PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union...

wearethestories
06-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Does anyone else think this song might be partly a statement about the current state of the United States within the theological/religious metaphor?

God=W.
Angels=people of good intentions
Monkeys=ALL of us (in one way or another seek to destroy our brothers)

I know it falls short of many of the lyrics, but I just thought it might be worth discussing.

Feel free to flame, I am retardant.

blair's man sausage
06-09-2006, 07:39 PM
i'm not feeling it imgpo

Malisk
06-09-2006, 08:42 PM
The song doesnt seem that specific. For example, the line "Why did Father give these humans free will?." To say that Bush gave "these humans free will" doesnt make much sense.

wearethestories
06-10-2006, 12:36 PM
The song doesnt seem that specific. For example, the line "Why did Father give these humans free will?." To say that Bush gave "these humans free will" doesnt make much sense.
yeah... realized that during the posting process...
still --- don't think the song is ABOUT this specifically, just an interesting side-plot perhaps?

littlejason
06-10-2006, 02:03 PM
mmmm, not feeling it. Human nature and the evolution of society as a whole since the beginning of time? That i'll give you.

2and46
06-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Does anyone else think this song might be partly a statement about the current state of the United States within the theological/religious metaphor?

God=W.

I know it falls short of many of the lyrics, but I just thought it might be worth discussing.

Feel free to flame, I am retardant.

It may not be explicit in the lyrics, but MJK and Danny have made it quite clear their disdain for Dubya. So yeah, I think its fair to say the song has a little to do with the fucked up state of the US. It's not a stretch.

astraka
06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=wearethestories]Does anyone else think this song might be partly a statement about the current state of the United States within the theological/religious metaphor?

Maybe you americans are too egocentric to undersantd this could mean somenthing else.

Lotus 2
06-10-2006, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=wearethestories]Does anyone else think this song might be partly a statement about the current state of the United States within the theological/religious metaphor?

Maybe you americans are too egocentric to undersantd this could mean somenthing else.
hey lets not call people bad names....... like americans

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=astraka]
hey lets not call people bad names....... like americans
<rimshot>

Luosdasa
06-10-2006, 06:16 PM
heh, im pretty sure a most tool songs could have something to do with bush and the american government. because most tool songs point out, somewhere along the way, something thats wrong in the world, or is fully about something as such...

And im pretty sure the american government contains just about every fault in existance... hence all these songs can be aplied to bush etc. Dont beleive me? think on it, with just about every song there 1+ threads asking whether the song is about americas government...

(p.s. ha, i hope i dont offend any of you yanks, lol, it nothing personal. Id say the same thing about our gov. but our country is so small no one gives a fuck. lol, coincidently, one of the biggest problem with our gov. happens to be yours. :P)

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 06:47 PM
coincidently, one of the biggest problem with our gov. happens to be yours. :P)
Sorry 'bout that . . .

Typical
06-11-2006, 12:14 PM
mmmm, not feeling it. Human nature and the evolution of society as a whole since the beginning of time? That i'll give you.

that's how i see it too. this song to me is about the entire human race as a whole. if you want a song about the shittyness of american culture i think vicarious is much closer to those lines.

swampyfool
06-11-2006, 12:32 PM
that's how i see it too. this song to me is about the entire human race as a whole. if you want a song about the shittyness of american culture i think vicarious is much closer to those lines.
That and "The Pot."

bitter_enigma
06-12-2006, 12:30 AM

God=W.

Nope.

Try a statement about the WHOLE world.
Geez, you americans...!

wearethestories
06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Nope.

Try a statement about the WHOLE world.
Geez, you americans...!
Dude... and everyone from anyplace that is NOT America...

LAY OFF... it's not that we're ego-centric, it's that TOOL is AMERICAN (and yes, I'll count Justin Chancellor in with the American lot as he emigrated here from GB years ago to be a PART of TOOL).

So maybe (JUST MAYBE) what we're contemplating has some validity...

If you don't think so, TRY LISTENING TO "THE POT"

(and remember that Maynard put out APC's "peace" album that was a bunch of songs sung about AMERICA)

but, on the slightly egotistical side --- everyone in the WORLD cares about our politics and our government because (and I DO NOT LIKE IT) we sort of have a power-hold on the world.

bitter_enigma
06-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think eMOTIVE was JUST about the U.S.
I don't think the pot is JUST about Bush.
...and I don't think right in two is JUST about the U.S. either.

So sorry for not kissing America's arse.

I think the angels in this song are literally angels, the Father is literally God and the monkeys are literally us (or U.S.) tearing the world apart.

swampyfool
06-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Well, since these songs are written in contempt of their respective subjects, I think you are kissing their ass by deflecting this blame.

But seriously, I'm just fucking around. I get your point.

JOK3R
06-13-2006, 03:16 AM
stupid monkeys

wearethestories
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM

I think the angels in this song are literally angels, the Father is literally God and the monkeys are literally us (or U.S.) tearing the world apart.
it's not like most of us (U.S. if you prefer) like what we're doing to the rest of the world, and it's not like we ACTUALLY THINK that Tool is writing ABOUT AMERICA ONLY, but only in general.

Even THE POT isn't ABOUT America, it simply uses American concepts like:
kangaroo (court)
hung jury
---- since we kind of came up with the checks and balances thing (which is sort of defunct right now) it's slightly difficult to argue that America isn't involved in this song (and no, I don't think eMotive was COMPLETELY about America, more about war in general --- IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT IT COINCIDED WITH ELECTION DAY in the US and had a track [last one] that CONVENIENTLY says "America, my friend")

crazy aussies (now watch, I'll get flamed for "defending" America and "criticizing" Australia although I did neither of the two!)

Luosdasa
06-23-2006, 05:08 PM
crazy aussies (now watch, I'll get flamed for "defending" America and "criticizing" Australia although I did neither of the two!)

Sorry, i just laughed so hard when i read that. I mean, just about every Austrlian i speak to (which funnily, is quite a few) spend most of their time baggin out australia. :p i mean, most of us over here (ok, fair enough, i spose i cant speak for "most" of us, but i can speak for a rather large cross section...) have realised that that thing you lot call patriotism is a load of crap, brandished about to gain unquestioning support from the masses.

As to that whole argument thingy ^^^^, methinks that while these songs are not aimed soly at america, they focus mainly on america, cuz america tends to epitomize all the shit these kind of songs are about. I mean, even in australia, political songs criticizing our government will referance america. This is mainly because you country is phyisically bigger, and has more people, and hence, when you guys do the same shit we do, it tends to make a bigger impact... (impact tends to be that our ass licking prime minister'll follow suit)