PDA

View Full Version : Lipan and Peyote use

TheUglyEye
05-27-2006, 09:00 PM
During his field work in the 1930's, Opler (1936); learned that the Mescaleros had practiced rather elaborate ceremonies centering on the utilization of peyote for some forty years and that the Lipans had used it in shamanistic contexts (Opler, 1938, 1940, 1945)·
According to the aged informant Antonio Apache, the Lipans obtained peyote from the Carrizo Indians (Opler, 1938); and the Mescaleros are said to have learned peyote rites from the Lipans not long before 1870 (LaBarre, 1938) or from the Tonkawas, Lipans, Yaquis, or other non-Apachean groups of northern Mexico (Opler, 1936:148). But for some slight degree of experimentation by today's young people with marijuana and perhaps LSD, the reservation Apaches are not known to have used any other hallucinogenic drugs with the exception of alcohol. Modern informants affirm that peyote has been and may now be used for social purposes, but that formerly it was ingested only during Mescalero and Lipan shamanistic ceremonies. We have been unable to confirm its use during the years 1958-71. No one now has knowledge of peyote use by the Chiricahuas of the reservation.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/MESCSHAM.HTM

journeyman
05-29-2006, 01:38 PM
That was exactly the repsonse I had when this song played for the first time (despite my limited experience of the sacred use of entheogenic cacti)

mike09
05-29-2006, 03:37 PM
perhaps...i want to try some...

rswanson
06-02-2006, 01:25 PM
in the 30's & 40's morris opler wrote several books about the apache and mescalero peoples, including 'myths and tales of the lipan apache'... it is easy to read some of the tales recounted in these books and imagine how inspired their rituals and superstitions must have been...perhaps a member of tool had read one of opler's books and from it drawn inspiration of his own.

the band does spend considerable time not far from this area of the country.

Jebussaves
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM
If you would like to try some get the pervian form here......they ship in like a week you have it

http://www.herbalfire.com/

It's where i get my salvia