PDA

View Full Version : real meaning of lateralus

LeeDawg456
04-10-2003, 09:06 PM
so i was just curious the other day, i wanted to know what Lateralus really means. i searched on dictionary.com for it, and nothing came up. but some other options did come up, and one that caught my eye was this:

Lateral Cerebral Sulcus
LATEral cerabRAL sulcUS
LATERALUS

the definition: n : the deepest and most prominent of the cortical fissures; separates the frontal and temporal lobes in both hemispheres.

so the lateral cerebral sulcus serves as the bridge between these two areas of the brain. i decided to research further, and i found out that the frontal lobes control the sensory input, our perceptions, and the temporal lobes control our consciousness.

in essence, this organ, the lateral cerebral connects our consciousness with our perceptions, and this fits PERFECT with the Jungian psychology spilt about throughout the album, but which is most easily noticeable in Reflection.

this seems to have a better basis than chemistry theories....

munkyman
04-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Damn good idea, and very Toolish...

Valkyrie
04-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Marry me.

reedc33
04-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Ivy League...

eyemaware
04-14-2003, 11:14 PM
The more i think about Tool, their lyrics, music and personalities... the theories and experiences they relate through their music make more sense to me than almost all scientific research in regards to life as a whole. Even their namesake...

forty6n2
04-22-2003, 05:41 PM
i thought Lateralus was supposed to mean lateral thinking, or at least thats what i read Maynards intentions were. i dont remember where i read it so maybe i didnt at all and was just hallucinating. who knows.