PDA

View Full Version : My recent experience with this song.....

4thman
06-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey guys, this is my first time on this site although I have have been a huge fan of the band since AEnima was released and I just wanted to tell you about an experience of Rosetta Stoned that I had.

This is probably small shit but a couple nights ago I was at a friends house to pick up a printing of a drawing I had done. He offered me a cone and so I agreed and had one just before leaving. I left the house and immediately felt the effects. I got into my and Rosetta Stoned was the next song on the stereo. And I have to say that being stoned while listening to this song and driving was such a fucking trip out. It was almost like finally getting the intended experience of the song. It scared the shit out of me listening to Maynard's voice but it took me on such an awesome journey especially when it hit the 7 minute mark and the drum solo kicked in. By coincedense the song ended just as I pulled into my driveway and I said to myself, "Now that is a Tool song!". It was a trip out because I never really noticed Rosetta Stoned or Lost Keys for that matter that much before that night and now it is one of my favourite songs on the album. Its wierd now because I havent captured that feeling again since not having another cone since.

Now Im not pushing this on anyone or anything but if you do get the chance, listen to this song stoned and I hope you get the same feeling I did. I wan tto try it again but this time I want to do it with 10,000 days as its my fave song on the album.

Thanx for listening or reading this guys..............

P.S. I could totally picture Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned being the opener for their shows. Those tracks are so made for a live performance.

hushypushy
06-07-2006, 09:17 PM
i have a weird feeling that 90% of the people who will read this post have already heard this song whilst stoned (myself included). Lost Keys really freaks me out, with the breathing in the back and the echo on the doctor's voice...and then wham into rosetta stoned. well not really wham, it's like a 15 minute adventure.

if you want an adventure with this album, get high, get a surround sound system, turn on Pro Logic II (music preset), put on wfm/10kd, and go nuts.

Carny_Handles
06-08-2006, 04:54 PM
the first time i put this cd into my home theater cd player I sparked up a bowl. It was a trip and a half, especially since everything was new to me, and I was hearing it all.. all the layers.. everything.

LetGoLetgoLetGo
06-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Carny: Your avatar is the shizzbomb. Friggin liarious.

Anyways, I have listened to this song and the rest of the album many times now while baked. Great time. Almost always with headphones, in the dark, lying in my bed.

BUT, I have had some strange experiences during RS (while high of course). I find that the tribal breakdown puts me in some sort of trance (more times than not), and I always miss the climax. FOCK! Its just weird shit. Maybe someone else can relate. I know some of you people out there like to zone out with TOOL like I do, so talk about any similar experiences.

This might be "new thread" material, but I just dont see the need.

hushypushy
06-10-2006, 12:42 PM
vicarious kind of scares me. i dont know, in a weird way. kind of like how when you go downstairs to the kitchen and everything is dark, that sort of way.

i have to say that the "main" riff of rosetta stoned (the one when he starts saying 10 to 2 am, blah blah) owns everything, though...that puts me into a trance

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't know that I've listened to this song while not stoned . . .

trickma
06-13-2006, 08:00 PM
i have loved rosetta stoned all along but on sunday night i smoked some pot for the first time this year and listened to the album.
Rosetta stoned stood out the most it's sooo god damn psychadelic and brilliant. Justins bass is just omg! So visual. Just everything about it is amazing, it feels like wheels in motion constantly revolving and flowing in and out of different shapes and sounds. Well it feels like something which I can't quite explain, but i rate it. :P

Satival Tributary
06-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Smoking pot and driving. What a brilliant idea.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
06-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Umm, please tell me your not serious. Please.

(talking to the guy/girl above me.)

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 11:27 PM

Some people just don't know- and then they like to pontificate about what they don't know . . .

joblobob
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Some people just don't know- and then they like to pontificate about what they don't know . . .

Agrees twice :)

Nate-Dogg85
06-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Hah, right when this album leaked, i downloaded it, listned to it once then called my roomates in to pack a bowl and enjoy with me. The entire album is incredible while high, but man, try fucking listening to it when your booming.... A buddy and i each took down an 8th of boomers and rocked out to the album, we endlessly giglged when adam hit the talk box in Jambi, the fucking CD literally came to life right in front of my eyes. After that, maynards comment of this album being a story opened up right in front of me. Visions and images flooded my brain while journeying through 10,000 days, through the pot, and into rosetta stoned where i actually began to slightly freak out thinking that i was the guy in the story maynard was singing about. The album became reality to me at that point and i cant explain how scared for my life i was. If i woulda slammed another cap or stem down my throat i probably wouldve hit the point where my soul wouldve left my body and i would be floating around the room thinking i was dead. After that, intention just made me think, and dramatically calmed me down. Right in two put a lot of things in perspective and got us going on the philosophy talk, and we didnt even listen to viginti Tres becuase we were too afraid of it....

You think this albums good when your high, take down some mushrooms and indulge, it will flip your entire world inside out.

stevejols
06-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Of cours it isn't a brilliant Idea but it isn't a bad one. I mean maybe where you live but when you drive on michigan back roads.... I mean fuck just go the speed limit.

Not one car accident yet (while I was driving)

*knock on wood*

TheJuiceOfSatan
06-17-2006, 09:57 AM
having some kind of experience with some sort of hallucinogen certainly enhances your perception of the song. what i get from the song is that we as humans were like given some sort of important gift; knowledge, consciousness, a "soul". But somehow we've forgotten what it is, and its like right on the tip of our tongues, waiting to be screamed at the top of our lungs. theres a sense of being trapped, trapped by your own mind, by your own belief, you dont know whats real or not real. total mindfuck indeed.

savelints8
06-20-2006, 06:10 PM
And I've never tried drugs...I feel so inferior for not having truly experienced the total, um, experience of this music. I'm such a loser.

jim39n
06-26-2006, 07:30 PM
you are a complete and total loser

do drugs now

start with by shooting heroine and smoking meth at the same time, that's pretty much the only safe drug combination, but it only works at really high doses.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
wow, you guys are poor comedians...

and no your not "inferior"

but you have to realize that the persons with the altered brain chemistry

have obviously heard the music in a way you haven't

it's just the way it is. doesn't make them any better or you any better.

savelints8
06-27-2006, 10:07 AM

do drugs now

start with by shooting heroine and smoking meth at the same time, that's pretty much the only safe drug combination, but it only works at really high doses.
Done.

*massively overdoses*

hbynoe
06-27-2006, 11:14 AM
yes sir...beautiful song while fucked up...and sober..but more so fucked up
as music was intended to be listened to...well sometimes anyway

jim39n
06-27-2006, 09:22 PM
wow, you guys are poor comedians...

and no your not "inferior"

but you have to realize that the persons with the altered brain chemistry

have obviously heard the music in a way you haven't

it's just the way it is. doesn't make them any better or you any better.

yeah...i'm pretty lame

bad chad
06-27-2006, 09:50 PM
I haven't listened to music stoned in a decade. But after all the comments I read in this thread, maybe its time to dust off the bowl and give it a shot. Rosetta Stoned (with lost keys before) is one of my altime fav Tool songs. I'm so happy I got tickets to the show:)

squinch
07-03-2006, 05:47 PM

do drugs now

why fuck it up

get a quarter gram of meth and about a tenth of a quarter gram of h, mix well, push into best vein you can find, prepare to become non-loser in a big way

fuck smoking it, what a waste, see god and fuck his sister after the party, that's the only way to go