PDA

View Full Version : Why the Australian accent?

DON IOTAE
06-08-2006, 05:27 PM
There's already a thread commenting whether it's Aussie or British. I'm sure it's aussie. My question is, why aussie? Are there more UFO sightings and shit in Australia? Why did our chosen one end up down under? What the hell was he doing down there, singing with kangaroo rappers?

help?

ladycommish
06-08-2006, 06:01 PM
it's the only way to make the backwards audio sound like something?

DON IOTAE
06-08-2006, 07:52 PM
it's the only way to make the backwards audio sound like something?
*lol*

"Can you hear that?: 'Satan is Lord, Satan is Lord'; check it out! It's almost like he's in the room or something!"

Bill Hicks

AsylumVT
06-09-2006, 03:16 AM
once someone can prove it and let me hear it i will believe it. BUT. Until then i dont believe that. I dont believe anyone in Tool would go around saying satan is lord.

haloocyn
06-09-2006, 04:44 AM
get it reversed and hear it... see what u can make of it...

DON IOTAE
06-10-2006, 12:20 PM
once someone can prove it and let me hear it i will believe it. BUT. Until then i dont believe that. I dont believe anyone in Tool would go around saying satan is lord.
BILL HICKS said it, not Tool, or anyone "in Tool"... And besides, it's part of a joke that you obviously haven't heard of...

HallsOfMandos
06-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I can't hear LK anymore and keep a straight face...I keep expecting the doc to say 'What a beaut!' or 'Crikey.' Damn Crocodile Hunter...

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 02:36 PM
There's already a thread commenting whether it's Aussie or British. I'm sure it's aussie. My question is, why aussie? Are there more UFO sightings and shit in Australia? Why did our chosen one end up down under? What the hell was he doing down there, singing with kangaroo rappers?

help?
I don't know, the nurse doesn't seem to have the accent- just the doctor- so maybe its just an Australian doctor working in an American hospital. Blair's post about this song (on toolband) and the question of the narrator made a whole lot of mention of Area 51, so it would follow that this is probably a hospital in Nevada.

DON IOTAE
06-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't know, the nurse doesn't seem to have the accent- just the doctor- so maybe its just an Australian doctor working in an American hospital. Blair's post about this song (on toolband) and the question of the narrator made a whole lot of mention of Area 51, so it would follow that this is probably a hospital in Nevada.
hmm...

JOK3R
06-11-2006, 01:58 PM
crikey

swampyfool
06-11-2006, 02:29 PM
And neow, Ih'm gonna put me thumb up 'is butt'ole! WAGH! This is reelly gonna maike 'im mad!

Artistic Sickness
06-11-2006, 07:40 PM
oh cartman..

Setve
06-11-2006, 08:14 PM
crocidile hunter on american idol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBpQlmS_7Tk&search=DCLugi

DON IOTAE
06-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Weird.

swampyfool
06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
The Bush part is way better than the Steve Erwin part.

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Because Australian accents are soothing and sound cool, mate.

DON IOTAE
06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Because Australian accents are soothing and sound cool, mate.
kinda like (-)ions?

It is amusing and relaxing to hear Aussie accent...

swampyfool
06-12-2006, 09:42 PM
I once sprained my ankle in Barcelona. There was an australian physical therapist named Bernie staying in my hostel, so he was giving me advice on how to treat it, and I suppose that his accent was soothing. I told him that in America we have commercials that say, "Foster's: Australian for beer!" He really found that to be quite a hoot.

There were also these Aussie girls there, and they came over to us while we were passing around the guitar and (in all seriousness) asked us if we knew any Brittney Spears. Their accents were not soothing; they actually kinda reminded me of harpies chewing on glass. Niether here nor there, I suppose.

06-13-2006, 03:42 AM
I once sprained my ankle in Barcelona. There was an australian physical therapist named Bernie staying in my hostel, so he was giving me advice on how to treat it, and I suppose that his accent was soothing. I told him that in America we have commercials that say, "Foster's: Australian for beer!" He really found that to be quite a hoot.

There were also these Aussie girls there, and they came over to us while we were passing around the guitar and (in all seriousness) asked us if we knew any Brittney Spears. Their accents were not soothing; they actually kinda reminded me of harpies chewing on glass. Niether here nor there, I suppose.
jus ach'n fur a geetar over ma head, ya'll. ' "hit me baby one more time" springs to mind.

DON IOTAE
06-13-2006, 06:04 AM

*lol*

The Fosters beer ad campaign is hilarious.

I sprained my ankle once, but my therapist was Costa Rican. Oh well, you can't hit it every time!

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 07:02 AM
jus ach'n fur a geetar over ma head, ya'll. ' "hit me baby one more time" springs to mind.
That's actually what they requested. They said, "Wey knowe that this is awll veery deep, but d'you knowe anything boi Brittney Speeears? Y'knowe, liahke "'It Me Bayby Won Moare Tiahme?"

Harpies chewing on glass, people.

DON IOTAE
06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
*lol*

orangedarkblue
06-13-2006, 03:00 PM

By crikey. Reminds me of these two completely serious scottish girls, I once was fortunate enough to witness, during their 7 minute rendition of 'Isn't it ironic' on a not-so-well-tuned spanish guitar. This happened in a flat the sirens were sharing, in an appartment building somewhere in Glasgow, that in full daylight turned out to look eerily similar to the one in that Aphex twin video, 'come to daddy' I think. What was that Hicks quote again that ended with the weather?

DON IOTAE
06-13-2006, 04:07 PM
"A positive LSD story: A young man on acid realizes that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration... that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

inSin
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM

alley otis
06-13-2006, 05:05 PM
succesfuly pried open that was funny as.

some austalians accents are more servere than others i imagine it's like comparing american people from the south al la "cletus" or someone from the north

P.S down here foster's is like one of the least popular australian beers. but for some reson american tourists allways want it when they're down here.

DON IOTAE
06-13-2006, 06:04 PM
I know, it's so stupid. It's like the coffee down here. We hardly ever drink the one we export.

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 11:25 PM

some austalians accents are more servere than others i imagine it's like comparing american people from the south al la "cletus" or someone from the north

P.S down here foster's is like one of the least popular australian beers. but for some reson american tourists allways want it when they're down here.
You know, in all seriousness, it wasn't so much the accent that minds me of harpies chewing glass as much as what was being suggested- my half-assed attempt at phoeneticising the Australian accent aside.

And yes, Foster's is Australian for butt wiper- er, Budweiser- except that Americans actually drink butt wiper.

Oddman
06-14-2006, 07:37 AM
haha, i was thinking the same thing when i heard the cd. thought it was kinda cool, but ya, why? I think it may just be to add something alittle different to the record, just alittle variety. For me it kinda makes it sound more realistic and normal and sucks me in more...

Also Aley otis is right, withinone country there are so many variations of the accent that they can hardly be compared. I have a relitively mild accent compared to some people around here. I think it does have alittle to do with the north and the sounth though.. Some aussie accents are abit rough (although normal for us), while some are not that hard edged. Its kinda wierd analysing the way i speak as being "different" though..

DON IOTAE
06-14-2006, 09:40 AM
You know, in all seriousness, it wasn't so much the accent that minds me of harpies chewing glass as much as what was being suggested- my half-assed attempt at phoeneticising the Australian accent aside.

And yes, Foster's is Australian for butt wiper- er, Budweiser- except that Americans actually drink butt wiper.
Ha! *lol*

and wtf is up with those beer tasting commercials, where they actually get people to compare tastes? I mean, I know that certain beers taste different, but that taste comparison is ridiculous. Just go with the one you want. Like, I wouldn't drink a beer because a TV commercial tells me it tastes better: how the fuck do they know what a good tasting beer is for me?

And that reminds me of the time Bill Hicks went to watch "Basic Instinct".

DON IOTAE
08-04-2006, 01:41 PM

that's crikey, mate! I'm sorry I see it 'til now, it's fuckin funny. The imitator is fuckin awesome.

Louis_116206
08-13-2006, 11:50 AM
i dont think the australlian accent has anything to do with it and if it does its way to implicit for the majority to notice.

roots
08-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Well, I'm aussie with watson as my last name....now I just have to become a doctor and I'm on a tool album! sweet!

DON IOTAE
08-17-2006, 05:06 AM
*lol*

tell us dr watson, wtf are you doin in there??

mr. nikki jensen
08-17-2006, 07:45 AM
australian accent is freaking sexy.... love aussie girls talking

DON IOTAE
08-17-2006, 07:48 AM
i love 'em whining...

(never experienced that, actually...)

mr. nikki jensen
08-17-2006, 07:58 AM
i love 'em whining...

(never experienced that, actually...)

well, it was good for a giggle anyway right?

DON IOTAE
08-17-2006, 05:16 PM
i know an aussie chick. shes hot. has an american accent tho.

WTF

IcaLynn
08-18-2006, 08:19 AM

that was a bill hicks quote, he did the satan voice and everything. "suck satans cock" *snort*

IcaLynn
08-18-2006, 08:21 AM
And neow, Ih'm gonna put me thumb up 'is butt'ole! WAGH! This is reelly gonna maike 'im mad!

bahahaha

fuckin sick-o's...i love it

mr. nikki jensen
08-18-2006, 08:28 AM
i know an aussie chick. shes hot. has an american accent tho.

WTF

BTW i remember then "baywatch hawaii" were on the television a few years back. there was a aussie chick too. god damn she was Hot

IcaLynn
08-18-2006, 08:33 AM
By crikey. Reminds me of these two completely serious scottish girls, I once was fortunate enough to witness, during their 7 minute rendition of 'Isn't it ironic' on a not-so-well-tuned spanish guitar. This happened in a flat the sirens were sharing, in an appartment building somewhere in Glasgow, that in full daylight turned out to look eerily similar to the one in that Aphex twin video, 'come to daddy' I think. What was that Hicks quote again that ended with the weather?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/IcaLynn222/orhicks7mh.png

IcaLynn
08-18-2006, 08:39 AM
most of the recorded ufo sightings are in europe, like germany or russia or something like that, im not sure which. they are actually trying to contact aliens if they havent already. i dont really follow it anymore. our fucked up government just tries to cover it all up...assholes. is there any one out there who would rather to know whats going on than to guess? id rather know. imagine if they had tried to cover up 9/11, im sure that theres important details that the public doesnt know...

....ranting again...sorry

anyway, there were german and italian accents in Aenima, i think that tool just wanted to follow a pattern, but it is kinda spacy. who knows, maybe the guy that was was suppossed to record that day was gone and they just got an aussie bum from the streets.

DON IOTAE
08-18-2006, 10:23 AM
^ you gotta point there about the accents...

*scratches head*

jevons
03-01-2007, 05:30 PM
No, i did not read all of this thread, but i sincerely doubt this came up; the doctor comes from a different ''world,'' do you hear the crazy kid speaking in an Australian accent? No. Do you hear a kangaroo's sticky pouch? No. Different hemispheres, America and America South, any takers?
Is there anybody in there?

DON IOTAE
03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
i dont get it. please restate.

jevons
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
The language is the same, but they are ''indigenous'' to different cultural practices. I just thought it might mean the kid starts at a disadvantage; lobbying for a concept that he'll get locked up for either way, even if what he claims is the truth.
I had a friend almost get tossed into a Croatian jail last week, and i though, "fuck, if he knew the law better, he wouldn't have been in such a tight spot." He was there without a visa for three days.
That is where the connection started.
Better?
How's my driving?

DON IOTAE
03-02-2007, 04:35 PM
holy shit. im at a loss, here. i just need to get my thoughts straight.

ok, ok. your friend's example helps.

So, you're saying that the accent is NOT australian?

jevons
03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
no, it is. But the fact that Maynard's is not implies the two are foreign to one another.

DON IOTAE
03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
then what was that talk of America and America South?

jevons
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
The way Australia functions reminds me of a pseudo-American, (not to be rude) primitive version of the shitty aspects of America: treatment of Aboriginals, though not to the same extent, beer culture. My fault, shit analogy.

DON IOTAE
03-02-2007, 04:58 PM
ok. NOW i got it.

*exhales*

jevons
03-02-2007, 05:10 PM
you like?

DON IOTAE
03-02-2007, 05:15 PM
not really.

lol

jevons
03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Aw for fucks'sake. then what? What reason would the doctor be from a different hemisphere. Two halves of something greater? Two incomplete things, since we divided it with shit like borders. The dwellers accepting their incompleteness as a whole reality? Aw fucking fuck.
You just did this to piss me off, yeah?

DON IOTAE
03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
now i understand less.

jk.

still, your case isnt strong! it coulda been a chineses and a peruvian doctor. why not?

jevons
03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
The nationalities are irrelevant. The difference would be the same if it were the Peruvian doctor and the Chinese railroad worker. The difference. Different WORLDS. aah.

DON IOTAE
03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
OK, THAT i GET.

but,

Why the Australian accent?

jevons
03-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Mother fuck. It signifies a polar (geographically), yet similar (in terms of weakness, ignorance) area. The two speak the same language but have different cultural perspectives. I believe this signifies unnecesary divides restricting Humanity. If the doctor really wanted to help, he wouldn't strap him to a bed.
Think about Socrates: The doctor to his own, the poet, likewise. The nurse doesn't have an accent, only the doctor.
The fuck you don't get it.
The doctor, endorsing his own esoteric perspectives, has written the kid off as a paranoid schitzophrenic before he even finished the story; ergo eliminating the ''what if'' potential for the kid to be right.
The fu ckck you don't get it.

jevons
03-04-2007, 03:41 PM
guess how many fingers i'm holding up?

DON IOTAE
03-04-2007, 05:07 PM
one!

>:|

jevons
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
does this >:| mean ï have an angry face?

insert hysterical comment here.

jevons
03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Oh, i got one. Jesus walks into a hardware store.

DON IOTAE
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
and buys a tool?

jevons
03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
What happened to your rodent?

Na, i just thought it would make him uncomfortable, being around so many nails. He would think, ''where are they all going to go?'' and the nails would think ''we're here to tell you someone wishes you were never born.'''

It isn't funny.

DON IOTAE
03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
IT WASNT A RODENT!! you missed the seal fad.

thats a cruel joke.

jevons
03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Like, Ti-he-i'm keeps on slippin'slippin slippin, into the fuuuutaaaaa?

DON IOTAE
03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Jesus was a good man. Shame what happened to him.

fuckin nails.

jevons
03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Man, if i ever found one of those nails, they'd probably all be hanging out together on a street corner somewhere, fucking cowards. And i'd be all ''fuck you guys.'' and they's gonna be all ''we didn't do it, was the hammer, i swear.'' And i'd fucking bend them like this: ~
so they look like the flaccid penis/cigarette on Canadian packs of cigarretes that warn Canadians aboot the dangers of becoming impotent from smoking cigarettes.

Then i'd go looking for the hammer... Fucking cowardly hammers.

www.toofar.com

Opiate_Mass
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM
most of the recorded ufo sightings are in europe, like germany or russia or something like that, im not sure which. they are actually trying to contact aliens if they havent already. i dont really follow it anymore. our fucked up government just tries to cover it all up...assholes. is there any one out there who would rather to know whats going on than to guess? id rather know. imagine if they had tried to cover up 9/11, im sure that theres important details that the public doesnt know...

....ranting again...sorry

anyway, there were german and italian accents in Aenima, i think that tool just wanted to follow a pattern, but it is kinda spacy. who knows, maybe the guy that was was suppossed to record that day was gone and they just got an aussie bum from the streets.
well actually, from my understanding and research, the governments contacted them ages ago, and they've made a deal as to the quota of how many cattle can be slaughtered, and people can be abducted per year.

Opiate_Mass
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Like, Ti-he-i'm keeps on slippin'slippin slippin, into the fuuuutaaaaa?

lol, into the Futa.

jevons
03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
And Russia is a part of Asia. -10,000 points for whoever said that. And all that aboot a quota is foolish. The ones doing that are like fucking middle school kids of the Galaxy. Don't worry about them, or anything, just learn more and know the difference between your ugly friend and a nine-foot lizzard being, just in case.

Seal 4 life.
out.

Wild_Lion_
03-08-2007, 08:50 PM
The accent they're trying to immitate is kiwi (new zealander) Ya know; those 2 small islands just below Australia.
Maynard wrote LK and RS about a kid that did drugs and ended up thinking he was the choosen one and would lead the way. The kid was a huge tool fan and started thinking Maynard was guna be the next Jesus and held them up to be God's, this is why they desided to step out of the shadows and show them selves to be normal people on 10,000days album.
The kid was put in a mental hospital because he had become dellusional and lost the plot but before doing so he sent Maynard the story of what he had believed to have happened.

This is what I was told from a reliable source

DON IOTAE
03-08-2007, 08:52 PM
ok, but why?

nice way of NOT answering the question...

Wild_Lion_
03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
because the place of where this all happened was in NZ. So they wanted to re-enact what took place

jevons
03-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Right. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bye.

jevons
03-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Pardon?

Sorry, paadon?

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Hung the Fuck Over.

How's life?

And you still haven't told me what this pun is. 10,000 dayeees?

chatnoir
03-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Aw for fucks'sake. then what? What reason would the doctor be from a different hemisphere. Two halves of something greater? Two incomplete things, since we divided it with shit like borders. The dwellers accepting their incompleteness as a whole reality? Aw fucking fuck.
You just did this to piss me off, yeah?

why shouldn't the doctor's accent be other than american? maybe using american accents throughout would just be too predictable/typical for an american album. i think it makes it feel more global... another thought is that if both nurse and doctor's accents were american, the dialogue would sound too much like an extract from some generic soap opera...

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Black Cat, did you read my posts? I think you need to read them... all of them.

The purpose, methinks, is to show THE DOCTOR COMES FROM A DIFFERENT PLACE THAN THE PATIENT.

SOCRATES

GO READ SOCRATES.

jevons
03-11-2007, 02:23 PM
oh....ho

DON IOTAE
03-13-2007, 09:27 PM
shit, you got your ass probed...

Luosdasa
03-13-2007, 10:21 PM
dunno about the whole story the other guy said, tho it sounds more than kinda cool... but yeh, the accent is definately kiwi.

maybe they just like scenery of the little place?
or mad lord of the rings fans? (can see the ram rooters cringing from this side of the water)

tryptosaur
03-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Personally I feel the accent gives the effect of a kind of cognitive dissonance---yes, it's English, but a foreign/alien version which happens to come from "Down Under", below the equator where the seasons are reversed. You know how when after a good strong dose everything is somehow very different, yet you can't quite put your finger on it? Maybe since he "lost his keys" (which really cannot be blamed on Hofmann, since he accidently invented/discovered LSD- which indirectly led to the research into DMT, which this guy apparently had a generous helping of) he was reborn into his old/supposedly-familiar home, yet in an unfamiliar place.