PDA

View Full Version : Album packaging

jquag
06-03-2006, 05:28 PM
It's probably mentioned somewhere else here, but think about this. The packaging of the cd, the cost of manufacturing vs the price of the product itself, the band and the label they're on wouldn't stand to make a large amount of money on this. Surely, they will sell millions of copies. But are there other bands out there who would be allowed to provide this level of artwork and have a very low per copy price? I think not. These guys stand alone, or almost alone, as musicians in absolute control of their own destiny. p.s. 'cuz this is what you're gettin'

schmeng
06-03-2006, 05:50 PM
tis true, not much profit to be made there

æmoeba•°·.
06-03-2006, 08:02 PM
True. I actually thought it should be worthe at least 25-30 dollars if not a little bit more. Even game's are completely low volume in packaging appeal and they are 50 dollars.

bitter_enigma
06-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Are you guys kidding? Seriously?

The only thing that would be slightly more expensive would be the glasses... and come on, they're basically two bits of magnified plastic. How much more do you think it cost them? CDs are shit cheap to make.

roscoe.etc
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
with the recent advancement of file sharing it seems logical that tool would want to make the cd packaging something that couldnt be pirated so that they would actually sell the cd.

renegade46n2
06-06-2006, 08:08 PM
I doubt they care about profits anyway. Many bands don't even see any of the actual album sales money. They get a paycheck from the record company for recording the album and then the record company keeps the profits. Bands make their money on ticket sales and merch.

TJBundy
06-08-2006, 09:47 AM
10,00 Days is one of the few cd's that i DID NOT feel ripped off while buying. Thanks TOOL. :)

TheVoid
06-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't think the packaging is much more expensive than the average cd case, but the album itself was only 12$. You can't fuck with that.

andrew7667
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
The packaging made the money feel well spent. I got more than just some music (which I could have easily just downloaded)...Which I think is their intended purpose: Making content that can't be downloaded.

wearethestories
06-09-2006, 07:07 PM
The only reason the price is so low is that retailers are expecting to sell a shit-ton of copies. After a year or so, the price will go back up to the regular TOOL/Volcano/Dissectional/Zoo prices (MSRP: $18.98)

Check Amazon.com's "List Price" for any Tool CD including 10,000 Days.

hushypushy
06-11-2006, 12:55 PM
this CD is still $9.99 at Tower Records, i went in there yesterday. Ænima is $14.99. i didnt check the others.

this crap is always on sale, the MSRP, for the most part, is a bunch of bullcrap.

Oddman
06-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Are you guys kidding? Seriously?

The only thing that would be slightly more expensive would be the glasses... and come on, they're basically two bits of magnified plastic. How much more do you think it cost them? CDs are shit cheap to make.

Hmmmd unno.. i think it would have cost quite abit more... normal cd cases are made all the same by the hundreds of millions. This one was unique. the simple fact that its made for one album rather than for many would make it cost a few extra cents t make. (and ita ll adds up) Anyway all i know is that i was very suprisd when i found the price.

On the subject of downloading instr=ead of buying. I could not do that with a band like tool. I just feel like im not geting the full story if i download it. CDs this good can not be downloaded i think One reason is the shitty bitrate you would be getting and also it just a respect thing.
If they can bring us this music that we care about so much, the least we can do is spend few bucks for it.

hushypushy
06-11-2006, 10:49 PM
One reason is the shitty bitrate you would be getting and also it just a respect thing.
If they can bring us this music that we care about so much, the least we can do is spend few bucks for it.

well your first point is flawed, these arent the days of Kazaa (when a registry setting allowed only 128kbps files to be shared), these are modern times when lossless FLAC and APE files freely circulate...

but yeah other than that i agree. i buy CDs all the time.

Morfindel
06-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Obviously, thats the price for US and Canada. I live in Mexico City, and in every motherfucking store I went between May 2 and May 20, the CD was as ethereal as... ether.
And when it finally arrived, it did cost around 25-30 USD. Im not complaining about the price, but about the fact you lucky bastards got it earlier and cheaper.

schmeng
06-13-2006, 11:32 PM
but yeah other than that i agree. i buy CDs all the time.

never downloaded an album in my life and i never will

Oddman
06-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Ya, all im saying is that most music you download is in MP3 format, and most of that is at maximum 192 kbit/sec. Now that just sucks. Anyway nothing will ever beat having an artists work in your hands as well as your ears.

Absolute_Zero
06-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Here's a relevant thread from a while back:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=45407

eonphi
06-15-2006, 03:17 PM
with the recent advancement of file sharing it seems logical that tool would want to make the cd packaging something that couldnt be pirated so that they would actually sell the cd.

with that said, also...i read somewhere that it wouldn't be that much of a difference in cost manufacturing the steoscopic case as it does manufacturing the conventional case

deppo
06-26-2006, 10:51 PM
There is always going to be a massive base of tool fans who will buy the album no matter what, however, I think that less passionate fans on the fringe, who would normally burn a tool album from a mate or download it or whatever may have bought this one due to its unique packaging. Possibly more bands will go down this route in the future to combat the rampant piracy in the industry. I reckon the extra sales attributed to the artwork would have offset the extra production costs easily.

smok3y
07-17-2006, 01:02 PM
i don't think putting the digipak and glasses together cost anymore than the holographic case to aenima. but it did make me feel like the album was worth a hell of alot more than the $9.99 i paid for it.