PDA

View Full Version : longtime listener here

astralpersona
04-10-2003, 12:27 PM
i know some people when they listen to a cd, they automaticly skip tracks looking for their favorite song, im not saying anything is wrong with that.. no nothing at all. but when i'm listening i like to line up the cds opiate through lateralus in the cd player, and let the music take me on a journey, only i don't want it to end , but i know it does. I try not to think about the end of the music. i get massivley complex visons while i lay there, listening, even with my eyes open.. always different, but related in a way. i do like breaking down what i think the song means,but sometimes i don't listen to the words, and just let the music penatrate my being as a whole,
there was something else i have a thought on. whether anyone else thinks this or not.
the line 'over thinking, overanalyzing seperates the body from the mind' for me this is a derivitave of a fundamental truth, in which, when you get so caught up in trying to figure things out, (e.g.meaning of life or truth behind why something is a certain way) you sometimes forget that it doesn't really matter, it's really not important, that nothing is so important, that it should take away from other parts of your life. i guess for me, that what it is..

thank you for reading.

Wataru
04-24-2003, 06:19 PM
I think you're very right. To a certain extent, a great many things don't matter. And I also believe that Maynard's incredible power with words makes it easy to forget that there are other members in Tool. And that the music would be great, even without the lyrics.

But just as you can give things to much importance, you can also give them not enough. We may not matter on a universal scale, but we matter to ourselves and people around us.

over thinking, overanalyzing seperates the body from the mind

Alot of people use this line in threads to say 'you're all hypocrites for looking into Tool deeply when they even tell you not too'. It's far too easy to take this lyric to mean 'overTHINKING overANALYZING' instead of 'OVERthinking OVERanalyzing'.

The real question is:
Exactly how much thinking is overthinking?

The awnser to this question will be different for everyone.