PDA

View Full Version : For the bass players more expierenced than me....ampeg vs gallien

clown137
06-13-2006, 12:18 PM
So heres the thought. I am interested in buying a pre-amp along with an 6x10 or 8x10 stack. My problem is I dont know which to choose for my 2000 poweramp, ampeg or GK. My real trouble is when i read review that talk about that "Ampeg sound" or whatever. Can any one elraborate on this, as well as tell me about your personal opinons regarding the brand towards the style of music.

waurbenyeger
06-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Well, I have the GK 1001rb head. This head was fucking amazing, until it quit working on me. 2.5 years i've been using that amp, 2 year warranty. It may just be defective in some way, but I was talking to this old timer once that was telling me about how he had a GK amp that went to shit right away too. They're amazing amps when they work. SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY FUCKING DOLLAR AMP, up and quits while i'm jamming with my friend. Man, it sucks. Yea, I don't know where i'm going with this. I have the GK 4 x 10 RBH cab too. One of the connectors from where the wire hooks up to the sub itself came apart on that once too. Had to solder it back on. Meh, if I had the choice i'd go Ampeg, just because a) I don't have much experience with Ampeg b) GK pisses me off.

Samjolnir
06-18-2006, 07:22 PM
I've played on Ampeg, and they sound very good. They're also quite reliable. I've heard that GK is a lot like a Gibson guitar - sounds like God, but really easy to fuck up. My amp of choice is a Hartke, but if you were to choose between the two, I'd go with an Ampeg, on the basis of pure structural integrity.

psilomind
06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
For a preamp, I'd recommend an Aguilar DB924... it being an outboard encasement of the OBP-1, a preamp of choice for a lot of high-end active basses. I use what is essentially a propriety version of the same basic design and have absolutely no complaints.

I'm not exactly sure you'd want to get a 2000 watt (or at least I assume you were referring to wattage) poweramp, though. For the same price, you could get a much higher quality 200 or so watt amp, which would be sufficiently loud for most band settings. Keep in mind that volume grows logarithmically with respect to power, and that a 2000 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 200 watt one despite being ten times more "powerful" and a fuck of a lot more expensive. My amp at the moment is the 350W Hartke, which is notable in that it was cheap, performs well enough and is as I've learned in the least pleasant way possible a rather rugged piece of hardware... still functioning perfectly after having been knocked over, from attention, flat onto pavement. The Hartke cabinets I run it through (VX410 and VX115) are pretty satisfactory as well, but these again are most notable for their affordability, so if you have the means, I'd follow overwhelming opinion in saying Ampeg equipment is choice stuff.

Style of music has less to do with amplification and more to do with the instrument itself, so I doubt there's much about that to be said here.