PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stoned / The Grudge

ThreeDeviations
06-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Listen to The Grudge at 7:36 to 7:58.

Listen to Rosetta Stoned at 7:42 to roughly 8:37...

same snapping sound... slightly faster in Rosetta, but same sound.

both leading up to the message and climax of each song..

The Grudge, to "Let go."

Rosetta Stoned,
"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see."

Gnome_Chomsky
06-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Congratulations.

HallsOfMandos
06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
If you listen carefully to the new album you may hear some guitar. Put in Lateralus - ZOMG! they used guitar on it as well.

ThreeDeviations
06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
If you listen carefully to the new album you may hear some guitar. Put in Lateralus - ZOMG! they used guitar on it as well.

not even close to the same thing-

but good try on the condescension

funny thing is, I guarantee you went and listened to it.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I noticed this the first time through, and I like the sound/beat on both songs. Im not sure if your ripping on Tool for "repeating themselves" like so many others on here are but if you are, go find a better hobby.

5th Eye
06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
I think it's a clap.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
yeah or one of those clapping stick things. Its two peices of wood, one is loose and you slap it down, producing a sound similar to a clap. Its kinda like a directors scene starter thing. "and action... CLAP". That thing.

ThreeDeviations
06-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm not ripping on Tool, clownface. Yeah, that's why I'm on here posting all the time.. to "rip Tool."

Noticed it the first time through huh? Yeah, I actually noticed it before the cd even came out. In fact, I called Maynard and gave him the idea.

I didn't know what to refer to it as... "clapping, snapping.." I actually like how they've incorporated aspects of old songs into their new stuff- while still keeping the sound original.

Gnome_Chomsky
06-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah me too, I think I get more out of the album this way, nostalgia almost. Sorry if I came off as a dick, its just so many people, it seems, are annoyed by 10,000 days and they want every one to know that they dont like it. So many threads about how their reusing their old riffs ect. makes me sad that people cant see the album for what it is and not what it compares too.

Dizmal
06-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds good on both, regardless.

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM

why do you keep reffering back to Lateralus all of the time. you reffered the guitar from Intentions back to Lateralus as well....and both have been wrong...lateralus had an overlap in the last "solo" and it was higher pitched and more less distortion than Rossetta...

Colonel Pants
06-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Maybe the slight musical similarities in this song (the "Grudge like" clap stick sound, the squishy synth like in Reflection) indicate that the persona in the song was tripping whilst listening to Lateralus. Maybe the order of the sounds also hints at that old Holy Gift track order.
Maybe I'll stop rambling with shitty conspiracies.
Maybe the band can't use the same instrument/sound in a few songs without them all being labelled similar. That annoys me a bit. Not just with people saying that about Tool and their songs, but other bands too. They try out a new instrument in a song and people go "Wow! That's such an inventive, original idea". But if they try to use it again in another song people just say "Pfft they've run out of ideas and now they're just copying their own songs."
Basically:

My 2c is not refundable.

ThreeDeviations
06-03-2006, 02:33 AM
To me, it has a very primal sound and feel.

almost hypnotic...

then you're shaken from the trance with the song's climax in both instances

Jon08
06-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I think it's a clap.

actually i'm quite sure it is an electronic drum. it's sounds somewhere in between a clap and a snap, but since it it's electronic, it doesn't really matter.

#Notion
06-03-2006, 04:04 PM
I tried to point this out to my friends and none of them could hear or recognize what I was talking about. It's insane the amount of sounds in Rosetta Stoned there are that are found in previous songs.

æmoeba•°·.
06-03-2006, 04:08 PM
actually i'm quite sure it is an electronic drum. it's sounds somewhere in between a clap and a snap, but since it it's electronic, it doesn't really matter.

That's what i said in 4 threads already. They were announced on Toolband that they are now availabe, i think they start with an "M". they have some wierd name called Mandala's or something of that nature.

Jon08
06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
That's what i said in 4 threads already. They were announced on Toolband that they are now availabe, i think they start with an "M". they have some wierd name called Mandala's or something of that nature.

good for you. danny started using those drums back with Lateralus. everyone knows this,

stevejols
06-06-2006, 11:42 AM
There is a definate connection I think. But more so I hear a lot of Tool ideas in Rossetta. Probably because its about tripping and tripping makes tons of Ideas rush though your head really fast.