PDA

View Full Version : Why such a title?

TOOLEK
05-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Whu do You think they called this song "Rosetta stoned". My only idea is that "Rosetta Stone" was a key to the Egyptian herogliphs, and similarly this song (along with Lost Keys) is a key to something. However why Rosetta stoned?? Really don't know, maybe it was Maynard's way to mock the whole issue. Finally this song is very ironic.

Boom Boom
05-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Whu do You think they called this song "Rosetta stoned". My only idea is that "Rosetta Stone" was a key to the Egyptian herogliphs, and similarly this song (along with Lost Keys) is a key to something. However why Rosetta stoned?? Really don't know, maybe it was Maynard's way to mock the whole issue. Finally this song is very ironic.

I think that "Rosetta Stoned" is refering to the guy in the song. "Rosetta Stone" was the key to Egyptian hierogliphs, and similarly the guy in the song is the key to an alien message important to humanity, but the guy is "stoned" by drugs, so comes out the ironic wordplay "Rosetta stonED"

TOOLEK
05-27-2006, 02:09 AM
I think that "Rosetta Stoned" is refering to the guy in the song. "Rosetta Stone" was the key to Egyptian hierogliphs, and similarly the guy in the song is the key to an alien message important to humanity, but the guy is "stoned" by drugs, so comes out the ironic wordplay "Rosetta stonED"
Great interpretation!

Darkness13
05-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Wait... So why is this song ironic?

TOOLEK
05-27-2006, 06:45 AM
It's very ironic. just look at the ending "overwhelemed as one would be, placed in my position, such a heavy burden now to be the one, born to bear and write You all the details of our ending, to write it down for all the world to see". These words and music have an excellent momentum, it's one of the best climaxes in the history of the music. And then You suddenly have "But I forgot my pen, shit the bed again". Maynard is very ironic. To me this irony refers to the guy he is singing about in the song, but on some level also to him. We expected Tool to release "Lateralus 2" where all the topics from Lateralus would be extended, so we expected something like the final step in the evolution, and now Maynard says that he does not have the anwsers, he is looking but he's far away from the real answers. That's what I think.

timstead
05-27-2006, 06:53 AM
or rather that's the point TOOLEK, you can always sense the answers, you can sometimes experience the clues, and many can experience their form of answer, but whether stoned or not, whether you have a pen or not, such experiences are not things that one Can write down, and for those who have it's something you really cannot share with anyone else. knowledge is knowledge w/e but the only thing you can ever truly learn can not come from information, only from within. even if maynard could explain what he knows through w/e you wouldn't see it as such. perhaps he has already, we just can't see it
and that's okay~~~
cuz we wouldn't be able to no matter how hard we try

good luck on your journey
much love
timste~

TOOLEK
05-27-2006, 07:30 AM
or rather that's the point TOOLEK, you can always sense the answers, you can sometimes experience the clues, and many can experience their form of answer, but whether stoned or not, whether you have a pen or not, such experiences are not things that one Can write down, and for those who have it's something you really cannot share with anyone else. knowledge is knowledge w/e but the only thing you can ever truly learn can not come from information, only from within. even if maynard could explain what he knows through w/e you wouldn't see it as such. perhaps he has already, we just can't see it
and that's okay~~~
cuz we wouldn't be able to no matter how hard we try

good luck on your journey
much love
timste~
You are a very wise man, no doubt there is a lot of truth in Your words. It's great that Tool has such intelligent and self-realized fans. I'm gonna keep Your words. All the best for You, too.

æmoeba•°·.
05-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Rossetta Stoned, is speaking about the person, the 'key', in a state of mind, bringing a "revolution (just like the Rossetta Stone) and unlocking something.

Nate-Dogg85
05-28-2006, 08:10 AM
unlocking something, or proving that drugs drive you mad?

What i was thinking, is that the rosetta stone served such a great purpose, that this is maynards way of making a crack on drugs by putting the 'D' at the end of Stone. Its cool though, its written vaguely enough that you can pull almost anything out of it, and its completely unbiased, which just fuels debates like these.

Jimmeny
05-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I think we can all agree Rosetta Stoned is a terrible track title.

Loveboat Captain
05-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Rostta Stoned is an awesome title.

Volrath
05-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Rosetta Stoned is a joke title, it's something a fourteen year old would come up with to try and sound cool. And it's because of this reason why it fits this song so amazingly good.

TiVa
05-28-2006, 11:18 AM
maybe it's a clue to the PUZZLE rosseta stoned, 3 languages to translate, so if we use this song we can hear a totally different thing!!! OMG I FOUND THE SECRET OF THIS ALBUM!!!! ITS THE TITLE ROSSETA STONED!!!

just kidding ;) great song, great tittle and i agree with boom boom about the interpretation...

EternalSiGN
05-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Rosetta Stoned is a joke title, it's something a fourteen year old would come up with to try and sound cool. And it's because of this reason why it fits this song so amazingly good.
i disagree it very thought out and a play on words as others have said... so there for its not a joke

kabir
05-28-2006, 08:20 PM
i actually have come up with a thought about part of why. will post asap.

JOK3R
05-28-2006, 08:40 PM
interesting stuff

OGT from back in the day
05-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Rossetta Stoned, is speaking about the person, the 'key', in a state of mind, bringing a "revolution (just like the Rossetta Stone) and unlocking something.
is your little thing below ur post supposed to be a penis? cuz all i see is a ball sack and a shaft

pneuma
05-29-2006, 02:01 AM
It's very ironic. just look at the ending "overwhelemed as one would be, placed in my position, such a heavy burden now to be the one, born to bear and write You all the details of our ending, to write it down for all the world to see". These words and music have an excellent momentum, it's one of the best climaxes in the history of the music. And then You suddenly have "But I forgot my pen, shit the bed again". Maynard is very ironic. To me this irony refers to the guy he is singing about in the song, but on some level also to him. We expected Tool to release "Lateralus 2" where all the topics from Lateralus would be extended, so we expected something like the final step in the evolution, and now Maynard says that he does not have the anwsers, he is looking but he's far away from the real answers. That's what I think.

you are indeed a very deep thinker.
my first though was the story of Jesus reborn, probably cause of all the other chrstian points of view on the album, who's locked away as a lunatic or junkie, or something.
but i don't know...

Volrath
05-29-2006, 06:21 AM
i disagree it's very thought out and a play on words as others have said... so there for its not a joke
It's a play on words yes but an extremely simple one. Anyone could come up with it.