PDA

View Full Version : reffering to the delusion of ego

iangalaher
04-15-2003, 11:30 PM
listen to the song with this in mind.

Nirvana
04-16-2003, 12:03 AM
thats going to be an easy one for me ;-)

so... then what?

iangalaher
04-16-2003, 07:23 AM
hehe.. then think about it.

"would you? would you die for me?"

it's like self chasing enlightenment. how does self get rid of self? it's impossible, it's like trying to eat your mouth.

"not all maryers see divinity, but at least you tried."
ego can only <i>try</i> to see "divinity" or enlightenment (or truth or whatever word you want to use), but really it has to die in order to attain enlightenment.

"Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud."
A voice that was strong and loud within the mind. Ego shouts at us, telling us this is good, this is bad, this experience is correct, this is incorrect.

"Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart.
We'll miss him."
Isn't it easy to look for fault outside our selves?

... i could go on and on but i dunno, i don't want to dissect it too far..

i guess my first post might have been a little uh... short, but i'd rather people thought about it on their own. it's funner that way.

iangalaher
04-16-2003, 09:33 AM
although the line "to nail the next martar" doesn't really make sense...

so maybe it wasn't maynards point when he wrote the song...

but it's what i hear : )

Mehhico
05-13-2003, 10:32 PM
I agree with you that Eulogy may be interpreted as the crucifying of the ego. Whether it is Maynard personally, or him giving a universal call to everyone to realise that the ego is a negative part of our personalities (my opinion), and to dismiss the ranting and dominance it can have on the way we communicate.

This track, I think, can be about any part of our personalities which has this negative affect, which, to follow up your last post iangalaher, leads into the line "to nail the next fool martyr". Which I think may refer to these other self-destructive traits.

So, I think the final realisation or the goal of the song is something along the lines of: Learn how to have an objective view of yourself and realise these barriers which obstruct communication (whether it be communicating with ourselves or another person(s)).

Take care,
Andy