PDA

View Full Version : Neurosis anyone?

Panesthesia
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
This song to me, sound's very similar to Neurosis - The Tide [A Sun That Never Sets - 2001]

Anyone else thought this?

The whole idea with the two songs being merged as one was also explored by Neorsis / Tribes Of Neurot. It would seem as though Aaron Turner's love of Neurosis has rubbed off on Tool.

(My apologies if this has been posted already)

wsoh24
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Glad to see another Neurosis fan on board. One of my all time favorites, although I'm partial to Enemey of the Sun/Through Silver/Times of Grace era. I haven't listened to ASTNS in a long time so I'll have to check out the comparison. I would die a happy man if Neurosis opened for Tool but I know it will never happen.

AMF
06-24-2006, 04:27 PM
NEUROSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOK3R
06-24-2006, 05:55 PM
i have a friend that always says neurosis is exactly like tool. i never really heard it. i like the band and everything but dont think they are that similar.

mulhollanddriven
06-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Ive seen Neurosis live twice and they were very cool. They have this crusty old guy running this old 70s projector for the visuals for the show. And they are nice in person.

ATARI
06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Neurosis is like Isis but even MORE drawn out

EulogyCallinMe
06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Neurosis is amazing, i cant wait for their new album, but just for the record they totally dont sound like tool. maybe a little but hardly. as for the song comparisons i havent noticed anything off hand but then i wasnt really listening for it before i'll give it a listen.

wsoh24
07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I agree that Tool and Neurosis don't have the same sound. There can be many comparisons between the two though. I somewhat lump Tool, Neurosis, and Pink Floyd together when making comparisons. All very talented, all make very "moody" music, all can and have made great music that can be compared as a wall of sound while being very intricate among other similarities. As for Tool and Neurosis specifically, trace their careers from what their music sounded like early to what they sound like now, and you can see they have taken very similar paths. Longer songs, less all out aggression and more calculated emotion. For lack of a better description a more mature sound.

Like Panesthesia mentioned about the Neurosis/Tribes of Neurot songs merging. If you haven't listened to the mesh of Neurosis - Times of Grace and Tribes of Neurot - Grace try and find a copy. I don't think they ever released a studio copy of both recordings on one but many people have edited them together with great results. Tribes of Neurot is Neurosis but just experiments noise so the melding of the two albums was intentional not some Dark side of the moon/Wizard of Oz coincidence.

justify_denials
07-03-2006, 07:03 PM
I agree that Tool and Neurosis don't have the same sound. There can be many comparisons between the two though. I somewhat lump Tool, Neurosis, and Pink Floyd together when making comparisons. All very talented, all make very "moody" music, all can and have made great music that can be compared as a wall of sound while being very intricate among other similarities. As for Tool and Neurosis specifically, trace their careers from what their music sounded like early to what they sound like now, and you can see they have taken very similar paths. Longer songs, less all out aggression and more calculated emotion. For lack of a better description a more mature sound.

Like Panesthesia mentioned about the Neurosis/Tribes of Neurot songs merging. If you haven't listened to the mesh of Neurosis - Times of Grace and Tribes of Neurot - Grace try and find a copy. I don't think they ever released a studio copy of both recordings on one but many people have edited them together with great results. Tribes of Neurot is Neurosis but just experiments noise so the melding of the two albums was intentional not some Dark side of the moon/Wizard of Oz coincidence.
Yeah, but the very ending of 2001: a space odyssey (24 minutes long. 1968) syncs up perfectly to Pink Floyd's "Echoes" (24 minutes long. 1972) And floyd said they declined a offer from Kubrick to make a soundtrack. Declined? sure! Did it anyways? Of course! Coincidence? No fucking way!!! Whats to say that Pink floyd did not make an album in 1973 to sync over a movie that was made in, what was it, 1939? Yet, then 2 years later make another movie (Wish you were here. 1975) to sync up perfectly with another movie, "It's a wonderful life. 1946). Fucking coincidence?!?! Hell, I heard even Jerry Garcia experimented with playing and syncing some of his guitar work over movies. I am no professional and I can do it. Why can't Floyd?

wsoh24
07-04-2006, 06:25 AM
I am no professional and I can do it. Why can't Floyd?

Of course they can. I just don't think they did. My comment wasn't a dig at Floyd. It was merely intended to show that the Neurosis/Tribes of Neurot thing was designed, from both sides, to work as one. While the DSOTM/Oz may have been also, I just don't think that is the case.

justify_denials
07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
They arent one of the most popular classic rock bands of all time, for no reason.....
You ask me, I say, yes the 2001/echoes sync was infact on purpose. It fits so perfectly and there is no doubt that it is coincidence. Now for the other syncs, it really is hard to say.

justify_denials
07-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I mean, if pink floyd did do what these "theorys" say they did, then I definately think TOOL would be able to take things to a whole new level. Not just a band making music, but making music with a bigger picture in mind. Like using horses to pull a carriage was big, but then we came to the industrial era and we came up with gas powered vheicles.Considering that did in fact happen, then why can't these theorys about Floyd and TOOL be true? See where I am going with this? Evolution of human technology/capabilitiy in different states and time/forms. I say its not far from the truth to say that TOOL is the Pink Floyd of the 70's.

wsoh24
07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
They arent one of the most popular classic rock bands of all time, for no reason.....
You ask me, I say, yes the 2001/echoes sync was infact on purpose. It fits so perfectly and there is no doubt that it is coincidence. Now for the other syncs, it really is hard to say.

I can't comment on the 2001/echoes sync because I have never witnessed it or even heard about really until now. The only one I am disputing is the Wizard of Oz one. From David Gilmour.

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty4/sounds/dv_dsotmwo-oz.mp3

I mean, if pink floyd did do what these "theorys" say they did, then I definately think TOOL would be able to take things to a whole new level. Not just a band making music, but making music with a bigger picture in mind. Like using horses to pull a carriage was big, but then we came to the industrial era and we came up with gas powered vheicles.Considering that did in fact happen, then why can't these theorys about Floyd and TOOL be true? See where I am going with this? Evolution of human technology/capabilitiy in different states and time/forms. I say its not far from the truth to say that TOOL is the Pink Floyd of the 70's.

I NEVER disputed the talent of Pink Floyd or Tool. In fact if you read again I said I lump them together in some respects when making comparisons. I consider Tool to be the modern day version of Pink Floyd. I never said anything to the contrary.

The fact that you have turned a harmless comment that wasn't even what the topic was about into a near attack of my opinion as to wether or not some trivial event (Floyd/Oz sync) even happened is ridiculous. It seems that you entered the conversation looking for an argument.

In short. I never said that music or human existence cannot or hasn't evolved. I simply said that I do not think Pink Floyd wrote DOSTM to sync with the Wizard of Oz. Read into that all you want. Could it have happened. Once again, of course. I just don't think it did. Simple as that.

In fact, I think any further discussion about this topic should be moved out of this forum. Not only have we gotten off the topic of the thread but this most certainly has nothing to do with the song 10000 days.

justify_denials
07-07-2006, 05:33 PM
no, argument searching here. Just came to give my "opinion" as this forum is what for. I think you want me to make attacks and I am not going to. As it was I was'nt talking to you so much as I was just giving my opinion in on the matter of the whole. Although I know I qouted your comments, to me that does not matter and therefore, fuck you. Can't we be on one side? Thank you.

p.s. If I would have known you were going to respond with all that bullshit that I already knew from reading your first posts then I would'nt be responding to your previous bullshit posts.

PEACE, and good day.

TEST
10-04-2006, 09:06 AM
NEUROSIS!!!
Nice...
That's one hell of a band...they're covers kinda suck.
but the music...OUCH!