PDA

View Full Version : The raw emotion

begmetostay
05-30-2006, 04:31 AM
I have just sat back and thought exactly what this song means. It is a conversation that maynard is having with his mother. He is not singing to us or anyone in this. He is simply allowing us into a conversation he had with his mom before she died or one that he wishes he had. I am refering mostly to the ending half of the song of course as in the beginning I'm not sure if he is talking to her as much as he is letting us know what he is thinking prior to telling her.

The first part I interpret is this:

High as a wave
But I'll rise on up off the ground.
You are the light and the way
They'll only read about
I only pray heaven knows
When to lift you out

10000 days in the fire is long enough.
You're going home...

"High as a wave
But I'll rise on up off the ground. "
Either is saying he is high or has that feeling. Either way he must rise to the occation and say this
"You are the light and the way
Your all they read about "
You tried your best and you achieved it. Following god perfectly. They only read about the light and the way (or read about her,. What an honoring statement).
"I only pray heaven knows
When to lift you out ."
He tells her he only prays that heaven will know when to end her torment and her tests (trials and tribulations, mentioned earlier).
"10000 days in the fire is long enough.
You're going home... "
maynard tells her - I think that this is long enough or has been long enough you can go to heaven now or he thinks heaven will let her go now.

He then tells her what he really thinks she should tell god upon meeting him. (quite forceful statements really).

Next lyrics I interpret:

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers.
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence,
Judith Marie, unconditional one.

"Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance"
Many times that is said by younger people to older people. Here maynard is saying that about his self. It indicates also that he wants to believe in god but can't quite get there.
"Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers."
It is his problem that he has to find proof for everything. She need not worry about that because of her faith.
"You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence,"
You are (his mom) the "burden of proof" that he needs to know god exists. Now whether maynard really believes this or whether he is just telling his mom that I don't know but I have my own theory on that based on further lyrics.
"Judith Marie, unconditional one."
He singles her out and says endless or not limited (compliment)

Last set of lyrics I interpret:

Daylight dims leaving cool flourescence.
Difficult to see you in this light.
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your maker's face tonight
Look him in the eye
Look him in the eye and tell him
I never lived a lie, never took a life,
But surely saved one
Hallejullah,
It's time for you to bring me home.

"Daylight dims leaving cool flourescence."
Remember that he has said she is the light. As she fades (dies) she leaves a glow.
"Difficult to see you in this light."
Look mom your going away but.....
"Please forgive this bold suggestion"
I have to tell you this and I'm going to be blunt.
"Should you see your maker's face tonight
Look him in the eye
Look him in the eye and tell him
I never lived a lie, never took a life,
But surely saved one "
When you see god tonight you look bravely into his face. Tell him you did as he instructed. In fact you saved ME. That blew me away as he is telling his mom before she goes that she saved him (physically or spiritually. You can decide but I think he is refering to spiritually.) Now before I also said that I wasn't sure if he was just telling his mom that or if it is actually what maynard thinks to. Because maynard says that she should look into gods face I would say maynard is just telling her that. Looking into gods face is a big no no in most religions as it is an insult to god as he must be superior to everyone. When he says she can look god in the face as an equal.... that is far to much. I would say maynard isn't really "saved" as his mother would consider saved. He tells her that anyway though.
"Hallejullah,
It's time for you to bring me home."
Maynard ends their conversation assuring her that she has saved him. It's time for her to go and he will see her soon in heaven.

Now I think this is what you could call "sweet." Maynards last words to mom before she goes. It is a sad thing that she is going but maynard has made his peace and he wants to tell her some things before she leaves him. Much of what was said was him reassuring her and concern for her. Is maynard really saved by his mothers standards? Well we don't know, maynard never addresses us after he ends the conversation with mom.

beautiful huh guys......

This is by a friend of begmetostay as I cannot seem to get an account yet.

Thanks guys.

begmetostay
05-30-2006, 04:34 AM
By the way I am not religious. I'm agnostic, if that makes a deference.

flyingsoot
06-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Great post!

flyingsoot
06-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Who else but tool can write such special songs? heh