PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Jimmy

Zenith
04-12-2003, 08:31 AM
I just recently put together a 2 disc compilation of what I felt represented the best tool material. I'm trying to send it to my friends who haven't listened to the band to give them an opportunity to "see the light". Basically what I did was center in on key songs that showcased Maynard's lyrical story progression from abuse to torment to anger to understanding and acceptance and then finally to redemption. Here is the order of the songs...

1. Undertow
2. Prison Sex
3. jimmy
4. Reflection
5. Intolerance
6. 4 Degrees
7. Cold and Ugly
8. You Lied
9. Crawl Away
10. H.
11. Pushit
12. Jerk-Off
13. Hooker with a Penis
14. Ticks and Leeches
15. Forty-Six & 2
16. Parabol
17. Parabola
18. Third Eye
19. Lateralus

So, where does Jimmy come in to this story?

Here are my thoughts...

First off and most important.

A. Jimmy is obviously Maynard.
B. The number eleven is his age.
C. Maynard's mother is "she" in stanza 2.

What was it like to see
The face of your own stability
Suddenly look away
Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?

Okay. I think stanza 1 is petty clear. Someone has left. I am going to say that this first stanza is about Jimmy's dad being left by Jimmy and his mom.

Eleven and she was gone.
Eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,
Waiting for me to free him
By coming home.

Well, I'm saying that eleven is the age that Jimmy was when she left home. In the line "eleven is standing still", Jimmy can' t move, can't age. He is stuck. He'll be eleven forever. The moment is standing still.
It seems to me that the line "waiting for me to free him by coming home" talks about Jimmy's father being all alone and suffering because his family has dissapeard.

Moving me with a sound.
Opening me within a gesture.
Drawing me down and in,
Showing me where it all began,
Eleven.

I am thinking that Maynard's abuse began soon after his mother took him away from his father.

It took so long to realize that
You hold the light that's been leading me back home.

Now Maynard realizes that his father is the light and all he wants is to get home.

Under a dead ohio sky,
Eleven has been and will be waiting,
Defending his light,
And wondering...
Where the hell have I been?
Sleeping, lost, and numb.
So glad that I have found you.
I am wide awake and heading home.

This stanza is all about action and conflict. "Under a dead ohio sky". Maynard lived in ohio as a boy. Since his dad has lived in Michigan all his life, and Maynard only keeps in contact w/ his father. I am assuming this is where his mother moved him. At this point eleven stands for the union between father and son. Maynard gets pissed and decides to make the journey to head back home to his dad.

Hold your light,
Eleven.
Lead me through each gentle step by step
by inch by loaded memory.

Let this union between father and son give Maynard the abilty to escape Ohio, both mentally, emotionally and physically. "Lead me through each gentle step by step, by inch by loaded memory". "Loaded memory" is a false memory. Maybe he wants to forget what he has just gone through, or maybe his mother has been filling his head with lies about his father that aren't true and he needs the courage of their union to ignore them.

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together.

Maynard is so torn apart inside that he can't run until the pain ends. However, he is going to try very soon so father and son can reunite and move on together.

Hold your light,
Eleven. Lead me through each gentle step by step
By inch by loaded memory
'till one and one are one, eleven,
So glow, child, glow.

I'm heading back home.

Once again, as long as the union between father and son stays strong, Jimmy/Maynard will have the courage to leave Ohio and his mother and the abuse to make it back home to his father and become one again...

Finally he makes the decision to go.

I really like how the union of 11 meaning father and son playing a role of cosmic energy in this song. Very powerful in deed.

If you've read this far and would like a copy of the discs I put together, send me an e-mail to [email protected]

I'll need you to send blanks and postage.

Peace,

Zenith

GreatPhil
05-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Thats i think as spot on as it gets.

Good Job!

Genatalia
05-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Very interesting, My thoughts on the song were very similar as far as year 11 being a tragic time for his family but I think that he is talking about his childhood being what he had lost. I believe he is talking about his inner child holding the light. It could most definatly be either one, or neither.
To bad we will most likely never know the truth!

Merkaba
05-22-2003, 05:12 PM
i dont know if the facts you stated were true, because maynard hasnt revealed much of his past (or i havent heard it). but if they are true, good work. when i first heard the song i thought of it as a song about a journey, kind of like the tool version of the odyssey...i definately thought that it was about a young maynard...

SteveBonus
06-25-2003, 06:29 PM
I think you're right that the song has something to do with a tragic or difficult time for Maynard and his family - most notably his mother. But I come to this conclusion based on the first line from the obituary of Maynard's mother, which states: "Judith Marie “Judy” Garrison, 59, of Dover, and a former resident of Ravenna, died Wednesday, Jun. 18, 2003, of complications from a brain aneurysm suffered twenty-seven years ago."

27 years ago, Maynard would have been 11, thus I believe that the song has something to do with his mom's aneurysm and its affect on he and his family at the time. Just a thought.

APerfectTool624
07-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Damn good research there. And damn good interpretation of the song!

rebecca22
07-17-2003, 12:50 PM
A. Jimmy is obviously not Maynard. jimmy means 11:11
B. The number eleven is not his age. it represents 1111
C. Maynard's mother is not the only "she" in stanza 2. she represents that the message is for both sexes.

What was it like to see
Suddenly look away

Left here on earth by the creator.

Eleven and she was gone.

Not about age, but about seeing 11:11 on the clock, or reciept, or license plates, and so on while something is happening in your life.

waiting for me to free him by
coming home.

Lucifer, the light-bearer, is waiting for his lightworkers to come home to him again.

Moving me with a sound.
Drawing me down and in,
Eleven.

Nothing about abuse. it's about finding the encoded message of the calling inside yourself, to find the source of creation.

You are the voice that's been
calling me back home.

Not a house home, but home to our creator who calls us with 11:11.

Under a dead ohio sky,
Defending his light,

the light bearer, defending his side.

And wondering...

awakend by seeing the 11:11, and finding for yourself what it means.

Hold your light,
Eleven.

Loaded memory, is the memory of the truth locked inside you, dormit until you hear his call, 11:11 and he'll lead you through the truth if you reply.

I'll move to heal

All who hear the call.

Hold your light,
By inch by loaded memory
'till one (one) and one (and one) are one, (and one) (plus) eleven,

obviously, there is an ecco, double effect. He's telling you straight up. 11:11.

So glow, child, grow up.
I'm heading back home.

back home through the Merkaba.

If you see 11:11, WAKEUP!

Elgyn
07-31-2003, 05:04 PM
I like Zenith's interpretation.
It borders on what I've always thought, as things being a journey.
And to me it seems logical that Jimmy is Maynard... Jimmy being a nickname for James.

Perhaps I've missed something in your post rebecca, but what does 11:11 or 1111 mean...? If it has some kind of significance, enlighten me. I'm having trouble finding a connection at the moment.

rebecca22
08-01-2003, 12:52 PM
"Perhaps I've missed something in your post rebecca, but what does 11:11 or 1111 mean...? If it has some kind of significance, enlighten me. I'm having trouble finding a connection at the moment.[/QUOTE]"

If your looking for a full definition, I suggest you type in 11:11 into a search engine. There are many sites and pages of other peoples opinions. You can read through and decide for yourself.

I can see how people which don't know anything about the symbol may dismiss this idea as just another story about a guy named "jimmy". If you don't understand the signifigance of symbols, you will have trouble understanding alot of Tool songs.

g-bay-be
08-03-2003, 11:43 AM
I think you're right that the song has something to do with a tragic or difficult time for Maynard and his family - most notably his mother. But I come to this conclusion based on the first line from the obituary of Maynard's mother, which states: "Judith Marie “Judy” Garrison, 59, of Dover, and a former resident of Ravenna, died Wednesday, Jun. 18, 2003, of complications from a brain aneurysm suffered twenty-seven years ago."

27 years ago, Maynard would have been 11, thus I believe that the song has something to do with his mom's aneurysm and its affect on he and his family at the time. Just a thought.

hey thats amazing... Tool always encorporates many other types of hidden message/ coincidences... I agree with zeniths interpretation... yet I believe that 11 is a magic number... like in rebbecas post... 11 holds alot of mysterious poswers

rebecca22
08-05-2003, 11:04 AM

Maynard James Keenan was born 4-17-1964
39-27=12
at least you tried.

Tantobourne
08-23-2003, 05:47 PM
A. Jimmy is obviously not Maynard. jimmy means 11:11

I'm fond of the idea that Jimmy/James Maynard Keenan is indeed Jimmy.

In whole I see it as a reflection of poignant times of his past where his learning and growth was interrupted. At that age something altered his life enough to prevent 'natural' growth, if there is such a thing.

We all seek to reconcile our current selves with quandric instances in our own past. Well...perhaps not all. Some of us do a damned good job of keeping it buried.

Perhaps in the veing of 'third eye', instead of meeting his higher-self, he's reconciling with his former self, his child.... 'till one and one are one'.

Before we can truly evolve we must complete the process of involution. We must ground ourselves and 'know ourselves' before we can push forth and effectively act on the world around us, to transcend. He's 'pulling the pieces from the sand' in this song.

Now as far as the whole 11:11 thing goes, sure you can apply that to the song but I highly doubt that it was the main driving thought when the lyrics were penned.

I'm not saying that the 11:11 association is 'wrong' I'm merely suggesting that it wasn't foremost or the active catalyst.

paraflux
08-25-2003, 01:28 PM
I am with you Tant. Although the 11:11 theory is interesting, it doesnt pop up as the first thing in my mind, and it certainly isnt "obvious." Now, I do like the chimes in the verses that make it sound like a grandfather clock of sorts, and I have thought there might be something about 11:00, but I never made sense of that trail.

PRNinja23
09-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Hold your light,
Eleven.

<<<<Let this union between father and son give Maynard the abilty to escape Ohio, both mentally, emotionally and physically. "Lead me through each gentle step by step, by inch by loaded memory". "Loaded memory" is a false memory.>>>>

I don't think a loaded memory is a false memory, but an emotionally loaded memory. Reuniting with a former self is a process where one must feel the emotions associated with the memory. No matter what, if you don't feel the emotions associated with an experience, that memory remains in your body, loading you down with suffering until the memory is resolved. I assume this song aludes to "breaking the cycles of abuse" in Prison Sex where the abuse.

The scenario replays itself over and over again, leaving him "sleeping, lost, and numb" in an emotional darkness. The part of him that endured that experience remained 11 years old until it is broken out of the cycle when light is shone on it. To fully resolve the experience, the light must touch each step of the way.

sinikal
09-05-2003, 02:31 AM

This is interesting when coupled with the Perfect Circle song Judith "Fuck your god...he left you this way..broken down and paralyzed..." Looks like we have some real insight into Maynard's "falling out" with the christian religion; apparently it was at age 11.

rebecca22
09-13-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm fond of the idea that Jimmy/James Maynard Keenan is indeed Jimmy.

In whole I see it as a reflection of poignant times of his past where his learning and growth was interrupted. At that age something altered his life enough to prevent 'natural' growth, if there is such a thing.

We all seek to reconcile our current selves with quandric instances in our own past. Well...perhaps not all. Some of us do a damned good job of keeping it buried.

Perhaps in the veing of 'third eye', instead of meeting his higher-self, he's reconciling with his former self, his child.... 'till one and one are one'.

Before we can truly evolve we must complete the process of involution. We must ground ourselves and 'know ourselves' before we can push forth and effectively act on the world around us, to transcend. He's 'pulling the pieces from the sand' in this song.

Now as far as the whole 11:11 thing goes, sure you can apply that to the song but I highly doubt that it was the main driving thought when the lyrics were penned.

I'm not saying that the 11:11 association is 'wrong' I'm merely suggesting that it wasn't foremost or the active catalyst.

Really? is it also hard for you to notice that Danny Carey also made a song called Merkaba? Hmmm, what could that mean? Type it into a search engine and you will see sites refering to the Merkaba as a gateway, part of the 1111 phenomena... Why is it hard for people to see that Tool may not be basing their songs on simle human everyday life? I for one can see that they have a deep interest in otherwise.

InfectedCabbage
09-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi. I'm new to this page and will probably not post anymore after this.

I actually stumbled upon this page because I was searching for meaning for the song Jimmy. And the meaning which I was 100% certain it had was Rebecca's interpretation. However, nobody here seems to understand the signifance of the number 11. Do what she says and type it into a search engine.

This song has had very concrete meaning for me since the very first time I had heard it. It was so obvious to me, while all of you struggle to understand it (no sarcasm/offense intended)..

Lisence plates, digital clocks, etc. etc. I don't know what it means, but I think it is highly spiritual. And no, I'm not a lunatic and I'm not religious in the slightest. It's the only thing in my life I've ever considered spiritual. And it's only because of I have seen 11:11 daily (*every* day) on digital clocks . I don't want to draw this out too much, but I must emphasize the frequency which I see this everywhere. And if you think I just have "subconscious good timing" forget about it. A friend told me exactly that. As he turned back around in his passenger seat in my car at the gas station, my pump stopped at 11.111 gallons.

So, like anyone else would do if they saw 11:11 everywhere enough to where it freaked them out (for me it was 7 years, at least once a day.. I'm 21 now), they type it into a search engine.

And what do I find out.. Well, a ton of stuff. Among the ton of stuff was significant information about "11" holding light & having huge significance in numerology, which is something I know nothing about at all.

I looked around and gathered a variety of opinions, because some of the pages are pretty wacky. I came away with this: focus your thoughts when you see 11. It'll take you "home" as maynard said.

I see "home" as your vocation, meaning in life, purpose, what is "right" and if you ever lose your way, then follow 11. Strangely enough, and it does sound strange, my has taken a positive turn (most of the time), and I use it to help me make decisions that benefit me.

So, I hope I made sense. I also hope no one thinks I'm a looney. Because I'm figuring it out too, and if you woke up at 11:11 on consecutive days, you would start to notice. Especially if you go out that day, come home late, open the door to your dark room and the only light is coming from a digital clock that says 1:11. I feel like saying "Hi, eleven. Goodnight."

My purpose was to help out Rebecca and support her interpretation. Because I felt that way long before I ever found this discussion online.

Thank you,

Joe

Thrakandor
09-20-2003, 04:46 AM
It's about reunification.

One and one are one - reunited.

1 - 1 - 11 - one and one are one.

reddish
09-20-2003, 02:37 PM
The last total solar eclipse was on July 11, 1991.

"Mexico City was bracing itself for a one off natural event, a total solar eclipse, this was to occur on July 11th 1991. The people of Mexico were fascinated and the intention of many of the inhabitants was to view and personally experience this most unique and awsesome spectacle. Anticipating the eclispe, many people had been preparing to record the events with their camcorders and cameras. As the eclipse inevitably proceeded it was discovered that about a dozen people (unknowingly) had caught, on video, some bizarre objects in the background of their film alongside the eclipse. The objects looked like small points of light and had in fact been recorded from different locations, angles and times around the city, which suggested that these were unlikely to be stars or planets as these could be checked by comparing all the films."- secrethour.com

The last total solar eclipse was on July 11, 1991. It was over mexico, where the mayans and aztec once lived, and built pyramids. During the eclipse a strange object appeared in the sky.

I don't know if it was a spaceship and I don't care. That's not the point, so don't even think about it right now.

Whatever was in the sky would have been there had the solar elcipse not occured. The solar eclipse is important becuase it had everyone's eyes pointed up.

The eleven becomes a more commonly seen sight not because it is more common, but because you notice it and look for it.

If you need more proof look at this picture of a man a woman making love: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/dirtymind.jpg
Now look at this picture of nine dolphins:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/dirtymind.jpg

Summary:
Seeing an eleven won't make you a better person, thinking your becoming a better person will make you see an eleven.

soul tapp
10-04-2003, 08:30 PM
I believe everyone in this room failed to realize that the songs were written in 94 or 95. He would have only been like 8 or even younger. This song wasn't written in 2003. It isn't mathematical genius to figure that out.

neochrist
10-04-2003, 10:21 PM
ill just point out one thing.....maynard JAMES keenan, and what is jimmy short for.....i think its james.......thats all im saying, and i think both of you assume to much, just as mstajduh said

rebecca22
10-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi. I'm new to this page and will probably not post anymore after this.

I actually stumbled upon this page because I was searching for meaning for the song Jimmy. And the meaning which I was 100% certain it had was Rebecca's interpretation. However, nobody here seems to understand the signifance of the number 11. Do what she says and type it into a search engine.

This song has had very concrete meaning for me since the very first time I had heard it. It was so obvious to me, while all of you struggle to understand it (no sarcasm/offense intended)..

Lisence plates, digital clocks, etc. etc. I don't know what it means, but I think it is highly spiritual. And if you think I just have "subconscious good timing" forget about it. A friend told me exactly that. As he turned back around in his passenger seat in my car at the gas station, my pump stopped at 11.111 gallons.

I looked around and gathered a variety of opinions, because some of the pages are pretty wacky. I came away with this: focus your thoughts when you see 11. It'll take you "home" as maynard said.

My purpose was to help out Rebecca and support her interpretation. Because I felt that way long before I ever found this discussion online.

Thank you,

Joe

Thank you, Joe. I'm glad you support me. You have heard the call. 11:11 is a request of you and an option. You have a choice. In the era we have been born into, This new world, we are the children of the light, the lightworkers. We can choose to either be part of it, or close our minds, sit back and do nothing until we die, or, be a sheep, and believe only what we hear from our leaders. what have you choosen to do? By the way, it's good to keep a log of your communications with the gateway, like when, where, what time (if you see 1111 on a license plate, gas pump and it's not 11:11 am or pm) who you were with, what your were saying or thinking. It may just add up when you read back the log to yourself.

nooneisinnocent
10-20-2003, 03:12 PM
The more I read about this 11:11 and 1:11 phenomenon, the more it makes sense to me. Thanks for that interpretation....and for referring me to the album section.

And I just remembered that I was born at exactly 1:11am April 4, 1985. Not that it really has any significance, but I have never recognized 11 in my daily life....I have always related to the number 4....and it has always brought me luck. Great post though.

AllforUnity
10-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Soul Trapp...what are you talking about? Who would be 11? Please explain...

AllforUnity
10-31-2003, 12:08 PM
The song never says 11:11...it only says 11 more than one time.

rebecca22
10-31-2003, 01:47 PM
The song never says 11:11...it only says 11 more than one time.

Come on, have you actually listened to the song, perhaps on an audio system of good quality? 11:11 is repeated numerous times! As Tool is interested in the mysteries, they have reapeated 11:11 in an echo, when Maynard says till' one (one) and one, (one) are one (are one) eleven so... 11 and 11 are 11 11 so...

Read again: 11 and 11, are 11 11 ! so...!

thats eleven eleven eleven eleven... and it is repeated through the song like when he says eleven is standing still (whisper: waiting for me) waiting for me to free her by coming ho o o o o o o o o o me.
Do you get it now?

Mslash68
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Rebecca

I think you are a crazy biatch trying to push your thoughts on other people. If someone wants to stay in th dark about how things YOU perceive are, then let them stay blind.
People like to think the way they think.

Now, I have not heard of this 11:11 thing before, but I will check it out.

But just because YOU think that this is the way it is.
Sometimes the simplest answer IS the correct one, not everything has 20 layers.

That is what is so great about this band.

I adore your passion, just please... direct it in a more helpful and caring way.

If not, then shut the F up already

barbeque
11-17-2003, 09:02 AM
The more I read about 11:11, the more I laugh my ass of at this pathetic excuse for a new age belief system. I have yet to read anything founded on coherent thought or even remotely scientific regarding 11:11, apart from the criticism of physicists, psychologists and mathematicians. None of it can be demonstrated. (If anyone does has proof based on something even remotely scientific, I'll be excited to come back here and stick my foot in my mouth)

Stop looking for justifications. Live your life to the fullest. Become a better person according to your own volition. You don't need a guide, a gateway, or special numbers to set you "free". Live, work hard, play harder, love, breed, grow... or not! Do your own thing. Down with the gods, be your own master!

Whether Maynard based the song on 11:11 or not, I don't know. I accept the fact that there are similiarities. But if he did, I would be sorely disappointed.

imtheism
11-17-2003, 11:42 AM
i'm going with BBQ and definitely reddish on this one

Why do you notice 11:11? BECAUSE ITS UNIQUE. Humans pick up on things that are unique - it's hardwired into our genetics. That's what makes us able to decypher things so quickly and with such accuracy. Eventually, after picking up on something unique a couple times, it starts to act as a cue mechanism in our memories, at which point we'll pick up on it even more as we start to look for it/think about it.

like bbq said, any person from a scientific standpoint will tell you this is bullshit, and offer a perfectly valid reason as to why you see 11:11 more often than 'other' numbers. Believing them or not is your own choice.

barbeque
11-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Why do you notice 11:11? BECAUSE ITS UNIQUE. Humans pick up on things that are unique - it's hardwired into our genetics. That's what makes us able to decypher things so quickly and with such accuracy. Eventually, after picking up on something unique a couple times, it starts to act as a cue mechanism in our memories, at which point we'll pick up on it even more as we start to look for it/think about it.

Ah. This reminds me of when I was 14 and read "The Amityville Horror". It is a horror story (doh) about a family who lives in a house haunted by the ghosts of the previous occupants. The occupants were all murdered by the father, who woke up in the middle of the night, precisely at 3:15am, and decided to make a salami and roast-beef special with his wife and kids, and tops it off by eating his 12 guage shot-gun. Fun stuff!

Anyway, the father of the new inhabiting family starts to wake-up consistently at 3:15am, every single night. As he does, he begings to take on the less charming personality traits of the ghost father.

The book was so scary that I started having a hard time going to sleep. As a matter of fact, I started waking up in the middle of the night. Can you guess what time I woke up EVERY NIGHT for about a week?

No. You idiots! It was not at 11:11. It was at 3:15am. :)

The point being that the mind is a very complex and somewhat poorly understood organ. The power of suggestion (self or induced) can go a loooong way.

Mis 2 centavos. Gracias.

Tantobourne
11-17-2003, 09:52 PM
I went to 7-11 today to pick up a pack of smokes and it tripped me out because when I was going to open the door I saw the reflection of the big sign in the glass and...the 11. so I turned around and looked at the sign and there it was...11 again. I swished my head back and forth from the reflection to the sign and for a split section I saw 11:11. Then I went inside and bought my smokes and a couple lottery tickets and on each ticket there was the number 11.

Yup. No lie.

If I win the lottery I'll be pretty damned convinced that it was indeed a sign.

Blasphemers....

barbeque
11-18-2003, 05:25 PM
...If I win the lottery I'll be pretty damned convinced that it was indeed a sign...

Call me crazy, but I don't think that's the kind of sign the lightworkers had in mind. Although if 11:11 is the gateway to winning the lotto, you can count me in. :P

rebecca22
11-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Rebecca

I think you are a crazy biatch trying to push your thoughts on other people. If someone wants to stay in th dark about how things YOU perceive are, then let them stay blind.
People like to think the way they think.

Now, I have not heard of this 11:11 thing before, but I will check it out.

But just because YOU think that this is the way it is.
Sometimes the simplest answer IS the correct one, not everything has 20 layers.

That is what is so great about this band.

I adore your passion, just please... direct it in a more helpful and caring way.

If not, then shut the F up already

Fuck your small minded ideals. If people want to stay close minded to all this, that's their problem, but I will not shut the fuck up and sit back while all you fucking sleeping sheep are lead to slaughter, I'm gonna make it as hard as possible for your murderers, even if your ignorance causes you to deserve that freindly blow to the head.

Youv'e never heard of it before, exactly. So do some fucking research instead of drawing up blind opinions on the subject.

wake up and fight the new world order.
http:www.infowars.com/Video/ps3/ps3_teaser.WMV

rebecca22
11-22-2003, 12:16 PM
The more I read about 11:11, the more I laugh my ass of at this pathetic excuse for a new age belief system. I have yet to read anything founded on coherent thought or even remotely scientific regarding 11:11, apart from the criticism of physicists, psychologists and mathematicians. None of it can be demonstrated. (If anyone does has proof based on something even remotely scientific, I'll be excited to come back here and stick my foot in my mouth)

Stop looking for justifications. Live your life to the fullest. Become a better person according to your own volition. You don't need a guide, a gateway, or special numbers to set you "free". Live, work hard, play harder, love, breed, grow... or not! Do your own thing. Down with the gods, be your own master!

Whether Maynard based the song on 11:11 or not, I don't know. I accept the fact that there are similiarities. But if he did, I would be sorely disappointed.

I'm sure the disinformers who dubbed the 1111 "new age" are laughing their asses off at you writing it off like they want you to.
There are MANY interperatations of the 1111 from a scientific standpoint, but I doubt your lazy ass even looked up any before your post. There are many manufactured oppositions out there, for example, republicans and democrats being two sides of the same coin, duh.

Sometimes the line between spirituality and science is not so clear. Sometimes science isn't as plain and simple as some see it.

For example, If you look at the world at an atomic level, what makes up an atom, there are all sorts of oddities and so called impossibilities going on. Some that seem to defy our veiw of dimensions and even time itself. They can be compared at our level to the act of walking through a solid wall, or being at two or more places a the same exact time. So don't be so quick to define all by the guidelines of science, remember science was created out of spiritualism, and always will be the pursuit of finding spiritualism in the form of matter. As quoted from third eye,
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is really energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one conciousness expiriencing itself subjectively."

The 1111 symbolizes a return to that one conciousness, and at some levels, evolving into a more understanding and clearly communicating being.

I am living my life to the fullest and becoming a better person, but freedom isn't as free and simple as you have put it. It is becoming clearer and clearer that our very freedom that you ironically speak so freely of is slowly being taken from us each day under your nose in the form of politics, bills, regulations, corporations, ext. It's not so easy to be your own master living behind the fences of tyranny. Maybe if you woke up as well, and woke up a couple of your freinds and so on, we wouldn't have to worry about freedom so much.

I don't think Maynard alone wrote this song. From the way it is played, I hear all of the members putting out the same vibration.
You would be sorely dissapointed? What for!? Because the members and freinds of Tool have educated themselves in these great areas?! I highly respect Tool for using there time and talent in life to research and discover these highly important magikal occurances. I am sure Tool is way more dissapointed in their close minded so called fans!

rebecca22
11-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Ah. This reminds me of when I was 14 and read "The Amityville Horror". It is a horror story (doh) about a family who lives in a house haunted by the ghosts of the previous occupants. The occupants were all murdered by the father, who woke up in the middle of the night, precisely at 3:15am, and decided to make a salami and roast-beef special with his wife and kids, and tops it off by eating his 12 guage shot-gun. Fun stuff!

Anyway, the father of the new inhabiting family starts to wake-up consistently at 3:15am, every single night. As he does, he begings to take on the less charming personality traits of the ghost father.

The book was so scary that I started having a hard time going to sleep. As a matter of fact, I started waking up in the middle of the night. Can you guess what time I woke up EVERY NIGHT for about a week?

No. You idiots! It was not at 11:11. It was at 3:15am. :)

The point being that the mind is a very complex and somewhat poorly understood organ. The power of suggestion (self or induced) can go a loooong way.

Mis 2 centavos. Gracias.

You can keep your two cents. Whos the idiot? Your the one who got so scared and brainwashed by a cheesy low budget flick.
HAHAHA!

Suggestion, subliminal messages and brainwashing are put out by greedy men, but the 1111 is a purity in any form put out by the one. Don't mix your drinks.

reddish
11-22-2003, 02:11 PM
I understand that and most of the 1111 stuff. I did a Google search and someone bought me very useless book about it as a gift. I think you just put far too much importance on the number 1111. I doubt you'll agree with me on that.

I think his parents were the main idea behind the lyrics because of the title of the album and the track pushit. Pushit sounds, to me, like it's about being in a bad relationship with someone, but not being able to or wanting to get out. Anima (i think that's how it's spelled) is a term Carl Young used to decribe the femenine part of a person's mind that many males repress. I don't have the time to write it all down, but you probably know something about it anyway. If not just do google a search, or you might find something at a library.

Elgyn
11-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Since reading your interpretation a few months back Rebecca, I've noticed 1111 popping up in many areas of my life, and I have since seen an interview with Maynard where he speaks about Synchronicity, in the form of numbers. I read through a lot of websites relating to the phenomenom. It's very interesting stuff, but I can't help but remain scepticle, because it all sounds so similar to a fairy tale. You may say I'm in denial of the call, and that I'm not yet ready to leave the constructs of reality and time which are so familiar to me, but who can say?

I think if you believe something enough, it eventually becomes true. If you've ever see the movie Pi, you'll understand how I'm reminded of this, in that the protagnist of the film begins to search desperately for a 2## digit number. He is reminded by his mentor that if he searches hard enough, in his own mind he can find anything.

If you've found truth for yourself, I'm not trying to discredit or dispute that. I'm just weighing up the particulars in my own mind.

There have been occasions when I've seen 11:11 on my car sterio, and have thought "so, its time for some change", and within minutes/hours, I have begun to head back up the spiral. Thanks for explaining your idea, it's certainly given me - and still is giving me - a lot to think about.

--------

On a related note, in my web travels I discovered something interesting. I went to http://www.fusionanomaly.net and typed in 11:11 in their search engine. It came up with a link to the band Devo. So thinking I might as well pursue it, I went forth and read a little about them. I learned that Devo once released a song titled "Jimmy"... Now, what was the name of Maynard's alleged son again?

It sure did spin me out.

rebecca22
12-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Since reading your interpretation a few months back Rebecca, I've noticed 1111 popping up in many areas of my life, and I have since seen an interview with Maynard where he speaks about Synchronicity, in the form of numbers. I read through a lot of websites relating to the phenomenom. It's very interesting stuff, but I can't help but remain scepticle, because it all sounds so similar to a fairy tale. You may say I'm in denial of the call, and that I'm not yet ready to leave the constructs of reality and time which are so familiar to me, but who can say?

I think if you believe something enough, it eventually becomes true. If you've ever see the movie Pi, you'll understand how I'm reminded of this, in that the protagnist of the film begins to search desperately for a 2## digit number. He is reminded by his mentor that if he searches hard enough, in his own mind he can find anything.

If you've found truth for yourself, I'm not trying to discredit or dispute that. I'm just weighing up the particulars in my own mind.

There have been occasions when I've seen 11:11 on my car sterio, and have thought "so, its time for some change", and within minutes/hours, I have begun to head back up the spiral. Thanks for explaining your idea, it's certainly given me - and still is giving me - a lot to think about.

--------

On a related note, in my web travels I discovered something interesting. I went to http://www.fusionanomaly.net and typed in 11:11 in their search engine. It came up with a link to the band Devo. So thinking I might as well pursue it, I went forth and read a little about them. I learned that Devo once released a song titled "Jimmy"... Now, what was the name of Maynard's alleged son again?

It sure did spin me out.

People who haven't heard of the 1111 phenomena also see the number often, and will either think it's odd and wait a long while before researching it, or will block it out completely over a fear of being obsessive compulsive or maybe even thought of as "odd".

Whatever the matter, it's up to the individual to step through to the other side. It matters less what others tell you than to know it for your self.

"PI" is a great example of a simular path. Kabbalaism, as mentioned in the movie, is utilized to express the name of god, the infinity number, the pattern to all life. The simularity is in the connection of the "one" in everything that is seen as being "individual".

It is diffucult for many to believe that everything wich makes them an individual, all of their thoughts, emotions, life expiriences, so on, is a way for the collective life force, or one, to expirience itself subjectively.

People often want to feel supirior to other people, animals, things, They may keep it deep inside and hide it from others, but it is there. A selfish desire to rule. To be the most important. Inversion.

To believe that you are truely the same and equal to the next person, you are both part of the same life, you are an individual inside of yourself, though you can't possible survive without the support of the whole, is hard. But this is ultimately the point then, isn't it. The ultimate test.

rebecca22
12-03-2003, 06:20 PM
By the way,

I encourage everyone out there to research the nwo on their own. This is a dangerous time. All the peices are coming together for them now. There is in fact a WAR ON FOR YOUR MIND. At least try and save yourself.

A great wealth of knowledge on the nwo can be found at
www.educate-yourself.org/nwo/
Give yourself time to sit and read through the vast amount of info instead of skimming through. You will see just how sick coverup america is, and it will give you the oppourtunity to evaluate your own mind. I suggest taking notes, especially about the MK-Ultra project, Monarch, Neuro-linguistic programming, Gerold Ford, Senator Robert Byrd, Dick Thornburgh and so on for further and deeper research, especially via internet.

Sure alot of it sounds outrageous, until of course you realize and remember that sick shit like this goes on daily, maybe even in your house on your computer, or the family next door.

Who do you think rules our world? it is a small world after all, and getting smaller and more easily accessible with all of those cool, cute little camera phones and helpful in-vehicle onstar systems, oh yeah, and all of those watchful little cameras on every corner.

A site that is doing a great deal of good for the disinformationalists is
www.greatdreams.com/nwo-good.htm#humanity
Careful with this one, you are bound to twist your own ideals if you are nor careful. They lace alot of truth with fluffy deception.

corps d'allumen
12-08-2003, 03:22 PM
It's about reunification.

One and one are one - reunited.

1 - 1 - 11 - one and one are one.

left side of brain (1) + right side of brain (1) = one entity, one being; an 11. in numerology, the number eleven is the master number. the name 'jesus' reduces to the number eleven. symbolically, what did jesus have? christ-consciousness; a lack of divison between the logical and the emotional, the male and his anima (the female and her animus); being one within yourself. a connection to all life through unconditional love. that's what this whole album is about. (eleven and SHE was gone... waiting for me to free HIM by...) the logical left side sees division everywhere; black and white, good and evil, god and the 'devil'. the emotional right side knows through feeling that there is one all-encompassing 'god', although it can't explain it. any child will tell you god is there 'because he is.' no deep theological discussions because they are incapable of it; it just is because they feel it. when did we lose that? (a child's rhyme stuck in my head said that life is but a dream. i've spent so many years in question to find i've known this all along.) nobody talks about the inner-child when it was just the child, before we repressed it. it's just become all that cliched crap of "getting in touch w/ your inner-child." this is getting long, so i'll stop here.

AllforUnity
12-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Eleven is a number, which means something to Maynard...that is all.

HOBO
12-28-2003, 10:44 PM
After reading through this thread, I have come to a conclusion about the meaning of 11 in this song. It's all about being united.

I agree with the 1 and 1 are 1, 11 is 1 and 1. 11 stands for unity, two seperate people being together.

I think that 11 is a memory. When he says
"Hold your light,
Eleven.
by inch by loaded memory."

the steps are the memories that he doesnt want to fade until he is reunited.

"Eleven is standing still,
By coming home."

Home that he talks about isn't a real house that you live in, its the memories. Once he is back home then 11 can go away.

Just my humble opinion on this song.

gulroth
01-06-2004, 08:31 AM
I have no doubt that TooL is making references to the 11:11 phenomenon in Jimmy, and I think that Rebecca is definitely digging to something much deeper than just what we see on the surface of the song. But that doesn't mean that the surface has no importance, or that the surface is *inaccurate*.

One of the most powerful reasons that I can listen to Ænima over and over and over again is because of its multivalence -- its multiple meanings. Each and every time that I listen to the album, I learn something else about myself or Maynard or the band as a whole or the world around me.

The fact that all of these interpretations are possible doesn't necessarily mean that certain people are wrong... it means that, depending upon which level you are at in life, you may read alternate interpretations into the music. And I think that's the way it's supposed to be.

It's not what the song means to Maynard that's important. It's what the song means to you.

~ djl

.TP
02-18-2004, 08:40 PM
jimmy is on track 9 just like lateralus, and lateralus was wrote based on the fergonachi spiral where the next number is the sum of the two numbers before ex: 1,1,2,3,5,8,13... but in the case of jimmy tool wrote that 1 and 1 are 1,eleven so glow child... is like tool is telling the listener to break the spiral to be different to the others and glow; so instead of been 1,1,2,3 be 1,1,1,1.

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 12:54 PM
l don't believe all that 11:11 and 1,1,1,1 theory crap...and l really don't know what l believe about the song yet...but that stuff doesn't fit with the rest of the song good enough for me.

.TP
02-25-2004, 06:30 PM
ok, .TP may have a point, that thought hit me too, that theory makes sense to me, and it´s pretty interesting, 1+1=1meaning, breaking of the spiral, being original, unique and special, thinking more for ourselves, that´s pretty much what the band wants us to do right?

x7 Lateralus 7x
02-26-2004, 07:06 AM
u guys, i dont know what maynard is saying after he says "i am wide awake and heading home" something like that, there r whispers after that loud bass part, and the loud smack of the snare drum. O.o any know wtf im saying?

Mehhico
02-26-2004, 08:07 PM
By the way,

I encourage everyone out there to research the nwo on their own. This is a dangerous time. All the peices are coming together for them now. There is in fact a WAR ON FOR YOUR MIND. At least try and save yourself.

A great wealth of knowledge on the nwo can be found at
www.educate-yourself.org/nwo/
Give yourself time to sit and read through the vast amount of info instead of skimming through. You will see just how sick coverup america is, and it will give you the oppourtunity to evaluate your own mind. I suggest taking notes, especially about the MK-Ultra project, Monarch, Neuro-linguistic programming, Gerold Ford, Senator Robert Byrd, Dick Thornburgh and so on for further and deeper research, especially via internet.

Sure alot of it sounds outrageous, until of course you realize and remember that sick shit like this goes on daily, maybe even in your house on your computer, or the family next door.

Who do you think rules our world? it is a small world after all, and getting smaller and more easily accessible with all of those cool, cute little camera phones and helpful in-vehicle onstar systems, oh yeah, and all of those watchful little cameras on every corner.

A site that is doing a great deal of good for the disinformationalists is
www.greatdreams.com/nwo-good.htm#humanity
Careful with this one, you are bound to twist your own ideals if you are nor careful. They lace alot of truth with fluffy deception.

Thanks for that information, Rebecca. It is a subject I am getting more and more into at the moment, and its a subject the local library only has a select number of (decent) books on.

One small idea which constantly comes into my mind, referring to the number 1, is the fibonacci sequence. Supposedly, we are living in a spiral of life which has no beginning and no end. That is, infinate in both directions. The idea of consciously moving into the fourth dimension has been described as us, as humans (probably the last species not to make the shift yet?), realising where we come from and that we do have a definate beginning.

That is where the fibonacci sequence comes into it. There is a definate beginning, and that is the number one, followed by the number one. I think this may be what the whole theory is referring to, KNOWING our past, just like a flower does, to see where we should go next.

Just a though, just a thought.

Take care,
Andy

Brino
03-03-2004, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=rebecca22]A. Jimmy is obviously not Maynard. jimmy means 11:11
B. The number eleven is not his age. it represents 1111

Dude, you don't know the facts so don't tell people that they are right and wrong, he had a very good theory. I do agree with the folks who say Jimmy= Maynard , Maynard was originally James Keenan and if he was 11 when all of this occured he probably was called Jimmy.

Mehhico
03-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Hopefully Rebecca can realise that she may actually be wrong, although she has yet to illustrate it. She has some great points, but so does everyone else. By simply acknowledging that other people have valid points, Rebecca could learn something different, and realise songs can have more than one meaning.

AllforUnity
03-04-2004, 12:22 PM
l think Becca is totally wrong, personally. The theories of the spiral of life, where the number plus itself is the next doesn't fit in with this Album. 1 and 1 are 1, 11 so glow, child glow, l'm heading back home...l really don't get why this was put it the song though.

corps d'allumen
03-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Okay, here's the big secret you've all been waiting for...

This song is about gay man-love.

So, now that you know, go have gay man-love (if you're a guy; if you're a girl, you're just screwed... definite play on the word), then you can all come back here and write about the mysteries of your man-love experience, and the ensuing enlightenment...

Seriously, this is all true. I astrally projected and communicated directly with Maynard's dick... until it splooged and got in my eye. Now I can't see anything but Maynard, literally....

hehehehehehehehe.

AllforUnity
03-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Yeeaaah. Ok.

InfectedCabbage
03-10-2004, 10:30 PM
And here I thought I'd never post again. It's been a few months, I'm back. I see Rebecca's fending for herself here. Pushing her bleliefs on others, hypocrite? This whole thread has been people discussing their "beliefs" about the meaning of the song. Why don't you do everyone a favor and ram your dick down your throat so you can't talk to anyone?

Regardless of the foundation behind 11:11, I know that when I have focused my thoughts at the time, it has helped me. Whether it is 11:11 or just me living better because I actually focus every once in a while is yet to be seen. It's not like I'm not seeing it every single day though. It's been going on since I was 11 damn years old. Sometimes more than others. I've noticed I've seen it more when I've needed the most 'focus.' It may be my mind, it may not be. Who knows? Who cares?

Rebecca is definitely right in one aspect - too many people are walking down the wrong path blindy. Too many things about our liberties as human beings are crumbling, but not so much before our eyes. More like behind our backs. Fuck the war in Iraq, it's not relevant. People need to think differently or else get pissed on me when it all creeps up on them at once and the 'millions of dumbfounded dipshits' shout a collctive "what the fuck is going on?"

And again, either way, think what you want. I don't give a shit. No reason to be a worthless little bitch about it though. Fuck you, son.

InfectedCabbage
03-10-2004, 10:32 PM
the angst expressed there is only directed toward one member, obviously =)

InfectedCabbage
03-10-2004, 10:34 PM
pissed on BY me. k i'm leaving for a few more months.

Tantobourne
03-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Regardless...I know that when I have focused my thoughts at the time, it has helped me. Whether it is 11:11 or just me living better because I actually focus every once in a while is yet to be seen. It's not like I'm not seeing it every single day though.

It's not like you're seeing it everyday, though...but 11:11 isn't the only repeating pattern that you see in your life.

I mean, really...your life is a pattern of repetitions. You get up, you turn off the alarm clock, you dress yourself, you shit, you piss, you got to school/work. It's ALL repetition.

You look at the clock and it's 11:11. Wow. Guess what? The chances are that you'll see this TWICE in a 24 hour period, moreso if someone keeps fucking with the clock. If you're around clocks a lot...meaning, if you aren't locked up in a closet and fed through a slot under the door, you're going to see 11:11 quite a lot in your lifetime. Along with every other possible combinations of numbers within our common timeframe, and not necessarily as a measurement of time.

But...that isn't in any way meant to lessen the compulsory reaction to seeing 11:11. Even visually, it is soothing. It's 5 vertical lines side by side, an obvious pattern, moreso than the other numbers on a digital clock.

Perhaps the point isn't really the numbers themselves, the characters of our logical seqences. Maybe it's more to the fact that 11:11 or any play on the idea is a FOCAL POINT. That's how people get shit done, they find a focal point common to each of them and through that focal point they thrive.

We do this so much, it's second nature. We react to our environment and the sequences and repetitions that we have grown accustomed to. We do this so much that eventually we become 'dulled out' or desensitized. Bear in mind that the act of 'desensitizing' isn't necessarily always a random occurance.

The point of this whole drunk ramble is that 11:11 that people keep tossing out does necessarily have 'holy' relevance as a means of focus. What each person goes through in life to achieve that focus isn't always the same as the next schmoe. Some people will see a dragon in a passing cloud while another might see a ribbed dildo. But still the same, it's a common and easily recognizable focal point. Call it a 'stillpoint' where you take pause to reflect where normally you wouldn't. Some people are more inclined to do so than others....some to the point of arguing it ruthlessly and pointlessly.

Then there's those that will use it as a means to wear off a drunk buzz before bed...that would be me.

paraflux
03-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Rebecca is definitely right in one aspect - too many people are walking down the wrong path blindy.

And does that give us the right to yell at them and curse them and call names? SHOULD that give us the INCLINATION not to show them light, but to shatter their eyes with it? And what about those on the path true and get attacked as if they were worthless pieces of shit headed down the exact opposite of where they are?

Judgment. Pharisee. Hypocrite.

Judge not lest you yourself be judged.

The more elitist they make themselves out to be, the harder they will fall when they find they have to restructure their thought processes. Or, they will look at that task as waaaay too hard and keep bumbling along, stumbling yet shouting insults to others passing them by.

corps d'allumen
03-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Judge not lest you yourself be judged.

Metallica rocks! at least they used to... ("Holier than thou" on the black album, if I lost you:)

I definately agree. I have a tendency to judge others as well, but not in the way of just ignorantly throwing blatent insults (sarcasm has its purposes:); more of forming an opinion, if there's a difference. And moreover, I judge myself the hardest. Having an opinion is okay, as long as you can tell when your opinion has weight and when it doesn't. If your opinion always has weight no matter what anyone else says, it becomes a belief. As for the 'sour'-kraut, essentially you're doing the same thing- pushing your belief down someone's throat- about rebecca, which is fine by me as long as you realize you are doing what you're hating.

Personally, I somewhat agree with AllForUnity about this song.

After reading through this thread, I have come to a conclusion about the meaning of 11 in this song. It's all about being united.

I agree with the 1 and 1 are 1, 11 is 1 and 1. 11 stands for unity, two seperate people being together.

I think that 11 is a memory. When he says
"Hold your light,
Eleven.
by inch by loaded memory."

the steps are the memories that he doesnt want to fade until he is reunited.

"Eleven is standing still,
By coming home."

Home that he talks about isn't a real house that you live in, its the memories. Once he is back home then 11 can go away.

Just my humble opinion on this song.

left side of brain (1) + right side of brain (1) = one entity, one being; an 11. in numerology, the number eleven is the master number. the name 'jesus' reduces to the number eleven. symbolically, what did jesus have? christ-consciousness; a lack of divison between the logical and the emotional, the male and his anima (the female and her animus); being one within yourself. a connection to all life through unconditional love. that's what this whole album is about. (eleven and SHE was gone... waiting for me to free HIM by...)
the logical, male left side sees division everywhere; black and white, good and evil, god and the 'devil'. the emotional, female right side knows through feeling that there is one all-encompassing 'god', although it can't explain it. All humans are born this way, but it's dissolved through the way we're raised. This is something that has been researched, and you can read about it. Any child will tell you god is there 'because he is.' no deep theological discussions because they are incapable of it; it just is because they feel it. when did we lose that? (a child's rhyme stuck in my head said that life is but a dream. i've spent so many years in question to find i've known this all along.) nobody talks about the inner-child when it was just the child, before we repressed it. it's just become all that cliched crap of "getting in touch w/ your inner-child."

Also, I think it's diminutive to the song and the album as a whole to associate all the Fibbonaci numbers with this song. The end does not justify the means here. I think if you think that if Lateralus is related to Ænima in that way, you're reaching too hard into the realm of 'the great Tool mystery.' And if you really want to try to correlate them, at least get the sequence right. It's not that difficult to figure that 1111 is not in it. The song has nothing to do with spirals and neither does the album. If it did, don't you think there would be more 'clues?' Lateralus is impregnated with a spiral-theme. Ænima is not.

Luna Galapogos
03-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Metallica rocks! at least they used to... ("Holier than thou" on the black album, if I lost you:)

Also, I think it's diminutive to the song and the album as a whole to associate all the Fibbonaci numbers with this song. The end does not justify the means here. I think if you think that if Lateralus is related to Ænima in that way, you're reaching too hard into the realm of 'the great Tool mystery.' And if you really want to try to correlate them, at least get the sequence right. It's not that difficult to figure that 1111 is not in it. The song has nothing to do with spirals and neither does the album. If it did, don't you think there would be more 'clues?' Lateralus is impregnated with a spiral-theme. Ænima is not.

I thought about this, and I don't think that it fits. But think about this for a moment. The sequence goes 1,1,2,3,5,8,13 and so on. And you go on like this forever into eternity. But if you want to resolve what started at the beginning, you have to go back to the beginning, you have to go back to 1,1. I think that it is either a possibility or a coincidence. Whatever this song is about could be talking about something that happened at 11, and then he tried to carry on into eternity without ever going on. But he has to go back to 11 like is stated in this song. I don't know, it seemed interesting anyway, hope I made sense.

AllforUnity
03-12-2004, 09:02 AM
This will go on forever.

corps d'allumen
03-13-2004, 12:50 AM
I thought about this, and I don't think that it fits. But think about this for a moment. The sequence goes 1,1,2,3,5,8,13 and so on. And you go on like this forever into eternity. But if you want to resolve what started at the beginning, you have to go back to the beginning, you have to go back to 1,1. I think that it is either a possibility or a coincidence. Whatever this song is about could be talking about something that happened at 11, and then he tried to carry on into eternity without ever going on. But he has to go back to 11 like is stated in this song. I don't know, it seemed interesting anyway, hope I made sense.
It made sense, and I enjoyed it; very good point! I still don't/can't go for it, but that's a hella-good explanation. Wunderbar!

Ohio Steve
03-22-2004, 06:58 PM
It made sense, and I enjoyed it; very good point! I still don't/can't go for it, but that's a hella-good explanation. Wunderbar!
the theme of the song seems to be about an incident of some sort that happened to jimmy (maynard) when he was 11. what this incident is we dont and will never know, only maynard and those close to him would know. however in the song he seems to talk about how he never delt with this issue when he was young and now has to go back and finally make peace with whatever has troubled him so he and his younger self can finally move on together as one. "til one and one are one, eleven". maynard also left ohio at the age of eleven and this is why he speaks of himself heading "back home". he has finally been able to reconnect with himself as a child and talks of it calling him back, guiding hime with its light and so on. i believe this song indicates that maynard has made this connection and therefore has been able to move on.

AllforUnity
03-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah...didn't that one lady say "one and one are one"?

LEARN.2.SWiM
03-24-2004, 10:46 AM
I just recently put together a 2 disc compilation of what I felt represented the best tool material. I'm trying to send it to my friends who haven't listened to the band to give them an opportunity to "see the light". Basically what I did was center in on key songs that showcased Maynard's lyrical story progression from abuse to torment to anger to understanding and acceptance and then finally to redemption. Here is the order of the songs...

1. Undertow
2. Prison Sex
3. jimmy
4. Reflection
5. Intolerance
6. 4 Degrees
7. Cold and Ugly
8. You Lied
9. Crawl Away
10. H.
11. Pushit
12. Jerk-Off
13. Hooker with a Penis
14. Ticks and Leeches
15. Forty-Six & 2
16. Parabol
17. Parabola
18. Third Eye
19. Lateralus

So, where does Jimmy come in to this story?

Here are my thoughts...

First off and most important.

A. Jimmy is obviously Maynard.
B. The number eleven is his age.
C. Maynard's mother is "she" in stanza 2.

What was it like to see
Suddenly look away

Okay. I think stanza 1 is petty clear. Someone has left. I am going to say that this first stanza is about Jimmy's dad being left by Jimmy and his mom.

Eleven and she was gone.
By coming home.

Well, I'm saying that eleven is the age that Jimmy was when she left home. In the line "eleven is standing still", Jimmy can' t move, can't age. He is stuck. He'll be eleven forever. The moment is standing still.
It seems to me that the line "waiting for me to free him by coming home" talks about Jimmy's father being all alone and suffering because his family has dissapeard.

Moving me with a sound.
Drawing me down and in,
Eleven.

I am thinking that Maynard's abuse began soon after his mother took him away from his father.

You hold the light that's been leading me back home.

Now Maynard realizes that his father is the light and all he wants is to get home.

Under a dead ohio sky,
Defending his light,
And wondering...

This stanza is all about action and conflict. "Under a dead ohio sky". Maynard lived in ohio as a boy. Since his dad has lived in Michigan all his life, and Maynard only keeps in contact w/ his father. I am assuming this is where his mother moved him. At this point eleven stands for the union between father and son. Maynard gets pissed and decides to make the journey to head back home to his dad.

Hold your light,
Eleven.

Let this union between father and son give Maynard the abilty to escape Ohio, both mentally, emotionally and physically. "Lead me through each gentle step by step, by inch by loaded memory". "Loaded memory" is a false memory. Maybe he wants to forget what he has just gone through, or maybe his mother has been filling his head with lies about his father that aren't true and he needs the courage of their union to ignore them.

I'll move to heal

Maynard is so torn apart inside that he can't run until the pain ends. However, he is going to try very soon so father and son can reunite and move on together.

Hold your light,
By inch by loaded memory
'till one and one are one, eleven,
So glow, child, glow.

I'm heading back home.

Once again, as long as the union between father and son stays strong, Jimmy/Maynard will have the courage to leave Ohio and his mother and the abuse to make it back home to his father and become one again...

Finally he makes the decision to go.

I really like how the union of 11 meaning father and son playing a role of cosmic energy in this song. Very powerful in deed.

If you've read this far and would like a copy of the discs I put together, send me an e-mail to [email protected]

I'll need you to send blanks and postage.

Peace,

Zenith

nice job zenith ! gave me the shivvers ^_^

corps d'allumen
04-04-2004, 12:55 AM
nice job zenith ! gave me the shivvers ^_^
::sighs::

corps d'allumen
04-04-2004, 01:07 AM
the theme of the song seems to be about an incident of some sort that happened to jimmy (maynard) when he was 11. what this incident is we dont and will never know, only maynard and those close to him would know. however in the song he seems to talk about how he never delt with this issue when he was young and now has to go back and finally make peace with whatever has troubled him so he and his younger self can finally move on together as one. "til one and one are one, eleven". maynard also left ohio at the age of eleven and this is why he speaks of himself heading "back home". he has finally been able to reconnect with himself as a child and talks of it calling him back, guiding hime with its light and so on. i believe this song indicates that maynard has made this connection and therefore has been able to move on.
Apply it to yourself and it will really make sense (to you). Apply the album to yourself and you'll really 'get it.' Maybe the real message of all their albums is reserved for the schizophrenic, or maybe most people can't really take a good look at themselves, even with help...

H.Cornerstone
05-11-2004, 06:55 PM
I dont doubt the whole 11:11 in the song, but i am going to agree with the orginal interpretation of it being about meeting his father and what not. I think that idea fits in better with the whole context of the song.

clown137
05-24-2004, 09:03 PM
i think your all right, because it suppose to mean different things to everyone, thats what maynard tries to do right?

paraflux
05-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Guys, given the nature of the title of the record, which deals with the feminine side of all humans, can't "she" be the narrator's anima? Couldnt it be that that needs to return? Duality is discussed all throughout this record. One and One could be masculine and feminine finally reunited. Once we rise above duality, we become unified once more.

eonbluecasanova
05-27-2004, 12:41 PM
very good point. I'm probably going to listen to the album again with that in mind...

Zenith
07-23-2004, 09:52 AM
It's been about a year and a half since I started this thread and it's very interesting to read everyone's thoughts. There are some very strong feelings out there!

Rebecca, I think your theories are valid, and to a point they are true. However, what you're missing is that there is a lot song/story here that has nothing to do with 11. Yep, it's a big part of the song, but not everything. Just like 46 & 2 has numerology involved at it's core, it isn't a song just about numerology itself. If Tool was just about numerology, wouldn't that be pretty fucking boring? Numerology makes their songs deeper, just like the stories they are telling. It's all ingrediants in a very original pot.

Now, No one needs to wake up to anyone elses thoughts or ideas. Opinions are exactly what they're meant to be; opinions. We can never truly know a person's intentions unless we live inside their head. But we can learn. And reading these posts will lead me on a bit of a research "trip".

The night I wrote my thoughts on Jimmy, I sat in the dark and just listened to this song over and over. Did I find the true meaning? For me I found A meaning. It left me shaking and excited. If you find your meaning to this song or any other feel grateful. It is your interpretation and you own it. But it doesn't make you right. It only makes you curious.

VaporWare
08-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Anyone ever think that perhaps the "message" of the song isn't as deep as alot of people seem to think it must be? Perhaps the member's of Tool (I refuse to only praise or refer to just Maynard when it comes to the band's songs/messages. There are 4 people involved and to leave the others out is, in my opinion, doing a disservice to the band) write these songs with vague references to obscure ideas/theologies/concepts/people/events/etc purely to get people to think and debate over "Ohhhh! I wonder what he means when he says such and such". I'm in no way discounting anyone's theories, however for the most part I just enjoy the music of Tool as exactly that. Really great, well played, music.
Sure some of the references are kind of neat to dig into, but it doesn't enhance my listening pleasure in any way to think "OMG! I think I finally realized all the hidden meanings behind (insert song here)". In fact alot of the time I will just take the song however I percieve it to be, and leave well enough alone. Perhaps my take isn't what the band was meaning to say, but songs are (usually) meant to be personally interpereted by the listener anyways. Yes, Tool is a much deeper band than most of the bands I enjoy when it comes to content (message/lyric- wise) but for me that doesn't make them any better than, say, Pantera in my opinion. I enjoy both the same (though there are very few bands I enjoy at that level: Floyd, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Fear Factory, Tool, Pantera, Down, Black Label Society), even though Pantera is by far much less "deep" with their message.
However, if digging deeper and deeper into the lyrical content and "message" of Tool's songs make you happy, and leaves you with a greater feeling of fulfillment and appreciation when you listen to the art created by the band, then that's a great thing. Sometimes though isn't it nice to not dig so deep into the minute details of a song and just enjoy it for being great music?

Zenith
08-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Sure if there's nothing to dig for.

See ya in China!

VaporWare
08-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Sure if there's nothing to dig for.

See ya in China!

Hehe. Sure thing. As long as it makes you happy, I say right on. Oh, and bring me back something from the trip. :)

paraflux
08-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Sometimes though isn't it nice to not dig so deep into the minute details of a song and just enjoy it for being great music?

For some, it might not be possible, or might be blasphemous to do so. I cant. I am always looking inside things that interest me.

VaporWare
08-12-2004, 08:14 PM
For some, it might not be possible, or might be blasphemous to do so. I cant. I am always looking inside things that interest me.

Like I said, if that makes you happy, then it's wonderful. :)

Just be careful that you don't start breaking the things you like by looking inside them (toy analogy)

champion
10-13-2004, 07:51 AM
i think it's a pretty clear representation of maynard losing and then eventually coming back to terms with his child-like [and feminine] characteristics. "jimmy" seems like it would be maynard as an eleven year-old. i feel the "she" he refers to is when he essentially went through puberty and forgot many of his feminine qualities. the song is about recognizing and coming to terms with your feminine side in order to balance the body and the mind.

it's also possible that maynrd is simply referring to his childhood in general and moreso his child-like qualities, but i think with the "she" in there, he may mean feminism.

Navid
05-23-2005, 06:29 AM
You can keep your two cents. Whos the idiot? Your the one who got so scared and brainwashed by a cheesy low budget flick.
HAHAHA!

Suggestion, subliminal messages and brainwashing are put out by greedy men, but the 1111 is a purity in any form put out by the one. Don't mix your drinks.

Who's the idiot? I think it's safe to say that *you* are, buddy. I'd ask you to try and yank your head out of your own ass long enough to give other peoples opinions a chance - or at least enough respect to keep your insulting comments to yourself... But then, I'd just be wasting my time. Here's an idea for you:

At 11.11 every day, take yourself to the eleventh floor of the nearest building and throw yourself off it. This can be difficult to do correctly. If you don't manage it the first time, repeat the process. Up to eleven times. If your good - you'll only have to do it the once. Good luck.

Wave.Existance.Tears
05-23-2005, 12:04 PM
jimmy = Maynard as a child.

I never really thought of it as him realizing his feminine side though...mostly because I always thought that Maynard's mother became a looney at his age 11...that's true, right?
If not, time for a n00b to be flamed.

Wave.Existance.Tears
05-23-2005, 12:13 PM
jimmy = Maynard as a child.

I never really thought of it as him realizing his feminine side though...mostly because I always thought that Maynard's mother became a looney at his age 11...that's true, right?
If not, time for a n00b to be flamed.

paraflux
05-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Who's the idiot? I think it's safe to say that *you* are, buddy. I'd ask you to try and yank your head out of your own ass long enough to give other peoples opinions a chance - or at least enough respect to keep your insulting comments to yourself... But then, I'd just be wasting my time. Here's an idea for you:

At 11.11 every day, take yourself to the eleventh floor of the nearest building and throw yourself off it. This can be difficult to do correctly. If you don't manage it the first time, repeat the process. Up to eleven times. If your good - you'll only have to do it the once. Good luck.

I've tried telling her that she is an overly arrogant imbecile. It doesnt work. She's far too arrogant, and, dare I say, Californicated.

Ming
05-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Omg i just looked up at the computer clock and it was 11:11. I shit you not. Creepy. I was all ready to post about how silly the 11:11 thing is. WEIRD.

Hogpile
05-24-2005, 11:10 AM
After many long hours of indecision, I've decided to clue you all in on the REAL meaning behind this song:

Maynard was 11 years old, when his hamster JIMMY died. Thus the lyric "under a dead ohio sky". jimmy was 1 year old, him and maynard were one so "1 + 1, is one, eleven". jimmy also being a moniker for penis, thus the link between this song, and "Maynard's dick" which is also concerning jimmy the hamster. I hope this helps.

Spiral out.

Love,

Danny

Ming
05-24-2005, 12:23 PM
After many long hours of indecision, I've decided to clue you all in on the REAL meaning behind this song:

Maynard was 11 years old, when his hamster JIMMY died. Thus the lyric "under a dead ohio sky". jimmy was 1 year old, him and maynard were one so "1 + 1, is one, eleven". jimmy also being a moniker for penis, thus the link between this song, and "Maynard's dick" which is also concerning jimmy the hamster. I hope this helps.

Spiral out.

Love,

Danny

but seriously, look at the time stamp on my post above yours. if that's not definive PROOF in the existence of honeycomb cereal predating the pyramids I don't know what is.

Hogpile
05-24-2005, 12:27 PM
but seriously, look at the time stamp on my post above yours. if that's not definive PROOF in the existence of honeycomb cereal predating the pyramids I don't know what is.

And what I don't understand is how General Mills tries to pull the wool over our eyes as if we don't know that there is high fructose corn syrup in those combs, not honey, and it's all a lucrative plot to destroy fruity pepples, which aren't fruity in the least, but rather shitty multi-colored wheat nuggets with the exact same flavor on each pepple. You feel me?

Ming
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Don't even get me started on the dreaded cereal corporations. If people only knew half of John Kellogg's enema issues they'd never eat breakfast again. Did you know it takes 11x10.3435(9) boxes of Captain Crunch (regular size) to fill the grand canyon? Not many people know this.

Hogpile
05-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Don't even get me started on the dreaded cereal corporations. If people only knew half of John Kellogg's enema issues they'd never eat breakfast again. Did you know it takes 11x10.3435(9) boxes of Captain Crunch (regular size) to fill the grand canyon? Not many people know this.

With or without crunch berries?

ZeroPointEther
05-31-2005, 11:52 PM
It's about reunification. Wether this gateway thing is real or not, that's what this song is about. Almost every tool song is about consciousness one way or another.