PDA

View Full Version : His Mum

thomasknight
05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm sure his mum is important to him, but I'm not to interested to hear his thoughts on how great she was. How is it important to me?

Cucumber_11
05-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Woah selfish.

Although this song is soley about his mother it is written in such a way so you can relate it to your own lives (Up untill he names his mother anyway... but still). Anyone who has ever lost someone will find the song fantastic. Actually anyone who feels even the slightest bit of emotion will find this song important to them.

Grow up and grow some emotion boy, he's spilling his heart out. Don't think he will apologise to you for not singing about Saturn Ascending again, because he wont.

smeefsmeef
05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm sure his mum is important to him, but I'm not to interested to hear his thoughts on how great she was. How is it important to me?

I'm sure that your thoughts are important to you, but I'm not interested to read your thoughts. Who cares about what you think? How is it important to me?

:P

Carbonatedgravy
05-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Tool writes music for themselves. It's up to you to determine how to relate it to your own life, and I think most of us have managed this task reasonably well.

swampyfool
05-24-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm sure that your thoughts are important to you, but I'm not interested to read your thoughts. Who cares about what you think? How is it important to me?

HAHA! It's like The O'Reilly Factor and The Colbert Report.

thomasknight
05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
I accept they write for themselves, (although why record it and distribute it?), and I'm not saying he shouldn't have written it, but I really can't relate to it and feel uncomfortable listening to it. It's so personal, I feel I'm intruding. I don't think us men are in positions to talk objectively about our mothers beacause we are too biased.

thomasknight
05-24-2006, 03:31 PM

This is the opinion section of the website, if you're not interested to read other people's thoughts then you may not enjoy these areas.

DON IOTAE
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
This is the opinion section of the website, if you're not interested to read other people's thoughts then you may not enjoy these areas.
He didn't get it.

Wait a minute: Tool writes for themselves??? I thought they were writing for ME! Not YOU fuckers, but ME!!!

Right?

DON IOTAE
05-24-2006, 03:36 PM

And how is THAT important to me?

:D

smeefsmeef
05-24-2006, 04:40 PM
hehe

<"(((><

Listen to "Jerk Off." That song should sound interesting because it's about Maynard's thoughts about you.

peace

thomasknight
05-24-2006, 06:11 PM
hehe

<"(((><

Listen to "Jerk Off." That song should sound interesting because it's about Maynard's thoughts about you.

peace

were you talking to me?

that would be an honour

smeefsmeef
05-24-2006, 06:18 PM
were you talking to me?

that would be an honour

Yes, I was, and I am glad that you are "honoured."

swampyfool
05-24-2006, 07:47 PM
were you talking to me?

that would be an honour

Oh my, we don't think before we speak, do we?

paraflux
05-24-2006, 07:56 PM
You guys are flaming this guy for having this thought?
I accept they write for themselves, (although why record it and distribute it?), and I'm not saying he shouldn't have written it, but I really can't relate to it and feel uncomfortable listening to it. It's so personal, I feel I'm intruding. I don't think us men are in positions to talk objectively about our mothers beacause we are too biased.
I feel somewhat similar. Even in my interpretation of the album I couldnt talk much about those because it made me uncomfortable.

swampyfool
05-26-2006, 07:28 AM
You guys are flaming this guy for having this thought?

No, we're flaming him for these thoughts:

and (only a small portion of what you quoted, the rest of which is fine),

(although why record it and distribute it?)

The fact is that this guy is criticising Maynard for using his music to express his inner-most yearnings. Talk all you want about how hard it was for you to be subjected to such a personal struggle; your entitled to that opinion. But to call it unimportant; to question the validity of recording and distributing it because it might be too real for you to handle; that is simply one of the most unenlightened thoughts I've seen on this entire board. And that includes the discussion under "Right In Two" in which people are trying to argue that greed is a virtue that has positively effected progress in the world rather than being a character flaw that stands between desparate people and survival.

paraflux
05-26-2006, 10:30 AM
*shrug* It just makes some people uncomfortable, because I dont think I am supposed to know enough about his life to know 100% where this is coming from.

Exegesis
05-26-2006, 10:58 AM

Artistic expression sometimes enters very personal territories of the artist. If you'd rather not feel gooey and icky, then don't listen to the song. Don't expect a bunch of tool fans to agree with your thoughts on music and its possible subject matter.

Oddman
06-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I just hope hes joking... Its somones art, your not supposed to be singled out and made important by it. I could write a song about chickens, whats its relevance to you? nothing, but its still a cool song about chickens...

swampyfool
06-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I thought this thread had been locked?

Luosdasa
06-11-2006, 10:42 PM

Yeh dude... i really dont think maynard gives a shit whether its important to any of us or not. This song is important to him, and id imagine extremely important.

As to why he'd release it... well i think with most art, while other people may not understand what is created, artists tend to wish to give them the chance to do so, or to find their own meaning. Having said that, i think that this particular song is far to direct and personal for us too come up with a different, or personal interpritation, but others who have lost loved ones in similar fashions could most likely relate to it, so the song could become very important to them indeed.

But when it comes down to it, maynard is singing a tribute to his mother. While you may not care to hear his thoughts on how great sh was,e i find it highly likely that he cares a great deal to tell people, whether they listen or not, how great she was. It appears to me that maynard is making peace with his mum through this song. Making it public that he now understands, or has come to terms with, or whatever it is, her faith, and also that he makes some kind public apology is probably an important part of the peace making... and that'd probably be enough reason for it to be released to the masses

swampyfool
06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
*shrug* It just makes some people uncomfortable, because I dont think I am supposed to know enough about his life to know 100% where this is coming from.
Again, you are entitled to your discomfort. I too, feel a bit uncomfortable when I hear this track, but that's what life is. I just feel that Maynard has provided us with enough emotional respite in fourteen years that if he wants to vent his emotions and cry on our shoulders about a tragedy of depth that most of us (thankfully) cannot even begin to contemplate, he is entitled- and we are somewhat obligated. In a sense, it is a bit of an honor that Maynard trusts us (his audience) enough to unburden himself to us with such personal vehemence and intensity. In a way, he is using us to purge himself of this 10,000 day-long ordeal; inviting us to share in his most personal demons; elevating the relationship between performer and perciever to a more personal level; and I, for one, welcome that opportunity.

Thanks for re-opening this thread.

bellamadia
06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
HAHA! It's like The O'Reilly Factor and The Colbert Report.

Ha ha I was thinking the exact same thing.

bellamadia
06-12-2006, 01:02 PM

I'm sure you don't even know 10% so rest easy.

bellamadia
06-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Again, you are entitled to your discomfort. I too, feel a bit uncomfortable when I hear this track, but that's what life is.

Well yes but I bet it made him even MORE uncomfortable to write, sing and perform such raw and honest emotion. Maynard's usually a pretty ambiguous guy; I'm sure it's for good reason. Perhaps he's protective, shy or an introvert... I don't know, but either way, this has to be way out of his comfort zone.

Sanzen
06-12-2006, 01:21 PM
LOL. You feel uncomfortable listening to it? LOL

bellamadia
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM

I don't feel uncomfortable at all, but I'm a pretty open person. I could see how others might not be though.

swampyfool
06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I do. It's the same kind of discomfort I feel any time somebody lays something this emotionally intense on me. You know, like if a friend came to my house out of the blue and started crying over the death of a loved one (or some other tragedy), I'd be uncomfortable because that's a new and unexpected layer of depth to add to a relationship. I wouldn't let on that I was uncomfortable, and I certainly wouldn't tell him that his emotions were not worth venting. The point is that any time a friendship (or any other kind of realtionship) elevates to a new level, there is always a degree of discomfort; as reaching for a new level involves change. Change fundamentally causes a modicum of discomfort as we feel our way through the new conditions on our existence.

I don't know, maybe you can't relate- but if that's the case then maybe it's because you don't have any friends?

OK. That was rude. And speculative to boot. But I have an easier time making rude, speculative comments about people who laugh derisively over humans who display an emotional response. Grow up.

smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I just hope hes joking... Its somones art, your not supposed to be singled out and made important by it. I could write a song about chickens, whats its relevance to you? nothing, but its still a cool song about chickens...

Good point. How is any Tool song IMPORTANT to you? I just think that they rule and even if "Nard was singing about chickens, or even NEBRASKA (of all things) the music would still kick my ass and yours.

Terry21
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm also feelin' a bit uncomfortable listening to it but only becuz the music is crap LOL.

bellamadia
06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm also feelin' a bit uncomfortable listening to it but only becuz the music is crap LOL.

I'm feelin' a bit uncomfortable listening to you but only beCUZ you're an idiot. LOL

Sanzen
06-13-2006, 12:40 PM
lmfao @ this thread

swampyfool
06-13-2006, 11:19 PM
lmfao @ this thread
Laughing my fucking ass off at your shallow and insecure perspective on life.

deuceman
06-14-2006, 02:25 AM

Maynard - to my mind anyway - has always been comfortable revealing very personal or intimate details about himself in his lyrics. Funnily enough he seems to be the exact opposite with regard to journos, interviewers, and the public as a whole.

Songs such as:

Pushit
Maynard's Dick
Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days

to name just a few. And only today I was listening to Prison Sex and wondering (not for the first time) if this is about himself. Could he have been abused or somebody close to him (his sister) have been? I don't know. An entirely different thread...

Sorry, back to the point. I think Maynard has always revealed so much to us in his
words that it was almost natural (or perhaps expected?) for him to do so again with the death of his mother. (And I don't natural as in easy / simple).

I don't think we should be uncomfortable discussing or writing about these two songs, as long as we treat the subject with respect and dignity.

If maynard didn't want people to hear what I believe is his tribute (or eulogy) to his mother, it wouldn't be burned on to a CD, readily available for anyone who cares to hear it.

06-14-2006, 05:54 AM
The guy writes it down as he sees it. Don't over analyse it all. Unless , of course, you actually "like" being sodomised by aliens.

deuceman
06-16-2006, 12:58 AM
The guy writes it down as he sees it. Don't over analyse it all. Unless , of course, you actually "like" being sodomised by aliens.

Umm, I don't recall any Tool song that discusses being sodomised by aliens?

As far as over-analysing goes, I think you're preaching to the wrong people. The forums on this site are the epitomy of over-analysis.

Sanzen
06-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Laughing my fucking ass off at your shallow and insecure perspective on life.

lmao. Jesus. Read that back to yourself and don't laugh. I dare you.

swampyfool
06-16-2006, 12:11 PM
lmao. Jesus. Read that back to yourself and don't laugh. I dare you.
I did that before I posted it.

DON IOTAE
06-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Dudes(ettes), MJK knew that the song he was writing was personal, and was gonna be heard by all his fans.
If you feel uncomfortable listening to this song, check out YOUR relationship with YOUR mum.
Personally speaking, I love this song. It's great. Magnum Opus. Excellent songwriting and musicianship. As is usual with Tool.

swampyfool
06-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Personally speaking, I love this song. It's great. Magnum Opus. Excellent songwriting and musicianship. As is usual with Tool.
Agreed.

Where_Is_Mother
06-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Well I think it's a beautiful song as I just lost my Mother on 6/16/06 and this song and whole album have helped me cope with this loss.

The whole song touches me and I guess you'd have to have suffered a loss such as this to know why he wrote it.

Beautiful.

bellamadia
06-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Well I think it's a beautiful song as I just lost my Mother on 6/16/06 and this song and whole album have helped me cope with this loss.

The whole song touches me and I guess you'd have to have suffered a loss such as this to know why he wrote it.

Beautiful.

Great first post man. Welcome to the site. I am so sorry for your terrible loss. I hope you find our discussions of the music cathartic, I know it can be. Just ignore the jerks and idiots.

DON IOTAE
06-21-2006, 08:07 AM
My condolences on your loss, Where_Is_Mother. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do, or how I would feel in your situation.

Good vibes to you.

Marenco

wearethestories
06-21-2006, 10:11 AM
this song is soley about his mother
actually, I find it to be about hypocrisy (specifically, Christians who don't live as they demand that others live) --- that and his mum

mr. nikki jensen
06-21-2006, 11:22 AM

well, maybe its not important for you to hear about Nards mother.

I bet he does'nt give a fuck about if your interested or not. he speaks from his heart anyway.

by the way, how is it important for me to reply your thread?
cause i can't stand arrogance.....