PDA

View Full Version : My interpretation

Fenrirr
06-04-2006, 02:42 AM
This song simply is Maynard's satarical view on how the average Tool fan listens to their music. The average Tool fan being someone who failed out of highschool, working a dead end job, stuffing his/her fatass with donuts with the contradiction of a "diet" soda.

The "I", or speaker in this song would be anyone listening to the music, unable to comprehend or do anything worthwhile with what the band has been trying to say througout their music.

The UFO or the aliens in this song represent the band. Upon seeing the UFO, the person becomes stupified,

"that's when I opened up my bug-eyes,
my gaping jaw,
and my sweaty [lower and / L. Ron Hubbard] upper lip,
and all I could think was,
"I hope Uncle [Martin / Quark] here doesn't notice
that I pissed my fuckin' pants."

He/she is unable to act in any sensible matter other then to stand there and piss his pants.

Tool's message could be reflected in the following lines. The message given by the aliens to be passed through this abducted person:

"A message of hope to those who choose to hear it
and a warning to those who do not."

To me, Tool's music has always been about being angry, dealing with it, realizing things for what they are, and trying to find some kind of hope in life. Kind of like what is said in the Lateralus song Reflection;

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away."

The person seems to be insane in the latter part of the song, ranting, not being able to remember what was said to him/her, and shitting the bed. But common to the fans trying to interpret what is being said, we fail

"But I forgot my pen
Shit the bed again ...

Typical."

I would try to explain this better, but it's 7am and I haven't slept.