PDA

View Full Version : A Somewhat different take on Pushit

TooLooT
06-10-2006, 05:13 AM
This may be way off, but I have had some thoughts about this song due to recent events in my life. I was in a relationship where my girlfriend fell pregnant. We are both very young and there was no practical way that we could have a child without destroying our lives as well as the child's. After her abortion, this intense hatred filled our relationship. She would constantly attack me, physically, mentally and spiritually. I was trapped in this relationship of guilt for forcing her to get an abortion, even though "there would be no other way".

Pushit sounds like self judgement about a man forcing a woman to get an abortion, mixed with the abuse he has to tolerate on a daily basis. The self judgement is how he can "judge or strike down" something that is his "reflection". He doubts his actions and the validity of his thinking. He follows with the opposite path of attacking the woman, who knew the right decision, but needed a scapegoat to absolve herself of guilt ("rest your trigger on my finger").

It is this intense guilt and pressure that she puts on the man that drives him into this spiral of confusion and anger. He is trapped in a world where he has no control, and is constantly "slipping back into the gap again". He is trying to tell her that he is hurting as well as she, and he needs her ("i'm alive when you're touching me") and that she cannot continue to "shove (him) down".

After the wild and angry solos in the song, it mellows a bit, becoming sombre. I think this is an expression of depression continuing from this helpless feeling engulfing him. Simply put, he is "somewhere (he doesn't) wanna be", pushed there by her. He "never wants to see that place again", that place being this world of guilt and hatred that he cannot escape.

After this moment in the song, it builds up again, becoming more powerful. The man is finally rising above this prison he is in, and rising up against her. This ultimately means leaving her. She "begs him to stay", because the only thing holding her together is this transference of guilt onto him. But he "manages to push (himself) away, and (her)". He has finally worked up the courage to forget about what he has done to her (or what she has convinced him he has done to her) and finally stand up against what she is DOING to him. He has tried to tell her that he will "fade like a sigh if (he) stays" that she simply "minimizes (his) movement anyway". He has been dragged back into it, once again.

Now here is the part that I really relate to. I loved my girlfriend and dedicated my life to taking her abuse and trying to get her better. And it got to a point where I could not think of another way out of this life unless I "tore her fucking throat away". I was certain, more certain than I have been on anything else in my life, that "it would end no other way". It was the ultimate moment of desparation where he was "terrified of what may come" and the only thing that made him wake up the next day was the thought of survival. And if it ended no other way, it would end no other way.

P.S. If there are any cops reading this, dont worry, I didnt kill my girlfriend (however she is dead to me).

I don't believe that Maynard or the gang wrote this song as a consequence of the aftermath of an abortion. I think this song more appropriately related to intense and inexplicable pain that comes from being imprisoned in a cell with bars made of guilt. This is just my two cents and I would be interested to see what people think. Thanks for reading!

Lysander
06-11-2006, 01:49 PM
This is right on. I always thoguht it was about sex rather than abortion, ("slip into the gap again", "rest your trigger on my finger, bang my head upon the faultline, take care not to make me enter 'cause if I do we both may disappear.") but the feelings of frustration and rage on how you just don't know what to do sometimes and you dont' feel like there's anything for it but to just rip her fucking throat away, I think that's very much what the song is about.

TooLooT
06-12-2006, 08:09 AM
I definately think this song relates more to the frustration, helplessness and desparation of being imprisoned by one's own emotions, specifically emotions brought on by someone else with an undertone of manipulation.

I agree that there is definately a sexual element to it, and again I doubt this song was specifically about abortion. I think the focal point of this song is the emotional prison that can end "no other way" other than the death of the antagonist.

futant55
06-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I agree it's about frustration. I think its about the time right after Devo was born. Maynard and Brena's(I cant recall her first name right now) relationship was falling apart and Devo just made things that much more complicated. Hence the line choke this infant here before me, and what is this but my reflection.

henri_ds
01-31-2007, 11:58 AM
very interesting view of this song. It amazes me how Tool's songs can be personally interpreted, in a very deep manner.

as far as i'm concerned I always thought pushit (normal and slow version) was about forced anal sex between two persons who are intimately related (father/son or daughter, stepfather/son etc..). "'cause if I do we both may disappear" >> if he actually commits the rape, they both will see their social lives destroyed. Parts of the lyrics are from the rapist's pov and other parts from the victim's pov. but I may be totally wrong.

parables in the world
01-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Nice interpretation. i see this song as something sexual, but it seems to be more of the aftermath of cheating. Or a one night stand.