PDA

View Full Version : Why is it a selfish question?

ladycommish
06-08-2006, 06:06 PM
"What am I to say to all these ghouls tonight?"

Please explain...I don't understand why it's a selfish question.

troublefunk
06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
because he's asking her for help as she's dying. kind of selfish to ask anything of anyone at that time. that's what i got anyway

Choice Breath
06-08-2006, 07:16 PM
because he's asking her for help as she's dying. kind of selfish to ask anything of anyone at that time. that's what i got anyway

I agree. Although, I'm not sure it is selfish, necessarily, to ask something of someone at that time. My impression of the song is that it is post-mortem. And that particularly line brought to mind the image of a visitation at her church, which would usually take place in the evening.

So, I thought he said "selfish question" because he's asking it on the occasion of everyone mourning her death/celebrating her life and, therefore, the night is about her. He may also say "selfish" because he's worried about himself and how to deal with all of the people from her congregation to whom he's referring as "ghouls", rather than being focused on the purpose of the gathering. Now that I write it out, it seems rather considerate to ask her, rather than just dealing with it his own way.

Dolophane
06-08-2006, 11:44 PM
I always just thought that he's thinking of himself (how the 'ghouls' are bothering him) when he shouldn't be.

deuceman
06-14-2006, 03:22 PM

That's my interpretation as well.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I imagine that its a Eulogy at the funeral. The ghouls being the congregation. Maybe he thinks it's selfish that he doesnt know what to say when this woman has done so much good for him.

blood_wh0re
06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
SELFISH - Believing or teaching that the chief motives of human action are derived from love of self.

Man is not naturally good, Hobbes claimed, but naturally a selfish hedonist ..."of the voluntary acts of every man, the object is some good to himself".

blood_wh0re
06-14-2006, 03:41 PM
When a person dies you lose them. In your selfish grief you think only of your loss. You do not consider that the person who died lost EVERYONE.

STA
06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
When a person dies you lose them. In your selfish grief you think only of your loss. You do not consider that the person who died lost EVERYONE.

Presumably, though, the hope is that she's gone to Heaven where she belongs (and deserves to be).

ThreeDeviations
06-14-2006, 07:30 PM
I imagine that its a Eulogy at the funeral. The ghouls being the congregation. Maybe he thinks it's selfish that he doesnt know what to say when this woman has done so much good for him.

Gee, didnt take that idea from my thread did ya?

really?

Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 07:47 PM
No I never read your thread. Great minds ehy?

Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
wow I totally ripped you off tho, sorry.

ThreeDeviations
06-14-2006, 08:37 PM
nah, it's cool.

Guess ya can't read every thread before making a post.. just didnt know if ya did it intentionally.

implandnoises
06-14-2006, 09:30 PM
God damn! ThreeDeviations, your avatar is deviating my thoughts from pure to deviant ones.

Anyway, yeah, I think it is clear that he is talking about having to say something in front of all these people he has no time for. He feels uncomfortable being forced into a position to be polite and not mention his real viewpoint on things. So he asks his deceased Mother "what am I to say?" Of course he feels it is selfish, he is there to honour her, not trouble her with his own inadequacies.

With that in mind, I just had a thought that it feels as though Wings Part 1 shows him in a polite, euphamistic position, unable to really speak his mind. Whereas Part 2 shows him expressing his real view point, loud and proud.

You could imagen that the first part is at the funeral service, the second part afterwards.

bellamadia
06-15-2006, 05:42 AM
"What am I to say to all these ghouls tonight?"

Please explain...I don't understand why it's a selfish question.

I think he means that today (your funeral) is supposed to be all about you. I am supposed to be praying for you, etc., yet I can't help but ask you for help already, because I don't what to say to all of these sinners in the congregtion that couldn't possibly phathom how wonderful you were.

ThreeDeviations
06-15-2006, 07:03 AM
I think he means that today (your funeral) is supposed to be all about you. I am supposed to be praying for you, etc., yet I can't help but ask you for help already, because I don't what to say to all of these sinners in the congregAtion that couldn't possibly phathom how wonderful you were.

Bellgirl, now you're starting to understand...

instead of praying for you "etc" it's okay, you can say ... "eulogy."

The "selfish question" is specifically asking what he's to say during her eulogy- to all "the sinners (ghouls) in the congregation that couldn't possibly phathom how wonderful you were." (worded well)

just had to be a little more specific.. hope this helps

bellamadia
06-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Bellgirl, now you're starting to understand...

instead of praying for you "etc" it's okay, you can say ... "eulogy."

The "selfish question" is specifically asking what he's to say during her eulogy- to all "the sinners (ghouls) in the congregation that couldn't possibly phathom how wonderful you were." (worded well)

just had to be a little more specific.. hope this helps

Don't patronize me ThreeDev. I stay out of your business, now please give me the same respect.

And I didn't mean eulogy, I mean praying for you. But nice attempt.

ThreeDeviations
06-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Don't patronize me ThreeDev. I stay out of your business, now please give me the same respect.

And I didn't mean eulogy, I mean praying for you. But nice attempt.

You didn't show me "the same respect" on my other thread for 3 days. You didn't stay out of my business.

"But nice attempt." Yeah, you're above patronizing and hypocrisy.

You're the one who sparked this again bellygirl. You saw I was on the thread.. and how I was saying that I already explained the answer in a previous thread. But you felt compelled to re-post my idea and use words like "pray" and "etc."

Why write it again when DJR had already posted it on this thread?

My email is on my profile. I'll likely delete anything sent by you, but don't clog the thread with your vindictive vendetta against me. Show the thread all that respect you hold. Thanks

bellamadia
06-15-2006, 09:59 AM
You didn't show me "the same respect" on my other thread for 3 days. You didn't stay out of my business.

"But nice attempt." Yeah, you're above patronizing and hypocrisy.

You're the one who sparked this again bellygirl. You saw I was on the thread.. and how I was saying that I already explained the answer in a previous thread. But you felt compelled to re-post my idea and use words like "pray" and "etc."

Why write it again when DJR had already posted it on this thread?

My email is on my profile. I'll likely delete anything sent by you, but don't clog the thread with your vindictive vendetta against me. Show the thread all that respect you hold. Thanks

Contrary to what your enormous ego tells you, I do not go around reading all of your posts. Therefore, perhaps I did say something similar to what you said. God forbid you have a similar thought to someone else. Does that shatter your whole universe? The thought that not everything you say is profound or original?

No, I will not send you an email. No, I will not respond to you on this thread or any other thread from this moment on. This is on the condition that you manage to learn how to write to me without being condescending and coming off like a insane megalomaniac.

I tried to end the battling on your thread, but you continued it here. If you had something to say about my post and didn't want to continue our battle you would've been more careful in choosing your words.

ThreeDeviations
06-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Contrary to what your enormous ego tells you, I do not go around reading all of your posts. Therefore, perhaps I did say something similar to what you said. God forbid you have a similar thought to someone else. Does that shatter your whole universe? The thought that not everything you say is profound or original?

No, I will not send you an email. No, I will not respond to you on this thread or any other thread from this moment on. This is on the condition that you manage to learn how to write to me without being condescending and coming off like a insane megalomaniac.

I tried to end the battling on your thread, but you continued it here. If you had something to say about my post and didn't want to continue our battle you would've been more careful in choosing your words.

Probably not ALL of them.. just some of them.

Someone has a similar thought as me so it's shattering my world... haha. Not really. It's just a strange coincidence how now people are making posts saying that Wings 1 is exactly what I wrote in my thread a few days ago. Before that, I never saw an explanation like that. But yeah, it must just "coincidence!" Everyone knew this all along! I mean, I'll admit it's possible someone had this thought before reading my post... it's not like it's very difficult to decipher. But still, hard to chalk up to just coincidence.

Ego? Yeah, I guess I do have an ego with my tool.

Tried to end the battling? See, like I said, I felt like you tried to stir the pot again by posting exactly what me, then DJR said already. But again, must've been just coincidence or a mistake or something..

I've come across a couple of your posts. You have some good things to say. I think you're pretty intelligent and probably a nice person. So although it's highly unlikely I'll eliminate the enormous ego for you, I will quit with the condescending remarks because they've been a bit harsh and unnecessarily personal. So I am sorry about that.

bellamadia
06-16-2006, 05:07 AM
Probably not ALL of them.. just some of them.

Someone has a similar thought as me so it's shattering my world... haha. Not really. It's just a strange coincidence how now people are making posts saying that Wings 1 is exactly what I wrote in my thread a few days ago. Before that, I never saw an explanation like that. But yeah, it must just "coincidence!" Everyone knew this all along! I mean, I'll admit it's possible someone had this thought before reading my post... it's not like it's very difficult to decipher. But still, hard to chalk up to just coincidence.

Ego? Yeah, I guess I do have an ego with my tool.

Tried to end the battling? See, like I said, I felt like you tried to stir the pot again by posting exactly what me, then DJR said already. But again, must've been just coincidence or a mistake or something..

I've come across a couple of your posts. You have some good things to say. I think you're pretty intelligent and probably a nice person. So although it's highly unlikely I'll eliminate the enormous ego for you, I will quit with the condescending remarks because they've been a bit harsh and unnecessarily personal. So I am sorry about that.

Well, I wasn't expecting that so thank you! I'm very glad to see that you have another side to you, one I happen to understand and would get a long with better. I also apologize for the anger and inappropriate comments. I'm stubborn as well, and have always been the type to stand up for myself. Sometimes in doing so I get very riled up.

I actually happen to have a lot of the same opinions/thoughts as you do on a lot of things. There have been times when I've wanted to say to you that I agree. The only thing that was stopping me was that I didn't want to fuel the ego, or start something more. I have, and always will have, a hard time with that kind of personality.

Enough said. I'm glad we can now feel free to post on eachother's threads or in response to eachothers posts without all of the drama.

Terry21
06-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking "please forgive this selfish question" just symbolizes how much respect he's got for her.

ArizonaBay
06-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah its simply that he should not be thinking of himself but her at this time.

ladycommish
06-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Funny, I just re-watched an old Star Trek TNG episode, where Tasha Yar died, and at the end of the "funeral" Data wonders what that was all about. He said that it was supposed to be for her, and he said HE's the one that felt empty, and it was a reflection about how *their* lives will change without her. He asked Picard if he missed the point, and Picard told him no, he got it.