PDA

View Full Version : slap bass?

count niggula
06-06-2006, 08:15 AM
hey, it kinda sounds like the bass in this song is slap bass, like flea from RHCP. is it? am i an idiot? feel free.

CaseLogic
06-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Where? Actually, that doesn't matter, there's no slap bass.

It's just his tone, which rocks btw.

TurdEye13
06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
whatever Justin is playing here sounds incredible

Bassmingo
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
hey, it kinda sounds like the bass in this song is slap bass, is it?

No

am i an idiot?

Possibly.

hushypushy
06-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Justin plays with a pick.

jrizzle
06-08-2006, 04:14 AM

I can't believe people don't know this shit

Bassmingo
06-08-2006, 04:46 AM

Except on Wings Pt 2

CaseLogic
06-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Except on Wings Pt 2

I'm a fan of your tabs - you working on one for Right in Two? =) I'm been meaning to work on it myself but I've been busy with work =( You were right-on with your intro, though.

stevejols
06-08-2006, 08:47 AM
I can't believe people don't know this shit

The real question is, what type of pick does he use?

ddygu
06-08-2006, 09:25 AM
dunlop picks i believe. i forget which thicknesses, but it is listed in the newest bass player magazine. theres a whole interview with justin, its pretty cool.

Bassmingo
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm a fan of your tabs - you working on one for Right in Two? =) I'm been meaning to work on it myself but I've been busy with work =( You were right-on with your intro, though.

Thanks very much, its much appriciated. I just got sick of seeing tabs that were hopelessly wrong. I havent done RIT yet as i've been very busy myself, but I think my jambi bass tab is in the Jambi section, i'm not sure if you've seen it.

Rosetta stoned might be my next one. I'll be seeing them in Glasgow this weekend so watching Justin will answer a lot of questions i've been asking myself.

CaseLogic
06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks very much, its much appriciated. I just got sick of seeing tabs that were hopelessly wrong. I havent done RIT yet as i've been very busy myself, but I think my jambi bass tab is in the Jambi section, i'm not sure if you've seen it.

Rosetta stoned might be my next one. I'll be seeing them in Glasgow this weekend so watching Justin will answer a lot of questions i've been asking myself.

Yeah I saw your Jambi tab... someone posted some Rosetta Stoned tabs here, if you wanna check them out. It's pretty good for the most part, let me see if I can find the thread.

Here you go:
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=48203

My only real corrections are there in the thread, but also that first breakdown part, it's pretty much just 12 (and like one 10) on the high D string with a wah and some sort of distortion maybe.

I'm sure there are some mistakes here and there, but I think the tab has a pretty damn good foundation if you want to just tweak it here and there.

jonny04srt4
06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
the pot was kinda hard to figure out at first without knowing where justin is playing it on his bass. after looking at some tabs of it i figured it out. the rythm is pretty crazy throughout the whole song. to be honest this cd was a bit harder to figure out for bass than the last ones, but still pretty easy for me to play. i even figured out the crazy weird wah pitch shift in right in two with my digitech pedal.

jonny04srt4
06-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Except on Wings Pt 2

i do have to say that its pretty odd that justin plays with his fingers in this song, being as i dont remember him using fingerstyle in any other tool song. i dunno.....

andrew7667
06-08-2006, 09:43 PM
It may be odd, but it does suit the song fairly well IMO. The more dull sounding bass (for lack of a better term) sounds better than the more crisp sound that you get out of a pick.

][ncognito
06-08-2006, 10:26 PM
i do have to say that its pretty odd that justin plays with his fingers in this song, being as i dont remember him using fingerstyle in any other tool song. i dunno.....

The Bass Player interview said that during the downtime he wanted to learn how, as he had always used a pick in the past. So he spent some time and was taught and learned the art of fingerstyle as well.

CaseLogic
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
[ncognito']The Bass Player interview said that during the downtime he wanted to learn how, as he had always used a pick in the past. So he spent some time and was taught and learned the art of fingerstyle as well.

does anyone have a link to this article?

rogerdoger
06-09-2006, 11:45 AM
I love the bass in this song, I think it's the best part of it along with the vocals. And a link would be nice.

bass_dude
06-10-2006, 05:19 AM
dunlop picks i believe. i forget which thicknesses, but it is listed in the newest bass player magazine. theres a whole interview with justin, its pretty cool.

i gotta get me that issue- is he on the cover? and you mean June, right? cause i know they put out their mags quite a bit earlier than the month in question...

Lotus 2
06-10-2006, 11:13 AM
hey, it kinda sounds like the bass in this song is slap bass, like flea from RHCP. is it? am i an idiot? feel free.
i think it sounds more like tony levin when he was in king crimson

jonny04srt4
06-11-2006, 08:35 AM
[ncognito']The Bass Player interview said that during the downtime he wanted to learn how, as he had always used a pick in the past. So he spent some time and was taught and learned the art of fingerstyle as well.

for me it was the complete opposite. i learned fingerstyle and never even thought of using a pick. then i started learning picking techniques, which btw is pretty hard comming from the fingerstyle route. its hard not to over play with a pick amongst other things.

5th Eye
06-11-2006, 09:05 AM
I tried to do a Right in Two tab. It's pretty hard to figure out.

Lysander
06-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I thought it was slap bass at first, too. If you listen closer though, the part you think is a slap is actually an electronic sound that Danny is hitting at the same time as the bass note.

Exegesis
06-12-2006, 07:33 AM

he's not slapping. he's just a maestro with the pick.

Exegesis
06-12-2006, 07:34 AM
for me it was the complete opposite. i learned fingerstyle and never even thought of using a pick. then i started learning picking techniques, which btw is pretty hard comming from the fingerstyle route. its hard not to over play with a pick amongst other things.

i started playing with fingers, playing iron maiden songs all day...but then my wrist started hurting and it got weak. i had to switch to a pick, cuz it was easier on my wrist for some reason.

i like the sound i can get with a pick, so i worked out.

CaseLogic
06-12-2006, 07:53 AM
I tried to do a Right in Two tab. It's pretty hard to figure out.

Word to that

Loveboat Captain
06-17-2006, 04:27 PM
When you bash the bass strings that hard with your pick, it has that tone to it. It's much deeper than how it would sound slapped.

AccidentOfBirth
07-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Listen to the intro to Hush. Same idea...just hit the strings very hard with the pick. JC rarely doesn't use a pick.

chest rockwell
07-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Definitely SOUNDS like slap bass though.

5th Eye
07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
It's pretty hard to slap the D string on any bass and slap it well.

Louis_116206
08-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't think he uses a pick in this. the sound is smoother and less of a plucked ring is given off. i don't think it is slap bass but it does sound like he is playing with his fingers. also has anyone tried to play it? Itts easy to learn the tab but getting the timing right is fucking rediculous.

Louis_116206
08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
lol watch everyone gang up on me now

Loz_Leigh
08-23-2006, 05:11 AM
The tone of the intro says to me that hes using a pick on the d and g, using the d string to pedal off. I think if he played it any higher or wih fingers he'd lose that snappy tone, personaly I dont use a pick when playing bass, I prefere a more natural connection with my instrument, but justin can play like a motherfuker and I respect that.

ktdude
08-23-2006, 05:20 AM
The tone of the intro says to me that hes using a pick on the d and g, using the d string to pedal off. I think if he played it any higher or wih fingers he'd lose that snappy tone, personaly I dont use a pick when playing bass, I prefere a more natural connection with my instrument, but justin can play like a motherfuker and I respect that.

Couldn't agree more. I can play this fine fingerstyle but the snappiness JC gets from using his pick is difficult to imitate with fingers. It's a kick ass piece of work.

Oddman
08-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Its a great song on bass. The timing is just what gets you when learning it but after you memorize it its easy.

philipg
09-01-2006, 07:00 PM
justin plays with a pick and has a super present bass tone.
no slapping here.

okemopoma
09-03-2006, 10:56 AM

No. Its just an incredible percussive picking style. Very hard to master.
Though Flea does a great job with his hands and fingers too. I read that Flea used to slap his bass so hard his thumb would bleed at every show. He used to crazy glue it to finish the set. Far out!

Being a bassist myself, I never really liked the sound of a plastic pick on a steel string. I have 5 good picks built in on one hand. Geddy Lee of Rush was the first to truly get this great percussive sound with just his fingers. However, there is a place for everything and every style. The bass sound on this track is so clear, cutting, motivating. Almost the same kind of style used on The Grudge.
I love it and will be trying to play it and get that sound for a long time I am sure.

Phalanges
09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
The bass on Reflection is pretty poppish sounding too. Justin is a badass.