PDA

View Full Version : This song is a masterpiece

paraology
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I liked this song upon first listen but its taken me about 50 + listens to finally realize just how fuckin amazing it really is. Its brilliance shines with each and every listen. The combination of complex time signatures blend together so beautifully. The time signatures during the second chorus in particular are so mindblowing. It sounds like all 3 instruments are playing in different time. I also think this is one of Maynards best vocal performances ever with its blend of melodic and aggressiveness. I truly believe this song is a masterpiece and belongs in the same list with Tools best. Anyone else agree?

Spoon
06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
I find it boring at times because all adam is doing is palm muted open d strings....cool tune though, but kinda bland on the guitar side.

paraology
06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
I find it boring at times because all adam is doing is palm muted open d strings....cool tune though, but kinda bland on the guitar side.
Well Adam definitely was the weakest performer in this song but it fits well with the song dont you agree? I think anyone who is a Tool fan has grown accustomed to Adams infatuation with the open D cord. I believe its used in nearly every Tool song.

Visceral9
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
The Grudge had a lot of chugging as well and look how that turned out.

The thing with Jambi is is that Adam plays a variety of rhythms and uses many different pick-stroking variations on the low D (the "Wish it all away chorus being particularly noteworthy), which helps keep things interesting. He's basically taking on the role of the bass early in the song, as Justin takes the lead with that fantastic delay riff.

Amazing song all around though. I'm also in the camp where it was good on the first few listens and now weeks later it's revealed itself to be one of their best songs and ridiculously replayable. Maynard's vocals are just gorgeous to start, then they recall the Undertow days as it heads into the "Compromise the fulcrum" section and finally back to being gorgeous for the climax. And Danny showcases some of the most amazing tom work he's ever done and some truly deft hi-hat stuff in the verses.

GreenBudsGreenTea
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Love it....It has "unfolded" to be my favorite track on the album.

mr. nikki jensen
06-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Love it....It has "unfolded" to be my favorite track on the album.

one of my favorite tracks too. simply Amazing

J Stebbins
06-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Totally agree, by far the best song on the album. If only the rest of the songs were as excellent as this one.

tspope99
06-18-2006, 05:37 PM
I didn't like Jambi much the first few listens but after about 25+ plays it grew on me to become one of my favorite Tool songs of all time. It's a masterpiece.

Steventh
06-18-2006, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it's definitely one of their better songs on the album. I'd say it's my third favorite, behind 10,000 Days and Vicarious.

okerguy101
06-18-2006, 06:01 PM
The whole album is a masterpiece particulary Jambi, Vicarious and The Pot for kick ass tool songs. Danncy Careys drumming on whole album was well chosen and it is true that the album has a more blues feel. Jambi is so amazing for all band members parts and they do it pretty good live. I feel its all about how many times you listened to it knowing the lyrics listening to all the different parts and breaking yourself in. This album is tools best way to go from laterlus, but the next one has to have some epics.

Weapon
06-18-2006, 06:06 PM
a highlight of the album, for sure

youareveryhit
06-18-2006, 06:07 PM
because wings 1 & 2, and lost keys/rosetta stoned aren't epics.

:|

mirvae
06-18-2006, 06:08 PM
jambi was my favorite song the first time i heard the cd, and it's still probably my favorite, though rosetta stoned and 10,000 days aren't far behind.

eulogist
06-18-2006, 06:25 PM
yeah that part is kind of boring for guitar, but i think later in the song he really shines i.e. the jam part and epecially at the end during the "silently just save your poison" nothing too hard but it fits so well and adam has a great understanding of rythyms and time signatures

pblech
06-28-2006, 04:58 PM
The thing I love about Tool is everyone knows their role in the band. Each insturment (including vocals)is one part of the song and blends together perfectly. I think Adam's guitar part is a perfect compliment to the feel of the song and copuld not have been better. When you have the musicians trying to write technical parts for the hell of it you get 80's metal bands.

macfreak
07-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Jambi...one of Tool´s best songs...just amazing

bored&numb
07-04-2006, 08:05 PM
i can't stress enough how necessary headphones are to get the full experience of this song in particular. the talkbox just blew my brain onto the wall yet again. 5:00 to 5:15 is just sick.

walkerw8
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
because wings 1 & 2, and lost keys/rosetta stoned aren't epics.

I don't think anyone has said that they're not. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions, remember. ;)

DON IOTAE
07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I liked this song upon first listen but its taken me about 50 + listens to finally realize just how fuckin amazing it really is. Its brilliance shines with each and every listen. The combination of complex time signatures blend together so beautifully. The time signatures during the second chorus in particular are so mindblowing. It sounds like all 3 instruments are playing in different time. I also think this is one of Maynards best vocal performances ever with its blend of melodic and aggressiveness. I truly believe this song is a masterpiece and belongs in the same list with Tools best. Anyone else agree?
I agree. 100%.

smeefsmeef
07-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I just need to know what the title means and what it's about. I didn't like the song too much at first listen (hearing the expected Meshugga influence) and it's still growing on me ... either as a third eye or as a deformed butt ... I don't know yet. I guess I'll listen to it 50+ more times and hope it blows me away. I love Tool and everything they do, even if it takes me 5 years of forced listening to get it. It's unexplainable.

imatoolhed
07-08-2006, 08:42 PM

i agree with this whole statement... jambi>10kd

champion
07-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Yes. You know what? I've never said this before, but... it's the best song on 10,000 Days.

P.S. In the choruses, all three instruments ARE playing in different timing. They just meet up at the end to make it sound like it's one wave of time, which is something they most likely brought into their music after listening to a Meshuggah record.

DON IOTAE
07-10-2006, 08:11 AM
^ or after listening to themselves... ;)

fnshmetal
07-10-2006, 08:42 AM
People need to stop measuring Adam on his technical talent and start listening to the emotion behind his playing. You don’t have to be like John Petrucci to be considered a good guitarist. In fact I consider Adam a better guitarist than John Petrucci. Playing an instrument is just another medium to express emotion and Adam is the king of it.

DON IOTAE
07-10-2006, 08:43 AM
^ kudos.

alexreflection
07-10-2006, 09:58 AM
My favorite song in 10,000 Days for the moment. My first favorite one was Wings 1 & 2.

Maybe someday it'll change....who knows..

alexreflection
07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
People need to stop measuring Adam on his technical talent and start listening to the emotion behind his playing. You don’t have to be like John Petrucci to be considered a good guitarist. In fact I consider Adam a better guitarist than John Petrucci. Playing an instrument is just another medium to express emotion and Adam is the king of it.

I completely agree....it's not about the technical skills. For example, I think that Jimi Hendrix's playing was waaaaaaaay better than Steve Vai's or Petrucci's even though he didn't play 554678 notes per minute. It's all about the feeling.

macfreak
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Masterpiece

Kundalini108
07-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Anyone who says any tool song isnt a masterpiece hasnt listened to it enough...

Mozeley
07-17-2006, 03:44 AM
Totally 100 percent agree.

lizbiz
07-17-2006, 07:26 AM
This was the first song I appreciated on the album. Anyone who's heard it live will appreciate it 1,000 times more. This tune blew the doors off of the venue.

At 3:55 when Justin does his bass slide and there's a slight pause, I just looked around at the crowd and everyone had their hands up in the air just smashing their heads. Definitely the hightlight of the show.

wearethestories
07-17-2006, 07:44 AM
well... I think we all agree, and have successfully exhausted this thread.

peace.

DON IOTAE
07-17-2006, 07:46 AM
^ bring on the tidal waves, mods!

weesper
07-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Fuckin right on, the bass slide is gorgeous, its so 'organic'. They've probably been carving at this song for ages and ages and that makes it all the more interesting that all Adam is doing is just playing that palm mute while there's so much more going on and things like that bass slide really keep this song fresh as if they've just recorded it then and there; it's an epic song cuz it showcases what Tool is best at, making something incredibly complex sound awesome.

weesper
07-17-2006, 07:49 AM
^ bring on the tidal waves, mods!

Just when I thought my opinion actually mattered...

Caduceus11
07-17-2006, 09:50 AM
again, with these different time signatures, I think there is an entirely different level to this cd that few, if any have gotten to. There's a more evident theme on this disk than any other. The stereoscope....that's our clue...some of this disk needs our manipulations...we have to do some of it on our own....there's some blending that the listener must concentrate on hard enough to bring it into 3d...

DON IOTAE
07-17-2006, 10:55 AM
wait up, mods, wait up.

AMF
07-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Best song on the album IMO.

DON IOTAE
07-17-2006, 11:23 AM
stands out... but i dont know if it really is the best. thats the thing with these mofos; there really isnt a best one! theyre all fucking amazing

tyxlc
07-17-2006, 12:31 PM

a bit of a blanket statement (think allowing h. rollins to fuck up a good song with his insinscere dumbassedness), but i know what you mean exactly.

Caduceus11
07-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Yea, I agree. I cannot ever answer the question "What's your favorite TOOL song>?" I always answer "All of them." About this song tho, this is one I kind of overlooked for a while. I actually skipped it. But once I've gotten a handle on 10,000 days, Vicarious, and Rosetta Stoned, now I listen to Jambi and the Pot alot....

elmafiachi
07-18-2006, 12:36 PM
i have liked jambi since the album came out, but it absolutely blow me away when i heard it live. i love this song. the start is like laying under the train. absolutely amazing. there is no weak second during this song and i love the blues mood of this song. i can feel it on the whole new album. its great. they play in different timing almost for the whole jambi song and then they just join each other and my favourite part begans :-) its so powerful and maynards dancing was great during this part. and when solo starts its like from other galaxy. i love this song. and adam showed us that sometimes he needs only oped D string to make song perfect. its not about how technical stuff you play but about emotions.

DON IOTAE
07-18-2006, 06:48 PM
^ I love how you people are so blazee (or however you spell it...) about seeing Tool live.

*sobs*

Caduceus11
07-18-2006, 06:58 PM
^ I love how you people are so blazee (or however you spell it...) about seeing Tool live.

*sobs*

seeing TOOL or seeing LIVE>?.....

BlanketEffect
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I'd probably be blown away by this song if it weren't for the piss-poor solo. The beginning of the solo is cool, the end of the solo is cool... the middle part, where Adam isn't just making sounds, the part where he's like... trying to play lead? Blech.. sounds like a third month guitar student's lead-work.

Aside from that I think it's a fucking amazing track. The tin can guitar solo just ruins the build-up for me.

DON IOTAE
07-19-2006, 06:53 AM
seeing Tool in a concert, live...

I'd fuckin' love to see LIVE live as well... ;)

Skeezer
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm with the emotional crew on this one the way Adam's solo just reaches in a grabs my soul is an experience that makes me appreciate the artistry of Tool. I don't know thing one about how to play a guitar but I think the instrumental play on this song outshines the lyrics for me in terms of emotional impact. I guess this is one of those times where my ignorance of how to play music is bliss.

DON IOTAE
07-19-2006, 12:13 PM
^ very well put, indeed.

Caduceus11
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I'd probably be blown away by this song if it weren't for the piss-poor solo. The beginning of the solo is cool, the end of the solo is cool... the middle part, where Adam isn't just making sounds, the part where he's like... trying to play lead? Blech.. sounds like a third month guitar student's lead-work.

Aside from that I think it's a fucking amazing track. The tin can guitar solo just ruins the build-up for me.

haven't you learned that its not the complexity of things that makes them great....its the sum of the pieces, in essence, simplification....
I don't care how difficult, or what level guitar player can cover it....it sounds great to me.

BlanketEffect
07-20-2006, 12:09 PM
my-keyboard-is-messed-up-so-I-have-no-space-key

simple-is--great-but-its-not-simplicity-that-Im-critiquing---I-just-really-think-the-notes-he-chose-to-play-were-just-really-poorly-written--the-solo-doesnt-have-a-very-good-flow-to-it-and-the-only-thing-it-has-that-is-good-is-the-talk-box----cool-effects-arent-all-that-are-required-for-a-good-solo.but-the-notes-he-plays-are-blah

I-just-dont-feel-that-the-solo-flows-well-with-the-song----like-Adam-didnt-listen-to-te-rest-of-the-song-when-he-wrote-the-solo.---it-just-doesnt-belong-there

BlanketEffect
07-20-2006, 12:11 PM
BTW-I-love-Adams-music-so-Im-obviously-not-obsessed-with-complex-scales-and-such---its-just-a-crappy-solo...

Nico
07-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I doubt that if the talk box was not used, they would have used the same notes. I love the solo, full of emotion, which usually signifies good music, at least IMHO.

Couldn't imagine the song without it, nor would I change it. This one is making a strong case for my tool top 5

toriroxme
07-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Jambi...one of Tool´s best songs...just amazing

agreed, it's incredible. One of the most beautiful 'love' songs I have ever heard.

Caduceus11
07-21-2006, 06:28 PM
its all about love....

Ertai
07-21-2006, 07:18 PM
first time i heard jambi... day the album leaked... i downloaded it, skipped over vicarious

and jambi made me shed a tear...before the talkbox part

and the talkbox put a big smile on my face..

an experience ill never forget... chilling with my best friends and just taking all the new material in..

mosquitokillah
07-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Definitely their best track ever. So complex, so emotional, so perfect!

Caduceus11
07-22-2006, 09:00 AM
yea, it took me several weeks of listening before I could stop getting emotional about this song, and 10,000 days. I would almost break into tears!
I buried my grandfather whom I lived with for many years prior to his death not so long ago...i think 2 years is approaching. So all these thoughts have run across my mind relatively recently....

But best track>? That's a bold statement.....I can never decide...

Psychedelic_warrior
07-22-2006, 10:21 AM

ShadowSide
07-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Jambi became my favorite last week. Seriously..took awhile to realize what it meant to me. Everything has a time and place..and it FOUND it's time with me.
"IF I could I'd wish it all away..if I thought tomorrow would take you away.."
sigh..kills me.

trickma
07-24-2006, 01:57 AM
I didn't like Jambi much the first few listens but after about 25+ plays it grew on me to become one of my favorite Tool songs of all time. It's a masterpiece.

Said it all.

BlanketEffect
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah... now after a fresh listen... I still think the solo could have been better, but the song is fucking awesome. Goddamn it. They always do that.

ozzy12
07-25-2006, 10:50 PM
I like how there is a groove to it. The basswork on this album is definatly justin's best to date.

Cssalival
08-11-2006, 02:33 PM
the solo is very well placed, and though it is a little weak, it still moves me.
what i love about this song is the "Damn my eyes" part. Maynard does a great job and it is one of his greatest vocal jobs ever in my opinion.
It took me a long time to get used to this song, too. I used to think it was boring, then one day, I took the time to really listen to it. Thank god i did.

Cid
08-11-2006, 02:47 PM

2 words for you...the pot

DON IOTAE
08-11-2006, 04:19 PM
2 words for you...the pot
yeah, thats the exception. One listen is enough.

Cid
08-11-2006, 05:42 PM

one listen was more than enough for me to not want to listen to it again.

DON IOTAE
08-11-2006, 05:48 PM

one listen was more than enough for me to not want to listen to it again.

*lol*

then you havent listened to it enough.

Cid
08-11-2006, 08:01 PM
*lol*

then you havent listened to it enough.

my friends have forced it on me more times than i want to admit. the song is horrible and i'd rather not hear it ever. when i listen to the album i skip that track every time now.

DON IOTAE
08-11-2006, 08:42 PM
im just yankin your crank...

toolebukk
08-13-2006, 01:50 AM

WHAT??? apart from the fact that he playes open D ALOT, this song is brilliantly composed.. you have to ignore the malody and focos on rythm and technique man.. most complex song, guitarwise, ever..
ever tried playing it??

BlanketEffect
08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't know that I'd call it the "most complex song, guitarwise, ever"

It has it's moments. The beauty is in the creativity. Adam is not a proficient technical player, doesn't claim to be...

anarcho-commie
08-16-2006, 01:05 AM
This song is fucking awesome. I just barely grown to love it. When the CD came out i was like "meh," but now I realize this is one of the best songs on 10,000 Days. What's really impressive on it is the bass. It's just killer.

DamnageD
08-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Agreed...lay off or apply for his job...Adam is a integral piece of TooL, approve of his methods/style or not. I personally am satisifed NOT to hear a guitar tearing constantally.

Even the wheel needs a hub to function properly. It may not be big, or move as fast, but without it you have no wheel.

DON IOTAE
08-17-2006, 05:23 AM
^ nice analogy