PDA

View Full Version : Comparison to Fight Club (possible spoilers)

patthew
05-29-2006, 12:26 PM
I read Fight Club a few weeks ago and in the few final chapters, me being the Tool geek I am, I was reminded a lot of the song Pushit.

Spoilers Abound from this point forward:
The way that the main character has to destroy Tyler to continue living, the way that they are both essentially one, how Tyler is a shadow of sorts for the main character/narrator, and a lot of other things.

I'm not saying either of these were written with the other in mind because they probably weren't, I just noticed some parallels and wondered if anybody else saw this too.

wearethestories
05-30-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm not saying either of these were written with the other in mind because they probably weren't, I just noticed some parallels and wondered if anybody else saw this too.

I didn't see it before, but the comparison to "Pushit" (as well as "H.") is definitely applicable.

Duality/Dual Nature is definitely present in both the novel/movie and the songs.

renegade46n2
07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Very old thread. But I read Fight Club a few weeks ago and actually did see some Tool-related ideas in it. Great book.

Lysander
07-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Here's another great piece of media that I think of every time I listen to Tool: "You beat this fuckin' prick long enough he'll tell you he started the goddamn Chicago fire, but that don't fuckin' necessarily make it fuckin' so! Come on, man! Think!" Chris Pen, R.I.P.

(self(other
08-05-2006, 04:02 AM
Aenema's outlook seems to click with Tyler's philosophy as well