PDA

View Full Version : Ode to a lonely fellow

Staticfactory
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
This tune is easily my favorite from 10,000 Days (thus far) and I'd like to share my interpretation.

Apart from the Bill Hicks references, clever word-play and general silliness, I think this song actually comes from a sad place in Maynard.

The more I listen to the song and absorb the subtle nuances, the more I believe it to be written about a lonely/lost person and how the mind can trick you (or, you trick the mind) into changing your reality (with or without drugs).

IE. Pyschosis.

I see a story about a lonely boy, feeling small and unimportant, lacking that part of a person that makes them feel special and good to be alive. This particular loner, sitting at HIS 'need to know post' (he visits often), and eating his krispy kremes, ultimately fabricates this entire sequence of events in his mind (with the possible aide of drugs and/or other substances.)

The way the story is told just resonates with the feeling of having someone tell you a story that they really want you to believe (and want to believe, themselves.) There are a lot of references to how much it means to him, including the fact that he confirms that he didn't even finish high school and now he's the chosen one! This shit never happens to him! Unfortunately, he can't tell you the details of our ending, because he just so happened to forget his pen... typical.

I don't need to spell it out completely. I believe if you listen to the song from this angle it does make a lot of sense, especially if you know anything about psychosis.

What do you guys think?

HallsOfMandos
06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
What do you guys think?

we don't - maynard thinks for us

Choke
06-01-2006, 04:14 PM
i think its a fun song, probably written while on LSD. kicks serious ass! one of the better songs on the new album.

JJunkhead
06-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Yep psychosis, and with all these poeple screaming LSD on this forum they must be getting better acid then most people

rogerdoger
06-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I like this idea. Maybe the part about being the "Chosen One" is coming from wanting to be something in the world instead of being nobody.

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 08:37 PM
This tune is easily my favorite from 10,000 Days (thus far) and I'd like to share my interpretation.

Apart from the Bill Hicks references, clever word-play and general silliness, I think this song actually comes from a sad place in Maynard.

The more I listen to the song and absorb the subtle nuances, the more I believe it to be written about a lonely/lost person and how the mind can trick you (or, you trick the mind) into changing your reality (with or without drugs).

IE. Pyschosis.

I see a story about a lonely boy, feeling small and unimportant, lacking that part of a person that makes them feel special and good to be alive. This particular loner, sitting at HIS 'need to know post' (he visits often), and eating his krispy kremes, ultimately fabricates this entire sequence of events in his mind (with the possible aide of drugs and/or other substances.)

The way the story is told just resonates with the feeling of having someone tell you a story that they really want you to believe (and want to believe, themselves.) There are a lot of references to how much it means to him, including the fact that he confirms that he didn't even finish high school and now he's the chosen one! This shit never happens to him! Unfortunately, he can't tell you the details of our ending, because he just so happened to forget his pen... typical.

I don't need to spell it out completely. I believe if you listen to the song from this angle it does make a lot of sense, especially if you know anything about psychosis.

What do you guys think?

//.....................................well done...I haven't had enough time to actually listen to the songs so i know them by memory yet...but once i start listening to the lyrics i will pick up on "meanings" in songs much easier..