PDA

View Full Version : Jambi = Iambic meter?

Perseensilmä
06-04-2006, 11:23 AM
So, I was reading a book about poetic metres (in Finnish) and I don´t know a fuck about English stressed syllables and so on, how do you qualify one as a stressed syllable etc...

But yeah, reading this book I noticed a familiar word, jambi. It´s a meter used alot in Finnish poetry and I am pretty sure that there is not a direct equivalent for that in English. But I did a search on English poetry and found that there´s a meter called Iambic (pentameter). As I do not know that much about English stressed syllables, I can´t be sure if this is a "direct" equivalent or even close. Anyway, there´s a certain jambic meter that´s used alot (in older) Finnish poetry. Something like this:

stressed syllables are marked as +

0+0+0+0
0+0+0+
0+0+0+0
0+0+0+

Obviously Jambi doesn´t follow this typical jambi-form.

But anyway, I am pretty sure there´s a couple of poets in here who could answer me this. Does the lyrics in this song fit in the jambic (iambic)-meter:

0+0+0+0?

Perseensilmä
06-04-2006, 11:32 AM
0s are of course unstressed syllables.

Perseensilmä
06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Anyone?

T-13h
06-04-2006, 11:57 AM
The "...might as well be gone." part is definitely iambic. Iambic pentameter would be:

0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 +

weesper
06-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Your contribution is acknowledged.

the english equivalent you would be referring to may be found at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamb

T-13h
06-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Your contribution is acknowledged.

the english equivalent you would be referring to may be found at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamb

Huh. so what's the opposite of Iambic, like when it goes stressed | unstresed?

swampyfool
06-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I was trying to think of a poem (or some sort of lyrical expression) that would fit the jambic structure posited in the original post, and the best I could come up with is the traditional folk song . . .

my HAT, it HAS three CORners,
three CORners HAVE my HAT
and HAD it NOT three CORners
it WOULD not BE my HAT

(stressed syllables in CAPS)

I realize that the word "CORners" in lines one and three may be a bit of a stretch, but I think this is jambic. Is it?

I'm afraid, however, that I see no relevance to the song (and I checked the lyrics for comparison, just to be sure). Interesting, though.

5th Eye
06-04-2006, 01:33 PM
The "...might as well be gone." part is definitely iambic. Iambic pentameter would be:

0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 +Of course it could be. All those words are one syllable. The stress can be any way you want.

Oh, and the opposite of an iamb (unstressed/stressed) is a trochee (stressed/unstressed).

Jambi is not in iambic anything.

swampyfool
06-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Huh. so what's the opposite of Iambic, like when it goes stressed | unstresed?
I was gonna say it was an inverted iambic, and I'm not wrong . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_%28prosody%29

. . . but this guy is probably more right.

Oh, and the opposite of an iamb (unstressed/stressed) is a trochee (stressed/unstressed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trochee

Stumble
06-04-2006, 02:36 PM
just a little note. Iambic pentameter is the style of shakespeare. as has been stated it goes BA-dum- BA-dum BA-dum. Could Maynard be reading Finnish translations of shakespeare??

Perseensilmä
06-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I was thinking of it more like this, but I don´t know if the stressed/unstressed syllables match, because I don´t know when a syllable is stressed or unstressed (except articles are unstressed, aren´t they?).

0____+___0___+____0___+___0
Here from the king's mountain view

0_____+___0__+___0____+___0
Here from the wild dream come true

0_____+_0_+__0_+_0
Feast like a sultan, I do

0___+____0__+__0____+___0
On treasures and flesh never few

Perseensilmä
06-04-2006, 02:55 PM
just a little note. Iambic pentameter is the style of shakespeare. as has been stated it goes BA-dum- BA-dum BA-dum. Could Maynard be reading Finnish translations of shakespeare??

I am pretty sure that he couldn´t read them. You know, Finnish isn´t an easy language. It´s not always as hard as in the following example, but the following example has a real meaning and it could be a part of a conversation:

Person 1:"Kokoa koko kokko!"

Person 2:"Koko kokkoko?"

Person 3:"Koko kokko!"

How about a palindrome?
Ällötyttävät tykyttävät tikit tikittävät tykyttävät tytöllä!

Stumble
06-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I have been conversing with Perseensilmä privately about this and i thought i'd fill the rest in as well. I am a Theatre Major and have preformed shakespeare for a while now. The song itself doesn't sit in any poetic device to my particular knowledge. At times Maynard jumps into iambic but it may just be coincidence, such as " divIDED i'm WITHering AWay" ( and upon further listen the intro as stated) but it doesn't stick enough to constitute naming your song after it in my opinion.

Perseensilmä
06-05-2006, 05:26 AM
So, I listened to this a little more and it seems that the verses of this song are indeed in Iambic (Jambic) meter. In some lines there´s an extra syllable in the beginning, but the rest of the line seems to follow the meter, or something, I don´t know. So, is it like in those lines where there´s a
couple of extra syllables it´s almost in anapestic meter?

Anyway, the last syllable always lacks it´s stressed "counterpart". Just like in the first and thrid lines of the (older) typical Finnish Jambi-poetry example that I showed you:

0+0+0+0
0+0+0+
0+0+0+0
0+0+0+

Jambi, the song looks something like this, sometimes and extra unstressed syllable is added to the beginning of the line, or somewhere:
0+0+0+0
0+0+0+0
0+0+0+0
0+0+0+0

Yeah, the Jambi (as we call it) -meter has been borrowed from Germanic languages and indeed is the Finnish form of Iamb. In Germany it´s called Jambus.

Anyway, could someone confirm if it actually does follow the stressed/unstressed syllables?
0____+___0____+____0___+___0
0_____+___0___+__0____+____0
0_____+__0_+_0__+_0
(0)_0____+___0___+__0__+__0

(0)__0_+_0___+__0__+__0
The devil and his had me down

(0)_0___+___0___+__0___+___0
In love with the dark side I've found
0_+_0__+__0___+___0
Dabblin' all the way down
0__+__0__+___0___+___0
Up to my neck soon to drown.
0___+____0_____+___0__+__0
But you changed that all for me
0__+__0__+___0____+___0
Lifted me up, turned me round

??????????
Pray like a martyr dusk to dawn
??????????
Beg like a hooker all night long
0_____+__0__?????????
Shout to the devil with my song
0____+___0__+__0__+_0__?__?
And got what I wanted all along

How does that sound? Jambi?

MrMcPheezy
06-05-2006, 05:35 AM
No, it's not in iambic pentameter. All you're doing is counting the number of syllables and then placing the accents where you want them.

"Here from the king's mountain view"

accented syllables = here, king's, mount, view

unaccented syllables = from, the, ain

so, you get = +00++0+

Sorry. I'll explain more if you'd like, but no, the lyrics to this song are not in iambic pentameter. At least not that part.

MrMcPheezy
06-05-2006, 05:38 AM
I was thinking of it more like this, but I don´t know if the stressed/unstressed syllables match, because I don´t know when a syllable is stressed or unstressed (except articles are unstressed, aren´t they?).

0____+___0___+____0___+___0

0_____+___0__+___0____+___0

0_____+_0_+__0_+_0

0___+____0__+__0____+___0

There's really not much of a formula for knowing what syllables are stressed and what syllables are unstressed. You just have to know.

Your guess is clearly wrong, even just from looking at the first line. You accented the second syllable in "mountain", when actually the first syllable gets the accent. If you think about the way the word is said, it's MOUNtain, not mounTAIN.

MrMcPheezy
06-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Of course it could be. All those words are one syllable. The stress can be any way you want.

Not really:

"Might as well be gone".

The accents would be "well" and "gone".

"As" and "be" would be unaccented.

"Might" would be debatable.

Jambi is not in iambic anything.

Correct.

Perseensilmä
06-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Obviously it isn´t an iambic pentameter, more like a tetraameter or something.

And I was asking if it actually follows the "jambi"-pattern or is it just that there´s an equal number of syllables. I don´t know which syllables are stressed and unstressed and how do you qualify them, so I was asking for advice from Englsih speaking dudes. So, I was just asking if they´d happen to match or not.

Explain some more please, especially about the stressed and unstressed syllables. And forget about the pentameter.

MrMcPheezy
06-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Obviously it isn´t an iambic pentameter, more like a heptameter or something.

And I was asking if it actually follows the "jambi"-pattern or is it just that there´s an equal number of syllables. I don´t know which syllables are stressed and unstressed and how do you qualify them, so I was asking for advice from Englsih speaking dudes. So, I was just asking if they´d happen to match or not.

Explain some more please, especially about the stressed and unstressed syllables. And forget about the pentameter.

Well, this song does not use iambs enough to be said to be iambic.

Again, the only way to know what syllables are stressed is to know.

It's difficult to write songs in any meter because meter is determind how the words would be said, not sung. Once you throw in the accents given to different syllables by the rhythm of the singing you confuse everything. While singing, you can accent any word or syllable that you like, but when attempting to find the meter of a line, you must look at the words as they would normally be said.

You're way off here, basically.

Perseensilmä
06-05-2006, 06:08 AM
You're way off here, basically.

Haha. No problem. I just noticed a familiar word, counted the syllables and wanted to ask if it´s "jambic".

Terry21
06-10-2006, 07:36 AM
I also thought of this, while reading about Iambs (Jambi in German :P) and its meaning about Yin and Yang.

Perseensilmä
06-10-2006, 05:02 PM
I thought it was Jambus in German? Anyway, it´s just the number of syllables, nothing more. I don´t know, maybe he stresses the syllables in jambi form?

HolyGift
06-10-2006, 09:45 PM
First and foremost, great post. There is a poem written in Iambic Pentameter that reminds me of Jambi (and so Reflection also). It is Sonnet XXIX by Shakespeare. It reads as follows:

1. When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
2. I all alone beweep my outcast state,
3. And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
4. And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
5. Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
6. Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
7. Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
8. With what I most enjoy contented least;
9. Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
10. Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
11. Like to the lark at break of day arising
12. From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
13. For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
14. That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Cheers.

NicParabola
06-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Iambs (Jambi in German :P)

Hope you mean "Jamben", cause that's the correct plural form of "Jambus". :P But I'm not sure if we use that form or just say the metre is a iamb.

Anyway, I think he doesn't sing in a special metre but it sounds kinda strange because he's always stressing the last syllable in a verse (PRAYED like a MARtyr DUSK to DAWN). Maybe he does it because of the odd rhythm of the song itself.

Terry21
06-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Well aight.

deuceman
06-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Meanwhile, back in the real world....

StereoScopicLenses
06-11-2006, 08:26 AM
First and foremost, great post. There is a poem written in Iambic Pentameter that reminds me of Jambi (and so Reflection also). It is Sonnet XXIX by Shakespeare. It reads as follows:

1. When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
2. I all alone beweep my outcast state,
3. And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
4. And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
5. Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
6. Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
7. Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
8. With what I most enjoy contented least;
9. Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
10. Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
11. Like to the lark at break of day arising
12. From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
13. For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
14. That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Cheers.

Yes that reminds me of Jambi too. What about sonnet XXIII? since Viginti Tres is on the album.

StereoScopicLenses
06-11-2006, 08:28 AM
I was trying to think of a poem (or some sort of lyrical expression) that would fit the jambic structure posited in the original post, and the best I could come up with is the traditional folk song . . .

my HAT, it HAS three CORners,
three CORners HAVE my HAT
and HAD it NOT three CORners
it WOULD not BE my HAT

(stressed syllables in CAPS)

I realize that the word "CORners" in lines one and three may be a bit of a stretch, but I think this is jambic. Is it?

I'm afraid, however, that I see no relevance to the song (and I checked the lyrics for comparison, just to be sure). Interesting, though.

I believe that folk song would fit Jambic structure. But none of my hats have 3 corners.

5th Eye
06-11-2006, 08:29 AM
3. And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,Gross, he used the word "heaven" as one syllable. I hate that.

NicParabola
06-23-2006, 02:35 AM
(Stressed syllables in CAPS)

1. STANZA:

1: HERE from the KING's mounTAIN VIEW
2: HERE from the WILD dream COME TRUE
3: FEAST like a SULtan I DO
4: On TREAsures and FLESH neVER FEW

2. STANZA:

1: PRAYED like a MARtyr DUSK to DAWN (+00 +0 +0+)
2: BEGGED like a HOOKer all NIGHT LONG
3: TEMPted the DEvil with MY SONG
4: And GOT what I WANted ALL aLONG (0+00 +0 +0+)

So maybe the meter goes like this: (0 is unstressed, + is stressed)
(0)+00 +0[0] ++

The one in the () bracket gets added at the end of the stanzas. The one in [] brackets gets added in the second stanza, whereas the first and fourth verse thereof are somehow irregular.

But anyway hope you understand what I'm trying to say :)

Terry21
06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I see some kind of scheme here.

NicParabola
07-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Yes that really is a scheme, and that's because of the irregular metrum of the song itself.

Does anyone know the time signature for Jambi? It seems kinda odd, like 13/4 or something..

5th Eye
07-16-2006, 11:00 AM
9/8

Radius
07-16-2006, 01:57 PM
You guys....it's not about the SINGING, or the LYRICS.....if his whole Iambic/Jambi theory is correct, it would make sense with the MUSIC, the GUITAR RIFF....perfectly actually.
Think about the main guitar riff to the song....
nana-nana-nana (pause)
nana-nana-nana-nana (pause)
nana-nana-nana (pause)
nana-nana-nana-nana (pause)

Which looks a lot like the D's used in the first example...
The riff goes back and forth from 4, then 5 beats.....4, then 5.
Which makes full measures of 9....which is why danny can come in with the bass drum at the beginning, and hit steady beats every third beat, three fits neatly into nine.

Stop focusing on the lyrics, the singing has nothing to do with the iambic/jambi concept.
Good find, Perseensilma!

MrMcPheezy
07-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Ok...the opening riff is:

+--+-+-+-
+--+-+-+-

(+ = accented note; - = unaccented note)

Not a single iamb in the whole riff. Do you know what you're talking about?

erudianart
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
the opposite of iambic is trochaic...
- (unstressed) ` (stressed)

the scansion for an iamb would be

- `

for a trochee it would be

` -

spondee would be:

``

phyrric would be

--

an Iambic meter is usually pretty happy, trochaic meter is very serious, strong and booming. Phyrric feet are often used as a fulcrum to bond (or speed up) parts of a poem / song. Spondees are obviously booming, strong, lots of emotion and emphasis.

weesper
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Did he say fulcrum?

erudianart
07-26-2006, 01:17 PM
yup, it is impossible to compose a line (not talking about one word lines, or two syllable lines) of phyrric feet. Thus, phyrric feet (being soft) are often used to either speed up a part of line or are used to balance out two dominant feet.

thus say if you have

death (phyrric foot) life in a line, then the poet would be trying to balance out the stress of death and stress of life - which could mean many a thing.

Radius
07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Ok...the opening riff is:

+--+-+-+-
+--+-+-+-

(+ = accented note; - = unaccented note)

Not a single iamb in the whole riff. Do you know what you're talking about?

How is THAT supposed to be the opening riff? Both of your lines look exactly the same, yet the riff is composed of two measures OF DIFFERENT LENGTH.....once again, 4 and then 5.......4,5,4,5,4,5.

I think there may be something to this theory.

erudianart
07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
can anyone hook me up with the latest lyrics so i can write the scansion to it?

AMF
07-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Blair confirmed it in the last newsletter :D

DON IOTAE
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
^ whatever that means. What is an Iambic meter, anyways?

Terry21
07-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Blair is a fucking shithead, everything he answers is making fun of the people who ask the questions, believe me.

DON IOTAE
07-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Respect Blair's authorita!

weesper
07-29-2006, 03:24 AM
I want a poll over whether Blair is a fucking shithead

I vote yes

implandnoises
07-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Hows your bladder? Because I think someone has been taking the piss out of you...

DTrain
08-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Considering Blair confirmed that the song's title was named after the PeeWee Genie AND that it's related to Iamb... I'm pretty sure we can call "bullshit" and assume that we all really know nothing more than we did in June.

So keep the theories coming -- I hate how people flame a "bad" theory. Ideas get people thinking, and thinking people have more ideas. The more ideas we have, the greater odds of having the right idea we make.

We all should have learned how to brainstorm in grade 2 -- when did your teacher ever say "Oh, but be careful not to put BAD ideas down, they will ruin the brainstorm you little twirp".

DT

DON IOTAE
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Brainstorms are so chaotic...

LetGoLetgoLetGo
08-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Considering Blair confirmed that the song's title was named after the PeeWee Genie AND that it's related to Iamb... I'm pretty sure we can call "bullshit"

I dont think its bullshit at all. The Jambic meter he speaks of in the newsletter is correct. Jambi on PW's Playhouse only came out when someone said the word "wish". I dont see that as coincidental. Unless you are banking all your $$ on the Jambi foriegn land theory.

By the way, Blair is the man. He writes shit that takes 5 years to understand, he is hilarious, and he writes things that cause pointless arguments on internet forums. Just because he has fooled you (and all of us) at least once, doesnt make him a piece of shit. Put yourself in his shoes: Tool says, "Hey man, if you take care of our websites, we'll bring you all over the world and party with you like its 1999". Sheeeeeeeit. Id do it. And Id have a fun time fucking with the fans too. Just to get their peanut gears grinding.

DTrain
08-01-2006, 02:55 PM
I dont think its bullshit at all. The Jambic meter he speaks of in the newsletter is correct. Jambi on PW's Playhouse only came out when someone said the word "wish". I dont see that as coincidental. Unless you are banking all your $$ on the Jambi foriegn land theory.

Fair enough, they're not necessarily mutually exclusive -- but it does call things to question (when does somthing tool related NOT call things to question?).

I never banked any $$ on the foreign land theory... my girlfriend is from Indonesia... and she doesn't think so either *grin*. Then again... it could be a language barrier and she just doesn't understand the subtlety of the song. Lol.

By the way, Blair is the man. He writes shit that takes 5 years to understand, he is hilarious, and he writes things that cause pointless arguments on internet forums. Just because he has fooled you (and all of us) at least once, doesnt make him a piece of shit. Put yourself in his shoes: Tool says, "Hey man, if you take care of our websites, we'll bring you all over the world and party with you like its 1999". Sheeeeeeeit. Id do it. And Id have a fun time fucking with the fans too. Just to get their peanut gears grinding.

Damn right. But I still think he's a shithead. I'd be a shithead too if I had his power and had to filter through as much bullshit feedback as he must get :D

ObiJohnKenobi
08-02-2006, 12:17 PM
the best part of this whole discussion, as far as i'm concerned, is the truly unique thought put into it and the fact that someone is willing to take an interpretation that far.... whether the song is iambic or not, to me, is irrelevant. its the path that Perseensilmä (et al) has taken to get to where it all is now.

plus, finnish is likely the most musical of languages and holds its mythology within the songs of the Kalevela... a mythology that, in its true form, is at risk of being lost

etaipo
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
9/8

I thought it was in 9/4. And dont flame me or call me stupid but how can you tell the difference between like say 9/8 and 9/4. I know all about the top number. Just not the bottom one. I've read its what type of beat it is. But I dont understand that. Help?

henri_ds
08-02-2006, 12:39 PM
It depends sometimes on the riff (guitar or bass). If the whole riff revolves after 9 8th notes or 9 quarter notes. Jambi is therefore in 9/8, not 9/4, because one cycle of the riff is counted in 8th notes, not quarter notes.

Flame me if i'm wrong

MrMcPheezy
08-04-2006, 07:33 AM
How is THAT supposed to be the opening riff? Both of your lines look exactly the same, yet the riff is composed of two measures OF DIFFERENT LENGTH.....once again, 4 and then 5.......4,5,4,5,4,5.

I think there may be something to this theory.

No, the opening riff is in goddamn 9/8. Not a measure of 4 and then a measure of 5. Why the fuck would the compose it that way? That would be absolutlely retarded.

+ - - + - + - + -
1 2 3 1 2 1 2 1 2

That's 9 goddamn notes, because it's in 9/8. This really isn't difficult at all.

MrMcPheezy
08-04-2006, 07:35 AM
It depends sometimes on the riff (guitar or bass). If the whole riff revolves after 9 8th notes or 9 quarter notes. Jambi is therefore in 9/8, not 9/4, because one cycle of the riff is counted in 8th notes, not quarter notes.

Flame me if i'm wrong

This is right enough.

MrMcPheezy
08-04-2006, 07:36 AM

What did he confirm? That iambs are not used predominantly enough in this song to say, with any hope for accuracy, that it's iambic?

imatoolhed
08-04-2006, 08:02 AM
No, the opening riff is in goddamn 9/8. Not a measure of 4 and then a measure of 5. Why the fuck would the compose it that way? That would be absolutlely retarded.

+ - - + - + - + -
1 2 3 1 2 1 2 1 2

That's 9 goddamn notes, because it's in 9/8. This really isn't difficult at all.

wow, did someone have a crabby patty for breakfast

jambi FTR

MrMcPheezy
08-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Q: "So, it seems that at least the first verse of the song is in Iambic meter. It is used almost exactly a typical Finnish Iambic meter:

Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S-U
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S-U
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S

The first verse seems to follow this formula, except all of the lines end with an unstressed syllable and are equal in length. So, the funny side of the thing is that in Finnish Iamb is called "jambi". How intentional is this?"

A: Finally! Very intentional.

What the fuck?

The first verse:

"Here from the king's mountain view"
+ - - + + - +

"Here from the wild dream come true"
+ - - + + - +

Which is obviously not the pattern of "Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S-U" that the guy who sent the email mentioned. So, what the fuck is going on? Am I somehow scanning it incorrectly or wtf?

DON IOTAE
08-04-2006, 12:51 PM
^ maybe it's the instrumental intro he's talking about.

MrMcPheezy
08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
^ maybe it's the instrumental intro he's talking about.

Still not accurate. As I showed before, the opening guitar riff, if scanned as though it were poetry, would not contain any iambs at all. The riff during the first verse doesn't have any notes that seem to be accented. There are the berthas on counts two and four, but I don't see how those, even if considered accents, make it at all iambic. And this whole discussion requires us to scan guitar riffs as thought lines of poetry, which is clearly not going to work very well.

DON IOTAE
08-04-2006, 02:53 PM
^ what this thread needs is people that know what the fuck they're talking about!

I'm outta here

dedalus
08-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Maynard can't even spell (not knocking him for it or anything, but it's true) so I highly doubt that he is even considering the intricacies of scansion when writing his lyrics. It's more plausible that he just arranged the phrasing intuitively and then after the fact, someone who knows about this sort of stuff (perhaps Blair? I think he said he had a university degree once) mentioned to him that Jambi is in iambic pentameter. By the way, it's not remarkable by any means, as any set of lyrics can be broken down into some pattern or another and very often they will be in iambic pentameter.

MrMcPheezy
08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
It's more plausible that he just arranged the phrasing intuitively and then after the fact, someone who knows about this sort of stuff (perhaps Blair? I think he said he had a university degree once) mentioned to him that Jambi is in iambic pentameter.

What the fuck are you talking about? By what method of scansion are you finding jambi's lyrics to be in iambic pentameter?

MINDDEVIL
08-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I concur.. 'blair' missives smacks of a condesending tone, all the time.... to all those who are 'not in the know' ... I can only assume it would be the fear of finding out behind the curtain he's some kid living in his families basement or lacks the english skills to write polished informational pieces.... the whole finnish lambi and iambic thing.. is plausable but maybe in Maynards mind its in iambic meter..but it doesnt seem to fit... and i'm pretty sure iambic meter has to do with lyrics.. though i guess music fits as well.. 'the news letter's are written in some infantile style... maybe mocking us all... my issue is ... its a great song ..why not have some great title for the song.... and to be given an overly obscure reference... is the album only for the band's enjoyment.. don't get me wrong ... i've bought all the albums enough times... a bunch of shirts, posters... even joined the toolarmy... and their redundant forums.. i liked the keychain .... they have great music.. fantastic lyrics.., is the Band's mind so off limits to be direct and respectfully state whats going on... and is it difficult for the band something as simple as where the titles came from or even for that matter the lyrics of the songs.... 'yes i bought the tool album's and never bothered to get into them...' that dont fly with me... i'm not interested in some mystical 'of the cuff answer' in some glib sort of way.... TOOL listener's are not for the most part the same group that would rock out to elevator music... If the band could once and for all write a concise non derivative explination of the songs... maybe more people might listen to them... but mind you They could smash glass with hammers and I'd probably buy the album...

MINDDEVIL
08-11-2006, 10:01 AM
After much listening to the song last night / this morning.. i can see the iambic pentameter... though its much looser than adhering to a 'high school' study on the subject...

MrMcPheezy
08-11-2006, 10:41 AM
After much listening to the song last night / this morning.. i can see the iambic pentameter...

Where do you see it? How are scanning the lyrics to this song, and how does that method of scansion lead you to believe that the lyrics are written in iambic pentameter?

s ti N Kfizt
08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
i found this iambic thing before the album was leaked, when i googled jambi. ..eh, goodbye.

MINDDEVIL
08-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Where do you see it? How are scanning the lyrics to this song, and how does that method of scansion lead you to believe that the lyrics are written in iambic pentameter?

Its his attempt for iambic pentameter.. in his focus on vowels...

i do not have time and like i said ... its a very loose interpeation where bascially the first part of each line is one long stress.. then the rest in quick succession....

for example...
(But I would wish) (it) (all,) (a)(way)
(And got what I) (wanted) (all) (a)(long)

Vondruke
08-11-2006, 11:39 PM
How do you spell 'ruse' in morse code?

spacemonkeyadb
08-11-2006, 11:55 PM
.-. ..- ... .

MrMcPheezy
08-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Its his attempt for iambic pentameter.. in his focus on vowels...

i do not have time and like i said ... its a very loose interpeation where bascially the first part of each line is one long stress.. then the rest in quick succession....

for example...
(But I would wish) (it) (all,) (a)(way)
(And got what I) (wanted) (all) (a)(long)

I have no idea what you're talking about.

MINDDEVIL
08-15-2006, 07:43 AM
This vacuous Mod irritates me. Good bye.

MrMcPheezy
08-15-2006, 02:48 PM
In the first verse, the first syllable is the unstressed syllable.

..what?

Here from the king's mountain view.
Here from the wild dream come true.
Feast like a sultan I do.
On treasures and flesh never few.

Here, here, and feast would all count as stressed syllables. Only in the last line is the first syllable unstressed.

I can't be the only person here that knows what I'm talking about.

MrMcPheezy
08-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Ok, you may be right about the first line, but in the second and last lines, the first syllable is definitely unstressed.

No, no.

They're structured the same way. I can't be right about one line and wrong about others.

Here from the
Here from the

Those will be said the same, and they are, and "here" is accented in both of them. "From" and "the" are clearly not going to be accented, and "king's" and "wild" clearly are. So either the lines start with three unaccented syllables (unlikely/impossible) or I'm right.

Do you actually know anything about scansion or are you just guessing?

The point is, I'm pretty sure that the stresses occur every other syllable,

You're pretty sure? How about you show us how you've scanned these lines, and how that scansion lead you to that conclusion?