PDA

View Full Version : Can you sing 'the' bit!

tiryth
05-26-2006, 12:04 PM
High is the way, but our lives are up on the ground
You are the light and the way, they'll only read about
I only pray heaven knows when to lift you out
Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough
You're going home…

and/or

Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now! My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings!"

Heres my go altho i only had time to do the first bit - its only semi-serious so dont shoot me down for being a shit singer ;)

http://media.putfile.com/10000-days-67

awaking
05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
uhmm sweet vocal effect. sounded alright. i aint about to make an ass of myself tho.. well maybe if i had a mic i would

Systolic
05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Im working on it - I'm going to perfect this one, unlike my Pot intro.

vinegar_tom
05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
You're going home…

and/or

Heres my go altho i only had time to do the first bit - its only semi-serious so dont shoot me down for being a shit singer ;)

That totally rules! You should PM me or something, cause I want to download that to my hard drive. More importantly, you should do the second part, you're good. This is my favorite part of this epic, btw. It's a sheer climax.

edit: nevermind about PMing. I just saved the page, and picked out the sound file. But, you should still do the rest. good stuff

Systolic
05-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Okay - I got it pretty decent I think. I think on the very last note I start running out of air, and you can KIND of hear it, but I think this is good. Please don't flame me if you think its not.. but do tell me what you think.

http://media.putfile.com/Section-of-10000-Days

Wretched
05-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Okay - I got it pretty decent I think. I think on the very last note I start running out of air, and you can KIND of hear it, but I think this is good. Please don't flame me if you think its not.. but do tell me what you think.

That was tuff.

Tyro
05-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Nice vibrato and longetivity. Tone isn't bad, but not as good as the afformentioned other two.

Edit: Intonation as well deserved an A.

formerlycontent
05-26-2006, 06:25 PM
You're going home…

and/or

uhm nowhere near as good as the pot intro i heard you do, which was actually really good. this one though 2/10 & thats being generous.

vinegar_tom
05-26-2006, 06:41 PM
uhm nowhere near as good as the pot intro i heard you do, which was actually really good. this one though 2/10 & thats being generous.
it sounds quite good to me. I keep listening to it. Also her entire pot and vicarious.

Dross
05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey Tyrith you have a cool voice. I'm not a musician or anything but if you were to be in a rock band that sounds anything like Tool and maybe take vocal lessons I'd surely be into that. You definitly have a cool sounding unique voice that isn't out there in rock anyway.

Here's my crappy attempt. First take.. don't know if I can do any better anyway.

http://media.putfile.com/Wings-Pt-2---By-Dross

MoreTool
05-28-2006, 06:34 PM
http://media.putfile.com/10000d

have fun

Systolic
05-28-2006, 10:44 PM
http://media.putfile.com/10000d

have fun

Your legato needs some work, but overall in the first exampe your intonation is good.

On higher stuff, watch out for glottal attacks... What I mean by that is that your vocal onset, or the way you approach the introduction of a pitch, is too rigid so it sounds like you're heaving the words out. Try and get a good strong breath using your diaphragm and not heaving your shoulders up. I can tell by the way you sung that you breathe from your chest, which is a habit that just about every singer has to break free of.. overall nice work though.

Melanos
05-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Your legato needs some work, but overall in the first exampe your intonation is good.

On higher stuff, watch out for glottal attacks... What I mean by that is that your vocal onset, or the way you approach the introduction of a pitch, is too rigid so it sounds like you're heaving the words out. Try and get a good strong breath using your diaphragm and not heaving your shoulders up. I can tell by the way you sung that you breathe from your chest, which is a habit that just about every singer has to break free of.. overall nice work though.

That was "nice work"? I am sorry, but dont quit you day job bro. I'm not trying to be mean..... just honest.

Systolic
05-29-2006, 12:33 AM
That was "nice work"? I am sorry, but dont quit you day job bro. I'm not trying to be mean..... just honest.

Well it wasn't perfect, but he did pretty well at the beginning.

MoreTool
05-29-2006, 03:39 AM
lol, don't take this too serious guy. But thanks for the advice

I'll try to do one better when i'll come back of work, i know i can be better than that, lol

formerlycontent
05-29-2006, 03:46 AM
i thought it was good moretool

Randall
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Horrible, you guys ruin the meaning in the song, i cant believe i wasted 2-5 mins listening to these. Plus the fact that your doing it from non-serious to semi-serious. Just for the love of anything dont do another, "can you sing this part" thread again. Horrid.......

Systolic
05-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Horrible, you guys ruin the meaning in the song, i cant believe i wasted 2-5 mins listening to these. Plus the fact that your doing it from non-serious to semi-serious. Just for the love of anything dont do another, "can you sing this part" thread again. Horrid.......

Four words.

Fuck off and die.

MoreTool
05-29-2006, 02:11 PM

I think those threads are really funny. You're just to bad to give it a try.
http://media.putfile.com/10kd

Randall
05-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Four words.

Fuck off and die.

1 word

Okay.....

Randall
05-29-2006, 07:00 PM
I think those threads are really funny. You're just to bad to give it a try.
http://media.putfile.com/10kd

Maybe im just not cool enough to waste time and energy by putting me singing a perfectly good osng, but also ruining it in the process......

Akasha
05-29-2006, 07:24 PM
High is the way, but our lives are up on the ground...

Am i the only one who heres the lyrics as "I is the way, but our lives are up off the ground"?? I can here it as "High is the way, but our lives are up on the ground..." but i keep leaning towards "I is the way, but our lives are up off the ground". Even when maynard says "I only pray heaven knows when to lift you out.." the "I" kinda sounds like "high".

Only reason i think my version would make more sense is cos of the whole link to what jesus whas supposed to have said, "I AM the way the truth and the light" (maynard is obviously refering to this by using "you were the light and the way that theyl only read about"), in spiritual (occult if u will) terms, that quote doesnt mean that jesus is the way the truth and the light, it means that you are the way the truth and the light, if you say that quote from your own perspective as if you came up with it, it takes on a whole different meaning.

So, if it is "I is the way, but our lives are up off the ground" and the fact that we all know maynard isnt christian, so the only other angle he could be taking is taking lessons from an event in history, this event being jesus saying "I am the way the truth and the light" but maynard taking a more spiritual angle could take the message of "I (maynard, or insert your name here) is the way the truth and the light" and putting that into his lyrics. Seems to make more sense to me in terms of the song as a whole.

people_do_like_me
05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Here is my attempt.....The other part shortly.

http://media.putfile.com/10000daysattempt

tiryth
05-30-2006, 05:38 AM

its a bit of fun - chill out

think of all the fans at concerts who sing along who have way worse voices than we do - we arent auditioning for fucking pop idol or american idol or anything, we're just having a laff

chill - or just dont bother listening.

CaseLogic
05-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Maybe im just not cool enough to waste time and energy by putting me singing a perfectly good osng, but also ruining it in the process......

Who are you to wave your mighty finger at me

koobcam
05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
hahaha. I know what he means. I mean, this is all fun and all, but Maynard is the only one who can sing it (the way it sounds). As for The Pot, that was jsut downright funny!
This is less funny. People trying to hard etc...

EternalSiGN
05-30-2006, 10:22 AM
im sorry i give u all props for the fact that u have the balls 2 post this.. but i didn't hear a desent tone in any of them.. they all sounded flat 2 me.. but it could just b because they aint great recordings...

Randall
05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Who are you to wave your mighty finger at me

Who are you to say lyrics you didn't write without quotes?.....

and yes quit ruining the song by singing to it......

Jon08
05-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Who are you to say lyrics you didn't write without quotes?.....

and yes quit ruining the song by singing to it......

STOP RUINING MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good job everyone who sang. i really enjoyed people using their energy to create something positive and creative.

stu
05-30-2006, 04:03 PM
your parents should all be ashamed

fan2005
05-30-2006, 04:08 PM
its a bit of fun - chill out

think of all the fans at concerts who sing along who have way worse voices than we do - we arent auditioning for fucking pop idol or american idol or anything, we're just having a laff

chill - or just dont bother listening.

word.

nighthawk
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
You're going home…

and/or

it's not bad but sound like a church choir

mike09
05-30-2006, 05:40 PM

Do us all a favor and do a shot of Draino. Thanks skankrifle.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Systolic sounds the worse.
sounds like a vegas singer.
what a joke.
i'm embarresed for you.
everyone else sounds pretty decent.

iknowmaynard
05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
+100000000000000

tiryth
05-31-2006, 01:34 AM
it's not bad but sound like a church choir

hm? ok - i was trying to replicate the harmonies, so i guess it kinda would - i had to do 4 takes all in different keys to get that

jeeez - all that 10 minutes of effort to sound like a church choir hehe -

i may try even harder when my cold disappears but then, this wasnt meant to be a serious thread - i'm sure the band would have a laugh if they heard all these and as for the people who keep telling us to stop singing

STOP LISTENING IF YOU DONT LIKE IT!

bloody hell - its like the people who complain about things they see on tv to watchdog or whatever, just change the fucking channel if you dont like it

same goes for the singing threads, whats the point of listening if you're gonna just slag people off and tell us to shut up

we're having fun

go play with on the 'freeway'! (its motorway in my country but i wanna get the point accross here)

formerlycontent
05-31-2006, 03:48 AM
go play with on the 'freeway'! (its motorway in my country but i wanna get the point accross here)

does anyone kinda find it ironic that in some places you have to pay to enter the freeway?

flawlessme
05-31-2006, 05:47 AM
"High is the way..."
http://rapidshare.de/files/21852022/10000.mp3.html

"You're the only one...."
http://rapidshare.de/files/21852645/wings.mp3.html

The second one I think I screwed up pretty bad. And sorry about all the background noises.

tiryth
06-01-2006, 05:51 AM
"High is the way..."
http://rapidshare.de/files/21852022/10000.mp3.html

"You're the only one...."
http://rapidshare.de/files/21852645/wings.mp3.html

The second one I think I screwed up pretty bad. And sorry about all the background noises.

they are cool - its wicked to hear people having a crack at this, i like the way your accent comes through its really cool

gonna put my new ones up later i hope - :)

flawlessme
06-01-2006, 07:34 AM
^^Thank you very much. Yeah, I'd like to hear yours.

Systolic
06-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Systolic sounds the worse.
sounds like a vegas singer.
what a joke.
i'm embarresed for you.
everyone else sounds pretty decent.

Just because I don't sound like Maynard doesn't mean its bad - and as for sounding like a Vegas singer, that's actually more of a compliment than an insult. I am a vocal music major, and in college, they don't teach you to sing like Maynard. In all actuality, if Maynard went to school right now for vocals, he'd probably flunk out. His voice is classically horrible, just like mine isn't too good for rock music. Don't be so quick to judge, especially if you can't do any better yourself.

Systolic
06-01-2006, 08:49 AM

Sorry about double post:

Look at your fucking avatar and say something else about people being a worthless existence.

BlindVisionary
06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Jesus, it's like a friggin pop idol audition...I couldn't listen after the first few...

Systolic, i love how you try to give advice, you sound just as bad as the rest of them...

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Just because I don't sound like Maynard doesn't mean its bad - and as for sounding like a Vegas singer, that's actually more of a compliment than an insult. I am a vocal music major, and in college, they don't teach you to sing like Maynard. In all actuality, if Maynard went to school right now for vocals, he'd probably flunk out. His voice is classically horrible, just like mine isn't too good for rock music. Don't be so quick to judge, especially if you can't do any better yourself.
Don't be so quick to judge.huh?
especially if i can't do any better myself?
you have no sense of irony, my friend.

Systolic
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Jesus, it's like a friggin pop idol audition...I couldn't listen after the first few...

Systolic, i love how you try to give advice, you sound just as bad as the rest of them...

Its obvious that you dont know what you're talking about.

Ive gone through this several times already. What you hear on CD's has been COMPLETELY polished, more than likely with multiple vocal tracks layered. What that does is "smooths out the edges", so to speak.. if you listen closely, you can hear on albums when singers aren't exactly on pitch, but it still "sounds okay". Thats pure electronics for you. I havent altered my singing whatsoever, no audio equipment, nothing. Just my mic. My voice is not designed for rock music. I'm a classical singer. I'm in college studying vocal music education on 2 different vocal scholarships. If you listen to my recording, I never *miss* any notes. The only things that make mine "sound bad" are

1) The lack of recording quality
and
2) My COMPLETELY different vocal timbre from Maynard.

I dont know what you think is good, but you need to either post your recording on here, and make it better than everyone else's, or you just need to shut up. I know more about vocal pedagogy than you will ever dream of knowing, and if you dont believe it, try me. I've been studying voice for a long time. I cant help it that I don "sound like Maynard". Itsnot good to try and "sound like" people any way. Its like fog in a window. You cant see through to whats REALLY there. All you see is the fog. The voice works the same way, with the attempts to "sound like" Maynard being the fog. When you start working with voice teachers they help you to develop your OWN sound.... and my sound is not a rock sound. I just sing because I enjoy it and because its fun to get other peoples constructive criticism and to hear others' attempts.

Systolic
06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Don't be so quick to judge.huh?
especially if i can't do any better myself?
you have no sense of irony, my friend.

You have no right to judge unless you can prove yourself worthy of it, and to this point you havent shown anyone your amazing talents, so just shut up.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
06-01-2006, 02:44 PM
You have no right to judge unless you can prove yourself worthy of it, and to this point you havent shown anyone your amazing talents, so just shut up.
Chill out dude,
i listened to your pot singing and its good.alright?
And i have nothing against these singing threads, no one is getting harmed.
Their entertaining and something different about this forum.
Why don't you sing the "set as i am in my ways and my arrogance...." part.
I'm curious to if you can pull that off.:)

BlindVisionary
06-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey dude, i'm not comparing you to Maynard or the record. I'm comparing you to someone who can sing, even before being polished. I can spot a good singer when i hear one and to my ears you don't sound so great...

Randall
06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
STOP RUINING MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good job everyone who sang. i really enjoyed people using their energy to create something positive and creative.

Laugh Out Loud...

Randall
06-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Do us all a favor and do a shot of Draino. Thanks skankrifle.

Ill try that, tell you guys the "Trip" ill have or maybe ill just sing it ........

Paradigm619
06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, I had to. These threads are tempting. Here's me just throwing it out there.

First Part:
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/10kd-1.mp3

Second Part:
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/10kd-2.mp3

Systolic
06-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, I had to. These threads are tempting. Here's me just throwing it out there.

First Part:
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/10kd-1.mp3

Second Part:
http://www.sweepinghalo.com/tool/10kd-2.mp3

Pretty good! :)

neotoma
06-03-2006, 01:47 PM
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7593E762514AEF00

inSin
06-03-2006, 03:11 PM

nice job overall

Porcusoru
06-06-2006, 07:09 AM
There are 2 types of people: people who can sing and people who can't.

You are all part of the second cathegory..well except neotoma.. who really isn't that bad.. good job, m8.
If you feel I'm wrong...you're either tone deaf or narcissistic :))

Neotoma ?! do you have other recordings of yourself ?!

vinegar_tom
06-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Oh, that was great. Perfect in fact. You should do the other part as well.

muhaaa
06-10-2006, 02:18 PM

doesn't work now :(

tiryth
10-26-2006, 03:25 AM
just to add - ive heard some live stuff of maynard singing this song and he sounds worse than ALL of us! the link was posted on here to a site thats got some streaming stuff of the new stuff - 10,000 days is ROUGH as you like

so NER!

Tachyon
10-27-2006, 03:40 PM
All your tries, those who can and those who can't, prove that there's only one who can be the voice of TOOL and that's MJK. Sorry.

Jimmeny
10-28-2006, 01:57 AM
THERE'S ONLY ONE PERSON THAT CAN SOUND LIKE MJK AND THAT'S MJK SORRY TO TELL YOU ALL BUT I DEFINATELY KNOW MY SHIT.

Silly bastard.

mr. nikki jensen
10-28-2006, 11:10 AM
expect a try from me in time...

mr. nikki jensen
11-10-2006, 08:05 AM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u46qct

i think it sounds awfull but what do you think...

base metal
11-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I couldn't get it to play so I'm not sure, but I give everyone credit for trying and having the balls to post their attempts on the internet. (wish I had a mic.)

Anyway, I think it would be hilarious to do a 'can you sing it' thread for the screams in Ticks and Leaches, Jimmy and The Grudge. I would enjoy that..LoL.

hereandthere
11-12-2006, 01:07 AM
these all blow totally and completely

arcane
11-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Personally, I love these threads. My sinuses are blocked at the moment, but I might give it a go anyway...

PryThirdEye
11-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Every time I listened to these, I got chills. I don't know why.

Paradigm, nice job man. Couldn't get to the ones after his though. =(

Caley
12-07-2006, 05:36 AM
I um...I can sing very well, this is no sweat. I've been workin' on rosetta stoned and 10,000 days lyrically as well as on bass, and i have gotten pretty good. \^-^/

sphereco
12-07-2006, 11:56 PM
kudos to all of you.........I'ts not the easiest bit. especially the 1st part.

Salvatorin
12-28-2006, 06:16 PM
MY COMPUTER DOESN'T RECOGNISE THIS PUTFILE THINGY!!!!!!!!!!! *grumble*