PDA

View Full Version : Part of a Constant Theme

elysianfields
06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Alright, once again I have no time to read through every thread and post here to see if anyone else has mentioned this, but.... (If so dont be too harsh)

I believe this song is Maynard singing about how his mother's death kind of woke him up to the stark realization of life and death, and how serious that is. Lyrics to Jambi are as follows.

"The devil and his had me down.
In love with the dark side I've found.
Dabbling all the way down.
Up to my neck soon to drown.
But you changed that all for me.
Lifted me up, turned me round."

I believe this song is about Maynard realizing how serious death is and that his mother's death woke him up to the truth that he was dabbling in with the dark side (aka satan) over his head. We all know Tool is not exactly Christian by any means, but this song seems to say that Maynard realized his "dealings" with the "dark side" and his mother's death turned that around for him. Lifted him up. Maybe Maynard has accepted a new worldview?

Gnome_Chomsky
06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I dont really think that religion has that much to do with any of it. Maynard likely just uses "the devil" as a symbol for the overall darkness of his lyrics ect. I beleive that if this is about his mom, maybe her death helped him realise that he was focusing on the darksides of life too much.

littlejason
06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I dont really think that religion has that much to do with any of it. Maynard likely just uses "the devil" as a symbol for the overall darkness of his lyrics ect. I beleive that if this is about his mom, maybe her death helped him realise that he was focusing on the darksides of life too much.

THANK YOU! How many other people are of this opinion? Look through the lyrics and think about it guys, it makes perfect sense!

elysianfields
06-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Exactly, thats exactly what I am trying to point out. Yes I'll agree that it may not be about religion, but it is definitely a change in perspective.

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
but maynard isnt a satanist . He just isnt a christian. I do believe he practices tai chi. Wich in part has hinduism in there beleifs.

Maynard is Satan... Just look at him.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
If I were satan I think that I would throw rocks at crippled children. That seems like a pretty evil thing to do.

bellamadia
06-13-2006, 05:06 PM
If I were satan I think that I would throw rocks at crippled children. That seems like a pretty evil thing to do.

That's just plain wrong. lol

rogerdoger
06-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Holy shit... Why is everyone so obsessed with Maynard possibly being christian? Does it really matter that much. And no, I don't think this has anything to do with religion in anyway, I agree with DJR.

bwood99x
06-13-2006, 08:14 PM
kinda goes with him saying his mother "certainly saved [a life]" on 10k