PDA

View Full Version : 46+2

Astrogalis
04-17-2003, 01:09 PM
I've listened to this song for a long time and i think i am finaly begining to understand it.

I understand to 46+2 thing thanks to the FAQ and a little research. but i don't think this is going to happen with the way things are these days. After reading a little on evolution and knowing some things from school i don't think we will be evolving into anything new unless our species has a reason for it. Thanks to technology that has made our lives easyer, it has also taken away any danger to our species. Without a threat there is no reason or way to evolve, because evolution is making a adaptation to one's environment in order to survive. We have no reason to evolve if there is no treat to us. There is no threat due to technology..

but i could be wrong

There is no spoon
11-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Technology will allow us to evolve. For example...we will eventually lose our "pinky" toe because of shoes - no more need for it. Humans in a few thousand years will only have 8 toes.

Exarch
12-03-2006, 11:58 AM
this has really changed my outlook on 46 & 2, you can see that the narrator wants the change, but isnt getting it, "picking my scabs again" "digging through my old muscles" and is even trying to force the change by digging down into the unknown. Does anyone else feel a connection between this song ond stinkfist by the way? I feel that the constant need for over stimulation due to desensitisation could fuel the need for change, evolution, and could lead to trying to force the change.

Khastra_KSC
12-03-2006, 12:04 PM
this song is definaltly a frustrated song... much like stinkfist...

the speaker is so tired of it that he is trying to force the change....
he/she is sick of it....

when they do this live, at the very end maynard is almost slamming his mic into the ground over and over... at least sometimes.

i think this is a very angry and frustrated song....

jim39n
12-03-2006, 11:06 PM
it seems frustrated at the begining, but as the song progresses it seems more hopeful, or perhaps sure that the change will occur. i think the evolution referenced is less the physical sort and more a metaphor for spiritual growth. perhaps spiritual growth attained and described in H.

fretforyourfigure462
12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
I think in 46&2 what they are implying is we as humans are evolving, [like jim39n said] spiritually and emotionally. I don't think this song is really talking about the physical aspect of it. But in essence, I think it's one of Tool's deepest songs. After first hearing and understanding it, I felt like persuing my intentions on overcoming my obstacles. I think that's really what the song is about...changing...overcoming...picking off your scabs and digging for the truth of who you are.