PDA

View Full Version : Having some kind of psychadelic experience

Ironman Fe
06-03-2006, 09:54 AM
I notice that about half of these comments, especially the ones offering a new interpretation of a song, begin like this BUT... "I know this is probably way off base..." but what does anyone think about this song being about some sort of revelatory acid trip? There's all types of little hints that remind of drugs... particularly of the psychadelic variety. The name of the song is Rosetta "Stoned"... the scene he describes there in the beginning reminds me of many crazy acid trips I've had... the piece of the song where he is all like "feet cold, eyes red... am I alive or am I dead?... God damn shit the bed" all of that remind of being fucked up... the "sunkist, sudafed" part, you can use sudafed to make meth... and the whole "must remember to write it down ... but I forgot my pen" part, just sounds like something a tripping balls person might do. So, if anyone thinks there is any weight to the argument that this song might be about a psychadelic experience that offered some sort of revelation to the one involved... do some research because I'm too lazy.

swampyfool
06-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Dude, there are already a shitload of threads about this . . . Maybe you should just read those and contribute your thoughts there. Though your assertion does leave me puzzled on one level. How do Sudafed and meth have anything to do with psychedelia?

æmoeba•°·.
06-03-2006, 03:47 PM
song is a METAPHOR!...not literality of drug useage.

swampyfool
06-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Then what is the deadhead chemistry, or the blotter? Why is the story told as a first person narration? Why has Blair posted that the portrayed narrator is an actual person? There may be metaphors contained in the song- it may in fact be in entirity a metaphor- but to disavow the very literal connotations of psychedelia that establish this metaphor is just foolish. What justification can you offer?

Jon08
06-03-2006, 03:56 PM

you don't know that. each person's interpretation of the song is correct.

in my view, the song is about blame and close-mindedness. when we do not want to believe something, we simply find an excuse or explanation that fits into our own little view of the world. i think MJK uses the idea of blaming an abduction on LSD as an example to give this idea concrete basis in something we can relate to in today's society. it's much like how many people blame the homeless for their homelessness because they think they are drug users, lazy, or did it to themselves. we simply don't want to take the responsibility of helping them so we blame their situation on their own behavior.

æmoeba•°·.
06-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Then what is the deadhead chemistry, or the blotter? Why is the story told as a first person narration? Why has Blair posted that the portrayed narrator is an actual person? There may be metaphors contained in the song- it may in fact be in entirity a metaphor- but to disavow the very literal connotations of psychedelia that establish this metaphor is just foolish. What justification can you offer?

I'm talking about the meaning, not the story.

stevejols
06-05-2006, 11:43 AM
To me, the meaning is a pay off for Tool fans. The lyrics are meaningful and fucking halarious at the same time. Anyone who has eaten a lof psychedelics in one sitting, and who has listened to enough tool KNOWS what this song is about.. nuff said.

P.S.
Acid is wonderful but sometimes it makes you reach for something that isn't there

swampyfool
06-05-2006, 12:04 PM
P.S.
Acid is wonderful but sometimes it makes you reach for something that isn't there

Well said.

the usual
06-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Dude, there are already a shitload of threads about this . . . Maybe you should just read those and contribute your thoughts there. Though your assertion does leave me puzzled on one level. How do Sudafed and meth have anything to do with psychedelia?

The song reminds me of past interviews w/ maynard; where he described how people can use drugs as a gateway ()cheatcode().
But the problem is,you have no reference as to how and why this experience happens()naturally().
I have also read info on how the DMT that natually resides in you brain, might have something to do with alien abductions.
in short .......naturally triping.

Lost keys(the rosetta stone was a key of sorts(language)..the conection makes alot of sense.
roestta stoned(natural or not 'the trip/alien abduction"....the song definiently reminds me of what i previously mentioned; triping with no reference.
Swiming in water with an undercurrent and having no lifejacket.

That is only the tip of the iceburg ,as far as R.S. goes.

man these guys rock!.

the usual
06-11-2006, 11:38 AM
maybe the mushoom is the rosetta stone for triping and language.

Wait I been staring at my copy of transfigurations for too long

Blame Mckenna