PDA

View Full Version : lemon juice?

JERUSALEM
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
somebody explain. I get the general idea of the song but ,lemon juice??

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-29-2006, 02:58 PM
got lemon juice up in your eye. Look elsewhere on these boards for an explaination as to where that saying comes from, something along the lines of "if you squeeze enough lemons you get juic in your eye" which would sting, obvioulsy.

So in context of the song its like, point your fingers enough and blame others and people might well tell you that you're no better than those you're pointing said finger at, kinda thing.

I'm bad at explaing things

][ncognito
05-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Although the meaning of "chosen indigo" is still unclear (last I checked) the lemon juice follows that line of thinking. Maynard says "you're weepin' shades of chosen indigo / got lemon juice up in your eye"

I take it as he's saying the the tears are fake, rather than crying for real, you just got lemon juice in your eye causing the tears. Fake tears, crocodile tears.

Luosdasa
05-30-2006, 12:41 AM
*nod head* fake tears was what i thought too

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-30-2006, 06:28 AM
I was thinking about the indigo, its a colour right? somewhere between blue and violet, but i rememer when some once said "that paint is indigo" (or something like that) I just thort it was blue, I couldnt tell the difference.
Perhaps when hes saying "weeping shades of chosen indigo" he saying that you're crying, whether its false or not its still crying, but you cant tell the difference (we knwo its fake though because of the context of the song) I think thats it jsut re-inforced by the "lemon juice up in your eye" line. any thorts?

iron_tick
06-02-2006, 07:42 AM
I agree it sounds like he's just re-stating the fake crying. Good interpritation.

Terry21
06-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Still thinking "now will you weep in shades of chosen indigo?"

YuShtink
06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I kind of think he's talking about police in uniform when he says "chosen indigo". They are in indigo uniforms and are the "chosen" people that are above the law.

P1_PP1_N
06-06-2006, 03:35 AM
I kind of think he's talking about police in uniform when he says "chosen indigo". They are in indigo uniforms and are the "chosen" people that are above the law.

Spot on.

Curious Yello
06-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Still thinking "now will you weep in shades of chosen indigo?"

...okay, here's my own take on indigo/lemon, and indeed the whole song...

...'The Pot' uses the old adage 'the pot calling the kettle black' [...'pissed all over my black kettle'...] and is about [political] hypocrisy, ie. those in power [the 'Pot'] saying one thing to their electors [the 'kettles'] the while doing the opposite...

...as Maynard is becoming increasingly more adept at using creatively vague allegory and metaphor in his lyrics, he uses 'indigo' in reference to the colours that royalty and church officials wear...

...and yes, the lemon juice is in reference to the 'crocodile tears'...

...a couple of real-world examples...

...1) certain un-named political figure/s publicly weep for the soldiers dying in war, while happily keep sending the troops...

...2) church officials publicly apologise for the 'shocking' child abuse being perpetrated by their clergy members, while never actually disciplining them...

...I must admit, I am only [re]discovering Tool after being impressed by Maynard's lyrical prowess with APC, and it has come at a good time...

...finally, I think the final 2 lines of the song are

'Oligopolize - [from 'oligopoly'...or something similar]
You must have been out your mind'

...in this way, the hypocrisy has been extended from politics, royalty and church to that other great 'ruling class', the corporations...

M.

herbnut
06-09-2006, 04:18 PM
...okay, here's my own take on indigo/lemon, and indeed the whole song...

...'The Pot' uses the old adage 'the pot calling the kettle black' [...'pissed all over my black kettle'...] and is about [political] hypocrisy, ie. those in power [the 'Pot'] saying one thing to their electors [the 'kettles'] the while doing the opposite...

...as Maynard is becoming increasingly more adept at using creatively vague allegory and metaphor in his lyrics, he uses 'indigo' in reference to the colours that royalty and church officials wear...

...and yes, the lemon juice is in reference to the 'crocodile tears'...

...a couple of real-world examples...

...1) certain un-named political figure/s publicly weep for the soldiers dying in war, while happily keep sending the troops...

...2) church officials publicly apologise for the 'shocking' child abuse being perpetrated by their clergy members, while never actually disciplining them...

...I must admit, I am only [re]discovering Tool after being impressed by Maynard's lyrical prowess with APC, and it has come at a good time...

...finally, I think the final 2 lines of the song are

'Oligopolize - [from 'oligopoly'...or something similar]
You must have been out your mind'

...in this way, the hypocrisy has been extended from politics, royalty and church to that other great 'ruling class', the corporations...

M.

Greetings,

I guess this is my first post. I have been reading the board for a while (2 years maybe?) but my email was always under a blanket ban and I was always too lazy to make a new address so I never registered untill recently. Either way, I finally took 10 minutes to do that and I can finally post, so here goes...

Curious Yello, I pretty much agree with your interpretation. Just before I read your post I was thinking the same thing about the lemon juice bit; as a metaphor for the politicians' ability to do say and appear to believe one thing and do something completely different. The anti-war episode of South Park had that idea :)

I think this verse also fits the interpretation...

Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around

Cards and Glass clearly means that the 'house' (community?) is fragile. Tossing stones, I think, is a reference to 'stoning' which is a sign of condemnation.

Basically the idea is that when you go around pointing your finger / stoning / condemning / judging it will inevitably come back and justifiably bite you in the ass (house of cards and glass).

Any thoughts?

implandnoises
06-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Here is in an idea. It's a bit far fetched, but why not.

While I think the lemon juice in the eyes probably does mean making yourself cry, I think there could be a deeper meaning.
Weeping chosen shades of indigo could basically mean pretended to be blue right? Which goes with the next line. I think all this has been said before, but here is my extended take on it:

Eyeball deep in muddy waters means being in deep shit. But it also refers to the name of a well known blues singer.

Lemon juice in the eyes could refer to Blind Lemon Jefferson.

This is loose argument, but if anyone can find any more blues references in this song it could back up my strange theory.

Bukkhead
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
I like "Oligopolize" way better than any other translation of what he's screaming at the end, especially "Ganja Please". However, I think there's an extar syllable in there, as Oligopolize has 5 syllables and I hear him sceaming 4. But, then, not everyone hears this the same way, so you've given me food for thought. Thanks!

--JE

Terry21
06-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Here is in an idea. It's a bit far fetched, but why not.

While I think the lemon juice in the eyes probably does mean making yourself cry, I think there could be a deeper meaning.
Weeping chosen shades of indigo could basically mean pretended to be blue right? Which goes with the next line. I think all this has been said before, but here is my extended take on it:

Eyeball deep in muddy waters means being in deep shit. But it also refers to the name of a well known blues singer.

Lemon juice in the eyes could refer to Blind Lemon Jefferson.

This is loose argument, but if anyone can find any more blues references in this song it could back up my strange theory.

And Maynard said it was their blues album! I think there is some kind of connection to the "blues" album, the "shades of indigo" and Muddy Waters. Because also the way he meant "blues" album was different shades of, well, yeah, indigo.

Curious Yello
06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=herbnut]Greetings,

...spot on HerbNut...:0)

...I was focusing particularly on the 'lemon juice/indigo' lyrics, but you have demonstrated well that MJK's 'lyrical layering' is such that they can be related together to express a viewpoint, or separately to include 'tangential ideas'...all while still being coherent...

...if I was to dissect just ONE song, I could prattle on for several pages!!!

...thanks for taking the time to read my post, and also for showing that you are THINKING...which is always refreshing in our 'mentally numb' society...:)

...maintain the rage...and take no prisoners...

...any progress on the 'ganja police / oligopolise' lyric at the end of the song...as I am still trying to nail them down...?

...'guns-upheld lies' perhaps...?
...'gun shop of lies'...???

M.

eonphi
06-16-2006, 12:39 AM
I'd say most of the interpretations in this thread are ALL correct...at least to some degree. I suppose there isn't a right or wrong answer...it's what you take away from it and what it means to you that matters.

Curious Yello
06-18-2006, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Bukkhead]I like "Oligopolize" way better than any other translation of what he's screaming at the end, especially "Ganja Please". However, I think there's an extar syllable in there, as Oligopolize has 5 syllables and I hear him sceaming 4. But, then, not everyone hears this the same way, so you've given me food for thought. Thanks!

...Thanks bukkhead...

...if you read my latest reply to Herbnut, you will notice my interp has morphed from 'Oligopolise' to 'Gunshop of Lies'...which still maintains the flavour of the song and addresses your 4-syllable observation...

...though there still seems to be a 'p' sound between 'of' and 'lies'...[?]
...may just be a recording artefact...

...keep the ideas coming...

M.

weesper
06-19-2006, 03:04 PM
lemon juice in your eye as a reference to heroin use?

Ardent
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
[ncognito']Although the meaning of "chosen indigo" is still unclear (last I checked) the lemon juice follows that line of thinking. Maynard says "you're weepin' shades of chosen indigo / got lemon juice up in your eye"

i dont think it says "chosen indigo" i think it says "golden lemon juice" but what it says befor golden i cant tell yet...

A groan
06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
This song is full of metaphors, or old sayign for shit.
You dumb fucks are alalyzing classic sayings for more then there worth.

Lemon jouice in the eye means to fake cry..shades of indigo is a metaphor for when a bitch crys and here makeup runs, so like blue shit running down.

A song based of a metaphor laced 99% with them.

Shomino
06-20-2006, 08:15 AM

Just a suggestion: Don't call someone a dumb fuck if you can't spell analyzing, LOL. Pot calling the kettle black? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

"Indigo is the color of light between 440 to 420 nanometres in wavelength, placing it between blue and violet."

I believe he's saying "weaker shades of indigo" which would be 420 nanometres!

"The Pot". Concidence? I think not.

waffel
06-20-2006, 09:01 AM

thats the point of the 10,000 days section of this forum. everyone seems to be looking for more in the music, lyrics, artwork, everything. why? because everyone knows the album is sub par.

Shomino
06-20-2006, 10:21 AM
thats the point of the 10,000 days section of this forum. everyone seems to be looking for more in the music, lyrics, artwork, everything. why? because everyone knows the album is sub par.

You are sub par if you think this album is sub par. Tool has changed over the years, and if you're expecting them to release Undertow again... well maybe you should just listen to Undertow again. LOL

Liquid Identity 010
06-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around

Cards and Glass clearly means that the 'house' (community?) is fragile. Tossing stones, I think, is a reference to 'stoning' which is a sign of condemnation.

Basically the idea is that when you go around pointing your finger / stoning / condemning / judging it will inevitably come back and justifiably bite you in the ass (house of cards and glass).

Any thoughts?

Those two lines describe someone who is 'going off at the mouth' and pontificating/criticizing but is 'hardly one to talk'. The whole basis for their arguement/point is weak (house of cards) and that person is being hypocritical as well (the glass house; they are not infallible either).
As the idiom goes: people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Sounds like it's nothing but hot air and bullshit and the suggestion is to shut up.

pau
06-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Just a suggestion: Don't call someone a dumb fuck if you can't spell analyzing, LOL. Pot calling the kettle black? ;)

PLEASE don't give ppl shit for their spelling - to me its part of the whole elitist, academic, you-can't-spell-so-you're-a-dumb-cunt, egotist way of thinking.

he probly didn't even give a shit how he spelt his words since the end result was he was effective in conveying his message - was he not? - that's the point - communication, not 'perfection'

nothing personal - end rant.

pau
06-26-2006, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=
Sounds like it's nothing but hot air and bullshit and the suggestion is to shut up.[/QUOTE]

yes

fender59
06-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Weird, I always belived it to be now you weep and change the chosen into gold. Doesnt quit make sense to me yet. But quite often I hear peoples translations of these songs and I can clearly tell that they are wrong, like "I own the TV" is obviously "Eye on the TV", which makes sense cause its a song about our need to watch things die and suffer (rotten.com). I think maybe some of the translators are listening through 1 inch pc speakers.

wearethestories
06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
PLEASE don't give ppl shit for their spelling - to me its part of the whole elitist, academic, you-can't-spell-so-you're-a-dumb-cunt, egotist way of thinking.

he probly didn't even give a shit how he spelt his words since the end result was he was effective in conveying his message - was he not? - that's the point - communication, not 'perfection'

nothing personal - end rant.
maybe... if we can't read what he wrote (or, if he doesn't take the time to reread what he wrote himself) then we tend to think (a) he can't really write, which is something most people who have access to the internet learn in kindergarden or the first grade, so maybe his thinking skills are around that level and we shouldn't bother trying to decipher his jumble of language symbols, or (b) he won't even take the time to proof-read what he's written, making it hard for anyone to actually think that his post was important enough to him, let alone important enough for anyone else to read.

... but, I agree. Unless the spelling is heinously attrocious, the ad hominem "you-can't-spell" attack is a bit overused.

arad512
07-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Perhaps when hes saying "weeping shades of chosen indigo" he saying that you're crying, whether its false or not its still crying, but you cant tell the difference.

I think that's a good explanation. You could also tie in the fact that the color blue represents sadness, and that by indigo being a color or shade that most people mistake for blue, "weeping shades of chosen indigo" could be a condition that most people would mistake for true sadness, when it is actually not.

arad512
07-02-2006, 09:13 PM
its a colour right? somewhere between blue and violet, but i rememer when some once said "that paint is indigo" (or something like that) I just thort it was blue, I couldnt tell the difference.

"The human eye is relatively insensitive to indigo's frequencies, and some otherwise well-sighted people cannot distinguish indigo from blue and violet. For this reason some commentators including Isaac Asimov have suggested that indigo should not be regarded as a color in its own right but merely as a shade of blue or violet." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo)

UFOtofu
07-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Really. I don't think it's "lemon juice". I'm hearing "got a little juiced up in your...high..eye". Hypocrisy of alcohol being legal and not pot. Not every time, but it's there.

Fragilinvencible
07-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Have anyone here heard about the indigo childs?
i think it goes for that way...
the lemmon juice is for the eyes red...
"you call your self a sort of worldchanger but you are just like the rest of the people: stoned, stupid and numb"

lisaplmt
07-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I like "Oligopolize" way better than any other translation of what he's screaming at the end, especially "Ganja Please". However, I think there's an extar syllable in there, as Oligopolize has 5 syllables and I hear him sceaming 4. But, then, not everyone hears this the same way, so you've given me food for thought. Thanks!

--JE

I hear "tangible lies" not what you're hearing. Just my opinion... but makes a little sense...

Homerr Simpson
08-04-2006, 01:01 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything that pertains to the subject matter, but I have to comment on the fact that, it amazes me that so much thought from so many different perspectives is pesented on this forum. Who is to say that any of us has the slightest inkling as to what MJK is actually refering to. I'm just grateful that a group still exists that actually elicits this kind of thought and response from its musical contribution.

HelenA
08-04-2006, 03:16 AM
I love the idea that this is their "rhythm and indigo" album!

Godin
08-04-2006, 06:50 AM
"Now you're reaping shades of chosen indigo, got lemon juice up in your eye."

Indigo is the color associated with the "third eye" chakra. The third eye chakra is related to insight, knowledge of reality, etc.

By "reaping shades of chosen indigo" Maynard is characterizing a person who is basically seeing what he wants to see through that third eye, and excluding the things that don't agree with his preconceptions. He's picking and choosing which "shades of indigo", which limited aspects of reality, that he will pay mind to while ignoring others. He does this because, just as "kangaroo courts" are notorious for having made judgement even before the trial has begun, this person has made their judgement about the nature of reality before they even go out and search for the facts. He's choosing to only pay mind to the information he receives that supports his already established beliefs.

Lemon juice is thought by some to improve your eyesight when you wash your eyes with it. So, the person in this song being characterized is the type of person who is trying to improve his vision, or perhaps perception of reality, by supposedly washing his eyes (probably his third eye) with lemons. This is a good thing, that he's trying to become clear-sighted, but it seems the character is falling short of the ideal through selectively seeing only what he wants to see.

-Godin

Track 01
08-04-2006, 08:22 AM
idk what any of the song means alll i know is that its a good song

Inner_Eulogy
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
"Now you're reaping shades of chosen indigo, got lemon juice up in your eye."

Indigo is the color associated with the "third eye" chakra. The third eye chakra is related to insight, knowledge of reality, etc.

By "reaping shades of chosen indigo" Maynard is characterizing a person who is basically seeing what he wants to see through that third eye, and excluding the things that don't agree with his preconceptions. He's picking and choosing which "shades of indigo", which limited aspects of reality, that he will pay mind to while ignoring others. He does this because, just as "kangaroo courts" are notorious for having made judgement even before the trial has begun, this person has made their judgement about the nature of reality before they even go out and search for the facts. He's choosing to only pay mind to the information he receives that supports his already established beliefs.

Lemon juice is thought by some to improve your eyesight when you wash your eyes with it. So, the person in this song being characterized is the type of person who is trying to improve his vision, or perhaps perception of reality, by supposedly washing his eyes (probably his third eye) with lemons. This is a good thing, that he's trying to become clear-sighted, but it seems the character is falling short of the ideal through selectively seeing only what he wants to see.

-Godin

While that all sounds good. I highly discredit anything you just said.

Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I always assumed the shades of indigo had to do with chakras and things of that nature, but I'm starting to think the song is more physical and political. Good thread.

JunkyWolf
08-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Thisis all well and good. But, who, on the planet earth, come up with the idea that lemon juice could possibly improve your eyesight? The more I listen to this song (which I love) the more I tend to hope that i've got the words horribly wrong.

Godin
08-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Thisis all well and good. But, who, on the planet earth, come up with the idea that lemon juice could possibly improve your eyesight? The more I listen to this song (which I love) the more I tend to hope that i've got the words horribly wrong.

It doesn't matter whether you or anybody else thinks the idea of eye-improving lemon juice is ridiculous or not. It only matters that SOME PEOPLE DO BELIEVE IT WORKS, and this is what Maynard is NO DOUBT alluding to with the phrase in the song. I caps locked you only to express my certainty. :-)

Both the indigo/chakra thing and the lemon juice therapy thing are big in the new-age spiritual circles. I've spent a lot of time in Sedona, Arizona, which is the neighboring town to where Maynard lives, and Sedona is considered to be a very spiritual artistic community. They are all about putting lemon juice in your eye over there. :-) Anyway, if you want to find out for yourself that such beliefs do exist independent of this message base, then go to ask.com and type in the following words: lemon juice eye, then separately, indigo chakra.

-Godin

Godin
08-04-2006, 08:03 PM
I always assumed the shades of indigo had to do with chakras and things of that nature, but I'm starting to think the song is more physical and political. Good thread.

To be as simple as is possible, the song seems to be about one person who is in no position to be judging anybody else, but still he's done so. He is in no position to be judging anybody else because he is the type of person who is eyeballs deep in their own mess of a life (muddy waters), who's -to be very basic- running from their past (rob grave, snow cradle), who has made his decision about something before all the facts are in (kangaroo court) and so therefore only sees what he wants to see (chosen indigo), but at least this person IS trying to better themselves (lemon juice eye-bath).

He's characterizing a type of person with this song. I don't see any necessary political implications, other than what may be the mention of the word "government" at the end of the song, which I've not yet understood fully.

I'd appreciate it if you were willing to elaborate a bit on the government mention. I'm still in my formative stage with my understanding of this song. What I do know is that every figure of speech complicates it enormously.

-Godin

Aunt Acid
08-04-2006, 08:13 PM
To be as simple as is possible, the song seems to be about one person who is in no position to be judging anybody else, but still he's done so. He is in no position to be judging anybody else because he is the type of person who is eyeballs deep in their own mess of a life (muddy waters), who's -to be very basic- running from their past (rob grave, snow cradle), who has made his decision about something before all the facts are in (kangaroo court) and so therefore only sees what he wants to see (chosen indigo), but at least this person IS trying to better themselves (lemon juice eye-bath).

He's characterizing a type of person with this song. I don't see any necessary political implications, other than what may be the mention of the word "government" at the end of the song, which I've not yet understood fully.

I'd appreciate it if you were willing to elaborate a bit on the government mention. I'm still in my formative stage with my understanding of this song. What I do know is that every figure of speech complicates it enormously.

-Godin

I like, I like.

JunkyWolf
08-07-2006, 07:24 AM
It doesn't matter whether you or anybody else thinks the idea of eye-improving lemon juice is ridiculous or not. It only matters that SOME PEOPLE DO BELIEVE IT WORKS, and this is what Maynard is NO DOUBT alluding to with the phrase in the song. I caps locked you only to express my certainty. :-)

Both the indigo/chakra thing and the lemon juice therapy thing are big in the new-age spiritual circles. I've spent a lot of time in Sedona, Arizona, which is the neighboring town to where Maynard lives, and Sedona is considered to be a very spiritual artistic community. They are all about putting lemon juice in your eye over there. :-) Anyway, if you want to find out for yourself that such beliefs do exist independent of this message base, then go to ask.com and type in the following words: lemon juice eye, then separately, indigo chakra.

-Godin

Then, going by what you are saying, shouldn't the line be "puttin' lemon juice up in the your eye". Since, afterall, if he is putting it in his eye, that would atest to it being HIS idea to change and make himself better.

As it is now, he says, "gettin lemon juice up in your eye'". It would imply that he is...well...getting something put (or thrown) in his eye, and since we all know that lemon juice stings the eye, it would seem to imply that he is now blinded by something. Or stung by something, at the very least.

And I still wish he would have come up with something better than lemon juice.

HARDTOOL
08-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Then, going by what you are saying, shouldn't the line be "puttin' lemon juice up in the your eye". Since, afterall, if he is putting it in his eye, that would atest to it being HIS idea to change and make himself better.

As it is now, he says, "gettin lemon juice up in your eye'". It would imply that he is...well...getting something put (or thrown) in his eye, and since we all know that lemon juice stings the eye, it would seem to imply that he is now blinded by something. Or stung by something, at the very least.

And I still wish he would have come up with something better than lemon juice.

This is my view as well: "got lemon juice up in your eye". Had to be a lemon because of how the event goes down, a sudden unexpected squirt to wake you up and pay you the just pain you deserve apparently. Could of been gasoline, but this is less frequent of an occurence, get it. I'm used to the lemon juice line now and i see it as part of yet another incredibly unique and unbeieveable Tool song.

Just like Zep's "Lemon Song" except its running down his leg, oh no wait thats not juice. Now I've confused myself....Just be careful when you sqeeze them.....

wesho(t)hefucke(r)ight??
08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
i like the oligopolise idea much more than any other, much more than the ganja police bit. i admit after reading other threads more specificaly about that last line i can understand where the ganja police line could fit but i honestly dont think the underlying reference to marijauna really does stretch as far as that. of course id be open to hear any new ideas about it, but i give many points to the first mention of this..

HARDTOOL
08-08-2006, 07:20 AM
willing to bet he says "got to believe" as opposed to anything else.

Godin
08-09-2006, 09:31 AM
i can understand where the ganja police line could fit but i honestly dont think the underlying reference to marijauna really does stretch as far as that. of course id be open to hear any new ideas about it..

If he DOES say "ganja police", then considering the context that the rest of the song provides I'd have to interpret ganja police to mean the following:

Tree hugging type people who smoke weed, induce themselves into a "hippy haze", and shake their fingers critically at everybody else. They are not "ganja police" in the sense that they're trying to arrest people for smoking marijuana. They are police type fellows who uphold the ideals of people who smoke ganja and exist in a "hippy haze".

Considering all the other figures of speech in this song and the type of person they all collectively characterize, this translation of ganja police isn't that crazy.

-Godin

Godin
08-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Lemon jouice in the eye means to fake cry..shades of indigo is a metaphor for when a bitch crys and here makeup runs, so like blue shit running down.

Hey man, is this just speculation or do you have a credible source for this?

-Godin

DON IOTAE
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
^ yeah, the source is called common sense.

Liquid Identity 010
08-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Just to clarify on the indigo bit. No metaphor there, really.
Indigo is a synthetic color. It also happens to be blue in color like 'tears'. Now you see how it ties together.
Lemon juice will make your eyes water = fake tears.
Weeping tears of chosen(still think this is wrong) indigo = again fake/synthetic in nature. Manufactured... not real.

---
Yes I know indigo was naturally produced in the past but when you see indigo nowadays it is 100% synthetic dye and is the most common of synthetic colors.

Azrae1
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
I hear, near the end, "Ganja? Puh-LEASE! You must have been out your Miii~nd!"
Still contemplating many things, so I have little else to share at the moment...

etc43
08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
I always thought this song was directed at the Ganja Police, people who arrest others for marijuana usage. In the meantime, though, alcohol consumption and smoking can be just as destructive, though legal, and many of the Ganja Police partake in both. So who are they to wave their fingers? That's what I've always gotten out of the song, at least.

Godin
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Just to clarify on the indigo bit. No metaphor there, really...It also happens to be blue in color like 'tears'. Now you see how it ties together.

In cartoons, tears are blue. In real life they are clear, like water. :-)

Lemon juice will make your eyes water = fake tears.
Weeping tears of chosen(still think this is wrong) indigo = again fake/synthetic in nature. Manufactured... not real.

I've heard the "lemon juice makes your eyes water" thing before on here... ok, if you're right about indigo and lemon juice referring to tears, then what is the relevance of tears to the point of the song? How does it all tie together?

I'm not sure if you missed my original post about how indigo is associated with the "third eye" chakra, and that improving your eyesight by washing your eyes with lemon juice is practiced by some. These two things, the indigo association to the third eye chakra and the lemon juice eye-wash are very much practiced by the types of people who live in the town which directly neighbors the town of which Maynard supposedly lives in. I know. I've got relatives who live in Maynard's neighboring town, Sedona, Arizona, and they're all about improving your eyesight with lemon juice, and they're all about trying to convince me that they can actually see the indigo color radiating out from my forhead. This is not obscure knowledge for these people, and is not obscure for MJK I'm sure since he lives right within their community.

To further solidify my point, as I think I've mentioned in this thread pretty recently, the lyric "Noooooow, you're reaping/weeping shades of chosen indigo, got lemon juice up in your HIGH EYE". High eye=third eye=don't you now think the indigo/third eye thing has a little something to it?

In the middle of the song (4:10), no matter how hard I listen I can't seem to get the exact lyrics. But, I'd swear he's saying "Reaping shades of indigo, CHAKRA mumble-mumble-mumble, Reaping shades of indigo...."

Check it out. But really, I think this lemon juice thing should be settled by now. If you just look up in GOOGLE or ASK.COM about the third eye chakra or lemon-juice eyewashes then you'll see immediately that I'm not making this stuff up. Most importantly, fake tears would have no relevance to the meaning of the song. Mention of a third eye chakra and improving your powers of perception would clearly be in line with the type of stuff that Tool typically discusses within their music, especially the third eye thing.

-Godin

theDEXorphan
08-15-2006, 06:37 PM
i like lemonade

Godin
08-17-2006, 07:16 PM
i like lemonade

Yeah, I ALWAYS make it a point to stop at lemonade stands that little kids build on the side of the road. It makes their day...

JERUSALEM
10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
yeah . i think now hes saying ''cozen'' indigo.
'cozen'-meaning to cheat or decieve.

insaner
10-03-2007, 09:28 PM
i figured this song out tonight. after two years...