PDA

View Full Version : With headphones?

Amalexus
06-03-2006, 04:46 AM
If you listen to this song, on like a medium volume with headphones, does it give you a headache? I've literally taken this "song" off my music player now, gives me a splitting headache everytime i listen to it. Sounds good on my normal speaker system though.

AKTool
06-06-2006, 06:05 PM
No headache here, I actualy find this song soothing with headphones

Carny_Handles
06-06-2006, 06:11 PM
odd, i dont get a headache either. I could try and be a smart ass and say turn down the volume, but im sure you do...

rogerdoger
06-06-2006, 06:21 PM

savelints8
06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
No headache here, I actualy find this song soothing with headphones
Same here.

Lysander
06-09-2006, 05:00 PM
COnsidering the words "medium volume," I would say that it is safe to assume he got hte volume right, yes. Anyway, it probably depends on what kinds of headphones you're using. I could give a long list of songs that make my head hurt on these cans that I wear now, but Lost Keys aint one of 'em. My guess would be that the phones you're using are pushing the high frequencies so much that the sound of the high guitar line is hitting your head at loud ultrasonic frequencies.

Ardent
06-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Same here.

im gonna say ditto as well...

hushypushy
06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
lysander is probably right, it's just the high pitched feedback that's getting to you...

hell, i just listened to the track on headphones a few mins ago (im listening to the album, im on intension right now...) and hey, no headache ;)

Juzblome
06-15-2006, 06:29 AM
a lot of songs do that to me on this album.

I think it's the mastering.

no offense to Mr. Ludwig, but this album is squashed all to hell. Sounds good, but squashed.

Ardent
06-15-2006, 02:02 PM
could you define "squashed"?

Juzblome
06-15-2006, 03:01 PM
could you define "squashed"?

Flat, Very little Dynamic range, Quiet songs are as loud as louder more powerfull songs. Everything is in the red on the meter bridge.

as an example.... Listen to Parabol and Parabola from Laturalus, there is a huge amplitude difference from one track to another. Now listen to Wings and 10,000 and wings is just as loud as 10,000 days. Or a better example would be lostkeys and Rossetta Stoned. even the songs that feel like quiet peacefull songs are as loud as the songs that feel like they need to be loud and powerfull.

It's realy just an industry trend right now. People in the industry call it the loudness war. I hope it ends soon before everyone goes deaf listening to Mpeepee's through Ipod ear bugs.

Ardent
06-15-2006, 03:26 PM
i can kinda see what you mean.

inSin
06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Flat, Very little Dynamic range, Quiet songs are as loud as louder more powerfull songs. Everything is in the red on the meter bridge.

as an example.... Listen to Parabol and Parabola from Laturalus, there is a huge amplitude difference from one track to another. Now listen to Wings and 10,000 and wings is just as loud as 10,000 days. Or a better example would be lostkeys and Rossetta Stoned. even the songs that feel like quiet peacefull songs are as loud as the songs that feel like they need to be loud and powerfull.

It's realy just an industry trend right now. People in the industry call it the loudness war. I hope it ends soon before everyone goes deaf listening to Mpeepee's through Ipod ear bugs.

ya im already deaf from listening to 10k days to much on my ipod.. its cool though who needs ears?

Fallacy/Facade
06-16-2006, 02:34 AM
But hey if we all end up deaf wouldn't it be great to know that we got deaf listening to such a great band! And as for the headache, take a pain killer and turn it UP!! Yeah!!!!

Marshy
06-16-2006, 03:00 AM

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/images/Loudness_Race_Graph.gif

It's a fucking shame.

Juzblome
06-16-2006, 05:58 AM
http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/images/Loudness_Race_Graph.gif

It's a fucking shame.

that's it right there

gerbil
06-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I tend to like it that way. Good bass n shit.

You can still get good bass without compressing it all to hell. 10,000 Days is a little more compressed than I prefer, but it's not that bad. I do kind of like not having to reach for the volume knob all the time. The Patient is like that. I have to turn it up for the quiet intro, and then it just blasts me when the heavier parts kick in. Vicarious, however, sounds terrible on the radio because their own compressors kill the heavy parts.

Terry21
06-17-2006, 10:04 AM
There are some terrible peep noises in The Pot that make my head explode while even listening on a system. Don't know about Lost Keys, that bass thing could definately be very terrible.

Lysander
06-21-2006, 02:01 PM
It is, indeed, a fuckingg shame. Aenima and Lateralus were both very good about the dynamic range, and were the albums I would always point to as an example of how to master an album so that it rocks ass without blowing out your ears. (Lateralus especially.) To see them go backwards like this in 10KDays is just heartbreaking. Who the hell is this new guy, anyway, and why did they stop using David?

wearethestories
06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Who the hell is this new guy, anyway, and why did they stop using David?
# Joe Barresi - Engineering and Mixing (credited as "Evil Joe Barresi")[11]
# Bob Ludwig - Mastering[12]

a la wiki

and there are some interviews about why they switched it up --- from what I can remember, it's because they felt like they needed a change in order to go in the direction that they had decided upon as a band.

my opinion: wouldn't have sounded nearly as heavy or gutteral if it was done by the same guy...

Lysander
06-21-2006, 11:45 PM
I know the guys' names, I meant how did the bandmembers decide they'd be better choices to dick with the sound?

xplorer04
06-26-2006, 12:18 AM
ever sense i got my sennheiser HD650 headphones i have come to appriciate music much, much more. you hear things you dont hear on regular speakers or some low quality headphones. infact i found that i can listen to music longer on these headphones than others. but to answer the question, no i do not get headaches when i listen to any tool songs, or any other songs for that matter.