PDA

View Full Version : King of Bass

troublefunk
06-01-2006, 12:11 AM
I know it's been said, but my fucking god, Justin is fucking amazing on this album... his performance alone is a big reason why this album is so great. Pretty much everyone I talk to who has heard the album out in the real world (where not everyone is a tool head) especially musicians say the same thing- the bass is incredible.

I really consider Justin Chancellor's playing on this album a GIFT to all the bass players out there. Not only his great bassy parts like the opening riff in The Pot and the delayed Jambi riff and the 10,000 days song main part and his heavy as a ton of bricks synch with the drums on the Right in Two breakdown and the beautiful harmonics and snaky low bassline throughout Intension, but he plays parts that don't even SOUND like a bass.

To justify posting this in THE POT section, lets start with his

1. solo in this one at 3:45 to 4:10 or so
2. the high, guitar like break in Vicarious (3:47-4:10)
3. All of lost keys

I thought those parts were guitar or synth, until I saw them live. Mind blowing stuff... he gets his bass to sound like a big fat analog synth. And his tone his better than ever throughout the album.

On the pot solo, just realizing that was a bass did so much for me. This song is probably my least favorite, but just knowing that was bass blew my mind and made me appreciate the song so much more.

I could go on and on listing the other amazing bass parts on this album. I'm not saying he carries the album, but I think its the biggest and best difference between days and previous albums. I'm a guitarist myself, not a bass player, so don't mistake this post as a tool obsessed bassist wanking it just because the bass is doing interesting stuff. I am, however in a band, and I think it's a really inspirational performance. It really redefines what a bass is "supposed to be"- pretty much any time on the album you hear a guitar going and another sound its probalby justin doing something sick. It's so cool that they avoid overdubs yet keep their sound so interesting and varied. Even though Justin is all over the place on the bass, he still holds down the low frequencies with that thick chunky tone. As I've said many times, FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

UFOtofu
06-01-2006, 01:32 PM
You hit it all, man. I do play bass, and you hit it all. This is the best Tool album for bass, and a great album in general for bass players. I've just started learning the bassline. Dropped D tuning. I can make it to ... well, I can't do the whole song yet, so it doesn't matter how far I can go right now, but it is inspiring! JC rules! Thanks to the rest of the band for letting that low end shine through more on this album than in the past. The production in general is awesome. It's all so clear.

Exegesis
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I know it's been said, but my fucking god, Justin is fucking amazing on this album... his performance alone is a big reason why this album is so great. Pretty much everyone I talk to who has heard the album out in the real world (where not everyone is a tool head) especially musicians say the same thing- the bass is incredible.

I really consider Justin Chancellor's playing on this album a GIFT to all the bass players out there. Not only his great bassy parts like the opening riff in The Pot and the delayed Jambi riff and the 10,000 days song main part and his heavy as a ton of bricks synch with the drums on the Right in Two breakdown and the beautiful harmonics and snaky low bassline throughout Intension, but he plays parts that don't even SOUND like a bass.

To justify posting this in THE POT section, lets start with his

1. solo in this one at 3:45 to 4:10 or so
2. the high, guitar like break in Vicarious (3:47-4:10)
3. All of lost keys

I thought those parts were guitar or synth, until I saw them live. Mind blowing stuff... he gets his bass to sound like a big fat analog synth. And his tone his better than ever throughout the album.

On the pot solo, just realizing that was a bass did so much for me. This song is probably my least favorite, but just knowing that was bass blew my mind and made me appreciate the song so much more.

I could go on and on listing the other amazing bass parts on this album. I'm not saying he carries the album, but I think its the biggest and best difference between days and previous albums. I'm a guitarist myself, not a bass player, so don't mistake this post as a tool obsessed bassist wanking it just because the bass is doing interesting stuff. I am, however in a band, and I think it's a really inspirational performance. It really redefines what a bass is "supposed to be"- pretty much any time on the album you hear a guitar going and another sound its probalby justin doing something sick. It's so cool that they avoid overdubs yet keep their sound so interesting and varied. Even though Justin is all over the place on the bass, he still holds down the low frequencies with that thick chunky tone. As I've said many times, FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great post. I do play bass, and I am worshipping this performance of his on this album. He blows away so many bass players that phone in their performances (uh, flea) all the time.

Justin is pushing not only himself further, but the instrument of bass is being pushed to new horizons because of him. I always thought he was really good, but with this new album, he's attained "great" and "classic" status.

There's not a lot of guys that could pull off what he's done on 10K. He has so much feel, and he really understands the what and why of bass, realizing that it is capable of so much more.

I record music where there is no guitar, so I have to do the melodies and harmonies with the bass. with 10K, I have tons of inspiration to draw from!

Exegesis
06-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the great post. I do play bass, and I am worshipping this performance of his on this album. He blows away so many bass players that phone in their performances (uh, flea) all the time.

Justin is pushing not only himself further, but the instrument of bass is being pushed to new horizons because of him. I always thought he was really good, but with this new album, he's attained "great" and "classic" status.

There's not a lot of guys that could pull off what he's done on 10K. He has so much feel, and he really understands the what and why of bass, realizing that it is capable of so much more.

I record music where there is no guitar, so I have to do the melodies and harmonies with the bass. with 10K, I have tons of inspiration to draw from!

Holy Crap! that part in Vicarious IS bass. I didn't even realize it! I just did a similar part in a song 2 days ago. He is seeping through my brain and I didn't even realize it. ahahhahahahaha, what a trip!

This guy is a Bass God.

Bassmingo
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I have to agree, justin is kicking ass on this album and i've been learning some of the songs and they're such good fun to play.

UFO, have a gander at this, its my tab of the pot:

http://www.tooltabs.net/forum_two/viewtopic.php?t=3097

bradpeterson
06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
The Pot's got a great bassline, because it suits the song. It's easy to play too. But it sounds so complex in it's own way.

Id says its harder than a standard 4/4 slap line.

Choice Breath
06-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Barresi deserves considerable praise for capturing Justin's bass so well. The sound on The Pot, in particular, is simply incredible. Maybe the best bass sound I've heard on a song. Very crankable.

ANderz
06-01-2006, 11:41 PM
This may be a little outrageous to say, but I kinda think Justin Chancellor kind of defines a lot of the band's sound. I mean, sure, Danny Carey gives a lot of feel with the whole tribal drum playing, and it just wouldn't be cool without Maynard's voice, but can you imagine Tool if they didn't have Justin? If, say, Scott Reeder, who I seem to remember tried out for the spot, was playing for them in his stead? It wouldn't be the same. It's Justin's wet chug that gives the songs that sick, moist, subterranean feel. It's also his bass that made songs like Disposition and Intension so beautiful. He move from a thick, nasty, low growl to a beatiful, sweeping bass line in just one song. Heck, he does it in Jambi, and in The Pot he almost gets down right funky, in a weird time signature type way. I don't think I'd like Tool nearly as much if they had anyone else. No one but him has that sound. It's perfect for them.

Exegesis
06-02-2006, 05:44 AM
This may be a little outrageous to say, but I kinda think Justin Chancellor kind of defines a lot of the band's sound. I mean, sure, Danny Carey gives a lot of feel with the whole tribal drum playing, and it just wouldn't be cool without Maynard's voice, but can you imagine Tool if they didn't have Justin? If, say, Scott Reeder, who I seem to remember tried out for the spot, was playing for them in his stead? It wouldn't be the same. It's Justin's wet chug that gives the songs that sick, moist, subterranean feel. It's also his bass that made songs like Disposition and Intension so beautiful. He move from a thick, nasty, low growl to a beatiful, sweeping bass line in just one song. Heck, he does it in Jambi, and in The Pot he almost gets down right funky, in a weird time signature type way. I don't think I'd like Tool nearly as much if they had anyone else. No one but him has that sound. It's perfect for them.

Justin has taken TOOL from being a really good band to making them the greatest band. He is the secret ingredient that makes TOOL what they are now.

TOOL without Justin is like Metallica without Cliff Burton. Cliff was the soul of Metallica, and when he died, Metallica slowly died. TOOL wasn't really fully TOOL until justin joined the family. His chemistry is perfect for the group.

With 10K, its the biggest jump in quality and creativity I've ever heard a musician make on their instrument.

Mozeley
06-02-2006, 06:19 AM
O.K, now I've just had it pointed out to me those bits in the Pot and Vicarious are Bass I'm dumbstruck.

That is absolutely fantastic. Fuckidy duck.

CaseLogic
06-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Yeah, just hearing him play all those parts in Vicarious, The Pot, etc that are bass but don't SOUND like it are incredible. More so in The Pot, because in Vicarious it is just distortion at a high octave, which just sounds like guitar. In The Pot, though, when I saw it live, I saw him turn on like 5 pedals to get that sound, it was crazy.

Also, to point out one more, don't forget in Rosetta Stoned, the first break (Strapped Down, In My Bed), that's Justin playing that crazy synth sound.

UFOtofu
06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I have to agree, justin is kicking ass on this album and i've been learning some of the songs and they're such good fun to play.

UFO, have a gander at this, its my tab of the pot:

http://www.tooltabs.net/forum_two/viewtopic.php?t=3097

Dude! You've been busy! Eyeballing it, I think I'm right there with you. I was having some trouble with the timing in the chorus, but I'll try what you've got there. I'm really stoked about trying what you have for 3:11 through the Breakdown. Thanks, man!

CaseLogic
06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Dude! You've been busy! Eyeballing it, I think I'm right there with you. I was having some trouble with the timing in the chorus, but I'll try what you've got there. I'm really stoked about trying what you have for 3:11 through the Breakdown. Thanks, man!

He nailed that tab... I play it now strictly off of that tab.

The only contribution I can add is that I think the verse should be this:

[-----------------------------------------]
[-----------------------------------------]x4
[-------5----------5------------5-------3-]
[-0--0-----0-0--0-----0-0--0-0----0-3-0---]

Just listen to the guitar throughout the song

hunterSthompson
06-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Sorry.. im prolly being ignorant but where is the bass in Lost keys?!

Exegesis
06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Sorry.. im prolly being ignorant but where is the bass in Lost keys?!

the high feedbacky siren sound during the whole track is justins bass!

i saw him do it live.

hunterSthompson
06-02-2006, 10:12 AM
the high feedbacky siren sound during the whole track is justins bass!

i saw him do it live.

:O no way!!!! i never would have thought! does he use his whammy or what to get that high sound?!

Exegesis
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
:O no way!!!! i never would have thought! does he use his whammy or what to get that high sound?!

I'm not sure. i play the instrument, but don't really do many effects like that.

either way, he's a total badass for getting some of the sounds that he does.

i didn't even realize that the part in Vicarious was bass. crazy.

one of my favorite things he does is in Right in Two during the whole melodic intro. He does some harmonic bendy thing over the clean guitar that is really amazing.

Bassmingo
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
one of my favorite things he does is in Right in Two during the whole melodic intro. He does some harmonic bendy thing over the clean guitar that is really amazing.

and this is how you play it...

http://tooltabs.net/forum_two/viewtopic.php?t=3012&sid=b88a9673582462ddaa33378489b02d12

mirvae
06-02-2006, 07:56 PM
i haven't actually tried it, so don't hold me to this, but i can just about guarantee he's got an ebow to achieve those seemingly perpetually sustained notes in lost keys, and his whammy is set to harmonize (probably) an octave up.

Gearhead4life
06-03-2006, 07:51 PM
JC is the greatest bassist ever!

3rd Brown Eye
06-03-2006, 08:13 PM
I loved Justin's playing since way back, but I don't think he is great as far as bass players go. As an ensemble member he's really amazing because they all get time to flex.

It doesn't seem like he's using an e bow but it could be. My guess is that he's in the room with he amp maxed out and getting wicked ass feedback. I've been able to attain similar sounds if I'm close enoug to the amp. That thing will squeal forever eva.