PDA

View Full Version : Talk box - live and on the recording

Jimmeny
06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Now, listening to the recording, I guess I just kind of assumed Adam had used the talk box with his guitar. I.e, put the guitar through the talk box, and then (on the recording) double tracked it with another guitar that wasn't talk boxed.

Yet, live, I do believe Adam used his mouth and sang the talkbox solo, aswell as playing the guitar. Were my eyes decieving me?

If not, it leads me to this question...

On the record, is he singing it there too, or is it the guitar put through the talkbox?

JuanWarez
06-15-2006, 11:52 AM
The talkbox is used on jambi and rosetta stoned, some weird "wah like" pedal is used on the pot.

Jimmeny
06-15-2006, 12:29 PM
lol, I know what a talkbox is, and where it's used, I'm asking how it's used. Read my post again, thnx.

Dolophane
06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm not really sure what you're asking. First, I think you need to understand what a talkbox does: you don't necessarily "sing" into it, you just move your mouth over a tube which alters the sound of the guitar. You have to be playing the guitar while mouthing over the tube otherwise you're not altering the sound of anything. Did that make any sense as per your question?

Juan, there is no talkbox in Rosetta Stoned.

Jimmeny
06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
AHHH, maybe I don't know what a talkbox is then, hehe, that answers my question fine, hehe.

JuanWarez
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Juan, there is no talkbox in Rosetta Stoned.

My mistake, for some reason I thought that around 7:20 he used one. Don't know how I got that in my head.

eonphi
06-15-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm not really sure what you're asking. First, I think you need to understand what a talkbox does: you don't necessarily "sing" into it, you just move your mouth over a tube which alters the sound of the guitar. You have to be playing the guitar while mouthing over the tube otherwise you're not altering the sound of anything. Did that make any sense as per your question?

adam uses a microphone...not a "tube"...i understand what u mean by this...but he does not use this method live..

Dolophane
06-15-2006, 03:29 PM
adam uses a microphone...not a "tube"...i understand what u mean by this...but he does not use this method live..
I saw them in Chicago from the fifth row, had a pretty good shot of Adam during the solo. A talkbox has a tube coming out of it that goes up a microphone stand. It may look like he's using the microphone, but he isn't.

Like this:
http://pinkvoyd.com/common/PhotoPageImages/Walter_Talkbox.jpg
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/equipment/micstand.jpg

Dolophane
06-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Whoa - we can imbed images now?

Jimmeny
06-15-2006, 03:36 PM
We always could, I just don't think we're meant to. Thanks for the pics, this was what had been confusing me, looked from a where I was in the balcony like he was using a mic.

Dolophane
06-15-2006, 03:39 PM
We always could, I just don't think we're meant to. Thanks for the pics, this was what had been confusing me, looked from a where I was in the balcony like he was using a mic.
No shit? Every other time I have used the [img] tags, it just put up a link. Strange.

Yeah, I used to think you plugged the mic straight into the talkbox, too.

black_rose
06-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Yes he does you plonker, i seen him do it less than a week ago.

Edit: I think i read that wrong you are saying he does it with the mic live, soz.

elusive_
06-17-2006, 09:34 AM
The sound goes out the tube into your mouth where you alter it by changing the shape of your mouth. The mic then pics it up again and runs the signal to a seperate PA/Amp.
Altho there are a few new talkboxes that make the process a little simpler.