PDA

View Full Version : Maynards best vocal performance?

Mozeley
06-02-2006, 06:22 AM
I consider this song to be one of Maynards best vocal performances on any album.

Technically speaking it's fantastic. Very hard to sing *and* I've heard some of the bootlegs from their recent concerts and he can perform it more or less pitch perfect the whole way through.

Very impressive.

smeefsmeef
06-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I consider this song to be one of Maynards best vocal performances on any album.

Technically speaking it's fantastic. Very hard to sing *and* I've heard some of the bootlegs from their recent concerts and he can perform it more or less pitch perfect the whole way through.

Very impressive.

Those are my thoughts as well.

thomas.freeman
06-03-2006, 01:01 PM
AWESOME in the first chorus the vocal run down on e-e-ey-e e-e-ey-e so perfect and inspired

hreems
06-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't know much about the technical aspects of singing, but what I do know is that Maynard's voice comes through more clearly here than on any other song. I wish he would do that more...I love this album but my one complaint so far is that his words are often drowned out by the rest of the band on the other tracks. He has a great voice, and this is the one song on 10,000 days where he is truly a "frontman".

Gnome_Chomsky
06-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Check out APC then.

tragedy thrills me
06-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Oh yea. Oh yea. You gotta love it when Maynard gets pissed. Its truly one of his more Technical songs to sing.

ErikTheRed
06-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Going against the flow here too. While I certainly appreciate MJK's incredible vocal talents (undeniably the best in the industry, hands down), the opening lyrics in "The Pot" are, ummm, shall we say, questionable in style. As Ive said, its very UN-Tool, which is rather disheartening. It might be lyrically technical, but its tarnished by a complete lack of Maynardness---- and a singers quality is as much style as it is ability, to the listener. To say this is his "best vocal performance" is a stretch the likes I have rarely heard..........kinda like saying Danny's greatest performance is the opening 1st minute of Wings for Marie.

???

Exactly.

Terry21
06-13-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't understand how one can be so close-minded to say something against that intro. Are you too "proud" to like it?

aleph null
06-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Ok, the intro's high and yet Maynard hits the notes well and isn't out of tune (as far as my shitty sense of pitch goes). Excellent vibrato, too! But christ, the tone's ugly for that unaccompanied first verse - really whiny, kinda nasal. Why choose to sing something so difficult and exposed if you haven't got the chops for it? It's interesting in its wrong-ness, a bit like Perry Farrel or Brian Molko's voices are - not strictly musically good, but still saying something with their tone. But I do think that Maynard can sing in a straightforward good-sounding way (when at a lower pitch), so why then *choose* to sound bad/off? Weird.

[Would we expect anything other than weird, now, really?!]

aleph null
06-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Ok, after hearing it live tonight? Scratch what I said above! He sang it absolutely fucking gorgeously, so evidently it can be done.

ErikTheRed
06-14-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't understand how one can be so close-minded to say something against that intro. Are you too "proud" to like it?

This kills me. So I dont agree with your opinion, therefore Im "close-minded". The irony is, only someone close-minded could say such a thing......or simple-minded, perhaps. And could you please explain your accusation of "too proud to like it"? This is rather curious.

I didnt say Maynard doesnt sing it well, I said it isnt his "style". It does not sound Tool, and forgive me if Im "close-minded", but I dont care for it. Guess what? I dont like green beans either.

smeefsmeef
06-14-2006, 06:40 PM
This kills me. So I dont agree with your opinion, therefore Im "close-minded". The irony is, only someone close-minded could say such a thing......or simple-minded, perhaps. And could you please explain your accusation of "too proud to like it"? This is rather curious.

I didnt say Maynard doesnt sing it well, I said it isnt his "style". It does not sound Tool, and forgive me if Im "close-minded", but I dont care for it. Guess what? I dont like green beans either.

You're close minded because Terry21
is right and green beans are right as well.

Discipline
06-16-2006, 02:43 AM
It's wonderful.I was telling to a friend-imagine what could be having a singer like Maynard in your band!- Hats off to Adam,Justin and Danny too

tomhet
06-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Fucking horrible song, to be technically impressive has nothing to do with beauty at all. Have you heard "Parabola" or "Pushit"? Now, those are inspiring vocals

Terry21
06-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Fucking horrible song, to be technically impressive has nothing to do with beauty at all. Have you heard "Parabola" or "Pushit"? Now, those are inspiring vocals

I don't see how this song is showing off technically; that's what WE are saying. In fact, Tool are always technically impressive, aren't they? And I think The Pot is an awesome song, in a way that doesn't need that much thinking. You can just turn it on and dance to it.

tomhet
06-17-2006, 08:09 PM
I said that because of the first poster. Ha ha, dancing, I never saw that one coming :)

Terry21
06-18-2006, 01:17 AM
I said that because of the first poster. Ha ha, dancing, I never saw that one coming :)

I always catch myself up. :P

kaickul
06-22-2006, 05:08 AM
he sings really well

Loveboat Captain
06-22-2006, 05:18 AM
It's hard to sing and scream in equally powerful measures in one song. Especially so close to one another.

mr. nikki jensen
06-22-2006, 05:56 AM
The Pot's i just another example of 'nards strength. everything he's touching becomes to gold. for me its difficult to pick some of the songs which it better than the other. have to many favorites to describe

stlcards
07-03-2006, 10:54 AM
First time I heard it I thought what the fuck? BUt then I listened to it several more times and heard it live and it has become one of my favorites. It is amazing what they are doing with music and what MJK is doing with his voice. The intor is different, yet sung very well and same live. The whole album is different and just proves that they are advancing in what they are doing (if that is possible, but nobody is perfect, right?)

mosquitokillah
07-07-2006, 01:17 PM
definitely the best track on that album and definitely maynard's best vocal performance ever

resonance.
07-07-2006, 02:22 PM
anyone else notice the likeness to Freddy Mercury?

mea_culpa
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
It's interesting to hear him doing something else. This is at a higher pitch than most of his other vocals, but Maynard's range isn't really very spectacular. He adopts a lot of different tones which is cool, and the main attraction for me is the strength in his voice when he yells, eg. "there's no love in fear." The screams are pretty good too, for those who like screaming, especially on Opiate and Jerk-Off.

champion
07-12-2006, 07:33 AM
It might be one of his more difficult performances, but I can't even listen to The Pot anymore because Maynard's vocals seem so forced and obnoxious.