PDA

View Full Version : One of the Best

NAILS
06-06-2006, 07:51 PM
This is one of the best tool songs ever if not the best.

Spiritual Release
06-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I disagree, at least tell us why you feel it's one of the best.

troublefunk
06-11-2006, 12:26 AM
I disagree, at least tell us why you feel it's one of the best.

Probably my favorite off of opiate. Such an eloquent fuck you... and the band rocks it hard. I like the early pissed off Tool, though not nearly as much as the later stuff. The agression is so pure, it doesn't have the calculated, perfect arrangements and double meangs of what they went on to do, but I still like it... it's just so raw.

nighthawk
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I think that all the songs in the Opiate deserve to be treated in the same way, since this one is the first album and is where the magic begins ... etc.

okerguy101
06-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Jerk-off to me should be played at all tools shows, that is if they could bust it out. It rocks.

eulogy09
06-20-2006, 11:04 AM
also my favorite of opiate, but like Spiritual Release said, tell us why you think so.

hushypushy
06-23-2006, 11:10 PM
this actually used to be my favorite Tool song. i dunno what happened.

but yeah, i always enjoyed the lyrics and the guitar, it's just a kickass tune.

Anthony2006
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
My second favorite song off of Opiate, next to Opiate itself.

Harry Manback
07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
It's a good song that doesn't have depth but doesn't need it. It is powerful enough as it is. That being said, it's not like other TOOL songs, mostly their latter output, where I can listen to it often and really think about it, but it's nice to put this on now and again just for the raw energy it has.

raz1iss
07-07-2006, 09:55 PM
My personal fave as well

anarcho-commie
07-09-2006, 02:51 PM
EVERY tool song is one of the best I've ever heard.

DON IOTAE
07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
THIS SONG is one of the most awesome FUCK you's I've ever heard. troublefunk said it well, "such an eloquent fuck you"... Absolutely. And the reasoning behind the justification to just "shoot you in your fuckin head" is scary. Scary because there is so much truth in it. It sends chill down my fuckin spine everytime I sing along to it. This is by far one of Tool's hardest motherfuckin songs. Fuck!

FloydTheCat
07-23-2006, 11:25 PM
this is one of my favorite tool songs as well...

i love the raw emotion in this song...especially since it's live its just emotion pouring out of the speakers at you...reminds me of many times in my life that ive just had nothing better to do but scream at the top of my lungs....

i think the songs that we like the most are the ones we can most relate to and feel a connection to....or songs that you just really love the music, as goes with jerk-off as well.....

i do have too many songs that i love its impossible to pick one out of the plethora(sp)

-FloydTheCat

DON IOTAE
07-24-2006, 05:47 AM
^ RAW indeed. The very definition of raw. Musically speaking. Abso-fuckin-lutely.

I love this song... *sighs*

Alex in Chains
09-03-2006, 09:59 AM
This is one of my favorites. I saw them close with it in 1998. Too fucking cool.

DON IOTAE
09-03-2006, 10:13 AM
you lucky bastard...

Alex in Chains
09-03-2006, 10:25 AM
you lucky bastard...

It was pretty sweet. The setlist, as far as I recall, was

Part of Me
Stinkfist
You Lied
Merkaba
Sober
Third Eye
Ænema
Jerk-off

King Buzzo played on "Stinkfist" and "You Lied," and "Jerk-off" had the alternate lyrics (" . . . fuck you myself" and "My foot up your fucking ass"). Cool show.

DON IOTAE
09-03-2006, 11:39 AM
you lucky bastard...

RaG3aH0liC
09-08-2006, 08:50 AM
I like this song a lot. I don't think it is one that has been played in recent years. I remember reading something years back on toolband.com that if they were to play it again after 9/11 it would have changed lyrics. It wouldn't be the "Shoot you in your fucking head", but something different all together. I will see if I can find that link......

edit--upon further investigation I see there is a thread for the lyric change. My bad.

NewUser
09-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Jerk-off to me should be played at all tools shows, that is if they could bust it out. It rocks.

I don't know if they're still capable of playing this one.

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I think that all the songs in the Opiate deserve to be treated in the same way, since this one is the first album and is where the magic begins ... etc.

While that's true, they changed up their sound a lot during the Aenima / Lateralus years, so this album is just a building block for Undertow and nothing else. It's a solid hard rock album that doesn't compare to the depth of Lateralus and Aenima.

SpiraMirabilis
01-02-2007, 05:15 AM

bassplayerphillip
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I also really like this song. The intro rocks, and the whole "shoot you myself" thing just makes me smile in that weird way.

resonance.
01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
The end is really something special. It's a kind of anger you just don't hear in music... It's a physical thing. It sounds like someone beating the shit out of a wall in an animalistic rage. So slashy... does it to me everytime.

trickma
01-03-2007, 07:42 PM
I think that the end of this track contains one of the most powerful tool climax's ever.

The anger, energy and momentum it creates in me when i listen is just incredible!! Similar to the feelings i get when i listen to Triad or Ticks and leeches, i love it. Theres some serious power in the vocal performance, i would loved to have seen this live..

Bogart
03-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I just really love the energy in the song, especially from Maynard. Those screams towards the end are priceless.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-17-2007, 08:36 PM
EVERY tool song is one of the best I've ever heard.

agreed.

nabiliofadilio
03-25-2007, 09:49 PM
the ending is my favorite. i don't know any other song ever that ends so angrily. amazing. and in my opinion definately one of the best tool songs.

Hodge
03-25-2007, 10:05 PM
quite enjoy the extended live version of it

Arkham Asylum
03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Definitely my favorite off Opiate and one of my favorites in general. The guitar definitely stands out on this track. The whole song is so raw (as many of you have said above) and that's what does it for me, it's a no-holds-barred, vent of frustration type of song.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
you lucky bastard...

got that right.

author of bible
03-31-2007, 05:05 PM
mmm..it sounds like..
maynard with the shotgun..

jevons
04-02-2007, 07:31 AM
It was pretty sweet. The setlist, as far as I recall, was

Part of Me
Stinkfist
You Lied
Merkaba
Sober
Third Eye
Ænema
Jerk-off

King Buzzo played on "Stinkfist" and "You Lied," and "Jerk-off" had the alternate lyrics (" . . . fuck you myself" and "My foot up your fucking ass"). Cool show.

I hate you so much.
So much.
You have my baby.

HelenA
04-27-2007, 01:19 AM
I love the way Tool to take a simple idea and extend it into the extreme. This is so cool in Jerk-off.

The simple idea is “I don’t like you”. Lots of bands have this as the theme to one or more songs. It is a normal daily event to meet someone you don’t like. But Maynard (lets assume he writes the lyrics – for the sake of simplicity) takes this simple idea and extends it through the following steps: I don’t like you, you are not a nice person, there is some natural justice in the world that demands that people like you get punished, this punishment is taking too long, we should hurry the process along, I think I should be involved in the process, I should play God and shoot you myself. It is very clever, in my opinion.

nafloot
04-29-2007, 10:51 PM
I love the way Tool to take a simple idea and extend it into the extreme. This is so cool in Jerk-off.

The simple idea is “I don’t like you”. Lots of bands have this as the theme to one or more songs. It is a normal daily event to meet someone you don’t like. But Maynard (lets assume he writes the lyrics – for the sake of simplicity) takes this simple idea and extends it through the following steps: I don’t like you, you are not a nice person, there is some natural justice in the world that demands that people like you get punished, this punishment is taking too long, we should hurry the process along, I think I should be involved in the process, I should play God and shoot you myself. It is very clever, in my opinion.

I agree with you on the cleverness (if thats a word) of TOOL in general. They also create, if you will, so many different thought threads for each song. Many more people can relate in their own way. I think thats why the music stands the test of time. It was released 15 years ago and in another 15 I will still be listening!! I just thought of something that has nothing to do with this topic, TOOL can be played on classic rock stations in five years...lol. Can't wait just more exposure!

Arai-98
04-30-2007, 03:35 AM
This is one of the best tool songs ever if not the best.

Yes i totaly agree its Angry TOOL i still rate that as one of there best songs ever written

ShaneBro
03-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Shakira is my one of the best female singer. I have see lots of their video song and all are amazing one.