PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art - Reminds me of Brahma

Drawn Under
05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Did anyone catch onto how the faces on the cover art seem to be reminescent of the hindu god Brahma. One of the hind trimurti (trinity). He has 3 faces on one head. Look on wikipedia for more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahma). He is lacking on being worshipped compared to vishnu and shiva the other two of the trimurti. He is also known as the creator god in hinduism. If you notice on the cover the top of the head veers off full of eyes. This gives the idea of infinity or creation, along the lines of that. Well just some info, i will dig into this deeper soon enough but just thought i'd bring it up. See what you all can find on this.

flawlessme
05-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Yeah it is actually. Thats the first thought I had when I saw the album cover. Well, Alex Grey is quite influenced by hinduism, so I wouldnt be surprised if he meant it to remind us of Brahma.

anfisechka
05-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Hm I thought Brahma was supposed to have 4 heads? Or did one of them get cut off? /been a while since I studied Hinduism. Oh well. Same idea. I remember Brahma being kind of an asshole, so maybe it would make sense that someone cut off one of his heads. What about Purusa?

First thing I noticed in the artwork was that the profile is remarkably reminiscent of Michelangelo's David. Good enough for me.

Drawn Under
05-26-2006, 06:57 PM
alex's artwork also shows this 'potential brahma' having an illunimated third eye which is a sign of enlightenment. Just throiwin some more incite out there. Actually Anfisechka you're right he should have 4 heads but on most artwork, including this, one cannot really draw the four heads so it appears as 3, but yeah your right.
Also Purusa would be a viable guess as well, your on a roll haha. here's an extra bit on that "In Hinduism, Purusha ("Cosmic Man") is the "self" which pervades the universe. The Vedic divinities are considered to be the human mind's interpretation of the many facets of Purusha. According to the Rigvedic Purusha sukta, Purusha was dismembered by the devas -- his mind is the moon, his eyes are the sun, and his breath is the wind.

In Samkhya, a school of Hindu philosophy, Purusha is pure consciousness. It is thought to be our true identity, to be contrasted with Prakrti, or the material world, which contains all of our organs, senses, and intellectual faculties." So again just a lil more
I think either Brahma or Purusha could be applied hear, because Brahma relates to a sort of divine eternal quality, and Purusha to self and pure consciousness, so it seems more divinity through man? i suppose?

Drawn Under
05-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Also the whole part about him being a 'cosmic man' makes me sway more towards the art being inspired by Purusha as well.

BSUfanatic
05-26-2006, 07:29 PM
The album cover art reminds me of the mask worn by the bad guy in The Chronicles of Riddick :p

flawlessme
05-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes, he does have 4 heads, but that can't be shown very well in a picture can it? And Brahma is not supposed to have a third eye, thats actually Shiva. Or maybe what Alex tried to do was form a unision of the holy trinity. Who knows?

Drawn Under
05-26-2006, 09:35 PM
hmm that is a good idea too, now we just need to find qualities of Vishnu in that picture haha and its def a union of the three.

flawlessme
05-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Hehe, well, the features and the colour scheme remind me of Lord Vishnu. So there you go. *We're just trying too hard*

Drawn Under
05-27-2006, 04:51 PM
haha true but nonetheless another great part of this album to analyze! haha

STORMCROW1031
06-01-2006, 03:34 AM
OOOH OOOH! Actually, it was my understanding that the Trimurti which this artwork imitates was more an indication of how in our world everything splits in two: Good/Bad, Male/Female, Smart/Stupid, Believer/Non-Believer and the face in the middle is that of Brahman - that which transcends all these opposites.... and although Brahman is represented as a human face here he isn't really a he but the ultimate energy of the universe (like the Christian "God").

schismfaith
06-06-2006, 05:02 AM
Yes, he does have 4 heads, but that can't be shown very well in a picture can it? And Brahma is not supposed to have a third eye, thats actually Shiva. Or maybe what Alex tried to do was form a unision of the holy trinity. Who knows?

The triniti makes sense in 10.000 days:
"fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father"
Then Marie as the fourth head?