PDA

View Full Version : A New Or Maybe Not So New Idea On Disposition

3rd eye
04-14-2003, 06:35 AM
If the implications for the lateralus album work towards de-selfing, and general messages aimed at having the maturity to lose "the ego" aspect of the self - that irrational monster within us that tries to take credit for eveything unique and excellent within us, and makes us feel so vulnerable when we know we can't always "win" at certain things in our lives.......taking that idea in mind prior.......i feel even this song could be based along the same lines but using the metaphor thru music itself (being a musician myself) i know that with all instruments, they are predispositioned for certain sounds, feels, vibes, and responsible for a whole host of different mood swings within the mind. Maybe Maynard is suggesting directly through his lyrics the nature of instruments. "Mention this to me, and watch the weather change." The weather being your mood, and the instrument is responsible, as it is receiving mentions, being communicated with, being spoken to. The instrument, could be a metaphor. The human really isn't completely responsible for the actual nature of the sounds any instrument makes. The instrument has the disposition for the sounds, and the human has the intellect, intuition, and ideas, which ultimately bring forth such beautiful sounds, or very ugly sounds. And changing our moods accordingly because our minds subsequently have the disposition to experience many different moods, it's all about becoming prevoked, just like the musical instruments. But then again......maybe i'm full of shit.

3rd eye
04-14-2003, 07:07 AM
Yeah I agree with that totally. Many different ideas can be applied to this song, which gives it so much depth, not unlike probably all tool songs hehe. It was just a new idea that I sorta figured out in my sleep deprived state of mind.

thedestroyer666
04-21-2003, 05:34 PM
I would have to agree. It seems like a very logical explanation of the songs overall meaning.

However, personally, it holds a deeper meaning that I won't get into here.

Good work.