PDA

View Full Version : Lyric correction!

Binary101
05-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I think you'll find the line isn't

Don't wanna be down here *feeding* my narcissism.

But rather:

Don't wanna be down here *soothing* my narcissism.

Take a listen again and you'll notice that *feeding* isn't even remotely correct?

Just thought I'd share that and see if the lyrics get updated.

Mac.

Cid
06-03-2006, 05:24 PM

But rather:

Take a listen again and you'll notice that *feeding* isn't even remotely correct?

Mac.

you are correct sir...

begmetostay
06-03-2006, 07:55 PM
damn dude. You seem absolutely correct.

Janos
06-04-2006, 05:53 AM
I've also noticed that one. In my opinion the lyrics page in TDN should firstly provide a link to the official lyrics and the the "consensus guess" (which is the accurate and "true" version).

BlanketEffect
06-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Heh, I've been singing "soothing" the whole time... now I see it posted as 'feeding'... and this is the official lyric sheet? There's another mistake on the 'official' lyrics of this song, also.

Roadiepat
07-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Its feeding.... I can hear the "E" sound in the word...

SunBurN
08-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Its feeding.... I can hear the "E" sound in the word...

I don't think so..I listened for "feeding" but as I was singing along singing that, it didn't sound right or match up so I listened more intently and found that it is saying "soothing".

And I know what it says on Toolband.com, but still, it sounds nothing like feeding.

BlanketEffect
08-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Yeah, it is 'soothing'. Perhaps there is the illusion of an "E" sound but I can't hear it... and the "S" sound is clear as day.

ShadowLine
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
yea hes right, but you cant expect the website to be 100 per cent correct.

chris
x

Roadiepat
08-12-2006, 03:28 PM
it sounds like soothing because of the chorus effect http://www.toolband.com can't be wrong.

Some Tool songs undergo slight lyrical variations in each performance; Maynard's own typed versions are shown here, uncorrected, to provide you with a straight-from-the-source guide to what he has said / might say next time.

Most of these transcriptions came straight from the Man's computer. How he writes his lyrics/poetry and then translates that into music is up to him. Think of them as photographs; you don't look exactly the same in every picture, but it is still you.

hushypushy
08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
i remember reading somewhere that the lyrics posted to toolshed and to toolband are of the prerelease versions of Lateralus, which were changed a bit for release. like "wear your grudge like a crown OF negativity", for example. where is the of?

AeliusPix
08-13-2006, 01:59 AM
The "Of" has no emphasis on it, rather the opposite. Maynard does that alot. But is is still there.

BlanketEffect
08-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I can't believe you don't notice the 'of' ... didn't take a lyrics sheet for that one to jump out at me...

But so what about what's on toolband. It came from Maynard... that's what he submitted.But if he writes 'feeding' and clearly sings 'soothing' who gives a fuck what it *says* he said. Use your ears. Stop being tools.

(Maynard is allowed to fuck with you a bit, you see?)

hushypushy
08-14-2006, 10:37 PM
i don't hear it. i still don't hear it in H. where he (supposedly says) "i am too connected to you to slip away", i never hear the second "to". i mean, grammatically, it fits. and i kind of imagine that "you" and "to" are one word smudged together, but still.

has anyone read the "official" lyrics to Hooker with a Penis and listened to the song?

i still love what Blair said in the latest Newsletter, in the question of "the reflection lyrics are wrong!"

As for the lyrics to "Reflection", if they're so "easy to understand", remind me why you need them posted?

i didn't check up on the lyrics to Ænima until 2005. why? because i never needed to. i'm not shitting myself that 10kd lyrics aren't out yet because i really, really do not give a shit. for one, i don't need them, and secondly, i bet there will be something wrong with them (see other albums as examples).

BlanketEffect
08-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Heh, yeah... hopefully it's not one of the contended areas of Jambi or Rosetta Stoned or there will be a shitstorm of idiots ranting.

Then again, would you put it past him? Almost seems more like an incentive than a discouragement.

ShadowLine
08-15-2006, 10:58 AM
lyrics ar only 1/4 of a song. people must remember this. the music should speak for most of it. lyrics are the added spice to complete it.

chris
x

BlanketEffect
08-15-2006, 12:49 PM
lyrics ar only 1/4 of a song. people must remember this. the music should speak for most of it. lyrics are the added spice to complete it.

chris
x

I agree in part.

Vocals are 1/4 of a song. They are just another instrument. However, the lyrics carry the message of the song. You can listen to a Tool song and were he just humming the vocals you'd still find it to be an amazing piece of music, but it would not carry the intention and message Maynard/the band so desperately want to share.

So vocals are equal to the rest of the band, but the lyrics themselves make the song what it is or isn't about. Otherwise I could just listen to classical.

The lyrics are *very* important.

ShadowLine
08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
lyrics are important to kind of shape the emotion and pinpoint it i agree, its just i find virtually nill about the music and mostly about the lyrics.

chris
x

BlanketEffect
08-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Well, it's hard to describe the music and share ideas other than to say 'oh, such and such a part @ x:xx in the song gives me chills everytime," but you can't express intentions and meanings and messages in a forum nearly as deeply lyrics.

I mean, what else do you say other than 'the music @ such and such was amazing"... it's not like you can go too far into what the 'intention' of the music was... not nearly to the degree of lyrics, anyway.

tuck
09-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Hmmm....and all this time I thought he was saying "serving"....

I dont want to be down here, serving my narcissism, I...
must crucify the ego, before its far too late.....

and so on. Its seems to make more sense to me if its serving. Why would narcissism need soothing?

There is definitely an 's' sound in the word not an 'f'.

DON IOTAE
09-12-2006, 06:44 AM

But rather:

Mac.

i thought this was a worldwide known fact.

hahaha

youve been misinterpreting the lyrics all this time!!!

:P

BlanketEffect
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
^^ Well, I think the official lyrics say 'feeding' - that's the point he was illustrating, I believe.

eapatty01
09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
yea hes right, but you cant expect the website to be 100 per cent correct.

chris
x

yes you can. "Straight from the man's computer." MJK obviously thought feeding should be the word there instead. The lyrics weren't released the same time the album was you know.

one_reflection
09-20-2006, 04:48 AM
You're right. You can definately hear the 's'. It seems to be like 'sthing'. I also must agree with the fact that the lyrics up on toolband arent correct. First example: Sweat. Writen is "and he's trying to remember when, but it makes him dizzy". I listened over and over and im almost positive its "and IM trying... but it makes ME dizzy".

Anyhow, i guess this isnt about toolband's shortcomings.. but still.
*shrug*

Roadiepat
09-27-2006, 10:42 AM
yes you can. "Straight from the man's computer." MJK obviously thought feeding should be the word there instead. The lyrics weren't released the same time the album was you know.

thank you... he typed feeding, and thats what I'm singing when I jam to the song.. If thats what the man typed.. then thats what he said.. regardless of what it sounds like.. hahaha.... Like I said.. the sounds effects in his voice could make it sound different from what it really is.. yet again... he could have changed his mind after the recording, and changed the words when he was typing them out. but in the end.. what matters. "to me" is what he typed out.. :)

BlanketEffect
09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Instead, why not sing what he sings? Who gives a shit what he typed out for a website to post? Maybe that was what he really wanted to say but at the time he recorded it it was something different. If the internet wasn't around it wouldn't matter, anyway.

If he is singing "soothing" but typed in "feeding" why the hell would you not sing along to "soothing"? I mean, if you were trying to type along with him, sure type "feeding" like he did... but singing... *sigh*

Bleh, whatever, I hope he types a line that says "I'm a fucking sheep bah" on one of the lines when the 10,000 Days officials come out. Will you sing along to that even if it's not what he sings on the recording? I mean, he typed it in, right?

DON IOTAE
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
what does blanketeffect even mean???

lol

Beefle
09-27-2006, 09:48 PM
To me it sounds like "serving my narcissism", not "soothing my narcissism". Not that it matters. Writing one set of lyrics and singing another forces each person to discover their own meaning. I don't care if the "official" lyrics say feeding, or soothing, or anything else. Art is subjective. In my personal version of reality he says "serving my narcissism".

Prison Sex
09-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Ehh, always figured it sounded like, "Swimming in my narcissim", even though I'd seen the official lyrics.

Pala Cósmico
09-28-2006, 07:06 AM
I hear "soothing" as well. Btw, does anyone else hear "I have come curiously close to the end ZONE"?

edit: nvm. i was hallucinating.

BlanketEffect
10-02-2006, 09:22 PM
what does blanketeffect even mean???

lol

Everything.

Torthlert
10-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Yep, soothing for sure.

Tweek
10-03-2006, 01:36 AM
im a new member but ive been a huge tool fan for as long as i can remember and lateralus just happens to be my favorite album... but anyway, although the lyric sheet says "feeding" (written pre-release or not) and he arguably says "soothing" which sounds pretty clear as i listen to it, i dont think it really matters exactly what word it is because when maynard sings, he doesnt focus on complete accuracy in his lyrics but simply what flows from his mind. i was lucky enough to go to one tool concert a few years back and when he sings live, the lyrics change greatly but the song really doesn't change because it really isn't about the exact words used, but more the meaning behind them. i think we can all agree atleast that either way it's a damn good song which is the main reason this is such a large topic thats dragged on for months.

Roadiepat
04-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Its nice to disagree with the writer of the song on what the words are.. makes perfect since

chaotic_confusion
04-15-2008, 09:09 AM
im a new member but ive been a huge tool fan for as long as i can remember and lateralus just happens to be my favorite album... but anyway, although the lyric sheet says "feeding" (written pre-release or not) and he arguably says "soothing" which sounds pretty clear as i listen to it, i dont think it really matters exactly what word it is because when maynard sings, he doesnt focus on complete accuracy in his lyrics but simply what flows from his mind. i was lucky enough to go to one tool concert a few years back and when he sings live, the lyrics change greatly but the song really doesn't change because it really isn't about the exact words used, but more the meaning behind them. i think we can all agree atleast that either way it's a damn good song which is the main reason this is such a large topic thats dragged on for months.

this is the response i was waiting to read from someone.

i remember reading/hearing in interviews that the lyrics of tool are of a living document (but more importantly, they're mostly frame-work), they change at times to better suit the mood, or desired feel, or even the time of performance.

read the undertow lyrics lately? that's how a lot of the songs were performed when they were doing bar shows/demo recordings, etc... words here and there change, and usually for the better, sometimes just for fun ("waffles" during Jambi, perhaps "fuck you in you fucking ass?" in the more contemporary jerk-off).