PDA

View Full Version : A moment of greatness

pjfan
05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
This song is obviously very trippy and VERY cool although there is one part that frustrates me no end. There is that part inbetween the 8th to 9th minutes (or thereabouts) where its really melodic and "big" sounding. Its the bit right after Adam's little solo where the music just builds....and builds. I know Tool are not the band ones goes to for big anthemic choruses but its just a fantastic piece of music, and I wish there was more of it on this song. Anyone feel the same way?

M.Luther
05-30-2006, 05:55 PM
I did, but not anymore...i kind of had my fill of it.

pjfan
05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I guess thats why I like APC so much......

tbrent21
05-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Part of the reason the "Overwhelmed . . . . Shit the bed again. Typical." segment of this song is so mindblowing is the eight-plus minutes (not to mention Lost Keys) that dramatically builds up to it in every way. So for this kind of a climax to extend over the whole song (whether lyrically or in terms of the musical components) would, in a way, kill the amazing impact it has there at the 8:30ish mark.

At the very least, to do it any other way would be inconsistent with the mastery that TOOL has developed in terms of pacing and structure of their songs. They were always good at this -- even back on Undertow the way Prison Sex, Bottom, Undertow and others change gears and reach climaxes. They got better at it for example in Stinkfist ("I'll keep digging!") and Ænima (the song) (I want to see the ground give way. . . Don't call me a pessimist, try to read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome a change, my friend. I want to see it go down, flush it down!!"), and nearly perfected it with Lateralus the song (imagine the "spiral out" segment repeating throughout the song as some kind of chorus -- would probably just be a good song, but instead, its an epic masterpiece).

I would venture to say they've perfected their technique of developing song structure here in Rosetta Stoned.