PDA

View Full Version : Radio Single....

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
06-04-2006, 09:27 AM
I guess I could almost confirm this to be Tool's new radio signal. It's being played on Sirius radio and is already on their countdown.

But ofcourse no one cares so whatever.

rogerdoger
06-04-2006, 09:44 AM
I thought that The Pot was suposed to be the next single...

MrVinnie77
06-04-2006, 10:01 AM
I guess I could almost confirm this to be Tool's new radio signal. It's being played on Sirius radio and is already on their countdown.

But ofcourse no one cares so whatever.

Having pissed away 9 years of my life in radio, I can tell you that "The Pot" will be the next single.

rogerdoger
06-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Having pissed away 9 years of my life in radio, I can tell you that "The Pot" will be the next single.
Yah, and what's more, didn't Maynard say that The Pot was the next single anyways?

BlanketEffect
06-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Not to steal the thunder away from Jambi by any means - but it is not radio material. Even the long length aside, it's just not a very catchy song. That doesn't mean I don't love it or that it's not a great song... it's just not radio material. (FM, that is)

BlanketEffect
06-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Th Pot, on the other hand, has *exactly* the kind of elements you'd expect a song you'd hear on FM radio.

swampyfool
06-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Not to steal the thunder away from Jambi by any means - but it is not radio material. Even the long length aside, it's just not a very catchy song. That doesn't mean I don't love it or that it's not a great song... it's just not radio material. (FM, that is)
That's what's wrong with radio.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Well whats wrong with radio is that there are alot of close minded people out there. The execs understand this so they feed them what ever they can to make a profit.

swampyfool
06-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Well whats wrong with radio is that there are alot of close minded people out there. The execs understand this so they feed them what ever they can to make a profit.
It's worse than all that . . . What the executives understand is that they don't even need to try to tailor their product to these brainless masses; they can tell these people to like anything, and the masses oblige. The innovation is being sucked out of the whole process. There was a time when radio was full of music that at least had artistic merit. Even if the song on the radio wasn't among your favorites, it was still a viable song with emotional riffs, meaningful and/or inventive lyrics, and a heartbeat. Many of us enjoyed a partial revival of that phenomenon in the early 90's (back when alternative really deserved that title), but that quickly faded as the industry seized on yet another emerging market. There will always be exceptions to the rules, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for these exceptions to survive- let alone thrive- in the parasitic climate that is the music industry.

Fuck- it's happening to the whole world, so why should radio get a pass? While it would be nice to think that the expression of an artform as personal as music would be able to maintain some semblance of sacrosanctity in this environment hostile to individuality, but it's an uphill battle when the masses are so massive.

Luosdasa
06-05-2006, 02:10 AM
It's worse than all that . . . What the executives understand is that they don't even need to try to tailor their product to these brainless masses; they can tell these people to like anything, and the masses oblige. The innovation is being sucked out of the whole process. There was a time when radio was full of music that at least had artistic merit. Even if the song on the radio wasn't among your favorites, it was still a viable song with emotional riffs, meaningful and/or inventive lyrics, and a heartbeat. Many of us enjoyed a partial revival of that phenomenon in the early 90's (back when alternative really deserved that title), but that quickly faded as the industry seized on yet another emerging market. There will always be exceptions to the rules, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for these exceptions to survive- let alone thrive- in the parasitic climate that is the music industry.

Fuck- it's happening to the whole world, so why should radio get a pass? While it would be nice to think that the expression of an artform as personal as music would be able to maintain some semblance of sacrosanctity in this environment hostile to individuality, but it's an uphill battle when the masses are so massive.

THAT's why people need to support noncomercial stations... can play what they want without the restrictions that go hand in hand with the drive for money...

*long live the J's*

blair's man sausage
06-05-2006, 04:56 AM

and aenema is?

BlanketEffect
06-06-2006, 01:10 PM
and aenema is?

Ænema was disjointed in so much as it wasn't verse chorus verse chorus and such.. it had several movements it went through, but each were catchy, I think... I'm not saying that Jambi isn't a great song, although it is probably my least favorite of the album (for the moment). I'm simply saying Jambi isn't catchy enough to keep the commercial masses' 30-second attention spans. - whether I'd like like it to or not is irrelevant.

Bottom line is usually this: If a song is rock solid enough to captivate you the first time you hear it, it can be radio-viable. If it's the type of song that takes a few (or a few dozen) listens to develope a taste/liking (or obsession for some) for it then it's not going to get put on commercial radio. They don't want people changing the dial. Tool songs are long and sometimes in parts not *catchy* - that's when teenie-boppers and such change the station, and thus lose revenue for the stations.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else on these boards. I'd love a station that played nothing but Tool and other though-provoking music all day long. But there aren't as many of us as there are the mindless masses. That's why it's our job to help to bring them to enlightenment. You've just got to be patient. Wait it out.

blair's man sausage
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
i don't think aenema all edited up is catchy at all for radio play, they released that as a single as a fuck you to the powers that be, sort of like making a video for hush...regardless i'm not a big radio listener so it's not really pertinent to me i guess

BlanketEffect
06-08-2006, 06:07 AM
i don't think aenema all edited up is catchy at all for radio play, they released that as a single as a fuck you to the powers that be, sort of like making a video for hush...regardless i'm not a big radio listener so it's not really pertinent to me i guess

Yeah, actually yesterday in a friend's truck was the first time I've listened to the radio in about six months. Wow... that's all I can say about it... shake my head and say 'wow'.

I'd rather listen to Useful Idiot for nine hours straight than listen to FM rock radio for 10 minutes. (which would equate out to about three songs that sound exactly the same.)

swampyfool
06-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Yeah, actually yesterday in a friend's truck was the first time I've listened to the radio in about six months. Wow... that's all I can say about it... shake my head and say 'wow'.

I'd rather listen to Useful Idiot for nine hours straight than listen to FM rock radio for 10 minutes. (which would equate out to about three songs that sound exactly the same.)
Exactly.

GHJ
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Corperate radio is the exact reason i dont listen to FM at all these days, if my radios on, its to listen to political AM.
CD's ftw.

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I once heard Eulogy while listening to the radio on my way through NYC, but that was never a single, was it? I never heard it in Chicago, or anywhere else.

BlanketEffect
06-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Occasionally I'll hear a Tool song (this was long ago back in the radio-listening days) that was not a released as a single. Maybe Lateralus was a released single? I heard it last summer one time at like 11PM and the middle section with the polyrhythms and soft vocals and such... all that was editted out. It went straight from the heavy part right after the second chorus to the climax part right before the last vocals.

As happy as I was to hear corporate radio playing something truly amazing, I was equally disappointed that it was neutered and disected for the sake of squeezing two more commercials into the block.

Nizzem
06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
ive been hearing The Pot on the Radio for over a month now

Kurt Russell
06-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Funny story...

We were driving around smoking a blunt the other night listening to NIN's the fragile, and we stopped to get some food. we got back in the car and jambi was playing and we're all like "WHAT?!.... how did the CD get changed while we were inside?" didn't figure out until the song ended that it was the radio. Drugs are bad, mmkay?

TOOL_Rules
06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I once heard Eulogy while listening to the radio on my way through NYC, but that was never a single, was it? I never heard it in Chicago, or anywhere else.

I don't know if it was ever a "single", but they sure played the shit out of it on the radio here in St. Louis back in the 1990s. That was back when I was still trying to stomach the radio......