PDA

View Full Version : Burning Eye......

Mister
04-16-2003, 06:27 PM
I think the "burning eye" deserves a thread and a discussion of its own for the simple reason that it has in the past been used on its own, independent of the lateralus man or whatever you want to call the chap. not only is the eye burning, but it also seems to be falling, slowly floating downwards. this would suggest the idea of the eye as being fleeting, something which is of the utmost significance. tool´s lyrics can be and are interpreted in many different ways, but i think what a lot of them have in common is that they refer to something fleeting - a look, a glance, a glimpse, a moment shared, an opportunity spurned.....such things are made all the more special partly because they are in fact fleeting. great artists possess rare powers of perception which enable them to detect and accurately depict such fleeting moments. this is true of a lot of religious artwork, which touches on specific moments which capture the essence of humanity and relate it perfectly. and yet it must always be a reflection, something after the fact.......something fleeting. i´ve said enough at this stage, in short what i consider to be important is the fact that the eye is falling and also burning, both of which serve to reinforce the fleeting aspects of life, art, humanity and most importantly of reflection itself.

Edman
04-24-2003, 11:11 PM
It's the third eye.

ry.
04-25-2003, 07:55 AM
i always saw the burning eye as a personifcation of spirtuality.

I also think it reates to Saint Bonaventure's three eyes of knowing.

1-Eye of flesh- is the eye in the hand/neck it sees material objects.

2-Eye of reason- the eye on the head,

3-Eye of comtemplation - the eye in the lower center, it is associated with the transcendental.