PDA

View Full Version : Favorite line off Reflection

Janos
06-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Mine is

"and we will come to find
that we are all on mind"

It stuck on my head since my first listen of the song. And it still does. It served me as a starting point to understand the song. I just love it.

rembrandt_q_einstein
06-06-2006, 01:18 AM
"the moon tells me a secret... my confidant"

inSin
06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
that we are all on mind"

agreed

eulogy09
06-06-2006, 12:51 PM
before we piiiiiiiiiiiine away

iscaryoth
06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
"must crucify the ego" got stuck inside mine

piston390
06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
"and you will come to find that are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable"

wearethestories
06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
so let the light touch you
and let the words spill through
and let them pass right through
bringing our hope and reason

BlanketEffect
06-15-2006, 09:16 PM

Ant
06-17-2006, 04:55 AM
And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping.

When the music goes quiet and that line hits. Hairs stand up every time.

Also the guitar effect at the end of the word confidant.

Fucking incredible song.

BlanketEffect
06-22-2006, 08:05 PM
"the moon tells me a secret... my confidant"

It's 'her' confidant, but hey, whatever works for you ;)

Lassus
06-29-2006, 02:37 PM
without her we are mindless satellites "she" being the the great void we must all return to. What connects and seperates us all in equal measures. Although we are all one mind sums up an album that has changed my life. No kidding.

AMF
06-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Mine is

that we are all on mind"

It stuck on my head since my first listen of the song. And it still does. It served me as a starting point to understand the song. I just love it.

Hell yes.

BlanketEffect
06-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Although we are all one mind sums up an album that has changed my life. No kidding.

Amen to that. A-fucking-men

Phudson
07-01-2006, 02:11 PM
I think it's that last "Before we pine away". It's just the way Danny slows the beat right down and it signals the end of (imo) the best song on Lateralus. But I suppose from a spiritual point of view it's got to be the "And you will come to find..." bit. Truly uplifting.

Anthony2006
07-02-2006, 05:41 PM
As full and bright as I am,
this light is not my own.
A million light sources.
pass over me.

Although the whole song after 'In my darkest hour' is pretty much awesome, that line really got me thinking and I got the message. 'Crucify the Ego' is probably my second favorite line.

2-Chaos-2
07-03-2006, 01:11 AM
And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't want to be down here soothing my narcissism- i love that part
and i agree with most of u with the
"And you will come to find that we are all one mind" line
This song is just unbelievably amazing...

TheJuiceOfSatan
07-03-2006, 04:57 PM
The part that really gives me that whole "HOLY SHIT............" moment is the must crucify the ego before its far too late, pretty much saying to me you must sacrifice certain aspects of who you are to attain contentment with oneself and surroundings.

I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole,
Defeated, I concede and
Move closer
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
How pitiful

It's calling me...

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping
The moon tells me a secret - my confidant
As full and bright as I am
This light is not my own and
A million light reflections pass over me

Its source is bright and endless
She resuscitates the hopeless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting

Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.

whenever i listen to it, i get this vision of a broken down man, maynard, myself, or some archetype-like figure laying on the ground, staring into a pool of water, staring at his own reflection. The water ripples his face, distorts it. then the words of this song are his thoughts and the events that take place in this setting. To those that let this song touch their soul, it is a very powerful and important piece of art.

The beginning verse makes me think this person is wanting to fall into the pool of water, because this reflection of himself has lost all hope so hes going to fall into this reflection and give into everything.

CrownOfNegativity
07-14-2006, 01:00 AM

Lyrically, best Tool song imo.

AMF
07-15-2006, 10:27 PM
The part that really gives me that whole "HOLY SHIT............" moment is the must crucify the ego before its far too late, pretty much saying to me you must sacrifice certain aspects of who you are to attain contentment with oneself and surroundings.

I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole,
Defeated, I concede and
Move closer
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
How pitiful

It's calling me...

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping
The moon tells me a secret - my confidant
This light is not my own and

Before I pine away.

Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.

whenever i listen to it, i get this vision of a broken down man, maynard, myself, or some archetype-like figure laying on the ground, staring into a pool of water, staring at his own reflection. The water ripples his face, distorts it. then the words of this song are his thoughts and the events that take place in this setting. To those that let this song touch their soul, it is a very powerful and important piece of art.

The beginning verse makes me think this person is wanting to fall into the pool of water, because this reflection of himself has lost all hope so hes going to fall into this reflection and give into everything.

I get a 'water' like visual from this song as well.

bionic_anchovy
07-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Mine is

that we are all on mind"

'Capable of all that's
Imagined and all conceivable'

That whole stanza (or whatever you call it) is awesome. So uplifting I find.

virgil595
07-27-2006, 11:54 AM
when i listen to this song, i'm immediately hit with the image of a rainstorm. its as if the very beginning of the song is the preamble to the storm, with only light raindrops falling at first. as the song goes on, the tone shifts, become more violent and full, representing thunder and lightening. next time you listen, just try and imagine a rainstorm on the water, it works very well

martyr_02
07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Way to many good lyrics to pick just one, but here's a few of my favs.

I may find peace within the emptiness, how pitiful.

bionic_anchovy
07-29-2006, 04:27 AM
without her we are mindless satellites "she" being the the great void we must all return to. What connects and seperates us all in equal measures. Although we are all one mind sums up an album that has changed my life. No kidding.

Kali.

SunBurN
08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Look at my sig and I must include:

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping.
The moon tells me a secret. My confidant.
As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own
It's source is bright and endless.
Without her we are lifeless satellites dreaming dreams.
Don't want to be down here soothing my narcissism

All I can say is amazing!

PhillyBoyTempe
08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late...and leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical...and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable".

-Since I first heard this song I have been using this quote in so many aspects of life. Absolutley brilliant.

el_boss
08-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Before I pine away.

spacemonkeyadb
08-08-2006, 06:53 AM
"The moon tells me a secret - my confidant
This light is not my own"

Even disregarding the music for this song, the lyrics by themselves are pure poetry.

BlanketEffect
08-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Why do people keep posting 'My confidant'?

A) It SOUNDS like 'her'

B) If she is telling HIM the secret, that makes him HER confidant...

Just thought I'd mention this... wouldn't want someone's favorite line to not even be a line in the song and all.

spacemonkeyadb
08-09-2006, 05:58 AM
^ Coz I just cut & pasted from TDN's official lyrics page.

Don't have the CD handy to check for sound, but maybe the relationship wasn't just one way. Maybe he had secrets to tell the moon too :)

BlanketEffect
08-09-2006, 08:51 PM
You mean you don't have the lyrics committed to memory? *gasp*

ArizonaBay
09-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Arkham Asylum
09-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Hands down (in my opinion), the best Tool song in every aspect, musically, vocally, lyrically, spiritually, and anything else. I would like a little clarification on the last verse though: specifically, is it "and let LOVE pass right through" because it almost sounds like it.

Arkham Asylum
09-30-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm also tempted to say the last verse is the best lyrical part, but the "As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own..." line is brilliant.

vedran
09-30-2006, 08:57 AM
People are saying it's "my confidant" because that's the lyric. It's pronounced very faintly, though personally I can hear the y in my, though to say that either "her" or "my" can be heard clearly would be lying, it could honestly be anything, he just mumbles it. It makes sense in the context that the narrator qouting the moon starts just with that line. Think of the Moon adressing the narrator.
And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping, the Moon tells me a secret; "My confidant, as full and bright as I am, this light is not my own.....

BlanketEffect
10-02-2006, 09:26 PM
It makes sense in the context that the narrator qouting the moon starts just with that line. Think of the Moon adressing the narrator.
And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping, the Moon tells me a secret; "My confidant, as full and bright as I am, this light is not my own.....

I will probably always think he says "her" simply because that's what I've always heard and I've been listening to it for a long, long time (not that you or anyone else haven't been) but, that's just what I hear. Can't hear "my" in the slightest, even with headphones on and volume blasting.

But, the point of view positted above is one of the better that I've heard for the case.

Solaris
10-03-2006, 03:54 AM
"Defeated I concede and move closer. I may find comfort here. I may find peace within the emptyness - how pityful"

That's pure poetry.

Phorty
10-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Think of the Moon adressing the narrator.

Never thought of it that way, it adds more dimension to the song, thanks.

ktdude
10-04-2006, 02:07 AM
I can't choose just one line from this song, it's absolute poetry and I adore every second of it. Totally beautiful...

CrucifyTheEgo
10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
My favorite line out of all Tool songs is "crucify the ego, before its far too late"

To me its saying kill your pride, which I think a lot of people need to do. Few things piss me off more than a cocky, pretensious ass.

After hearing this song, those were the words I chose to live by.

I also love the long instrumental part leading up the end, its great to listen to very loud.

tuck
10-09-2006, 11:22 AM
People are saying it's "my confidant" because that's the lyric. It's pronounced very faintly, though personally I can hear the y in my, though to say that either "her" or "my" can be heard clearly would be lying, it could honestly be anything, he just mumbles it. It makes sense in the context that the narrator qouting the moon starts just with that line. Think of the Moon adressing the narrator.

its funny that as many times as I have listened to this song (one of my favorite tool songs) I had never thought of it as the Moon telling Maynard what it's (the moon's) secret was. I had always heard it as the Moon telling maynard that he was full and bright, this light was not Maynard's own. I dont know why but it is much more powerful to think of Moon telling Maynard why it was full and bright. Makes total sense. It seems so obvious now.........good stuff.

BlanketEffect
10-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Yup, as bright as the moon is, the light that makes it so does not come from the moon. The light's source is endless and enlivens the hopeless.
Without the light, the moon is (and all of us are) a lifeless satellite, drifting through the emptiness.

bgparanoid
10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
How pitiful.

BlanketEffect
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Indeed. Be thankful for the light.

amenorakumo
10-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Confidant : A character in a drama or fiction, such as a trusted friend or servant, who serves as a device for revealing the inner thoughts or intentions of a main character.

This is very much in line with what I was thinking, and I was looking it up because I had always heard "my confidant" -- and still, just did -- but this definition was one I wasn't familiar with, thought I'd post it. Though the other definition would coincide with "her confidant", I just personally don't hear it. O well

fav lines "Before I pine away"; it's just so personal to me and such a small phrase charged with immense energy .. But I also like "Defeated I, concede and".... especially the guitar effect that goes perfectly with "defeated I" mmmm such integrity

This song is an excellent showcase of the double meanings maynard weaves.
"Lifeless satellites,... driiifting" has to be up there on the fav lines as well.

I take this line to mean the moon is a lifeless satellite of the earth, reflecting from the sun. But also, as said before, we're lifeless satellites it seems like without the "void" or whatever you want to call it; and our personalities are just reflections of other peoples light as well, which isn't even theirs. So we're all just walking reflectors of whatever light touches our core

BlanketEffect
10-12-2006, 07:20 PM
I think by 'lifeless satellites' he was referring to us without God. I don't mean God in the Christian sense, I mean it in the solely spiritual sense. Without the spirit/soul - without the light - none of us are anything, we're just dead masses floating through the cosmos.

Thanks to the light, we have something to reflect back. - ergo, "Reflection"

Prison Sex
10-13-2006, 02:20 PM
"Its source is bright and endless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting"

and

"Before we pine away..."

realitysassasin
11-02-2006, 05:30 PM
let the word spill through,
just them pass right through,
bringing out our hope and reason.

believe whatever you need to. any religion it doesnt matter because its all the same shit. universal energy, a swirling mass of particles so beyond comprehension the only way you could possibly accept its existence is through faith. as long as you keep the ideals and try to influence that universal energy in a positive direction youll be doin as wel as anyone can. universal energy man thats what its all about. whatever you wanna call it, god, the great spirit, guardian angels, whatever. its out there and it probably isnt even aware of us but we still gotta help it because without her we are lifeless sattelites dreaming.

ajp1982
11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I get a 'water' like visual from this song as well.

Its funny you should mention that. When i saw it being played on the Lateralus tour, the crowd was illuminated by these series of purple and dark blue lights which orbited the crowd. To me it seemed that the crowd was like an ocean or a body of water swelling up and down and round and round.

good call mate.

A.

Watching and mentioning
11-09-2006, 10:13 PM
What originally got me into this song wasn't lyrical. It actually was the guitar riff at the very end, right before triad. I remember hearing it live, and they looped it for about 5 minutes while they took a breather. Needless to say, I started getting acquainted with the song and it's many wonderful lyrics.

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late, and leave behind this place, so negative and blind and cynical

Also this is one of those songs for me that just makes me feel better. The first verse really helps me get connected with it when I'm feeling down, and then it just goes uphill from there, reminding me that things will work out.

As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own and, a million light reflections, pass over me. It's source is bright and endless, she resuscitates the hopeless, without her we are lifeless satellites, drifting.

Those lines alone, just seem to have so much power in them. I dunno, hell the entire song is amazing, I guess it is kinda hard to pick just one line.....

mr. nikki jensen
11-10-2006, 08:34 AM
As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own and, a million light reflections, pass over me. It's source is bright and endless, she resuscitates the hopeless, without her we are lifeless satellites, drifting.

o00mega00
11-10-2006, 03:40 PM
I remember on the Lateralus tour....standing in the crowd, emersed in a sea of people towards the end of the show, hot sweaty and filled with the emotion and energy of everyone around me, and obviously the energy coming off the stage, when D,R,T played. It was a moment of pure escapism. The world and its material bonds seemed to fly away from us and I experienced a pure, truely happy feeling. It seeped inside me like I was a sponge in water, and felt cleansing and fresh. Clear and open was the thought and intention of everyone there in that space. It moved me, and stuck with me for a very long time, to this day... That is when I really began to respect this song for the raw power it conveyed, and gave me a new respect for the band and their pure artistic ability.

BlanketEffect
11-10-2006, 04:15 PM
What originally got me into this song wasn't lyrical. It actually was the guitar riff at the very end, right before triad. I remember hearing it live, and they looped it for about 5 minutes while they took a breather. Needless to say, I started getting acquainted with the song and it's many wonderful lyrics.

The first and only Tool concert I've been to was for the Lateralus tour in October of 2001 and Adam played the guitar riff you're talking about (no loop) on stage while the rest of the band took a breather... except he played it for at least fifteen minutes, it was crazy... he played it a lot more slowly and deliberately and so at the end of each final note of the riff you were like, "is this is? is it over now??"

ajp1982
11-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Adam played the guitar riff you're talking about (no loop) on stage while the rest of the band took a breather... except he played it for at least fifteen minutes, it was crazy... he played it a lot more slowly and deliberately and so at the end of each final note of the riff you were like, "is this is? is it over now??"

He did that when Tool played in Canberra in 2002 too...

Watching and mentioning
11-11-2006, 01:37 AM
The first and only Tool concert I've been to was for the Lateralus tour in October of 2001 and Adam played the guitar riff you're talking about (no loop) on stage while the rest of the band took a breather... except he played it for at least fifteen minutes, it was crazy... he played it a lot more slowly and deliberately and so at the end of each final note of the riff you were like, "is this is? is it over now??"

That's what I'm describing. I guess I wasn't looking up on stage to realize, I was still taking in what I had just experienced, and man was it wonderful.

iAMtheMA!
11-11-2006, 08:46 PM
i have come curiously close to the end
down beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole
defeated i concede and move closer i may find comfort
here i may find peace within the emptiness how pitiful

and it's calling me

and in my darkest moment fetal and weeping
the moon tells me a secret
my confidant as full and bright as i am this light is not my own
and a million light reflections pass over me

its source is bright and endless
she resuscitates the hopeless
without her we are lifeless satellites
drifting

and as i pull my head out i am without one doubt
don't wanna be down here soothing my narcissism
i must crucify the ego before it's far too late
i pray the light lifts me out

before i pine away

so crucify the ego before it's far too late
to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical
and you will come to find that we are all one mind
and capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
just let the light touch you to let the word spill through
and let them pass right through bringing out our hope and reason

before we pine away

Ænima46*
12-07-2006, 09:08 PM
"Crucify the ego before it's far too late"

One of my favorite lyrics of all time.

Harrymanfeet
12-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I always feel as if I'm in a dark pool when I hear this song "The Moon Tells Me A Secret" -shivers- that line makes my skin crawl...

rintoot
12-09-2006, 05:16 PM
so crucify the ego before it's far too late
to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical
and you will come to find that we are all one mind
and capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable

SMEPman
12-17-2006, 09:38 PM
"As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own
It's source is bright and endless."

^^ This is the entire essence of the song. Pine away....or shed your ego and realize the creative source....your light....for you are only a reflection of Him! To me this is about what can be achieved once you are in tune with Creative Intelligence. IT is bright and endless...full of love....unconditional.....no matter how bright we are, there is still more!!

Words like this are usually buried in Theosophy teachings or texts....not rock songs.

PriceisRight
12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
i don't have a favorite line from this song...but i do have to say that when the song crescendos at the end and ends with a lone guitar fading out...i get chills