PDA

View Full Version : All-time classic

Sudafed
05-26-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure any song ever created can compare to 11 minutes and 13 seconds that totally rocks your socks off from the very first note to the very last.

panocha21
05-26-2006, 06:24 AM
This song is played In the spirit of Tenacious D. Maybe Jack Black wrote this song.

konst-a
05-26-2006, 09:49 AM
This song is played In the spirit of Tenacious D. Maybe Jack Black wrote this song.

The same idea came to my mind also: "couldn't remember the best message about the end of the world"

tbrent21
05-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Over 11 minutes sounds long in theory -- but for this song, the truth is I usually can't get through it in just 11:11. I've got my headphones on, listening while I am doing some work or something else on the computer, then I realize I lost my attention on the song, go back and play from where I last had my attention focused on the song, and then repeat this pattern a couple of times. Then I just realize I have to stop trying to get work done, etc., and just focus on the song all the way through to the end. Of course, then the "Overwhelmed . . . Typical. " sequence, while it does last about a minute, is just so glorious I have to go back to hear that at least one more time.

The point was that I listen to this song pretty much as a daily ritual in the evenings and really is a good 15-20 minute experience before its all said and done.

I can't believe I'm saying this after Lateralus the song, but this might be the best song they've ever done.

Sudafed
05-30-2006, 08:19 AM
I may agree TBrent...

With all the changing sounds that take place in this song its hard not to put it up there as an all-time classic.

It's long, awesome music, unique story / lyrics and each piece of it rocks so damn hard.

I also have to say its the shortest 11 minute song ever. When its over it blows me away that 11 minutes have passed. Doesn't seem possible.

savelints8
05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Classic? I won't disagree with you guys.

Several songs on 10,000 Days sound a lot shorter than they really are. Wings pts. 1&2 does not seem like a 17 minute song. Vicarious seems pretty short when you listen to it, too.

Randall
05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Classic? it just came out last time i checked nothing turns classic in a month.........not checking again

guitarpete987
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I think of all the songs on this album, this is probably the one we will most come back to in 10 years and say "Holy shit, this song hasn't aged a day."

Seriously, this song is massive, and it never lets up in its throwing of incredible moments at you.

I previously thought this about Wings, but the more I hear it I just can't see it being the "hear-and-hear-again" classic of this album. That's not to say it's not phenomenal. But it's just that kinda song you hear once in a while and be awed by it. Like the movie Apocalypse Now. It's one of my top three of all time but I can really only watch that like twice a year.

Rosetta Stoned is like the Godfather. Just as awesome but I somehow can just see that film over and over without much effort.

tbrent21
05-31-2006, 02:18 PM
I think of all the songs on this album, this is probably the one we will most come back to in 10 years and say "Holy shit, this song hasn't aged a day."

Seriously, this song is massive, and it never lets up in its throwing of incredible moments at you.

I previously thought this about Wings, but the more I hear it I just can't see it being the "hear-and-hear-again" classic of this album. That's not to say it's not phenomenal. But it's just that kinda song you hear once in a while and be awed by it. Like the movie Apocalypse Now. It's one of my top three of all time but I can really only watch that like twice a year.

Rosetta Stoned is like the Godfather. Just as awesome but I somehow can just see that film over and over without much effort.

I agree. Wings is great, but for me, its just too sad to be song you'd take with you to a desert island off of this album. The emotional depth of Tool is one part of the picture. But if you were going to take one song with you to that desert island, I think you'd want to take one that F888ing rocked.

Sudafed
05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Classic? it just came out last time i checked nothing turns classic in a month.........not checking again

Instant Classic.

Randall
06-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Instant Classic.

Stern No........

Randall
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
JB does "rock my fucking socks"

champion
06-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Not to be a party buster, but there are 60-70-minute songs that are great from the first minute until the last.

Sudafed
06-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Not to be a party buster, but there are 60-70-minute songs that are great from the first minute until the last.

Sorry... I Can't say i've heard a 70 minute song?