, or will not due to their lack of patience and attention span. Sure, the beauty is in the way the music carries you to other realms, but you can enjoy the search for the real meaning along the way. The band doesnt care whether or not we ever decipher what is being said. They simply do the best they can and know that they are doing the right thing. Far be it from me to say "Hey, Maynard, you suck for being so deep. Can you bring it on down a little so that all of the underlings can understand?" Besides, he is bringing it down already; putting what he says into words is not an easy task or a desirable one. It's hard. It's like going back to kissing after you have already copped a feel under the skirt. The biggest message the band brings is how to teach yourself. What's so vague about that? Why do you feel like you cant be yourself if you hear that you are supposed to teach yourself? Maynard rarely speaks from his personal perspective in THIS band. The perspective shifts with the song's needs. The message is always reflected through him and the three other guys up there through whatever metaphor or example is necessary.
I'm not bashing you for not wanting to delve into the mysteries. But I will let you know that the message will not go unheard through me. I will look forward to the next encrypted messages from the mind of these four guys.

And I do not waste my time.

gaping_lotus
04-29-2003, 11:19 AM
I must agree Paraflux.

The meaning that can be found, whether hidden or not, is one of the reasons that TooL is one of the (if not THE) most important hard rock acts of the last decade. If you are not into TooL in order to understand what they are saying, and to draw your own conclusions, in my opinion, you're not in it for the right reasons. But, these are your conclusions to draw. I have chosen to think for myself, which means, finding, my own meanings within TooL's music. Whether it be the Drums, Bass, Guitar or Vocals, that inspire me to travel down the spiral, is of little or no importance. The important thing is that I am travelling on a spiral, through this cyclical chaos, looking for my own meaning, something that I deem worth believing in. No causes, no greed, just my feelings bouncing off the beautiful sounds, creating meaning within myself. The songs may be important, but without me inserting my thoughts, they don't have a MEaning.... not to me anyway. I don't see how you could listen to this beauty, yet refuse to look deeper. I think that may denote something about yourself which you are afraid of discovering. Since any meaning you find in song is a direct reflection of your life, maybe your refusal to find meaning suggests some hidden agony.

If you are not interested in looking to deeply into Tool's music I'm not sure why you are posting here. that is all

praga
05-13-2003, 09:03 PM
let's see...
o/~ Maynard's Dick.....o/~

wait, i shouldn't take that too deep tho.
maynard's dick that is
it might hurt my 4 degree hotter ass

good god man, what's the point of saying don't get so deep on a fucking opinon site about lyrics? Maybe humming along would suffice? Opps, i did it again
I made un-educated and ignorant comments on a web site
don't take it too deep tho
maynard's dick that is

Ving Vangston
05-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Easy Dr. Phil.

Ving Vangston
05-22-2003, 12:41 PM
did you know that if you count the lines in your shits you can tell how long it took to digest?

sircorn
05-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Ving, good insite, but I fucking hate you. No im j/k lol. Did you care? well it was wortha try.

Hey where are you from in mass? im from Northbridge. Just curious.

Ving Vangston
05-26-2003, 05:35 PM
I'm from the lowell area. you hate me!? yes i do care. i care a lot. ;-) i have nothing else to say. goodnight.

DisgracedEffigy
05-28-2003, 11:35 AM
I'm from Canton (Near Brockton, Stoughton, Randolph)... we should have a Tool party or something one day.