PDA

View Full Version : muddy waters....

Montague
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
they DID say this would be the blues album, right?

http://images.art.com/images/-/The-Blues---Muddy-Waters-Poster-C10007168.jpeg

Kelly
06-04-2006, 11:10 PM
amazing

HelenA
06-17-2006, 04:31 PM
This is such an interesting thought - not that I am saying that the song is ABOUT McKinley Morganfield (Muddy Waters) but there are some very nice little connections.

1. Despite my iTunes listing 10,000 days as "Metal" I think it is really a blues album (don't yell at me! - its just an opinion). Songs like "Right in Two" and both Wings songs are especially bluesy and none of the songs on 10,000 days seem like metal to me (although my daughter thinks I am just in denial).

2. The Mississippi Delta, which gave Muddy Waters his nickname, has been one of the sources of Blues, not due to the river, of course, but a whole mix of social and environmental factors.

3. Those same factors resulted in the tragedy that is now known as Cylcone Katrina, where the whole world looked on in dismay at the hypocritical and disasterous way your government dealt (or failed to deal) with the crisis. And the added idea that New Orleans is in a pot-shaped geological landscape.

4. So the reference to "eyehole deep in muddy waters" could be a nod to all these things: Muddy Waters, blues, the Delta, Katrina and just the shitty mess that ensued from Katrina.

But the next line doesn't fit at all!!!! ('You practically raised the dead'). So I am probably completely wrong. Maybe it IS about his mother after all!

Anyway I really like the idea that is a blues album - actually I think I will go and change my iTunes classification - what would it know anyway?