PDA

View Full Version : OIUJA board song

orangedarkblue
06-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Some of you guys feel like:

After listening to the album version a couple times, I must say this song feels really out of place after Rosetta Stoned, like to a point where after my first listen I couldnt even recall anything about it. I don't know what they could have done to change this, but it definately is the downfall of the album as a whole. I do however like it on its own.

But furtunately, most feel like this is a very pretty song, set exactly in its right place. I feel that way too. I think Intension can serve both as a sequel to Rosetta Stoned and a segue to Right in Two, as a kind of 2-way connnector. This fits with the movie feel of the album, i.e. Wings 4 marie 2 following 1 and the Lipan native American mourning following the deeds described in 'The Pot'etc.

You guys have already noted this is possible: 'a big stupid dumbass' says:

The entire track played backwards keeps its integrity. I think it sounds great in reverse. Particularly at the beginning/end ;)

The song starts with the sounds of chains, banging metal and someone sweeping glass, combined with whispering / sighing. The tune is described as atmospheric, trippy etc. There is a sort of etheric/ mineral quality to the vocals. 'xpandnz' and

'futant55' says:

I think this sounds like cleaning up Glass or cleaning up mass amounts of Rubbish from some type of huge destruction.
Maybe because Maynard forgot the message from ET that the world wasnt pre-pared for the destruction. And now the song Intension is the clean up, which leads then into Right In Two.

I don't thnk this has been mentioned but does anyone think the stone he is talking about in intension is the Rosetta Stone.

My first thought connected with the sweeping of the glass and the stones mentioned in Intension was -

Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around (The Pot)

The sweeping of glass sound to me like cleaning up a mess, yes. I suppose this mess could be the shattered images in the guy from Rosetta Stoned's mind, that he inflicted upon himself by overdoing drugs. Now - who is sweeping the glass? I myself, from the ghostlike whispering and sighing that accompany it, understand the song as spoken from the perspective of Spirits/Aliens/Demons/Angels (I see these words as synonymous). This would make sense in between Rosetta Stoned (a guy being stoned to death with revelation by aliens) and Right in Two (a message from the Angel perspective). Intension can then be understood as a replay of/ a comment on RS & and prequel to RIT as seen from within the spirit world (similar to the Lipan mourning folowing the Pot and preceding Lost Keys) . This is concordant with what 'futant 55' quotes:

Intension is often discussed with regard to extension. Intension refers to the set of all possible things a word could describe. By contrast, extension (or denotation) refers to the set of all actual things the word describes. For example, the intension of 'car' is all possible cars (including mile-high cars made of chocolate). But the extension of 'car' is all actual cars (past, present and future), which will amount to millions or billions of cars, but probably doesn't include any mile-high cars made of chocolate. Intension seems to be about the beginning of our creation and giving the definition, I think its about how in the beginning there were infinite possibilities of what we could become. Then Right in Two is what we actually have become. Its the Extension to the Intension if you will.

The definition of Intension can similarly be applied to 'WE' and 'STONE' Highrowglifix says:

It sounds like there are multiple layers of voice. Perhaps this is something to do with the fact that the song follows immediately after Rosetta Stoned, and the Rosetta stone had three languages on it, Hieroglyphic, Demotic Egyptian and Greek. The roaring voice at the beginning of Rosetta Stoned contrasts strongly to this whispering, too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone
Just my two cents.

Cucumber_11 says:

You're so right. The first listen of this song I didn't get it, as soon as a I read the lyrics it clicked.
I feel it shows how we started off nice and innocent "Here we have a stone, gather place" and how we ruined it with "Here we have a stone, throw to stay the stranger". Absolutly beautifull. It also trips me out immensly which is a plus.

Following the definition of the word 'Intension'again, one can take 'we' to mean spirits (Pure as we begin/ Move by Will alone) the first stone to gather round immediately brings Stonehenge, Pyramids, Ziggurats etc. to mind. In relation with Spark becomes a flame/ Flame becomes a fire, 'Arizonabay' says:

In the vast majority of humanity, this Secret Fire, or liberating energy of self-consciousness, lies dormant, asleep at the base of the spine, coiled like a serpent. Only a small amount manages to escape, reaching a sepherothic level, or so-called chakra, thus creating a loci of consciousness for each person. If it reaches the top of the skull, and beyond, a spiritual awakening can occur, allowing for a descent and re-ascent of the energy, during which the psychic centers can be awakened allowing for the manifestation of psychic powers and related phenomena. Apparently this was one of the practices addmited by the Knights Templar under torture. This was the significance of the kiss on the ass that was part of their initiation.

This awakening of us meatpuppets is the hope and purpose of the spirit world too, I suppose. If so

Spark becomes a flame
Flame becomes a fire
Light the way or warm this
Hope we occupy

then signifies the dillema of the netherworld, Light the way for us monkeys or warm 'this Hope' they occupy, i.e. stay in their world and 'Forge the blade' (the a-rthytmic pronounciation could make blade mean 'the scythe,' death, demons taking their split etc. ) and keep throwing stones 'to stay the stranger' (refers to Rosetta Stoned.)

#Notion
06-11-2006, 01:55 PM
I think overanalyzing tool albums has near officially become a hobby. I'm not going to tell you what to do with your life (as an alternative to what you do now), but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for at the end of this little game.

JOK3R
06-11-2006, 02:11 PM
and a very fine hobby indeed

xPOGOx
06-12-2006, 12:53 AM
at the end of this little game.
It's fun though.

orangedarkblue
06-12-2006, 03:11 AM
I think overanalyzing tool albums has near officially become a hobby. I'm not going to tell you what to do with your life (as an alternative to what you do now), but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for at the end of this little game.

Well, it beats collecting stamps. I like playing little games. Just like you:

#Notion
Total Posts: 161 (1.24 posts per day)

Reply's to #Notion's posts:

"This is Undertow"

placidium, Level 10 - Vehement : "gee, who'd have noticed..."

Keep smiling and hobby on, dude!

Paradigm619
06-12-2006, 06:43 AM
damn, you just blew me away.

Rigby
06-13-2006, 12:23 PM
i think in the song- right in two- he means that the monkeys are actually really turtles
that get trapped in shallow rock pools and in affect have to fight to survive in the dry seasons of winter and the angels are the star fish clinging to the side rocks trying to whisper into there deaf ears, but unfortunately star fish dont have mouths and cant whisper, so thats impossible and turtles cant understand star fish language which is a mixture of Latin, texan and australian , but thats what makes tool so damn hardcore and trippy and like so clever and shit.

......................overanalyzation............. ........?

orangedarkblue
06-14-2006, 05:56 AM
i think in the song- right in two- he means that the monkeys are actually really turtles
that get trapped in shallow rock pools ....................overanalyzation............... ......?

That's good thinking there dood!

"Leave as we come in
Pure as light, return to one

Move by will alone"

Jeez, what could he mean?

#Notion
06-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Well, it beats collecting stamps. I like playing little games. Just like you:

#Notion
Total Posts: 161 (1.24 posts per day)

Reply's to #Notion's posts:

"This is Undertow"

placidium, Level 10 - Vehement : "gee, who'd have noticed..."

Keep smiling and hobby on, dude!

Well i looked and looked. Thought about it a little bit. And well, I don't see what the significance of a 17 year old's reply to a thread I made (which was a hit!) 2 days after the album came out has to do with, um well, anything.

But , ehem, GG

orangedarkblue
06-15-2006, 03:34 AM
Well i looked and looked. Thought about it a little bit. And well, I don't see what the significance of a 17 year old's reply to a thread I made (which was a hit!) 2 days after the album came out has to do with, um well, anything.

But , ehem, GG

AH, no sweat. I was just pointing out that everybody is hobbying here, including you and me. Any Real Truths are probably more easily found in a 5 minute walk outside than here. Still it's fun.

#Notion
06-15-2006, 12:19 PM
AH, no sweat. I was just pointing out that everybody is hobbying here, including you and me. Any Real Truths are probably more easily found in a 5 minute walk outside than here. Still it's fun.

Hey I agree

NextChapter
06-15-2006, 02:57 PM
That's good thinking there dood!

"Leave as we come in
Pure as light, return to one

Move by will alone"

Jeez, what could he mean?
awesome response, seriously!
btw this may be a dumb statement but i still dont understand why this thread is called ouija board song????? am i missing something?? i didn't see anything about a ouija board in your first post in this thread...

orangedarkblue
06-16-2006, 09:23 AM
awesome response, seriously!
btw this may be a dumb statement but i still dont understand why this thread is called ouija board song????? am i missing something?? i didn't see anything about a ouija board in your first post in this thread...

Well, you know, spirits usually speak through iou-ja boards etc.