PDA

View Full Version : Siren?

duncang
06-01-2006, 10:32 AM
The feedback in the background up till 1:27...could it be an ambulance siren? LSD overdose? Doctors?

Ertai
06-01-2006, 01:03 PM
or the sirens from greek mythology....

EdwardJamesKeenan
06-01-2006, 01:48 PM
banana deepthroat! now theres a fetish i never thort i would see.

oh and erm, kinda pointless thread perhaps, or maybe i'm jsut bored of thse boards.

Jon08
06-01-2006, 02:59 PM
hmm... never thought of that. actually makes sense. tool doesn't do anything without a reason.

hunterSthompson
06-02-2006, 10:09 AM
It really doesnt sound like bass to me... guitar maybe.. but not bass guitar

savelints8
06-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Actually, that is Justin on the bass! Tool opened with LK/RS in Denver. Justin uses lots of feedback and distortion to create that noise.

I don't think it's a siren. I always heard it as related to the LSD, like a "oh great, now you've done it", overdose kind of sound. If that makes any sense.

CaseLogic
06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
It's Justin, you can tell as the melody progresses, occassionally he'll drop into the normal bass register. I'm trying to figure out how he does it though, sounds like he plays a harmonic or something and then feedback picks up right in the beginning... and then he uses whammy and vibrato pedals. Who knows.

Terry21
06-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Reminds me of the fucking bass solo in Vicarious. If that's not divine, I don't know.

PriceisRight
06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I think it's just a disoriented sound. It really makes you unconfortable to listen to it because of it. He's comming out of that wild state he was in thats why we here the abrasive feedback for so long till it gets softer and we hear the breathing and the sounds of the hospital.

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
It is Justin on bass using a "delay" pedal, at 10, and vibrato effects a long with deep distortion feedback...He's also playing harmonics, that's why it's higher pitched sounding....and plus, the guitar is already playing.>>>(there is no overlap)<<<.

CaseLogic
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
There has to be at least a whammy though

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
There has to be at least a whammy though

Yes, because it cases faster and slower, but he doesn't use a whammy effect that would make it phase..

æmoeba•°·.
06-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Justinjoy! ; )

nice "pun" ..

harbong
06-19-2006, 09:56 AM
the pitch shifting sounds more like a boss ps-2/3.
I know justin does use a bass whammy, but when the notes shift up, it's not smooth, you can hear the pedal switch between half steps, which is a trait of the early boss pitch shifters, whereas the digitech doesn't latch onto pitches.
it's also possible that he is switching between the harmony presets to get the step effect, but then there would be two notes instead of the one drone.
I think he's using a combination of bass whammy 1 or 2 octaves up, and kicks in the boss for the latter part with the whammy still pushing it up a few octaves.

encrusted
06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Actually, that is Justin on the bass! Tool opened with LK/RS in Denver. Justin uses lots of feedback and distortion to create that noise.

Totally - saw Justin do it in T.O. last month - fucked me up real good!

Yondo
06-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I've always thought of it as the Siren after an overdose, being carted off to the hospital. It all blurs together because you're barely conscious.

Lysander
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Which would wash, only it doesn't sound a thing like an ambulance siren and he admitted himself voluntarily. How about, "it's a cool ambient noise effect that Justin's making with this device called a bass guitar"?

savelints8
06-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Which would wash, only it doesn't sound a thing like an ambulance siren and he admitted himself voluntarily. How about, "it's a cool ambient noise effect that Justin's making with this device called a bass guitar"?
Oh, come on, where's the creativity in that? :)

mr. nikki jensen
06-23-2006, 11:36 PM
sounds like bass guitar to me.

yea, i believe so. It might be Justin holding his bass close to an ampfier along with some effects. Brilliant