PDA

View Full Version : The Pot -- new single?

Underalus
05-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Just played the pot as "new Tool", so I'll just go ahead and assume that it's officially the new single. DISCUSS!!

P1_PP1_N
06-06-2006, 03:49 AM
That radio station is garbage, the only reason they play Tool is because it went #1. They also played the Patient after Lateralus came out, so I wouldn't assume just yet that it is the new single.

toolism
06-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Well, I am currently listening to The Pot on the radio...so I guess this is our big surprise :)

DON IOTAE
06-06-2006, 06:07 AM
JA! I knew it... dammit. So much for the DVD release rumor...

toolism
06-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Yea i knew nothing was gonna happen but it wouldve been damn cool if it did...

Akasha
06-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Yea i knew nothing was gonna happen but it wouldve been damn cool if it did...

lol. i still think, as blair said, the band will have the last laugh.

phishman1
06-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Great. And because of this, we get to hear The Pot on the radio once or twice over the next 2 weeks, then never again. Radio sucks.

I was really hoping that we'd get to see the video for Vicarious today, but it's not looking good. Someday...

So, at this rate, I suppose we should expect a video for The Pot to appear in December. Or maybe not at all. I definitely remember hearing 'Lateralus' on the radio, and there was (unfortunately) no video.

Who freakin' knows...

TiVa
06-06-2006, 06:15 AM
it sounds possible when people said there were released 3 dates, the date of the vicarious single, the date of the album, so another date of a single is possible, but the 6th isn't over yet, and other people were saying they heard the pot before on the radio (wich i don't get, i think it's the weakest song on the album... but that's just an opinion ofcourse)

JohnyQ10
06-06-2006, 06:21 AM
first of all, my friend has been hearing the pot here in massachusetts for over a week. radio stations like WBCN, FNX and WAAF would be the ones playing it, so its already been on the radio.

koobcam
06-06-2006, 06:23 AM
what about something that affects the world. Tool are not played in any other country on the radio... (AFAIK)

tooldude
06-06-2006, 06:25 AM
i bet the folks at tonights concert in hamburg will be in for a treat

TiVa
06-06-2006, 06:26 AM
what about something that affects the world. Tool are not played in any other country on the radio... (AFAIK)
yeah but then there's again that "story" (is it true is it not, i don't now) about those 3 dates that adam released somewhere... one of the dates was may 2th, while i got the album in stores at 28th april (europe) so that's just not worldwide too

toolism
06-06-2006, 06:31 AM
I don't listen to the radio that much so if it already started to be played, sorry people

davelisowski
06-06-2006, 06:36 AM
"The Pot" on the radio? Too bad I don't listen to the radio. But that's cool because I think it's an awesome song. Nice sloshy-rock. Thanks for the info.

vic1torious
06-06-2006, 06:45 AM
i've already heard this song on the radio before today

lemonlateralus
06-06-2006, 06:46 AM
it sounds possible when people said there were released 3 dates, the date of the vicarious single, the date of the album, so another date of a single is possible, but the 6th isn't over yet...

Exactly...the 6th isnt over yet, in fact if Blair usually posts news around 1pm that means that we (in UK) won't find out anything till about 8-9pm...if he does post anything that is :P

blkmetal
06-06-2006, 06:48 AM

same here

bitter_enigma
06-06-2006, 06:55 AM
same here
And me. Nothing unusual about it.

new dimension_disposition
06-06-2006, 07:01 AM
it sounds possible when people said there were released 3 dates, the date of the vicarious single, the date of the album, so another date of a single is possible, but the 6th isn't over yet, and other people were saying they heard the pot before on the radio (wich i don't get, i think it's the weakest song on the album... but that's just an opinion ofcourse)
i agree

the darknight
06-06-2006, 07:13 AM
they have been playing the pot on the radio for a few weeks here already...

speakfree07
06-06-2006, 07:40 AM
ya'll give up yet?

Akasha
06-06-2006, 07:42 AM
i bet the folks at tonights concert in hamburg will be in for a treat

i mean, this is far fetched, but:

in one of the numerology systems, assigning A-100, B-101, C-102 etc etc etc etc.

HITLER (germany) is 107 + 108 + 119 + 111 + 104 + 117 = 666. lol. food for thought. altho prly just nothing.

Akasha
06-06-2006, 07:54 AM
yeh its complete over analyzing, but it popped into my head cos someone posted the numerology thing in the socialize forum. lol. no im not serious about it if anyones wandering,

Nizzem
06-06-2006, 07:57 AM
they have been playing the pot on the radio for a few weeks here already...
same here

nebadon2025
06-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Just played the pot as "new Tool", so I'll just go ahead and assume that it's officially the new single. DISCUSS!!

wasnt Vicarous the 1st 10,000 days song on the radio...???

hbynoe
06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
new single already....hmm

that was really fast

praefector
06-06-2006, 09:15 AM
it probably isnt a new single... just a program manager deciding to play something other than vicarious

Bubba_Phat
06-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah... I've heard The Pot and Right in Two on radio already, each within a week of the album's release. I wouldn't say that just because The Pot is on the radio means it's "the new single." They won't release a new single before the Vicarious video hits the airwaves.

Goad
06-06-2006, 09:21 AM
uhhhh....ive heard on Sirius radio The Pot and Jambi for the last 2-3 weeks....old news.

praefector
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
well hearing something on satellite radio is much different than hearing it on FM radio

Bloody
06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
yeah b/c I've heard rosetta stoned on one of my music stations

praefector
06-06-2006, 09:27 AM
i guess we need new radio stations because our main rock station played the whole album the night before it was released and now they only play vicarious twice a day

of course i dont always listen to the radio so i dunno for sure, but no one i know has mentioned anything else on the radio from 10k days

resonance.
06-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Well, I am currently listening to The Pot on the radio...so I guess this is our big surprise :)

Well thank GOD. I'm so glad I can listen to that shitty song in my shitty car stereo buffered by shitty commercials.

Juzblome
06-06-2006, 10:46 AM
The fact that Any of these songs other than "Vicarious" ( Wich I feel was made for Radio {Schism} ) are getting airplay, Is a good thing.

As long as the GM's keep it up long enough that they can break into Regular Rotation.

If was a Program Manager of a radio staion I would Play all Tool albums in order today From start to finish on a loop. And yaeh I know I'd get fired, So I'd play em with no Commercials all day.

Just lock the controll room and let er Ride

rogerdoger
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
The fact that Any of these songs other than "Vicarious" ( Wich I feel was made for Radio {Schism} ) are getting airplay, Is a good thing.

As long as the GM's keep it up long enough that they can break into Regular Rotation.

If was a Program Manager of a radio staion I would Play all Tool albums in order today From start to finish on a loop. And yaeh I know I'd get fired, So I'd play em with no Commercials all day.

Just lock the controll room and let er Ride
That would be brilliant.

Matt8
06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
a single was released? im still waiting on this fucking vicarious video.

ThreeDeviations
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM

I heard The Pot back on the radio back in June of 02.

I also bought 10,000 Days before any of you heard it. I bought it back in 1995.

I'm cool now.

one more thing..

fuck all you druggies

Juzblome
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I heard The Pot back on the radio back in June of 02.

I also bought 10,000 Days before any of you heard it. I bought it back in 1995.

I'm cool now.

one more thing..

fuck all you druggies

Am I cool yet?

Nope

smeefsmeef
06-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Is any of this official? and if it is, do you have proof?

bitter_enigma
06-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Is any of this official? and if it is, do you have proof?
I think we can put this whole thread down to a case of "Shit the bed again."

Typical.

bradpeterson
06-07-2006, 04:58 PM

They played The Pot almost a month ago. I think I heard it on two different occasions, too.

smeefsmeef
06-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Maybe they'r playing it once in a purple moon on some radio stations, but the whole 6/6/06 rumor thing is a lie. It's too early for a second single anyway.

What I'm wondering is why it's taking so long for a Vicarious music video to come out. The Pot will be released as a single, but not for quite some time.

Prometheus
06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
has anyone seen the Pot video floating around on youtube? the one with the slugs eating people.. i'm not sure if it's real or not, but it really is awesome..
edit: nevermind, i just saw it posted here.. and it's not real.. but it's still sweet..

paper_head
06-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah, you know that this song is going to be a single. Which I think kind of sucks because it's probably my least favorite song on the album. Danny, Justin, and Adam are all great on this track. I love Maynard's vocals but the lyrics just sound so un-Toolish to me. It's just not what I'm used to from Tool.

jrizzle
06-08-2006, 04:15 AM

My station has been playing for weeks

Artistic Sickness
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
i JUST got in from my car, where my station (99.3, CFOX in vancouver) just aired an interview with Justin going on about how the band was pissed that the album leaked, but happy it stayed..umm.. "un-leaked".. as long as it did.. but since they've sold over a million copies in the first month, they really dont care anymore..
anyways... and THEN the station went on the say that The Pot is indeed the next single.. and then proceeded to play it... SO.. yeah..
It's a bloody good single too... i can see it getting more people into Tool... ive already found many friends who dont care much for Tool totally digging The Pot..

mrc209
06-09-2006, 09:20 PM
It is getting play on Sirius Satelite Radio.

bass_dude
06-10-2006, 05:14 AM
It's going to be great when all the housewives think it's james blunt, buy it, realize it isn't, then give it to their "angsty teen" kid, who will then open his/her mind to tool...

Terry21
06-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Yeah, you know that this song is going to be a single. Which I think kind of sucks because it's probably my least favorite song on the album. Danny, Justin, and Adam are all great on this track. I love Maynard's vocals but the lyrics just sound so un-Toolish to me. It's just not what I'm used to from Tool.

We still haven't got the lyrics, so...

Light Reflections
06-10-2006, 05:34 AM
the lyrics just sound so un-Toolish to me. It's just not what I'm used to from Tool.
I suppose you're not a fan of the album title either, huh? :p

Lordog
06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
I heard The Pot last night on X103.9. I would have rather have heard Jambi or Wings Pt2 as the next single, but who am I anyway?

Artistic Sickness
06-10-2006, 10:05 AM
i honestly dont see why a lot of people really dont like the pot... it's a fabulous song, in my mind.. aside from Vicarious (which i think sounded a wee bit commercial) it was the most Tool sounding song... with the guitar buildup the first time he says "you must've been.." and then the drums and the wicked freaking bass.. i dunno... this is the first song on the album i found myself totally liking.
Oh. and just out of curiosity.. why do so many people think Jambi is incredible?? i find extremely ponderous... the chugga chugga riffs for the first half of the song.. the end bit is fantastic (as most Tool songs are)... but i dunno... i skip over it most of the time to be honest..

bass_dude
06-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I heard The Pot last night on X103.9. I would have rather have heard Jambi or Wings Pt2 as the next single, but who am I anyway?

you'll never hear Wings as a single. It's way too long, and nowhere near 'commercial' sounding enough.

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Does anyone think that the Pot WON'T be the next single?

guitarpete987
06-12-2006, 08:31 PM
i honestly dont see why a lot of people really dont like the pot... it's a fabulous song, in my mind.. aside from Vicarious (which i think sounded a wee bit commercial) it was the most Tool sounding song... with the guitar buildup the first time he says "you must've been.." and then the drums and the wicked freaking bass.. i dunno... this is the first song on the album i found myself totally liking.
Oh. and just out of curiosity.. why do so many people think Jambi is incredible?? i find extremely ponderous... the chugga chugga riffs for the first half of the song.. the end bit is fantastic (as most Tool songs are)... but i dunno... i skip over it most of the time to be honest..

You're totally right about The Pot. Wow, right after the intro, when the band kicks in the first time, I get chills every time, especially when I hear it loud, cause it's totally a sound only Tool could create.

But I disagree with you about Jambi. I love Jambi. The intro has a lotta chugging, but it's all in the subtleties of the chugging, man. I wonder if you like The Grudge, cause that song is a whoooooole lotta chugging also, and on a single note, to boot.

And Justin and Danny are doing some incredible stuff. One of my favorite things about Tool songs is that they always get better toward the end. Few bands know how to end a song like Tool does.

And I fully expect The Pot to be the next single. Or Right in Two. But I expect Right in Two to be the third single. Sadly, I think radio will edit the tabla solo to be only a few bars long.

SunBurN
06-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Personally I love Jambi and I think it sounds as much like traditional Tool as The Pot! With that said, I fricken love The Pot!

ErikTheRed
06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Neither "Wings" nor "Wings II" will EVER be a hit single-- too long, too methodical, too un-comercial. "The Pot" is already getting radio play, and is well on its merry way to becomming the next single from 10,000 Days. Personally, I think the opening lyrical in "The Pot" is so NOT Tool, its kinda embarrasing. As the song progresses, it becomes classic Tool in lyrical style, content, and structure. I forecast Jambi as the #3 hit, its a good example of Tool as well. Regardless of the artsy-fart opinion lurking in these forum pages, the vast majority of Tool fans want to hear TOOL. Remember, some call it "progression", some call it "selling out", and still some call it "losing the edge". Metallica tried a "change", and lost millions of faithful followers in the process-- and they have yet to return to their former glory. Im not a big fan of 10,000 days, it seems to reach alittle farther than Im comfortable with. I dont listen to Tool for an enlightening spiritual experience, I listen to Tool because of their unmatched and unbelieveble sound. The band is loaded with talent, and their music is so unique it cant be touched. (AFI tried it, but sorry guys, you have a BUNCH of work to do.) As an example, theres a piece about 7 minutes into "Rosetta Stoned" that almost sounds like a riff from the Theme from Shaft--- totally unfitting and very 70's funk. This is NOT becomming of Tool, in my opnion. Say what you will about me stiffling the creativity, but it just doesnt work. Undertow and Aenima are Tool in their most blatent form, and the Tool I have come to adore. Lateralus was alittle off the mark, but still incredible and very Tool for most of its nature. Now with 10,000 Days, to say the least, Im a bit concerned. 3 or 4 very listenable songs and a bunch of filler.

ladycommish
06-18-2006, 02:35 PM
But they have butchered it like Aenema. "Sip on my black kettle" and I can't remember what else. Is it the new single, or is my local station just doing what they want?

Cid
06-23-2006, 09:55 PM
it's been said this will be the new single, but i'm really disappointed. there's so many better songs on this album and this song mis-represents tool completely. horrible song.

slicknickshady
06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
http://www.mmr247.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Jump.asp?Chart=r3M

http://www.mmr247.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Details.asp?sngcde=TOOLP5&format=R3M&mode=leader

I have a feeling this will be Tools first #1 Hit on either of the rock charts.

Schism got as High as #2 on The Modern Rock and Mainstream Rock Charts.
Vicarious got as High as #2 on The Modern Rock and Mainstream Rock Charts.

I thought Vicarious would be a #1 hit, It got close.

eleventh minute
07-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Here, this is a few months old.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=43280

'nuff said.

smeefsmeef
07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Tool really likes to make us wait.

anarcho-commie
07-08-2006, 11:42 PM
I hate to refer to it this way, but The Pot is one of the more "radio friendly" songs on the album.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
07-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Don't think they'd release another single until after the first single has a video...

smok3y
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
i don't listen to the radio much but i've heard Jambi played on the radio here.

Vicari0us
07-18-2006, 11:50 PM
The pot is number two on the top 30 songs on Vancouvers Cfox at the moment

The Corinthian
07-21-2006, 12:13 AM
I keep the radio on the whole time I'm at work on the off chance they'll play vicarious instead of the usual crap, and I was amazed when I heard the pot start playing. I talked to the other guy at my work who is a tool fan, and he said he heard the radio play it before as well. So, that's another report.

Also the pot makes the most sense as the next single. It's length is more radio friendly than other songs on the album and the lyrics would appeal to the radio crowd (theyd assume its all about marijuana).

edit: well i heard the pot on the radio again today and they cut out the awesome bass part from the bridge and all I have to say is boo to the radio. may it burn forever.

Hetfield823
07-21-2006, 05:55 AM
There will be 3 singles off the 10,00 Days album.

-Vicarious (duh)
-The Pot
-Right In Two

If you dont believe me then just wait.

mrhubof
07-22-2006, 10:24 AM
our radio station played the pot for the first time this friday...

HateSolstice
07-22-2006, 05:20 PM
I'll never understand why some people think each song a band puts out has to sound identical to every thing else they ahve released.

anaphoria
07-26-2006, 05:56 AM
The Pot came out here as a single a couple of weeks ago in Sacramento. I questioned it being the next single the first time i heard it on the radio, but its getting regular play on both modern rock stations soust assume its the new single. I just think its odd that Tool never put out anything official having to do with it. Oh well. The Pot is one of my favorite songs off the album purely based on the way it sounds, not having to do with anything technically amazing or epic, such as 10000 Days. I predicted it would be the next single along with a lot of other people and I think its the best cantidate for a single off the album. I hated vicarious the first time I heard it, but loved The Pot. I really don't understand why you may not think its a good representation of this album.

mr. nikki jensen
07-26-2006, 07:49 AM

-Vicarious (duh)
-The Pot
-Right In Two

i hoped for right in two to be the next single. it has much more potential IMO

Hetfield823
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I dont understand how people are bitching about how "it doesnt sound like Tool." Is it that hard to deal with an intro that doesnt sound exactly like the "old Tool." Some of you bitch about how Tool changed their sound alittle bit, then go into the Live section of the forum and bitch some more about how they won't CHANGE the setlist. Make up your damn minds. They arn't fuckin Gods and make every song sound like "Lateralus"

EulogyCallinMe
07-28-2006, 11:36 AM

-Vicarious (duh)
-The Pot
-Right In Two

why would tool put out 3 singles off this particular album as opposed to the rest? im not saying that i dont believe you and you are a liar but, i dont believe you. i just want to know why exactly do you feel this way. do you know something we dont?

and back on the real topic, i dont mind at all that tool is experimenting with their sound. it has to happen at some point or the music will become stale and stagnant (ie cky's latest album) i dont particularly like what they did with the pot so it would dissapoint me to hear it as the new single, and its mainly the vibe that it gives off. it just rubs me the wrong way and i dont really like adams riff (and i love that bastards riffs) or justins bass line for the song, i just kind of find them irritating.
if i had my way id pick jambi, and i would do so because of the large amount of bad-ass-ness on everyones part in that song. right in two would be probably easier on peoples ears and hearts and it would be easier to digest. mos def a good song but i like how at the end of the album its like a surprise, i really wasnt expecting to hear a song like that after the way the rest of the album treats the listener, so thats the only reason i wouldnt want that as a single. the pot just has a weird rhythm about it that almost comes off as a joke, especially with the intro being kind of womanly. i dunno i kind of think it would be detrimental to their kind of "hidden in the shadows" public persona they have, i mean im sure they dont really care how they are perceived by the public but... well thats just my opinion

Cid
07-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I dont understand how people are bitching about how "it doesnt sound like Tool." Is it that hard to deal with an intro that doesnt sound exactly like the "old Tool." Some of you bitch about how Tool changed their sound alittle bit, then go into the Live section of the forum and bitch some more about how they won't CHANGE the setlist. Make up your damn minds. They arn't fuckin Gods and make every song sound like "Lateralus"

i don't want it to sound like "tool" in a sense that it sounds like one of their old songs, but i'd like a song that sounds GOOD! this song is a horrible sounding piece of crap. it sounds like every other radio band out there, aside from justin's bass playing. take that out and it's a generic radio rock song. worst tool song ever.

Brian_S
07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Do the people who say "10,000 Days" doesn't sound like Tool think "Opiate" sounds like "Lateralus"? Does "Aenima" sound like "Undertow"? All Tool albums sound different. It's an evolving sound. If every Tool song was like Schism that would be boring. I hate bands who don't change their sound at all.

Cid
07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Do the people who say "10,000 Days" doesn't sound like Tool think "Opiate" sounds like "Lateralus"? Does "Aenima" sound like "Undertow"? All Tool albums sound different. It's an evolving sound. If every Tool song was like Schism that would be boring. I hate bands who don't change their sound at all.

i love change, and i don't think this album sounds exactly like anything tool has done before. however, the pot sounds like a song that a million other bands could make. almost every other tool song i wouldn't even dare say that.

Terry21
07-28-2006, 05:58 PM
i love change, and i don't think this album sounds exactly like anything tool has done before. however, the pot sounds like a song that a million other bands could make. almost every other tool song i wouldn't even dare say that.

I hate if people think like that about that. It's like raping music. I think music is rather fresh if you do something that you like, as if you force yourself to always create something new.

drumtool
07-31-2006, 05:17 AM

oh thats right their are a million drummers out there that could play that? like danny. ????

btw this album is as good as any tool album yet..

TOOLEK
07-31-2006, 07:01 AM
you'll never hear Wings as a single. It's way too long, and nowhere near 'commercial' sounding enough.
It looks like wings/10000 days will be a third single, look at the last newsletter

slicknickshady
08-05-2006, 10:19 PM
It's getting a ton of radioplay. It'a not even funny and I love the fact it is.

Modern

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Details.asp?sngcde=TOOLP5&format=R5M&mode=leader

Modern Chart

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r5M

Active

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Details.asp?sngcde=TOOLP5&format=R2M&mode=leader

Active Chart

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r2M

Alternitive

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Details.asp?sngcde=TOOLP5++&format=R3M

Alternitive Chart

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/AllAccess/Charts.asp?format=r3M

Hetfield823
08-31-2006, 07:46 AM
The Pot jumped from #23 to #15 on the mainstream rock singles chart. (Vicarious dropped from #13 to #18).

M.Luther
09-01-2006, 05:53 PM
The Pot jumped from #23 to #15 on the mainstream rock singles chart. (Vicarious dropped from #13 to #18).

even sadder days are a head i see.