PDA

View Full Version : The String Quartet's Tribute to Tool's Aenima

AloneOnceAgain97
06-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Anyone heard this album yet? It was just released this year. It's a full "reimagination" of the album... From the beginning to the end, all on violin, violla, cello, and contrabass. They even put the segues into strings.

I thought this was a great concept. However, with it just being a quartet and not a symphony, it sounds like... Something's missing. The dynamics between the instruments is at times absolutely horrible, and at times the instruments are so off with one another that it is almost unrecognizable.

After listening, I decided it was merely an easy way for a couple of guys to make a few bucks.

It would have been great had they spent more than the maybe 2 or 3 days (likely) they did recording it... Third Eye is only like 5 minutes. What a joke.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

martyrinexile86
06-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Haven't heard it, although I am interested in the various string tributes. Which one would you suggest (if any)?

AloneOnceAgain97
06-15-2006, 02:18 PM
The one I bought was decent, I guess. All you'll find is quartets, which, if you're expecting a powerful spymphonic sound like I was, will disapoint you. A bought the one titled the same as the thread title. It was released on Vitamin records.

I also saw a piano tribute that interested me.

But until (IF) the music is actually put to symphony, I'm staying away from any more string tributes. 8 people on already quiet instruments, with almost NO percussion other than taps on the instrument bodies, just don't seem to pump hard enough for Tool.

Chort
06-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Third Eye Open is pretty good, if you can find it that is.

hushypushy
06-16-2006, 12:51 AM
this one is absolutely horrible. they demolished this amazing album like a high school cover band would (just using different instruments).

if anyone should cover tool, it should be a full orchestra.

by the way, aloneonceagain97, which version of this do you have? i have "The String Quartet Tribute to Tool's Aenima" and my Third Eye is 12:50. i do agree with all your other comments though.

JOK3R
06-16-2006, 02:38 AM
third eye open is really good get that one

AloneOnceAgain97
06-16-2006, 09:45 AM
this one is absolutely horrible. they demolished this amazing album like a high school cover band would (just using different instruments).

if anyone should cover tool, it should be a full orchestra.

by the way, aloneonceagain97, which version of this do you have? i have "The String Quartet Tribute to Tool's Aenima" and my Third Eye is 12:50. i do agree with all your other comments though.
Yeah, that's the one I have.

It sounds like it was recorded by some high school or maybe underclassmen college orchestra students. Hmmm... Maybe Third Eye just seemed like 5 minutes because most of the rythyms were wrong and/or greatly shortened. Either way, it was deffinately too short.

I listened to it again today and the violin in Forty-Six & 2 (which acts as the melody-Maynard's voice) has maynards lyrical rythym wrong at least 4 times throughout the album. It's like the group learned it wrong, then never changed it.

I saw Third Eye Open, but I decided against it because it was a compilation of Tool songs. This one was the album straight through, which I thought would be a cool experience... Evidently not. The more I listen to it, the more I dislike it.

hushypushy
06-16-2006, 02:32 PM
i havent even fully listened to it thoroughly, i listened to most of it, and in fragments. i listened to third eye all the way through when i wrote my previous post and man....it is terrible. soooooo bad.

kind of reminds me, a few years back, when tribute albums were a lot less common (now every band has a tribute album, im waiting for the tributes to the tributes), i saw a system of a down tribute album, some band covering Toxicity, and proceeds went to some charity. it was dirt cheap so i picked it up. man, it was sooooo bad. the vocals were terrible and some of the songs were just played plain WRONG.

do these people even try? do they even enjoy the music that they cover? i mean seriously, what's the deal? i've seen better cover versions of songs by dudes on Youtube, for chrissakes

AloneOnceAgain97
06-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I picked mine up for 20 bucks... Thats quite expensive, considering it's a COVER album by a bunch of no-names. It's just an easy way to make money.

I noticed on my jewel case that it said cd # 9100 or something around there... So evidently, they sell quite a few. Since they don't make the music, they have no passion for it, so that may explain the problems associated with it.

Not to mention, most people who play instruments other than common rock instruments are highly egotistical (generally speaking)... These guys changed up a bunch of stuff on this album. I don't know if they think they're so damn good that they can change music that has already been composed at will, or what... But they're not hot shit.

Marshy
06-17-2006, 10:20 AM
i havent even fully listened to it thoroughly, i listened to most of it, and in fragments. i listened to third eye all the way through when i wrote my previous post and man....it is terrible. soooooo bad.

kind of reminds me, a few years back, when tribute albums were a lot less common (now every band has a tribute album, im waiting for the tributes to the tributes), i saw a system of a down tribute album, some band covering Toxicity, and proceeds went to some charity. it was dirt cheap so i picked it up. man, it was sooooo bad. the vocals were terrible and some of the songs were just played plain WRONG.

do these people even try? do they even enjoy the music that they cover? i mean seriously, what's the deal? i've seen better cover versions of songs by dudes on Youtube, for chrissakes

the ramones were a happy family tribute is very good.

hushypushy
06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
yeah but that one actually has professional bands like metallica, rhcp, marilyn manson, etc. i was talking more about the amateur bands that make crappy generic tributes.

every band starts out playing covers (that's how Pantera got their start), but jeez, you don't have to make an album out of it.

martyr
06-19-2006, 04:16 AM
get third eye open, its realllly goood

Divine_left
06-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Tribute albums, in general, are awful. The string / symphony ones are the worst kind.

AloneOnceAgain97
06-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I saw Third Eye Open, but decided not to get it because it was a compilation of Tool songs as opposed to an album straight through. I thought the latter would be an interesting experience...

Evidently not.

Alex in Chains
09-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I came here to start this exact thread, only to ask if anyone had heard this record. Now I know not to buy it. Thanks. And in my opinion, Third Eye Open is a waste of money. The only really good string tributes I've heard are Apocalyptica's first tribute to Metallica (and while I no longer dig Metallica, I can still listen to that record) and one of the Pink Floyd tributes (Us and Them, I think).

The record called simply A Tribute to Tool, the one with all the electronic and darkwave artists, is really fucking good, and I'm not normally a big fan of that kind of music. I would recommend it.