PDA

View Full Version : why it is called "jambi"

telder
05-26-2006, 03:34 AM
The meaning of the song, however interpreted, has been beaten into the ground. At this point, I'm more interested in the actual title. Consider throwing out the Pee-Wee reference or the Indonesian island. Is it possible that Tool named the song simply because of the way Keenan pronounces "dim my eyes" (or "jam my eyes" whatever it is) the second time. It sounds exactly like he is saying jambie. Could it just have been a vocal flub that they embraced? I realize that this is wayyy too simple an explanation, but is this out of the question?

Rhah
05-26-2006, 03:45 AM
or, it could have been called "Jam B" while they were writing it, and they couldnt think of anything else to call it.

And i'm pretty sure it is "Damn my eyes."

Bloody
05-26-2006, 03:47 AM
spell it backwards and you solved the puzzle.

ibmaj.

everyone knows ibmaj

theDEXorphan
05-26-2006, 06:00 AM
or, it could have been called "Jam B" while they were writing it, and they couldnt think of anything else to call it.

."

this was my first thought also when i read the title.
that and the pee wee thing.
i mean who doesn't like jambi?
meca leca hi meca hiney ho!!!

maby it's a mix of the 2

Muladhara
05-26-2006, 06:23 AM

maby it's a mix of the 2

I agree with this, I bet the working title was "Jam B" and maynard thought it'd be interesting to write a song about wishing fame away for something and calling it Jambi.

telder
05-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Proud of the responses. I never thought of the "Jam B" avenue.

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 07:40 AM
No fuckin' way. I'm sorry, but no. fuckin'. way. I think that this entire thread is reatarded. You can't just forget about the mountainous island kingdom that was ruled by a Sultan and divided by the interest of foreign imperialists until its strength withered away and was eventually swallowed by the tide of colonialism. The telling of this story doesn't proclude the telling of other stories through this song, but the fact that it is told means that it CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE THAT THE NAME OF THE SONG IS JAMBI. All this suggestion of embracing a lyrical foible or non-specific-title "Jam B" is beneath the intelect of a band that plans such incredible intricacies into every second of every CD. THINK!

Rhah
05-26-2006, 07:41 AM
I think someone on this forum, or possible at 10000-days.com, already mentioned the "Jam B" thing, so i am in no way taking credit for it.

it does make some sort of sense though.

I have to say, even though i do enjoy this song immensely, its extremely simple for a Tool song. it works really well, but compared to the rest of the album this song definitly feels more like a jam.

Although, as the poster above stated, there is that Jambi in indonesia connection, although what the Benevolent son/sun has to do with that i'm not sure.

koobcam
05-26-2006, 07:42 AM
No fuckin' way. I'm sorry, but no. fuckin'. way. I think that this entire thread is reatarded......THINK!

hahahahhahaha. riiiight.

theDEXorphan
05-26-2006, 07:43 AM
I think someone on this forum, or possible at 10000-days.com, already mentioned the "Jam B" thing, so i am in no way taking credit for it.

it does make sense though.

I have to say, even though i do enjoy this song immensely, its extremely simple for a Tool song. it works really well, but compared to the rest of the album this song definitly feels more like a jam.

a fuckin awsome jam!!!

Rhah
05-26-2006, 07:44 AM
a fuckin awsome jam!!!

indeed.

Cucumber_11
05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
No fuckin' way. I'm sorry, but no. fuckin'. way. I think that this entire thread is reatarded. You can't just forget about the mountainous island kingdom that was ruled by a Sultan and divided by the interest of foreign imperialists until its strength withered away and was eventually swallowed by the tide of colonialism. The telling of this story doesn't proclude the telling of other stories through this song, but the fact that it is told means that it CAN'T BE A COINCIDENCE THAT THE NAME OF THE SONG IS JAMBI. All this suggestion of embracing a lyrical foible or non-specific-title "Jam B" is beneath the intelect of a band that plans such incredible intricacies into every second of every CD. THINK!

So wait? Tool aren't alowed to have dumb names to songs?

'cos Hooker With a Penis is such a clever clever intelectual, above and beyond, insanely spiritual song title. Sooner or later you guys are going to have to realise that Tool can do pretty much what they want with their songs, they don't conform to any singular idea. THINK!

Having said that you were probably being sarcastic....heh

theDEXorphan
05-26-2006, 09:57 AM

'cos Hooker With a Penis is such a clever clever intelectual, above and beyond, insanely spiritual song title. Sooner or later you guys are going to have to realise that Tool can do pretty much what they want with their songs, they don't conform to any singular idea. THINK!

my pants are falling down

telder
05-26-2006, 10:11 AM
No fuckin' way. I'm sorry, but no. fuckin'. way. I think that this entire thread is reatarded. !

It is a true honor to share a thread with such an intellect. I'll sleep better tonight with the thought that you know everything.

telder
05-26-2006, 10:13 AM

My point exactly. Way to drive it home.

teacher
05-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Jambi - Another name for a genie....look it up...."Wish it away"

DTrain
05-26-2006, 11:58 AM

Hooker with a Penis is pure genious, I mean... I really felt like they KNEW the pain I went through that fatefull night... Oh Bambi, why did you have to lie to me?? *sob*

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 12:01 PM

Having said that you were probably being sarcastic....hehTouche- though I was not being sarcastic, my wording is a bit caustic. However, I stand by my main theme. I don't think that every act of Tool's being has to be dedicated to the pursuit of the super-intelectual. I am merely saying that Tool has displayed that they have an intelect. Combine that with the fact that this song is laden with parellel imagery to a real historical struggle in a place with the same name . . . It is a coincidence that is too enormous to dismiss as so many on this board do out of hand.

Your "Hooker With a Penis" example is apt, in that this title is not the paradigm of status-quo intelectualism. But Tool are, of course, not socialite intelectuals- rather they are angry, bitter, sarcastic and disillusioned ones. Anyway, while the title may not fit with the standard perception of intelectualism, it does make sense in the context of the song's continuous allegory to selling one's soul. In this way, it parallels the constant allegory present in "Jambi."

I mean, look at it like this. "Stinkfist" was so named because of an allegory drawn constantly throughout the song to the insertion of an entire arm into an anus. I don't recall a huge buzz throughout the Tool community trying to refute what was such an obvious rationale to this title. I agree to the general rule that posts including languange such as "obvious," et al, are fundamentally flawed. But general rules are termed "general" because they have exceptions. The case of "Stinkfist" is such an instance, and I believe that "Jambi" is such an instance as well.

Yet there are pages and pages in the Jambi sub-forum of unsubstantiated chatter trying to find alternatives to this theory (whether by intention or not). It's frustrating because it is probably the most debated concept in all of Jambi, yet nobody will offer a rationale against the Indonesian Province theory that isn't constituted exclusively of baseless assumptions about what Maynard was thinking. I just want somebody to offer a justification that connects a theme offered in the song to these other suggestions. The fact that there already exists a logically constructed argument on this topic that is very sensical sets the bar very high. Unfortunately, the arguments that I keep seeing miss that lofty target.

All that said, you were right to call me out. I allowed my frustration to cloud my better judgement and call you all retards. You're not. But I stand by the actual meat of my argument.

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 12:05 PM

ibmaj.

everyone knows ibmaj
I probably should have said something like this, instead.

DTrain
05-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Easy answer to the question.

Jambi is a nick/pet name for a person Maynard loves deeply.

ALWAYS takin' the easy way out eh?

Opunaela10
05-26-2006, 12:14 PM
26 de Maio 2006
Festival Super Bock Super Rock XL

LISBOA, Parque Tejo
com as participações de:
Tool / Deftones / Placebo / Alice In Chains

It's being aired LIVE as we speak

http://www.rtp.pt/wportal/antena3/agenda/

moneyisevil
05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
its not jamb-ye or jam my eyes...its dim my eyes

theprosperone
05-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm guessing Tool will come on after the Deftones?

Opunaela10
05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I would think so....playing passenger right now!

NO MAYNARD though :0(

theprosperone
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I was surprised Chino hit those notes and sounded pretty good.

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 12:52 PM

Could you please elaborate without resorting to pure speculation?

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
*sigh* someone said it was just a jam? just a jam? i really dont think so, it actually a very deep song and no, we dont know EXACTLY what its about, but thats part of the fun of TOOL, getting deep within the imagery. So far, I think only SucessfullyPriedOpen has come close to offerning an explaination backed up with fact and a consrtuctive argument instead of mere speculation. I am getting tired of these boards, in the words of Jonny Bravo, they're "getting really old, really fast"

vicariouslyeye
05-26-2006, 02:29 PM

ibmaj.

everyone knows ibmaj

rofl.

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
*sigh* someone said it was just a jam? just a jam? i really dont think so, it actually a very deep song and no, we dont know EXACTLY what its about, but thats part of the fun of TOOL, getting deep within the imagery. So far, I think only SucessfullyPriedOpen has come close to offerning an explaination backed up with fact and a consrtuctive argument instead of mere speculation. I am getting tired of these boards, in the words of Jonny Bravo, they're "getting really old, really fast"

Thank you.

#Notion
05-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I think that this entire thread is reatarded.

http://www.gamertagpics.com/messages/THEASSKICKER/eds%20retarded%20red%20shirt%20friend.jpg

StereoScopicLenses
05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
ALWAYS takin' the easy way out eh?

that might not be the easy way out. that might be true. who's to say it is not? Think about eon blue apocalypse. That song is the name of Adam's dog. I agree; Tool can do whatever the hell they want to do.

StereoScopicLenses
05-26-2006, 03:33 PM
ed j. keenan please quit feeding sucessfullypried's ego.... we don't need more 3 page essays about crap like this.

Terry21
05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I think it's the way he sings damn or dim my eyes. It just sounded like Jambi.

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 04:28 PM
ed j. keenan please quit feeding sucessfullypried's ego.... we don't need more 3 page essays about crap like this.
People's feedback doesn't effect my propensity to type. I guess I just assumed that people who are registered on a Tool board might be able to handle lengthy, cerebral interpretations without compromising the limits of their attention spans.

Take some more ritalin.

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 04:32 PM
that might not be the easy way out. that might be true. who's to say it is not? Think about eon blue apocalypse. That song is the name of Adam's dog. I agree; Tool can do whatever the hell they want to do.
Eon Blue Appocalypse is lyricless. There is no lyrical context to even influence the title. The comparison is flawed. If the assertion that Jambi is a nickname for a loved one (human or otherwise) is true, or even plausible, then maybe we could see some lyrical backup, or some statements from the band that justify this claim. Until then, it is just another unsubstantiated possibility.

justify_denials
05-26-2006, 11:23 PM
The answer lies within the "English Dictionary" upon looking the word "Jambi" up.

æmoeba•°·.
05-26-2006, 11:38 PM
hmmm...i really don't understand the meaning, that's a bit personal because we can't read minds, except for Blair...

theDEXorphan
05-27-2006, 06:34 AM
i thought we werent discussing the songs meaning or lyrics here?
i'm pretty sure this thread was to discuss the title.

Amorphous Logo
05-27-2006, 06:52 AM
It's about Bambi's hard-rockin' younger brother. Duh.

swampyfool
05-27-2006, 07:04 AM
i thought we werent discussing the songs meaning or lyrics here?
i'm pretty sure this thread was to discuss the title.
Oddly enough, in the world of music, lyrics and their meanings can influence the title.

theDEXorphan
05-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Oddly enough, in the world of music, lyrics and their meanings can influence the title.

well gol-ly! thanx.

rustandwine
05-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Anyone notice that the Wikipedia entry for 10,000 Days has removed the ambiguous entry on Jambi? At one time it referred to both the region and the genie...now just the region. Interesting...

...WHAT IS PEE WEE TRYING TO HIDE??

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-27-2006, 01:16 PM

i only said what i thort. I appreciate SPOs insights. i dont appreciate one line speculative posts that mean absolutley nothing or are down right stupid. I don't need to massage his ego, and he doesnt need or want me to do it (i'm guessing). So i hope taht he continues to write 3 pages essays on the subject of tool lyrics and their imagery. I enjoy them, I find them useful. So, rock on SPO, rock on!

Also, what have your contribution been to this thread? Huh? whats that i didnt quite hear you? Oh right, you havent contributed anything intelligent or related to the topic? ok, well i am aware that i have conributed minimally, and i wouldnt have even posted if it wasnt for your comment bashing one of the few genuinly insightful members of this board.

so hows about you go back to whereever you cam from and think about what you have done and probably will continue to do. Perhaps then you'l see hoe little this board needs people lie you.TTFN

EJK (thats my real name too, how cool am I? hahahahahahaha)

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-27-2006, 01:27 PM

I thort that "hooker with a penis" was actually quite a clever name for the song.

Stiff13y3
05-27-2006, 02:01 PM
I thort that "hooker with a penis" was actually quite a clever name for the song.

i agree, it might not sound well thought out and intellectual blah blah, but it does fit the songs subject matter i feel, and in that it is an apt title. well thats what i reckon.

swampyfool
05-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Anyone notice that the Wikipedia entry for 10,000 Days has removed the ambiguous entry on Jambi? At one time it referred to both the region and the genie...now just the region. Interesting...

...WHAT IS PEE WEE TRYING TO HIDE??
Public masturbation from the police . . . . . ?

Actually, I noticed that, too. I looked up Pee-Wee's playhouse, and the genie's name is in fact spelled "Jambi-" so what gives, Wikipedia? Who is inducing you in this cover-up?

theDEXorphan
05-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Public masturbation from the police . . . . . ?

Actually, I noticed that, too. I looked up Pee-Wee's playhouse, and the genie's name is in fact spelled "Jambi-" so what gives, Wikipedia? Who is inducing you in this cover-up?

maynard is pee wee in disguise

hbynoe
05-27-2006, 03:08 PM
i have no clue of the reasons of the name
i have looked up info on the country
on the genie..in pee wee..

i think that the jam b...is a pretty cool deduction but
we wont ever really know the real meaning until the band
speaks...however this song is the most abstract on the album
for me..the least cohesive and one of the stranger tool songs
i have ever heard...and i absolutely love how it fucks with the time
and in so doing me....

allusion7.0
05-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I probably should have said something like this, instead.
heeheeheehee

swampyfool
05-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Eon Blue Appocalypse is lyricless. There is no lyrical context to even influence the title. The comparison is flawed. If the assertion that Jambi is a nickname for a loved one (human or otherwise) is true, or even plausible, then maybe we could see some lyrical backup, or some statements from the band that justify this claim. Until then, it is just another unsubstantiated possibility.

you just lost any respect that I may have at one point had for you. Jesus Christ, man. Some bands use music to say something. Fuck, you're stupid. Lyrics can be a gateway, but if the music doesn't speak than it's just poetry. come on.

Woah, waoh. I never said that the music of "Eon Blue Appocalypse" (or any other music, for that matter) was incapable of conveying any context, or that it wasn't a fundamentally fantastic, musical expression (it is). All I said was that it did not have any lyrical context at all (and it doesn't). I love good, instrumental music. King Crimson, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa . . . Those are some of my favorite sources for such, but the list is far too long to name them all . . .

Respect me, don't respect me; call me brilliant, call me stupid; call me insightful, call me pretentious; I don't really give a fuck. Just don't put words in my mouth so you can scapegoat your rage against an industry that seems to frown upon exclusively instrumental expression.

"IS WAYNE BRADY GONNA HAVE TO CHOKE A BITCH?"

swampyfool
05-27-2006, 04:20 PM
i have no clue of the reasons of the name
i have looked up info on the country
on the genie..in pee wee..

i think that the jam b...is a pretty cool deduction but
we wont ever really know the real meaning until the band
speaks...however this song is the most abstract on the album
for me..the least cohesive and one of the stranger tool songs
i have ever heard...and i absolutely love how it fucks with the time
and in so doing me....
That's an excellent description of the Jambi experience.

Don't you (as a person who has familiarized yourself with Indonesian geography) think that the lyrical context gives credence to Provincial Jambi?

"Here from the king's mountain view"
(Jambi is a very mountainous area)

"Feast like a sultan I do"
(Jambi was ruled by sultans, including Sultan Taha, who ruled during the portion of Indonesian history that I believe the song references)

"No pressure/prize here could hold sway or justify my kneeling away my center"
(Even mighty pressures, like a hostile takeover of half the nation; or prizes offered for cooperation, like an honorary title in a new hierarchy; could allow him to kneel away his center, as in swearing fealty to the Dutch Imperialists who threatened to take the rest by force)

"Divided, I'm witherin' away"
(Sultan Taha ruled only half of what was his birthright, and his people- of whom he was the representation- were suffering, withering, because of it)

I realize that other stories are told here, as well. But is it not possible that he uses the history of Jambi as a vehicle to tell his own stories, lending his stories a greater magnitude of significance while lending the story of Jambi a more personal degree of empathy? Or globalizing the tragedy of the individual while personalizing the tragedy of the many and attacking the exposed, unified, root evils behind all such tragedies? I think that it's likely. Thus to me, it follows that he could be using the title "Jambi" as a statement of summation.

What do you (or anyone else) think?

Warartist
05-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Jambi - Another name for a genie....look it up...."Wish it away"
Not A genie. PEE WEE's genie. I highly doubt this song is refferance to him.

barometric_tool
05-27-2006, 08:13 PM

LOL, great first post. But you're wrong, it's Jam B, which when Tool was put to one of those blind taste tests, refers to the jam they selected; which was coincidentally Smucker's. This is the piece why Maynard states "damn my eye's" becasue he can't see which jam he is selecting.

I should do this for a living.

OGT from back in the day
05-27-2006, 08:15 PM
the kid that put the special olympics thing in here is the man.....lmao

Amorphous Logo
05-28-2006, 08:16 AM
LOL, great first post. But you're wrong, it's Jam B, which when Tool was put to one of those blind taste tests, refers to the jam they selected; which was coincidentally Smucker's. This is the piece why Maynard states "damn my eye's" becasue he can't see which jam he is selecting.

I should do this for a living.

Well damn my ears anyway, I must have heard it wrong.

SPO, it almost sounds like you're on the right track. It has to have something to do with it, anyway. As you said, MJK could even be using the history of Jambi to convey his own story, perhaps his relationship to Devo as was stated by someone before.

theDEXorphan
05-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Not A genie. PEE WEE's genie. I highly doubt this song is refferance to him.

the song talks alot about wishing though.

swampyfool
05-28-2006, 09:43 AM
I don't know. Wishing is such a general concept that I'm not necessarily convinced it implies a connection with the genie. It could, but it's just kinda thin unless Maynaard specifically draws the connection in the future.

theDEXorphan
05-28-2006, 09:46 AM
i think he did at one of the concerts.
it's in the reviews.
he said that peewees play house was a good show or something along those lines
then they started into jambi.

Warartist
05-28-2006, 10:21 AM
i think he did at one of the concerts.
it's in the reviews.
he said that peewees play house was a good show or something along those lines
then they started into jambi.

You sure the review wasn't posted by someone hardcore dead set against the Indonesia theory? He didn't say anything about pee wee or genies at the Detroit show.

M.

theDEXorphan
05-28-2006, 10:33 AM
You sure the review wasn't posted by someone hardcore dead set against the Indonesia theory? He didn't say anything about pee wee or genies at the Detroit show.

M.

neither did he at the new york show.
but a couple people said the same thing.
i forget which show it was.
it might have been the one after seattle.

WitlessLiar
05-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Reason why it's not "jambi eyes" or "Jam-B"

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jambi

Click the audio guy.

So you guys are, in effect, WRONG.

And you guys called PriedOpen an idiot? He's the only one I've seen with a hint of intellect in here. You guys are so ignorant that you don't even know how to pronounce anything. "Oh hey it's the title of the song so they threw it in there because it makes no sense lol"

It is called Jambi for (probably) the double meaning of the word. He uses it in both context of the country (mountain view...sultan), and the genie (wish it all away).

Warartist
05-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Click the audio guy.

So you guys are, in effect, WRONG.

And you guys called PriedOpen an idiot? He's the only one I've seen with a hint of intellect in here. You guys are so ignorant that you don't even know how to pronounce anything. "Oh hey it's the title of the song so they threw it in there because it makes no sense lol"

It is called Jambi for (probably) the double meaning of the word. He uses it in both context of the country (mountain view...sultan), and the genie (wish it all away).

Hey i hint at intellect,... somtimes...:P

StereoScopicLenses
05-28-2006, 01:05 PM

BUT NOT ALWAYS! if you want to get into lyrics lets do so. haven't you notice that many of the songs on this new album are in free-verse? don't be so quick strike down possibilities... that's all i was saying.

StereoScopicLenses
05-28-2006, 01:06 PM
wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

swampyfool
05-28-2006, 02:52 PM
First of all, I said this to theDEXorphan because his continued sarcasm was frustrating me (score one for the orphan), so it doesn't seem to be tied to anything that you were saying.

BUT NOT ALWAYS! if you want to get into lyrics lets do so. haven't you notice that many of the songs on this new album are in free-verse? don't be so quick strike down possibilities... that's all i was saying.
Furthermore, your exclamatory addendum doesn't seem to be necessary, as it only elaborates the definition of the word CAN- which I already used to indicate the gist of my response. I never said that titles have to come from lyrical context- merely that they can.

And I'm not quick to strike down possibilities, provided that there is some REASON that has been stated to back it up. To repeat myself:

I just want somebody to offer a justification that connects a theme offered in the song to these other suggestions. The fact that there already exists a logically constructed argument on this topic that is very sensical sets the bar very high. Unfortunately, the arguments that I keep seeing miss that lofty target.

Now allow me to ammend that slightly. Any prospective justification does not necessarily have to connect these title suggestions to a theme from the song; connect it to something the band has said/done/ or implied through their past works; connect it with references to song/literature/cinema/other media written/performed by a different artist that may have influenced Tool's thinking on the matter. But when the alternate theories are framed like this:
I think it's X.
I think it's Y.
I will promptly point out that those suggestions are baseless.

I guess the root of my frustration at your statement that I have quoted is that people are so quick to strike down the (amply corroborated) theory that I (and others) have suggested, yet they still get a bunch of sand in their vaginas every time that their baseless suggestions are dismissed. I mean, you are who to finger your wave?

swampyfool
05-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes you do.

tollll12
05-28-2006, 08:13 PM

And i'm pretty sure it is "Damn my eyes."
Does "Jam B" imply a "Jam A"?

WitlessLiar
05-29-2006, 08:33 AM
You know what I mean.

swampyfool
05-29-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't know, does Preparation-H imply Preparations A-G?

theDEXorphan
05-29-2006, 10:51 AM

yeh, but jam a sucked. it was basically a gay orgy.

Warartist
05-29-2006, 11:01 AM
You know what I mean.

ya, i just felt like whining;)

win
05-29-2006, 11:23 AM
some new thoughts. Tools uses of double meanings, entendres, and metaphors is obvious. I doubt that there is any way that this title is not in reference to Jambi in Indonesia. I would like to propose some complimentary ideas.

Observation: (1) The song thematically links Vicarious and Wings for Marie pt1 & 2. Vicarious says that we feed off of watching voilence/suffering happen to others but we claim that we don't want it. Jambi says that when it happens to someone we love we would swear of vicarious violence/suffering forever. Wings of Marie pt1-2 are about some one he loves marrying.

(2) The album is full of references to division and union- especially in this song.

Possible alternative interp of the title's meaning: (1) I don't remember the exact word but jambi could be a slight chance on the word for a line that ties verses of peotry together (sorry I don't remember the exact word but with a little research Im sure it can be found). The would directly explain observation 1 and indirectly 2.

Fulcanelli
05-29-2006, 11:39 AM

I agree with you completely. "Jam B" indeed! That's so retarded. How about this: while recording the song, Maynard jammed a bee between is ass cheeks? Jam-bee... Jambi!!! Mystery solved. It's just another song involving the ass.

Amorphous Logo
05-29-2006, 06:55 PM

It could also mean that there was a Jam C and even a Jam D. Jamci? Jamdi?

Lie Cheat And Steal
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Observation: (1) The song thematically links Vicarious and Wings for Marie pt1 & 2. Vicarious says that we feed off of watching voilence/suffering happen to others but we claim that we don't want it. Jambi says that when it happens to someone we love we would swear of vicarious violence/suffering forever. Wings of Marie pt1-2 are about some one he loves marrying.

Wow... So He's wanting to marry his mom? That's cool I Guess

jim39n
05-29-2006, 09:11 PM
freudian slip anyone?

dude has comitment issues

StereoScopicLenses
05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
successfullypried open... hey that response wasn't long enough.. send me 4 more pages of BS; i love reading it.

telder
05-30-2006, 03:39 AM
I think it's the way he sings damn or dim my eyes. It just sounded like Jambi.

Maybe. That's what I was trying to offer. They are being so supremely sarcastic that the title is meaningless.

accel2
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Pink Floyd had a song called "Free Four" solely because of the way they pronounced "One, two, three, four" at the beginning. Why can't a band that plans such incredible intricacies also have a sense of humor / lighthearted side? Also, Led Zeppelin (well, Robert Plant) were very fond of fudging the pronunciation of lyrics around and using wordplay.

Either way, I don't disagree with the Indonesia/Sultan theory but what exactly would said Sultan be giving it all away for?

theDEXorphan
05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
First of all, I said this to theDEXorphan because his continued sarcasm was frustrating me (score one for the orphan), so it doesn't seem to be tied to anything that you were saying.

thank you:)

Hortcore
05-31-2006, 09:28 AM
The answer lies within the "English Dictionary" upon looking the word "Jambi" up.

Well, I tried dictionary.com and it didn't have an entry for "jambi". It did have one for Jambe.

1 entry found for Jambe.
jamb also jambe n.
1. One of a pair of vertical posts or pieces that together form the sides of a door,
window frame, or fireplace, for example.

2. A projecting mass or columnar part.

Beats me....Maybe a window or doorway view of something...

solidabyss
05-31-2006, 10:30 AM
"you don't have to know everything" - AJ

bthreenh
06-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Tool, they are known as joksters, aren't they? Yes. the song is about Maynard's inner child being expressed through Devo, for the most part. The song is about Devo. I also believe that this is about the genie in Pee-Wee, maybe Devo like Pee-Wee shows? Anything is a possibility.

insaner
06-01-2006, 03:58 PM
yes

Jett
06-01-2006, 07:43 PM
i think you all are thinking waaay too hard on this.

implandnoises
06-01-2006, 10:42 PM

ibmaj.

everyone knows ibmaj

I think you're on to something. Think about chord spellings. "i" means a minor one chord, "b" means flat, "maj" means major.

So its a flat minor major one chord.

No, thats just stupid.....

telder
06-02-2006, 03:45 AM
i think you all are thinking waaay too hard on this.

Curiousity, my friend.

swampyfool
06-02-2006, 04:37 AM
successfullypried open... hey that response wasn't long enough.. send me 4 more pages of BS; i love reading it.
Ritalin, dude, Ritalin . . .

IC
06-02-2006, 04:52 AM

maby it's a mix of the 2
that sounds right

swampyfool
06-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Pink Floyd had a song called "Free Four" solely because of the way they pronounced "One, two, three, four" at the beginning. Why can't a band that plans such incredible intricacies also have a sense of humor / lighthearted side? Also, Led Zeppelin (well, Robert Plant) were very fond of fudging the pronunciation of lyrics around and using wordplay.

Either way, I don't disagree with the Indonesia/Sultan theory but what exactly would said Sultan be giving it all away for?
Good points. But in the case of "Free Four," was there a meaningful, historical subtext? I'm not saying that Tool can't exercise a titular sense of humor, just not when there is so much evidence to support a serious connection. As for the "Plantian" wordplays, I would agree, but what new meaning is established by "Jam-bye?"

I can't say for sure what trade-off it is for which Sultan Taha is wishing. My best guess would be that he would wish away his individual position of power if it meant that he and his people could live their lives in accordance with their ancestoral heiritage. Only a guess, though. However, as I have stated before, the historical subtext of Jambi seems to be a vehicle for the telling of Maynard's personal struggles. Thus, not every line has to continue the plot of the vehicle, as it could be tied more directly to Maynard's stories.

Thank you for inteligently stating your case.

swampyfool
06-02-2006, 05:05 AM
Well, I tried dictionary.com and it didn't have an entry for "jambi". It did have one for Jambe.

1 entry found for Jambe.
jamb also jambe n.
1. One of a pair of vertical posts or pieces that together form the sides of a door,
window frame, or fireplace, for example.

2. A projecting mass or columnar part.

Beats me....Maybe a window or doorway view of something...
Try this one . . .

Click the audio guy.

Also, try Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambi

win
06-02-2006, 11:06 AM

Wow... So He's wanting to marry his mom? That's cool I Guess

sorry dieing I don't know why I m,iss spoke there

kyleb
06-03-2006, 02:26 AM
I don't know, does Preparation-H imply Preparations A-G?
I appreciate how what is implied by your user name correlates to your difficulties with other posters in this thread. ;)

bthreenh
06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
another thing, its easy to rule out the whole "Jam B" thing, because its pronounced 'yahm-bi' :)

æmoeba•°·.
06-03-2006, 09:33 PM
another thing, its easy to rule out the whole "Jam B" thing, because its pronounced 'yahm-bi' :)
ha..

lesamarie1
06-03-2006, 11:48 PM
way too in depth on this one. yes TOOL's song's are very complex, intricate and beautiful. Some of them may have deeper meanings, translations, numerical values and things we know nothing about. Bottom line....the music is fucking amazing. The sound that goes into my ear and converts to a peaceful and beautiful message in my brain is good enough for me. Anyone ever consider the song has multiple meanings; dual stories, on different levels, for different people. Just read an interview from TOOL to see how serious they are all the time; they're quite hilarious fellows. Not to diminish the seriousness and depth of the art that they create at all. And by the way, JAMBI is fucking incredible live....have to thank TOOL for the experience on MAy 17......

keep up the good conversations!

foursixandtwo
06-04-2006, 04:02 AM
please forgive my respose as I am...very intoxicated, but all I have to contribute as of now is this--

if you are going to call a thread retarded...
@least spell it right friend :(

Please. :)

Tomorrow I will have a real answer as I am sure I will have patience to read through this in it's entirety.

But C'MON. You are gonna call someone RETARDED AND SPELL RETARDED WRONG? :((

swampyfool
06-04-2006, 08:31 AM
please forgive my respose as I am...very intoxicated, but all I have to contribute as of now is this--

if you are going to call a thread retarded...
@least spell it right friend :(

Please. :)

Tomorrow I will have a real answer as I am sure I will have patience to read through this in it's entirety.

But C'MON. You are gonna call someone RETARDED AND SPELL RETARDED WRONG? :((
Touche, touche. I noticed my typo only after the "Edit" option had been removed. (Oh, the shame!)

StereoScopicLenses
06-04-2006, 09:15 AM
yeah successfullypo i need tons of ritalin everyday considering i have never taken it. the personal blows about someone you know nothing about are unnecessary here. its just dumb. come on stick to the threads. BTW, what the hell does ritalin do? I know it for kids with add and adhd but. what exactly are the effects? i limit myself to few drugs. i just kicked caffeine maybe you should try it.

8===D~~~ "slide a mile, six inches" - salival

swampyfool
06-04-2006, 10:37 AM
yeah successfullypo i need tons of ritalin everyday considering i have never taken it. the personal blows about someone you know nothing about are unnecessary here. its just dumb. come on stick to the threads. BTW, what the hell does ritalin do? I know it for kids with add and adhd but. what exactly are the effects? i limit myself to few drugs. i just kicked caffeine maybe you should try it.

8===D~~~ "slide a mile, six inches" - salival
Dude, I'm sarcastically suggesting ritalin to you because you seem to lack an attention span, thus implicating ADD or ADHD. Never have I seen such bitching over the daunting task of reading a few paragraphs on an online discussion board. If you really don't like to read, then why do you participate in a process that necessitates it? If you are interested in participating, maybe you need to do something to increase your attention span. I don't really think you (or anyone) should take ritalin, as it only treats the symptoms of television abuse while leaving the television in place. Recreationally (for those who do not have ADD or ADHD), it's just speed for pussies (and I do not advocate speed of any magnitude to anybody- life is too short to speed it up).

By the way, you should probably get started licking up that mess you just made at the end of your post.

By the way, typing "by the way" is so much harder than typing "BTW."

StereoScopicLenses
06-04-2006, 08:00 PM
yes i love it.. post more

theDEXorphan
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
this thread is still going? has anybody found the answer yet or have we reverted to fighting again? you people. when all else fails kill your nabor!

hail satan!

TooL_TiM413
06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Well from what I remember from playing stupid online games.. Dark Age of Camelot, I came across a mob w/ the name Jambi in it.. the thing looks like some kind of floating wizzy genie or something. So maybe it has to do w/ magical powers or something! just my 2 cents.

will see you auntie
06-05-2006, 02:08 PM
jambi is a city in indonesia. it is pronounced jam-bee. maybe maynards thinking in naming this song originated with the tsunami?

telder
06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Proud this thread is still going. I like reading everybody's point of view and wish there was a clear cut answer. I've seen the, "this thread sucks" posts and could not disagree more. Not to mention this is a heated subject among my friends. Anyway, I have another question. I'm probably missing it somewhere but I am at work and can't fuck around for too long. What was the deal with the Tool release today? The whole 6/6/06 thing. Just a joke? DVD? What does a horseshoe do? Are there any horse socks? Is anybody listening to me?

toocooltool
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Good one!

Rabidgecko
06-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Long time follower of forums, first time poster... I'm fairly certain that 3 and a half minutes into the song, the lyrics go "Damn my eyes, Jambi's." The "i" is pronounced like octopi and pluralized with an apostrophe "s". There is definatly a j sound after the first "Damn my Eyes". However, I'll let all of you feast over what jambi's refer to. There's my 2 cents.

Inner_Eulogy
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM

I totally agree.....the posts above you don't seem to have the slightest clue. And the 2bd part where everyone "thinks" he says jambi are wrong. You can clearly hear there is no "B" pronounced when he says it and I've already looked up the pronunciation and it is pronounced "jahm-bee". The B is not silent. Case closed.

Inner_Eulogy
06-06-2006, 06:28 PM

I finds it funny how McRoggles always seems to think he/she knows all the facts

Inner_Eulogy
06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Oh, and I just have to add...anybody and I mean ANYBODY who seriously thinks there's a fucking connection to the fucking Pee Wee genie SHOULD BE DRUG INTO THE STREET FROM THEIR COZY LITTLE HOME AND SHOT EXECUTION STYLE....FUCKING IDIOTS

misterwhite
06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
To me this song is about Maynards son and how he would give up everything he has, which is everything he always dreamed about ("here from the wild dream come true"). This led me to think that if it is, at least partially, about his son then perhaps his son is a big Pee-Wee fan. Or more specifically a huge fan of Jambi the genie. Or I could be blowing smoke out my ass, who knows.

telder
06-07-2006, 03:21 AM
I totally agree.....the posts above you don't seem to have the slightest clue. And the 2bd part where everyone "thinks" he says jambi are wrong. You can clearly hear there is no "B" pronounced when he says it and I've already looked up the pronunciation and it is pronounced "jahm-bee". The B is not silent. Case closed.

Wrong. I guess you are one of the the only posters who can't hear a "b" pronounced. It's obvious that we don't have the answer, but I wouldn't say that we don't have the slightest clue. I'd say that there have been numerous ideas in this thread that flirt with the answer. But okay. I can agree with your pronounciation. You've obviously studied. But, case closed? What is that supposed to mean. Can't you offer a theory?

telder
06-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Oh, and I just have to add...anybody and I mean ANYBODY who seriously thinks there's a fucking connection to the fucking Pee Wee genie SHOULD BE DRUG INTO THE STREET FROM THEIR COZY LITTLE HOME AND SHOT EXECUTION STYLE....FUCKING IDIOTS

You are the best kind of poster. Know-it-all. How can YOU comment about how you "love it how so and so thinks he/she knows everything." Elitist fuck. By the way, have you guys heard the Pee-Wee reference? I think there may be some validity to it. Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Muladhara
06-07-2006, 03:30 AM
Wrong. I guess you are one of the the only posters who can't hear a "b" pronounced. It's obvious that we don't have the answer, but I wouldn't say that we don't have the slightest clue. I'd say that there have been numerous ideas in this thread that flirt with the answer. But okay. I can agree with your pronounciation. You've obviously studied. But, case closed? What is that supposed to mean. Can't you offer a theory?

Actually there's hordes of us who hear no b pronounced.

Listen to this: http://www.ezarchive.com/meanether/AlbumSpace/7ICAPSUBBF/2006-05-12.Jambi.mp3

telder
06-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Actually there's hordes of us who hear no b pronounced.

Listen to this: http://www.ezarchive.com/meanether/AlbumSpace/7ICAPSUBBF/2006-05-12.Jambi.mp3

I understand. Horde's that hear it too.

Ming
06-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I had a 380 page treatise prepared on _every_possible connotation of "Jambi" but I accidentally wiped it with my pinky before posting- so fuck you all and die for the 5 straight weeks I spent researching for this thread, including spending tens of thousands on research assistants, air fares, hallucinogens, private detective fees, etc.

Who fucking cares. The song roXX0rs.

kabir
06-09-2006, 11:33 PM
All this suggestion of embracing a lyrical foible or non-specific-title "Jam B" is beneath the intelect of a band that plans such incredible intricacies into every second of every CD. THINK!

heh. i agree that it is likely to do with the Sultan .... but if you knew some of the things i've learned in the last 10 yrs .... you'd think twice about this.

imatoolhed
06-09-2006, 11:39 PM
here's my take on it. *shrugs*

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=49125

unto her a vineyard
06-09-2006, 11:41 PM
province of Indonesia. Jambi can also refer to the genie on "The Pee-wee Herman Show" and "Pee-wee's Playhouse" and a song by Tool.

unto her a vineyard
06-09-2006, 11:41 PM
http://all.net/

swampyfool
06-10-2006, 06:07 AM
heh. i agree that it is likely to do with the Sultan .... but if you knew some of the things i've learned in the last 10 yrs .... you'd think twice about this.
Care to elaborate? I know ten years of experience cannot fit into one post, but could you give us a little more?

telder
06-12-2006, 03:24 AM

proud!

telder
06-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Care to elaborate? I know ten years of experience cannot fit into one post, but could you give us a little more?

Please? That would be tight.

shyfly
06-22-2006, 04:27 AM
Oh yes

ignorantmaddam
06-27-2006, 11:44 AM

I AGREE.

& I'M GETTING TIRED OF THOSE WHO SUGGEST THAT TOOL'S WORK IS MOSTLY PULLED OUT OF THEIR ASS. AND, WHEN IT COMES TO TITLES, AT THE LAST MINUTE THEY DECIDE TO SETTLE FOR WHATEVER THEY CAME UP WITH? WHAT AN INSULT. SUGGESTING THEY THEY HARDLY PUT ANY THOUGHT INTO IT. I THINK THEY PLAN & STRATEGIZE EACH ASPECT MORE THAN MOST WILL EVER REALIZE.

theDEXorphan
06-27-2006, 04:11 PM
if it's not out of their ass then they must have no tallent

ignorantmaddam
06-27-2006, 09:49 PM
if it's not out of their ass then they must have no tallent

OK, CAN YOU ELABORATE?

telder
06-28-2006, 04:24 AM
I AGREE.

& I'M GETTING TIRED OF THOSE WHO SUGGEST THAT TOOL'S WORK IS MOSTLY PULLED OUT OF THEIR ASS. AND, WHEN IT COMES TO TITLES, AT THE LAST MINUTE THEY DECIDE TO SETTLE FOR WHATEVER THEY CAME UP WITH? WHAT AN INSULT. SUGGESTING THEY THEY HARDLY PUT ANY THOUGHT INTO IT. I THINK THEY PLAN & STRATEGIZE EACH ASPECT MORE THAN MOST WILL EVER REALIZE.

I'm getting tired of people who can't read between the lines.

swampyfool
06-28-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm getting tired of people who can't read between the lines.
OK. But . . .

If you want people to read between lines, then maybe you ought to suggest some lines that make sense . . ? I won't say that Tool is incapable of doing something as spontaneous as pulling a title out of their ass- they certainly could. But in this case, reading between the lines doesn't really help your argument. The title of this song corresponds with the name of an Indonesian province. The history and geography of that Indonesian province are referenced by the lyrics of the song. 2+2=4. 2*2=4. It's too big a coincidence to be overlooked in favor of idle speculation over mispronunciations and the like. Had you any success at reading between the lines, you would understand that on this track, these alternate suggestions are simply not plausible. Though I still concede that there may be an incidental tie-in to the TV Genie.

Terry21
06-29-2006, 01:01 AM
OK. But . . .

If you want people to read between lines, then maybe you ought to suggest some lines that make sense . . ?

So true.

Terry21
06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
The title refers to Maynards Hard Wang.

psychodad
06-29-2006, 02:59 AM

Yeah it does, makes a whole lot of sense. And it IS Jambi eyes, not dim my eyes.

The song talks a lot about wishing, and they have mentioned themselves that the reference is to that pee wee's playhouse character so there you have it. It is not a song about Jambi, it is just a lyrical connection to granting wishes. Oh yeah, Jambi also looks like a sultan, has weird looking eyes...

http://www.tvacres.com/enchanted_genies_jambie.htm

telder
06-29-2006, 03:28 AM
OK. But . . .

If you want people to read between lines, then maybe you ought to suggest some lines that make sense . . ? I won't say that Tool is incapable of doing something as spontaneous as pulling a title out of their ass- they certainly could. But in this case, reading between the lines doesn't really help your argument. The title of this song corresponds with the name of an Indonesian province. The history and geography of that Indonesian province are referenced by the lyrics of the song. 2+2=4. 2*2=4. It's too big a coincidence to be overlooked in favor of idle speculation over mispronunciations and the like. Had you any success at reading between the lines, you would understand that on this track, these alternate suggestions are simply not plausible. Though I still concede that there may be an incidental tie-in to the TV Genie.

Devils advocate. And some people, not necessarily myself, still disagree with you.

swampyfool
06-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Devils advocate. And some people, not necessarily myself, still disagree with you.
Yeah, but if those mischievious "some" want their argument imbued with reality, maybe they should offer a substantive rationale in corroboration of their speculation. Until then, between what lines we are supposed to be reading remains a complete mystery, and their posits are devoid of reason.

Terry21
06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
The title refers to Maynards Hard Wang.

Hell yes!

telder
07-05-2006, 05:42 AM
Yeah, but if those mischievious "some" want their argument imbued with reality, maybe they should offer a substantive rationale in corroboration of their speculation. Until then, between what lines we are supposed to be reading remains a complete mystery, and their posits are devoid of reason.

It's pronounced nuculur....nuculur.

swampyfool
07-05-2006, 06:04 AM
It's pronounced nuculur....nuculur.
. . .

Warartist
07-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah it does, makes a whole lot of sense. And it IS Jambi eyes, not dim my eyes.

The song talks a lot about wishing, and they have mentioned themselves that the reference is to that pee wee's playhouse character so there you have it. It is not a song about Jambi, it is just a lyrical connection to granting wishes. Oh yeah, Jambi also looks like a sultan, has weird looking eyes...

http://www.tvacres.com/enchanted_genies_jambie.htm

You know NOTHING! :P It's not about his son. It's not about his mom. It is definitely not about a genie. And it's damn my eyes.

Warartist
07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Seriously what does your link prove? Nothing. I haven't read any thing about Maynard or anyone in the band saying anything about Jambi the genie.I think your a fibber.

theDEXorphan
07-06-2006, 10:43 AM
i think it's about finding salvation in satan. atleaste thats what i tell my mom as i sing it to her. god dam born agains.

DrFundies
08-29-2006, 11:57 PM
jambi grants wishes on pee wees playhouse, maynard wishes it all away. done.

LostHighway3
08-30-2006, 07:59 AM
I don't know if the meaning to anything in Tool's lyrics is a concrete answer. In fact, I feel that they use words that are supposed to be interpreted in two or more different ways. So while the song may or may not be about the genie, the lyrics can be seen that way if looked at on the surface. The great thing about Tool is that their songs are subjective.

Terry21
08-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't know if the meaning to anything in Tool's lyrics is a concrete answer. In fact, I feel that they use words that are supposed to be interpreted in two or more different ways. So while the song may or may not be about the genie, the lyrics can be seen that way if looked at on the surface. The great thing about Tool is that their songs are subjective.

Yeah, but you can't write a song without a meaning. You can write a song and it has a clear and definite meaning, but is also universal and can be looked at different. I somehow have the urge to know the inventors intention. Am I crazy?

DrFundies
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
the song isn't about the genie at all, but the name is.

sound.out.light
08-31-2006, 12:49 PM

you need a new favorite band. and a social life. calm the fuck down.

Prison Sex
08-31-2006, 02:09 PM

Haha.

LostHighway3
09-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Yeah, but you can't write a song without a meaning. You can write a song and it has a clear and definite meaning, but is also universal and can be looked at different. I somehow have the urge to know the inventors intention. Am I crazy?

Agreed. I think they went into it with a single intention, but create it in a way that it can be interpreted in several ways. I'd also like to know what's going on in their heads when they write this stuff, but that's exactly what they don't want us to do...pigeonhole our interpretations.

LegalizeIt
09-01-2006, 09:17 AM
All u guys are wrong, it has already been discovered why the song is called "Jambi", it's actually very simple, and not as complicated as everyone thinks. The song title is explained in a toolband.com Q&A newsletter to Blaire:

SUBJECT: JAMBI, IAMBIC METER

Q: "So, it seems that at least the first verse of the song is in Iambic meter. It is used almost exactly as a typical Finnish Iambic meter:

Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S-U
Unstressed-Stressed-U-S-U-S

The first verse seems to follow this formula, except all of the lines end with an unstressed syllable and are equal in length. So, the funny side of the thing is that in Finnish Iamb is called "jambi". How intentional is this?"

A: Finally! Very intentional.

Terry21
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Gosh, don't you people read the whole newsletter?

Ihavathirdeye
09-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Maybe I am retarded, but how does dim/damn my eyes sound like Jambi?

Terry21
09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Maynard sings a lot of Ds like Js, seriously, he does it a lot and he sings a very light b / p sound. And I don't know where people put the S lol, but Maynard does a lot of strange speaking, he even did it intentional when he whispered on AEnima I think.

conawayb
09-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't really know a lot about the actual region that the song supposedly references. Nor do I know a lot about Pee Wee and his genie (Thank god) What I do know is that Tool is rather nortorious for incorperating (sp?) many levels of meaning in both the lyrics and the titles of their songs.

I may not have the most intellectual or insightful opinions. But I can say with some amount of certainty that I think ALL of the aforementioned possibilities came in to play when Tool picked the name for the song. Some may have weighed more heavily than others. But perhaps ALL of them are present.

OR........I could be wrong

swampyfool
09-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Pee Wee and his Genie fuckin' ROCK. Don't knock that shit. And I'm sorry that you live in Iowa, too. You should get off that sinking ship.

Torgo
09-28-2006, 09:00 PM
If Tool has the ability to dedicate a song to a pastry recipy and a cat beign squeezed (mantra for those who don't know) than they can name a song whatever the hell they want. I don't dought for a second it has some sort of significance and isn't a coincidental title, but at the same time I have the feeling that Tool could have just pulled this out of their ass.

Nova
09-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Gosh, don't you people read the whole newsletter?

+1

Terry21
09-29-2006, 11:37 PM
A mix of Junkie and Zombie lol.

tonedef
09-30-2006, 09:59 AM
I think that it is pretty obvious the the song is jambi, with the "b" silent. jamb or jam is the frame of a window or door. therefore he wants to jam"b" his eyes; window to his soul -> and wish it all away, his true feelings? peace.

Torgo
10-01-2006, 10:59 AM
I think that it is pretty obvious the the song is jambi, with the "b" silent. jamb or jam is the frame of a window or door. therefore he wants to jam"b" his eyes; window to his soul -> and wish it all away, his true feelings? peace.

Intresting analogy but I'd think he'd just name it jam if so...

iAMtheMA!
10-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Agreed. I think they went into it with a single intention, but create it in a way that it can be interpreted in several ways. I'd also like to know what's going on in their heads when they write this stuff, but that's exactly what they don't want us to do...pigeonhole our interpretations.

they want us to figure things out. they're leaving us hints left and right. getting into it all may suggest that one must (after becoming more vulnerable to new ideas): (1.) know all of tool's songs (what's on the outside - sound/lyrics - the easy stuff), (2.) listen to a single song and attempt connections to other tracks (this has even crossed over to his other bands "'cause it's time to bring this fire down" with "10,000 days in the fire is long enough" talking about coping with his mother's "fire"/paralysis - just one example), (3.) delve into some suggested reading, (4.) and bring bits and pieces to the the masses.

and the fact that these lyrics seem "open" may be their way of getting around certain censorship. this is a crackpot theory, btw, i'll admit. but if tool just came out and said that the world would end in 2012 (with whatever proof they have to back it up), going on tour with this message, i'm sure something would've wanted to take 'em out. patriot act or something...

"single intention" for a song? maybe. but i don't think you're giving this band (or maynard) their due. infact, tool in itself (not just the songs) might've had a "single intention" (...going out on a limb here, but this is a statement i've been trying to prove while diggin). i honestly believe that everything tool has ever done revolves around maynard's "chosen path" to convert the lot of us. to take us away from this "la la la la la la la lie" ("you lie, cheat and steal"; she "never lived a lie"; etc). he's trying to warn us of our "fleeting time here" (2012?) and that we can ascend into immortality via finding unconditional love (see: "merkaba" and "lateralus"). that's why i consider it a mission. it makes sooo much sense that, more often than not, these random remarks coming from all over this board (from "tool fans") often hurt my head. "how could these people consider themselves "fans" if they're not even listening to their music?!" if i'm right concerning these theories, that maynard has a "chosen path" to "be patient" with us... to help us see the light... and we don't?! see: "passive" lyrics, maynard would be disappointed. i'm almost positive no one here would simply consider the possibilities - right or wrong.

for sake of argument, i'm wrong ...happy? now, go on thinking "it's just music".

[end scattered rant]

Zippy
10-07-2006, 12:11 AM
^^^^ Great post. There is a lot to all of their songs, and each one may be about many things, one thing, or nothing at all. But that's what makes it great, is that it opens the imagination and piques our curiosity.

Personally, I think the rhythm of the guitar riff has something to do with it. Next time you listen to the beggining of the song, close your eyes and repeat after me,
"Mekka lekka hi mekka hiney ho!"

Seriously, It matches up. Maybe Adam came up with the riff thinking about the odd meter of the chant, and Maynard searched for material around which to wrap some lyrics. He got them to tie in with themes that recur in this album, and previous albums as well.

I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibilities.

boscobytes
10-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Our snake is named Jambi...after the genie. He grants wishes.

As I read the song titles I thought...Now that's what I'm talking about! Cool.
Is it Indonesia that puts us on the same page?

....hey Jambi, did you have anything to do with this?

Meka leka hi meka hiney ho!

sabbo
11-27-2006, 02:00 PM
This is the only connection i can make to Maynards son.

Devo, has the same name as the band Devo, Devo member Mark Mothersbaugh did the music for Pee-wee's playhouse, Jambi was a character on this show, as we all know.

magicbus
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
That's kinda stretching it though...

mjkajdcjc
11-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Because it sounds cool.

theDEXorphan
11-27-2006, 04:51 PM
because satan said so.

epistomai
11-28-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't know if this was exposed before, but I've my doubts about some anoying guesses about Jambi...

Check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambi

xjambix
12-02-2006, 04:23 AM
There used to be a tv programme or something and there was a character called 'Jambi' in it and whenever someone said 'wish', it would get excited and go mental...

ahhnevermind
12-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Is this still a debate?

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2006_07.php
SUBJECT: JAMBI, LAMBIC METER

Q: "So, it seems that at least the first verse of the song is in Iambic meter. It is used almost exactly a typical Finnish Iambic meter:

The first verse seems to follow this formula, except all of the lines end with an unstressed syllable and are equal in length. So, the funny side of the thing is that in Finnish Iamb is called "jambi". How intentional is this?"

A: Finally! Very intentional.

WwWwW
12-05-2006, 01:37 AM
I think Jambi is about Maynard's son, because

In a perfect circle, he made a song called Breña, after the middle name of his fionce. Breña is also a piece of land in Peru, and Jambi is a province in Indonesia. If I'm correct, these two countryparts are in opposite timezones.

So it could be that Jambi reflects his son, that Breña and Jambi are the two persons closest to Maynard.

Another reason why it would be about Maynard's son is that he already made a song about his mon(in apc), and it would be kinda strange two write a song about a person twice(10,000 days is about her death). Also, the lyrics kinda tell someone how he/she is supposed to be. Maynard wants his son to live on instinct and shine(untill two become one, the opposite of cutting it right in two).
The lyrics in apc's Judith and the wings songs are saying that Maynard respects the christianity of his mom, but honestly disagrees. The Jambi lyrics are different imo.

Lebowski Urban Achiever
12-19-2006, 06:49 PM

You did your homework, pat yourself on the back for having done so. Still no need to be hostile.

januscomplex
12-20-2006, 11:31 AM
aahnevermind got it
Tool newsletter confirmed it
I'm sure the other reasons were right too, but taking into account their heavy influence from Meshuggah on this album and how they start really playing with rythm even more, the Iamb inference seems the most correct.

Inner_Eulogy
12-20-2006, 02:33 PM
aahnevermind got it
Tool newsletter confirmed it
I'm sure the other reasons were right too, but taking into account their heavy influence from Meshuggah on this album and how they start really playing with rythm even more, the Iamb inference seems the most correct.

Me thinks that clever little Maynard is perhaps combining reference to all 3 things, the Iamd meter, the indonesian providence and perhaps the genie as well. As we all know, he intentionally multi-layers his lyrics/songs in such a way.

DrJones
12-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Maybe it's the title cuz it's a cool word? Maybe this time he went super simple on us so we'd all scrable to fry our brains figuring out what it meant when in all reality he just liked the word?

anarcho-commie
12-25-2006, 01:28 AM
I've got Jambi live from Seattle, and I swear on my life that he sings Jamb-eye.

Not to say he does on the album, because he doesn't. I think it's cool that he swiches it up for the live version though.

BlanketEffect
12-28-2006, 10:50 AM
OR

He knew all the meanings of the name Jambi before he started to write or at least, complete, the song.

Jambi is the name of the genie. Hence the "wish" lines

Jambi is the name of an Indonesian province. Hence the Indonesian imagery.

Jambi is Finnish for the word iamb. An iamb is a certain meter used in poetry - the song, specifically the lyrics/vocals, consequently, is written in iambic meter.

The "Jam Bi" eyes line, which is CLEARLY in the mix, though it's not like, the *real* lyric being sung, is on a track of its own and is impossible to miss. Unless you're just deaf. That line is added simply because it fit the phonetics of the verse and we all know this is kind of like Tools joke album. Joke album meaning they do a lot of things on here to show that they're taken too seriously.

Aunt Acid
12-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't know if someone has said this by now, but it's pronounced Jahmbee not Jambee

BlanketEffect
12-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Yes, and in Finnish it is pronounced 'ee-YOM-bee'

Inner_Eulogy
01-03-2007, 10:46 AM
OR

He knew all the meanings of the name Jambi before he started to write or at least, complete, the song.

Jambi is the name of the genie. Hence the "wish" lines

Jambi is the name of an Indonesian province. Hence the Indonesian imagery.

Jambi is Finnish for the word iamb. An iamb is a certain meter used in poetry - the song, specifically the lyrics/vocals, consequently, is written in iambic meter.

The "Jam Bi" eyes line, which is CLEARLY in the mix, though it's not like, the *real* lyric being sung, is on a track of its own and is impossible to miss. Unless you're just deaf. That line is added simply because it fit the phonetics of the verse and we all know this is kind of like Tools joke album. Joke album meaning they do a lot of things on here to show that they're taken too seriously.

That's kinda' what I was just saying....just way more detailed and informing..lol

BlanketEffect
01-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, informing is good, yeah?

Inner_Eulogy
01-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, informing is good, yeah?

But of course. I was complimenting you on a job better done than I.

BlanketEffect
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
But of course. I was complimenting you on a job better done than I.

Oh, I know what you mean(t). There was no cynacism/sarcasm in my reply, though I can see how it could possibly come across that way. No worries at all.

JAF
01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the island theory is that tons of sultans ruled countless islands which were all taken over one way or another, and all of which have some sort of "mountain." Regardless, I enjoy the pee-wee theory best. "If I could then I would wish it all away..." Well who grants wishes? Jambi! It's so randomly structured that it makes perfect Tool-sense.

BlanketEffect
01-27-2007, 11:59 PM
I can see Maynard singing in a jam session with the band and coming up with the idea of the line 'Wish it all away' and so he's working on it and someone has the idea 'How do you wish it all the way? With Jambi the genie?" and that's kinda 'ha-ha' at the moment but then the name Jambi sticks in Maynard's head and he builds the entire song off of things he can find that have to do with the word Jambi.

Probably nothing like what really happened, but this is the story that I paint for myself when I try to figure out what he meant with the title and lyrics.

Inner_Eulogy
01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
I can see Maynard singing in a jam session with the band and coming up with the idea of the line 'Wish it all away' and so he's working on it and someone has the idea 'How do you wish it all the way? With Jambi the genie?" and that's kinda 'ha-ha' at the moment but then the name Jambi sticks in Maynard's head and he builds the entire song off of things he can find that have to do with the word Jambi.

Probably nothing like what really happened, but this is the story that I paint for myself when I try to figure out what he meant with the title and lyrics.

Good 'nuff.....and always a possiblilty

Torn-tool
02-11-2007, 10:40 PM

absloutely the way i thought about how the song was written...

Now this is ABSLOUTELY the coinsidense you dont want to read...
did you know that the word "Janbi" in arabic means "next to me" or "by my side" and the egyptions pronounce the "n" an "m" ... Dont get too suprised to hear an egyption dude saying "jambi" all the time now...

RosetaStoned46n2
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
I agree with the genie one. Jambi from Pee Wee was a genie "Wish it Away". Plus Pee Wee was probably a good show for acidheads. Maybe someone had some creepy trip while seeing Jambi.

O.G.T.92
03-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Just as long as we're trying to think completely abstractly, what about the J being pronounced as an H, like spanish words? I don't think it's right but maybe throwing it out there is the clue that will crack this baby open. I certainly didn't expect Aenima to be pronounced Ohn-ima. Just thinking out loud, you all may incinerate me.

PhilTheVoid
03-24-2007, 02:51 AM
listen to the Bootleg of Nova Rock festival 2006 in Austria when Maynard introduces the song as [Jambee]

damnit, why are there always so many pronounciation debates regarding Tool songs?

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I was surprised Chino hit those notes and sounded pretty good.

Deftones suck live.

Drozz
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
The first time I heard the song, I was pretty sure it was a reference to Jambi from Pee-Wee's Playhouse

paravariations
03-24-2007, 08:09 PM
I read somewhere (toolband.com, I think) that the song was actually named after Jambi from Pee-Wee Herman.
That would make sense to me because Maynard talks about wishing it all away in the song.
Jambi granted wishes.

hemiola
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
The one thing that is or will be evident (I doubt Tool will ever say) is that the title seems to be another variation on a theme of synchronicity. Maybe that is what is to be gleaned here.

Although, it is an interesting topic.

and hello, by the way.

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2007, 05:13 AM
I read somewhere (toolband.com, I think) that the song was actually named after Jambi from Pee-Wee Herman.
That would make sense to me because Maynard talks about wishing it all away in the song.
Jambi granted wishes.

Yes, the title is related to Jambi, the genie from Pee Wee's Playhouse. It was already stated in an interview with Danny Carey, now can the rest of you quit throwing up irrelevant suggestions

3rdi
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes, the title is related to Jambi, the genie from Pee Wee's Playhouse. It was already stated in an interview with Danny Carey, now can the rest of you quit throwing up irrelevant suggestions

So why bother responding with sarcasm? Perhaps some of us don't have as much time to read those oh so brilliant fan mags,

Inner_Eulogy
03-27-2007, 01:25 PM
So why bother responding with sarcasm? Perhaps some of us don't have as much time to read those oh so brilliant fan mags,

Yeah I guess you're right, now get off the computer and go pick up your Sally Home Remodeling magazine.

Apachana
03-31-2007, 04:15 PM
I am Binary.

Jambi G-IN help you become one.

fatlittleparasite
05-29-2007, 01:34 PM
http://www.gamertagpics.com/messages/THEASSKICKER/eds%20retarded%20red%20shirt%20friend.jpg

That's me puking in the background.

fatlittleparasite
05-29-2007, 02:00 PM
wayne brady is gonna have to choke a bitch.

I saw Ryan Stiles fuck a bitch once.