PDA

View Full Version : The Birth of Tragedy

tenabc
06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I think that this track and the next track would provide a good opportunity to bring the debates and ideas of The Birth of Tragedy from the Spirit of Music to the people and the younger generations who may not have heard of this discussion at all in their lives. This track and the next were beautiful as pretty much all of the Tool tracks.

soulslot
06-03-2006, 01:46 PM
I think that this track and the next track would provide a good opportunity to bring the debates and ideas of The Birth of Tragedy from the Spirit of Music to the people and the younger generations who may not have heard of this discussion at all in their lives. This track and the next were beautiful as pretty much all of the Tool tracks.

Woah, busting out a little Nietzsche in this bitch, are we? Ive done a fair share of work on Nietzsche, what exactly do you find on point respective to this comparison? interested to hear more on what you have to say.

tomhet
06-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah, enlighten me, in which way relates Greek tragedy, Romantic German music, the issue of idealist Philosophy AND an album as (mediocre, poor, incoherent as) 10kdays?

swampyfool
06-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah, enlighten me, in which way relates Greek tragedy, Romantic German music, the issue of idealist Philosophy AND an album as (mediocre, poor, incoherent as) 10kdays?
WHAT??!!?!??!?!??!?

tomhet
06-03-2006, 06:19 PM
That's what "The Birth of Tragedy" is about, isn't it? Nietzsche discusses all these topics. He says that Euripides is no match to Sophocles or Aeschylus, based on a passage by Aristophanes, the Greek comedy writer. Nietzsche, influenced also by Arthur Schopenhauer and Richard Wagner, wrote this as he was a young philology teacher. At the time the book was not appreciated but it's very interesting. Please, correct me if I made a mistake.

soulslot
06-03-2006, 08:19 PM
That's what "The Birth of Tragedy" is about, isn't it? Nietzsche discusses all these topics. He says that Euripides is no match to Sophocles or Aeschylus, based on a passage by Aristophanes, the Greek comedy writer. Nietzsche, influenced also by Arthur Schopenhauer and Richard Wagner, wrote this as he was a young philology teacher. At the time the book was not appreciated but it's very interesting. Please, correct me if I made a mistake.

You are not at all incorrect. It was indeed an early work in nietzsche's career, interestingly parts of which he renounced in his latter years for being overly "Romantic," the same reason he largely parted ways with Wagner. Perhaps the enduring themes he really touched upon in Birth of Tragedy that carried over to his final works is the exposition of the so called Appollinian and Dionysian drives, the marriage of which gives way to the experience of art. Apollo in greek culture and for Nietzsche represented the experience of individuation, focus and reasoned calculating execution. Whereas Dionysus was the god of fury, chaos, dissasociation-the loss of the self in the irrational , violent, although beautiful experience of existence. It was, nietzsche argued, these two drives which give rise to the experience of art. Until his final incompleted works, namely "The Will to Power as Art,"Nietzsche was still very much intrigued by this formulation. As such, this is largely what is taught in most philosophy or nietzsche survey classes as the now accepted take home message of BOT after all is said and done. How any of this relates to 10K days specifically, i am not entirely sure. I suppose you could apply a lot of Tool's work in a nietzschean sense..if you construed it accordingly..i dont see why this album is any more or less on point than any others.

tomhet
06-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Man, I liked that book more than any other by Nietzsche. That Dyonisian-Apollonian stuff is amazing. And I really prefer Aeschylus and Sophocles more than Euripides most of the times (except "Hyppolitus", that tragedy really rocks (:) I don't know why people don't read that anymore, it's a true shame.

tenabc
06-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Actually I am sorry. You are all right. I should have rechecked my readings before I posted this, although that reading is a good aesthetic reading. What I meant was that the birth of tragedy from the spirit of music should be debated in the sense not which the book suggests, but in reguards to those whose lives are turned upside down due to a musical experience. The track seems to carry resemblences to the book of Job among other things, and I just meant that this debate in a society as a simple and common but often ignored debate. I think any smart and scholarly artistic society would make an effort to control and dissuade these elements in a society.